• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

66th Primetime Emmy Nominations Announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
e3Du0nn.jpg

mcchaughnohayyyyyp3d1x.gif

Cerberus

The biggest snub is Michael Sheen. This guy is the on the same level as Cranston and McConaughey.

I like Diana Rigg in GoT, but I would've nominated Julianne Nicholson for Guest Actress.

No Pedro Pascal or Michael Pitt :(

Kinda funny that Girls got a Best Comedy nom last year but didn't this year when it actually improved considerably.

Though it really didn't deserve the nom either year, truth be told. Silicon Valley definitely deserved it more.

royalan

The Actress categories are a fuckin joke.

No Tatiana Maslany.

No Emmy Rossum.

MORE Julianne Margu-Oh-My-God-Is-She-Even-Awake-Right-Now?

I'm out.

Kadayi

Banned
If he wants to bitch about not getting Emmy love, he should write a show that's worthy of being one of the top 6 greatest television dramas. It's not. It's a bad soap opera with a hyper masculine veneer that borrows from soaps like Dynasty and Desperate Housewives without being nearly as compelling.

You forgot massively contrived and cliché riddled in that smackdown as well Ivy.

Gave it the benefit of the doubt up until they started paling around with the IRA (because fuck terrorists) but seriously the only draw to the show seemed to be Perlman and Sagal. Hunnam with his perpetual 'shat my pants' pimp roll was a joke of a lead.

It really sucks Tatiana Maslany was snubbed once again. Whether she would win or not I don't know, as I haven't seen all the competition in that category, but she certainly deserved at least a nomination for Orphan Black no doubt.

I think they're likely judging on performance versus versatility. I think as an actress she's great in OB, but at the same time I wouldn't put OB in the same category of television as BB, TD or Mad Men.

An Emmy nom/win for Tatiana Maslany is as much as Orphan Black really needs.

She is the show. A nomination for her might as well be a nomination for the show itself.

royalan

Oh wow. Jesus christ.

Sorry, my roommate is obsessed with this show. I have followed it since season one, and I just for the life of me cannot figure out what makes her so great in it. Season 1, MAYBE season 2 I could see it. Now? Her performance is so lethargic. But I guess that's depth.

An Emmy nom/win for Tatiana Maslany is as much as Orphan Black really needs.

She is the show. A nomination for her might as well be a nomination for the show itself.

I quit the show midway through the new season, it went so far up it's own butt with that plot. I agree she is 100% the show

cLOUDo

i was expecting a nomonation for Pedro Pascal in Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series

And wtf with Hannibal and Parks

ivysaur12

Banned
Sorry, my roommate is obsessed with this show. I have followed it since season one, and I just for the life of me cannot figure out what makes her so great in it. Season 1, MAYBE season 2 I could see it. Now? Her performance is so lethargic. But I guess that's depth.

She was absolutely perfect this season and deserves that Emmy nomination more than most.

Blader

I quit the show midway through the new season, it went so far up it's own butt with that plot. I agree she is 100% the show

I like Orphan Black and still watch it, but as a pretty attentive viewer, I have to say I don't have a fucking clue what the plot is even about anymore -- and I don't think the writers do either.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so can Game of Thrones even have a lead actor nom the way the show works? I see that Peter Dinklage is nominated as a supporting actor

Showaddy

I'm really shocked Pascal didn't get a nom, performance aside there was a ridiculous amount of buzz surrounding his character by the seasons end.

I like Orphan Black and still watch it, but as a pretty attentive viewer, I have to say I don't have a fucking clue what the plot is even about anymore -- and I don't think the writers do either.

Have you seen utopia? That does conspiracy tv better. Check that out, or wait for finchers hbo remake

commedieu

Banned
The forget about Hannibal once again.

Its a shallow show. Performances aren't that great, neither is the writing. Its embarrassing to even be related to the original material. Its not clever, it doesn't exceed at anything more so than any of the other nominations.

I really do feel like True Detective needs to be in a class of its own. That is phenomenal writing, acting, and cinematography. Its almost bad luck for Hannibal to be in a sea of actual good content.

Absolute rubbish, and it is no slight that it isn't included. Imho.

i'm a fan of the show but was a weak season
and let's be honest ... HBO dont Give A F*ck about the show right now

Weak season? Boardwalk is the first show since the wire (except for s5) that got consistently better every year

Dat ensemble demolishes the robots in Hannibal. Hell they had to get a boardwalk guy in to splash some damn life into the show. Get Michael Shannon in next

royalan

She was absolutely perfect this season and deserves that Emmy nomination more than most.

Meh, I think there were better performances this past year. The more TV I watch, the more amazed I am by the sheer variety and quality of performances out there. It really makes this list of noms feel boring and safe to me. But obviously I'm not on the committee that decides these things, so I'll just keep doing what everyone else in this thread is doing: bitching about our faves who didn't make the cut.

ivysaur12

Banned
Meh, I think there were better performances this past year. The more TV I watch, the more amazed I am by the sheer variety and quality of performances out there. It really makes this list of noms feel boring and safe to me. But obviously I'm not on the committee that decides these things, so I'll just keep doing what everyone else in this thread is doing: bitching about our faves who didn't make the cut.

I'm not defending the list of choices, but I found her to give an amazing performance this past season that absolutely deserved a nomination.

But you disagree. And he were are, since these things are subjective! :p

cLOUDo

Weak season? Boardwalk is the first show since the wire (except for s5) that got consistently better every year

Dat ensemble demolishes the robots in Hannibal

is was weaker than season 3 and season 3 don't get a nomination last year
actually my rank is
season 2 > 1> 3 > 4

but is still better than downton abbey and Mad Men IMO

is was weaker than season 3 and season 3 don't get a nomination last year
actually my rank is
season 2 > 1> 3 > 4

but is still better than downton abbey and Mad Men IMO

Mad men is the show I'll miss the most out of all currently in discussion

The week by week lives of these characters is....blessed

Here are my wishes for the categories that interest me:

Outstanding Drama Series
"True Detective"

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series
Matthew McConaughey, "True Detective"

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series
Claire Danes, "Homeland"

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series
Mandy Patinkin, "Homeland"

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series
Lena Headey, "Game Of Thrones"

I really do feel like True Detective needs to be in a class of its own. That is phenomenal writing, acting, and cinematography. Its almost bad luck for Hannibal to be in a sea of actual good content.

Nevermind your insane comments about Hannibal, but True Detective was so uneven when it came to writing. The (well-written and eloquent) monologues that ended up amounting to nothing, the by-the-numbers procedural element, the tired good vs. evil themes, the absurd big bad, the conflicted portrayal of women...and that's not even mentioning the instances of straight up comically BAD writing.

True Detective is a show that acts like its going to provide a new perspective on what it means to try to exist as a human being and what it means to be good, by concluding that yes, the two leads are good guys, that the world is just a battle between good and evil.

So original!

For the record, I could probably watch the first 4, maybe 5 episodes of True Detective on repeat, because at that point, you still think the show is going to do something different...and then the rest of the season happens.

Kallor

I'll be happy with ether Mcconaughey or Cranston winning. I'll take BB over TD though. TD had an amazing first half and a good second half with a pretty weak finale IMO. Weaker than BB's finale for sure.

Too bad for Boardwalk Empire. It's better than at least two of those shows on that list. Top tier tv.

Monocle

Its a shallow show. Performances aren't that great, neither is the writing. Its embarrassing to even be related to the original material. Its not clever, it doesn't exceed at anything more so than any of the other nominations.

WTF

GladiatoR

Banned

This x1000.

Excluding Breaking Bad, True Detective outclasses EVERYTHING else by quite some distance. Near utter perfection.

Meier

People crying over nonsense like Hannibal when Boardwalk isn't even on there.
Let's be honest, Boardwalk is not a particularly great show. It's significantly less interesting than just about any marquee series HBO has ever had.

Orphan Black season 2 was also colossally disappointing IMO. Completely boring and uninteresting for the most part. Tatiana should be recognized but what a come down on the whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom