• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

60FPS Black Ops 3 footage from gamescom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=megY8LU3OWA

Not gonna lie, looks so SO much better than Advanced warfare. Everything kept in lanes/view.
The jumping/boosting doesn't seem all that viable in combat (thank god)
The only thing that has me worried a bit is the time to kill, seems a bit faster than Black ops 2, i dont like that.

Cant wait for the beta to see how the connections are.

This should alleviate some worries since there's worry about it being like AW

cod1bgry9.png

legacyzero

Banned
I think the biggest thing (if measured against BLOPS 2) is that all the maps aren't seemingly symetrical, so much so as BLOPS 2. I HATE over abundance of symmetrical maps. They feel like they aren't very inspired in design, and they (to me) lose personality, and aren't very worthy of the "What's your favorite multiplayer map of all time!" discussion.

So there's that.

But to me, COD still doesn't seem to be doing anything notable to evolve the franchise. And even worse, if you're a PC player (while PC Dev is great) we probably aren't going to see what made COD2, COD4, and BLOPS 1 on PC so amazing, and so full of life still today. TRUE dedicated servers, and mod tools.

Sounds good, I want to dive back in (last one I played was BO2)
No beta no buy though, not sure how I can get in, I'm in Europe.

velociraptor

I think the biggest thing (if measured against BLOPS 2) is that all the maps aren't seemingly symetrical, so much so as BLOPS 2. I HATE over abundance of symmetrical maps. They feel like they aren't very inspired in design, and they (to me) lose personality, and aren't very worthy of the "What's your favorite multiplayer map of all time!" discussion.

So there's that.

But to me, COD still doesn't seem to be doing anything notable to evolve the franchise. And even worse, if you're a PC player (while PC Dev is great) we probably aren't going to see what made COD2, COD4, and BLOPS 1 on PC so amazing, and so full of life still today. TRUE dedicated servers, and mod tools.

MW2 had the best maps ever. I thought BLOPS2 was perhaps the second best MP experience for a COD game though.

legacyzero

Banned
MW2 had the best maps ever. I thought BLOPS2 was perhaps the second best MP experience for a COD game though.

I cant agree about BLOPS 2. There was WAY too much focus on SMGs with lasers and hip fire, with tiny corridor maps. It has it's redeeming value sure, but IMO, it doesn't stand up to the ones before it.

Nori Chan

Actually watching the footage, I'm actually hyped for it. Black Ops 2 was solid, not great. But the fact you're not spamming exo movements makes this game 100% better than AW
Wtf? Did people hate advanced warfare seriously? Best COD game in years.

Lol. It was terrible. It made Ghosts look like MW.

Nivert

I thought Advanced Warfare was received exceptionally well. I know opinions and all, but has it's popular perception changed over time?

I think people soured on it over time because it's just too fast and everyone is jumping around 24/7.

meanspartan

I thought Advanced Warfare was received exceptionally well. I know opinions and all, but has it's popular perception changed over time?

Any game in a popular series that makes changes is subject to a backlash, even if critics loved it. A.W. rocked. Much better than MW3 and Ghosts, and on par with any BLOPS title.

Luke_Wal

Is there any news on if Uplink will be returning in BO3? I'm guessing not because it's different devs, but that was probably my favorite mode in AW, and it still fits the aesthetic pretty well.

EDIT: Also, is there sideways boosting? I'm seeing them do the double jump, but I was wondering if the L3 boost to the side is still in? AW was the first one I played, and that's really how I cut my teeth.

Actually watching the footage, I'm actually hyped for it. Black Ops 2 was solid, not great. But the fact you're not spamming exo movements makes this game 100% better than AW

I think it was Drift0r that mentioned in his initial hands on that the game doesn't rely nearly as much on the Exo-style movement. In fact he said it's still very much a ground game. The movement is just to compliment it rather than to have people jumping around like frogs.

Alienous

The 'Supers' seem like just as much of an ill thought out idea as the vertical boost in Advanced Warfare.

Giving players insta-kill gadgets they can pull out of their ass in a pickle doesn't seem like smart design. In the hands of even a moderately skilled player they look like a win-button, and there doesn't seem to be much the other player can do but lose the engagement.

Unlike killstreaks these aren't offensive rewards it seems like you can plan for; "I know someone on the other team called in a Juggernaut suit, so I better watch out". It looks like something you have to accept the possibility of being on the opposite end of and having someone put an end to your killstreak with a one-shot golden gun or a minigun they just pulled out from behind cover. The visual design might provide a hint as to what the enemy might have at their disposal but it adds a whole 'I'm fucked if they're storing a super' metagame that doesn't seem like a good design choice.

Looks pretty good. There's something about the animation in Treyarch's COD's though. The weapons feel like they lack heft, and the character animation feels very weightless and evenly timed; nothing ever feels heavy or impactful.

They make some of my fave COD's to play, but my least favorite to look at. Go fig.

Is there any news on if Uplink will be returning in BO3? I'm guessing not because it's different devs, but that was probably my favorite mode in AW, and it still fits the aesthetic pretty well.

EDIT: Also, is there sideways boosting? I'm seeing them do the double jump, but I was wondering if the L3 boost to the side is still in? AW was the first one I played, and that's really how I cut my teeth.

Uplink is returning.

Call of Duty aesthetics are so worn out to me. The textures look better, everything looks nice and smooth, but the geometry is still super blocky and the world objects look so static and plastic.

The gameplay is even more worn out. Advanced Warfare was an attempt at a change, but Sledgehammer failed in the multiplayer department in my opinion, rubber-banding was terrible.

ViciousDS

Banned
thank you based Treyarch for not making this a fucking jumping jellybean fest.....it looks really, really good. I am so happy we get to play this in a couple weeks beta wise.

Yes, I hated Advanced Warfare....so much maneuverability with utterly atrocious map design and spawns that were as crappy as ghosts.

I really wanna see more of the zombies mode any chance they will show it off or will they hold off on gameplay till release?

ViciousDS

Banned
The 'Supers' seem like just as much of an ill thought out idea as the vertical boost in Advanced Warfare.

Giving players insta-kill gadgets they can pull out of their ass in a pickle doesn't seem like smart design. In the hands of even a moderately skilled player they look like a win-button, and there doesn't seem to be much the other player can do but lose the engagement.

Unlike killstreaks these aren't offensive rewards it seems like you can plan for; "I know someone on the other team called in a Juggernaut suit, so I better watch out". It looks like something you have to accept the possibility of being on the opposite end of and having someone put an end to your killstreak with a one-shot golden gun or a minigun they just pulled out from behind cover. The visual design might provide a hint as to what the enemy might have at their disposal but it adds a whole 'I'm fucked if they're storing a super' metagame that doesn't seem like a good design choice.

don't forget that if you activate it and die instantly you lose it....you can only use it on the current life....so its not too bad if your team can just take down the super user at the time.

Top Bottom