• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

62% of all full PlayStation game sales were digital in 2020

How often do you buy physical copies ?

• All my games

Votes: 51 22.8%
  • Most of my games

Votes: 68 30.4%
  • 50/50

Votes: 31 13.8%
  • I buy some physical, but mostly digital

Votes: 29 12.9%
  • I only buy digital games

Votes: 45 20.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Malcolm9

"While COVID-19 and the global pandemic led to many highstreet retailers closing in a number of countries, there were many other avenues which players could buy physical disks, such as e-commerce."

That logic seems a bit flawed. Many people didn't go to BestBuy or GameStop to buy games because they were afraid to go anywhere. Plus, when your stuck at home and want to play a game, why would you buy a physical copy online when you can play digitally within a few hours?

Once I can actually walk into Bestbuy without fear of getting my family sick, I will not be making many digital purchases at all.

Honestly, from a statistical perspective, all the sales numbers for 2020 and 2021 should have a huge asterisk next to them.
I mean you can usually get the game next day if you order online, if you really want physical the option is there.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
That's fine unless the game you want isn't on Game Pass, which is the case for most.

Not really, but even if you concede that point, the digital games pricing drops like a rock after a few months...... my xbox digital collection has 300 games in it now, most were between $10-$20. The idea that digital buying is "way more expensive" is straight up false.

Honestly my time is worth more money than the effort and storage it would take to deal with physical media, and constantly trying to sell back these games. I have no issue supporting devs for what is a very expensive development process, especially since it's still far cheaper than many hobbies.

Downloading in rest mode, awaiting digital releases which are available without any physical swapping of discs and at 9 pm PST the day before official release, that's worth it for me. I've never been the type to resell games in general.

Good for you that you believe the Tale of "supporting the devs".😂🤣

In the first place you support the video game industry and the CEOs.

In reality the devs get Jack Shit from your support. More digital sales and less phsyical games and used games more profits for the CEO's.

Supporting the devs biggest bullshit I heard for a long time.🤣😂

Gloomnivore

Digital all the way this gen. Physical editions aren’t what they used to be. You always have to go part digital with everything you buy now. I’d rather have no game on my shelf than half of one.

Topher

Gold Member
Not really, but even if you concede that point, the digital games pricing drops like a rock after a few months...... my xbox digital collection has 300 games in it now, most were between $10-$20. The idea that digital buying is "way more expensive" is straight up false.

Yeah, really. Either way, digital pricing is slower to come down than physical since publishers need to move out that inventory especially for games that not highly rated. I'm not arguing that digital is "way more expensive" so no idea who you are quoting. Yes, there are definitely some great deals to be had on digital games especially on PC where there is no physical inventory to compete with.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
PC gamers have been doing just fine. You can live your life preparing for a zombie invasion but don’t act disappointed when it doesn’t happen.
And you assure me that this "Steam" platform will be available for the rest of my life?

Obviously you know that it is not possible ... and you know well that now it is very difficult to play the titles from before on new platforms, if not try to play Commandos 3 Destination berlin on PC ... obviously it is not possible because of the software you already have a long time and is not suitable for playing on modern Windows.

Thirty7ven

Banned
And you assure me that this "Steam" platform will be available for the rest of my life?

Obviously you know that it is not possible ... and you know well that now it is very difficult to play the titles from before on new platforms, if not try to play Commandos 3 Destination berlin on PC ... obviously it is not possible because of the software you already have a long time and is not suitable for playing on modern Windows.

Some people will take upon themselves to be responsible for game preservation, and some of those people will reap the rewards. The only way to do it proper is to preserve the hardware it was meant to be played on and always buy physical. I’m glad these people exist.

Be one of those people and reap the rewards.

EruditeHobo

Good for you that you believe the Tale of "supporting the devs".😂🤣

In the first place you support the video game industry and the CEOs.

In reality the devs get Jack Shit from your support. More digital sales and less phsyical games and used games more profits for the CEO's.

Supporting the devs biggest bullshit I heard for a long time.🤣😂

I know what actual sales mean for developers, not secondary market purchases but buying the product from the dev/publisher. That's why I'm principled about it, having worked in the industry for 13 years.

Last edited:
Top Bottom