• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

60gb PS3 available at Amazon Now

RumFore

Banned
Either Sony has really stepped up or they got alot of returns. Good for them for bumping output while you can hardly find the Wii which really shouldn't be that complicated to mass produce and get to anyone that wants one. Bestbuy has also had them in stock for hours.

RumpledForeskin said:
Either Sony has really stepped up or they got alot of returns. Good for them for bumping output while you can hardly find the Wii which really shouldn't be that complicated to mass produce and get to anyone that wants one. Bestbuy has also had them in stock for hours.

Days, now? I think we can just safely say, as the thread title over to the right says: If You Want One You Can Get One.

RumpledForeskin said:

it seems to be a combination of Sony getting these PS3's to retailers just short of xmas and the consumers ugency associated with xmas being gone.

I don't think this is a doom & gloom scenario so much as an indication that Sony dropped the ball on taking advantage of xmas, one of the few times when people are MUCH more likely to consider a 500/600$ entertainment device.

Nintendo on the other hand... wtf?

Saoh said:
i cant believe Nintendo isnt able to produce enough consoles.

One wintry morning, I turned a corner in Rockefeller Center and found myself looking at over two hundred people waiting in line at Nintendo World for a Wii, days after Christmas. I can believe it now.

dante786

Banned
There has got to be some insane demand for the wii....right? I was able to pick one up at Target last week, but I got lucky, i walked in looking for something else in the afternoon and managed to snag the last unit in a fresh shipment.

I'm not judging anything prematurely, because I'm sure it will ultimately do very well, but the PS3 could be in some trouble here, demand has got to be falling off for this thing. Either that, or Sony's production is mind boggling. They're available at amazon and best buy online, and I walked into my target and best buy in the past two weeks and saw units sitting around waiting to be sold. Could be a tough spring for PS3.

SuperPac

Saoh said:
both versions are available.

i cant believe Nintendo isnt able to produce enough consoles.

BUT, Nintendo has produced more of Wii than Sony has of PS3, and have already launched it in more territories. This is more a case of demand still being very high for Wii, and leveling off a bit for PS3.

I dunno if it's that surprising considering one console is half the price of the other. Supply was going to meet demand for PS3 faster than it would for Wii anyway. That it happened this fast is good news if only because Sony's really delivering new systems to the market at a continual pace. And it's effectively destroyed the scalper market which was, IMO, hurting more than helping anyway.

ypo

"Its number two on top sellers."

Lies and Sony moneyhat. No one wants one.

Damn I should've waited, no tax on Amazon. Shiiieete

rage1973

I finally found a 20 Gig model and placed the order now. Only if I can find a game I want to purchase after Resistance.

Link316

Banned
Amazon's top sellers

#2 - PS3 60GB
#8 - PS2
#10 - 360
#36 - PS2 Silver
#42 - PS3 20GB
#66 - 360 Core
#74 - Wii

PS3's not the one with demand problems...

Link316 said:
Amazon's top sellers

#2 - PS3 60GB
#8 - PS2
#10 - 360
#36 - PS2 Silver
#42 - PS3 20GB
#66 - 360 Core
#74 - Wii

Well that wraps it up for Amazon as a demand predictor.

Great Rumbler said:
I saw some 60Gigs at my local Best Buy [five to be exact], so anyone that wants one might want to check there first.

DAMN YOU LOCAL BEST BUY! GET SOME MORE 60g PS3's IN! BASTARDS!

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Futureshop in Canada got in 1000 units. It's not a stretch to expect that Amazon/Best Buy received more (or even much more).

Link316 said:
Amazon's top sellers

#2 - PS3 60GB
#8 - PS2
#10 - 360
#36 - PS2 Silver
#42 - PS3 20GB
#66 - 360 Core
#74 - Wii

lolz can't wait for ps2 npd numbers. huge drop-off amirite? :lol

Razoric

Banned
Link316 said:
Amazon's top sellers

#2 - PS3 60GB
#8 - PS2
#10 - 360
#36 - PS2 Silver
#42 - PS3 20GB
#66 - 360 Core
#74 - Wii

:lol

Some of you are getting really desperate now. Clinging to Amazon.com Top 10 charts.

Btw, it was #14 an hour ago. It's good to check these charts hourly and not take any one list as a sign of anything.

Jim

Buy this item with Ridge Racer 7 by Namco today!
Total List Price: $659.98
Buy Together Today: $659.81

What a bargain! :lol

So no one believed that production probs have been solved? Clearly, the major ones have been. I'd this this bodes very well for the March euro launch.

#74 - Wii
Err... because Amazon has way more PS3s as compared to Wiis, to sell at the moment.
It's not overall sales. It's based on actually being able to puchase the thing, not on page views.

Forsete

Jim said:
So no one believed that production probs have been solved? Clearly, the major ones have been. I'd this this bodes very well for the March euro launch.

That puts a :D on my face. I hope they go for a early EARLY EU release.

Any chance we'll get the release date at CES?

Jammy

Banned
Link316 said:
Amazon's top sellers

#2 - PS3 60GB
#8 - PS2
#10 - 360
#36 - PS2 Silver
#42 - PS3 20GB
#66 - 360 Core
#74 - Wii

The Wii isn't even available. You can only buy it off of random sellers for almost twice the price. I assure you if they had systems they'd sell out in seconds, like they did during the weekend.

Jim said:
What a bargain! :lol

I'd say you're right. No more September nonsense for our Euro cousins. That sounded like crap the first time it was "leaked"

SuperPac

krypt0nian said:
DAMN YOU LOCAL BEST BUY! GET SOME MORE 60g PS3's IN! BASTARDS!

Did you not attend the New Year's Eve Best Buy PS3 bonanza? Plenty of systems available for at least the first hour or two here (and I'm in a major metro, at a high-traffic Best Buy).

SuperPac said:
Did you not attend the New Year's Eve Best Buy PS3 bonanza? Plenty of systems available for at least the first hour or two here (and I'm in a major metro, at a high-traffic Best Buy).

I'm thinking that I'll see some by this weekend or early next week at the latest. Yes please.

I don't know how people can look at November NPD and the two December projections we've seen and accuse Nintendo of having supply issues. Both projections are calling for roughly 700k PS3s and over a million Wiis.

Plug "PlayStation 3" into BestBuy.com. It'll take you right to a page where it's available. Click "Video games and systems." A big banner saying "PS3 is in stock, click here to buy." Type in "Nintendo Wii". 64 items, none of which is the console. Click Wii on the sidebar, and you see an alert that says that they won't even make a page for Wii because it's not in stock. Demand is so high that it's not worth making a page with a Sold Out sign on the left side.

Combine that with what we know about NPD and December sales predictions. Just think about it. It's not some vast condemnation of PS3, it's not doom and gloom, it's just the way things are right now.

Hunter D

I stand corrected then. PS3s aren't hard to find though. I went to my mom and pop store and they had it in stock.

mj1108 said:
Wii's are.

PS3's aren't exactly easy either, at brick and mortar. Improving, but PS2/360 level or anything. More like DS-level I guess (you can find them if you try, but you're flipping a coin if you just stroll into a store and look).

I'd say it's now safe to assume that Sony's container ship shipments are now arriving on these shores. No more airlifts of a few thousand consoles a day.

That is all.

Jim

Hunter D said:
I stand corrected then. PS3s aren't hard to find though. I went to my mom and pop store and they had it in stock.

So that means that every store in every town has them in stock also? It's anecdotal. Everyone likes to think they live in the center of the universe and what happens there must be the case everywhere.

Supplies are way up, but it's still damn near impossible for some people to walk into a store and find them. Within the next couple of weeks, sure. But not now.

Monster shipments are just arriving from overseas and are landing in stores by the truckload.

Saoh

BenjaminBirdie said:
One wintry morning, I turned a corner in Rockefeller Center and found myself looking at over two hundred people waiting in line at Nintendo World for a Wii, days after Christmas. I can believe it now.

SuperPac said:
BUT, Nintendo has produced more of Wii than Sony has of PS3, and have already launched it in more territories. This is more a case of demand still being very high for Wii, and leveling off a bit for PS3.

i know, and i understand that, but MY GOD this is getting silly now :p they should use boost power on their factories.

i guess im desperate because i want mine now and i refuse to pay more than $250.

Its surprising to me that some particular regions are starting to get enough PS3 supply to meet demand. I mean, after the launch numbers in both JP and NA, I thought it would take...many more months to meet demand. Bodes well for the EU release but I dont think it bodes that well for Sony, as this seems like low demand rather than big supply.

Of course this is anecdotal right now, but if the trend follows...

Razoric

Banned
Link316 said:
neither is the Silver PS2 but its still ranked higher than the Wii

Maybe because it sold out later than the Wii?

Don't cite charts when you don't even understand how they work.

Luckyman said:
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=12280

Lazard is saying 500k PS3s and more than 600k Wiis for Dec. But these projections can be off by a mile.

Which is why I stated November NPD first.

I have seen no projections putting Wii at lower shipments than PS3. Yet certain people will see some hint of PS3s not being sold out and act like Sony is shipping them in droves and Nintendo is barely shipping any. All signs point to Nintendo shipping even more, and selling even more.

bud

Link316 said:
Amazon's top sellers

#2 - PS3 60GB
#8 - PS2
#10 - 360
#36 - PS2 Silver
#42 - PS3 20GB
#66 - 360 Core
#74 - Wii

PEOPLE ARE BUYING PS3'S?! SONY IS DOOMED

Top Bottom