• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

7 years later, what are your thoughts on Infamous: Second Son?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
That red lightning looks amazing. Blue as well, with the shadows casting.

I miss this game..

If you remember: Blue is being the good guy, red is the bad guy. Cole was a much better character, and like the serious tone he brings than this goofy guy in second son.

Kagero

I enjoyed it. I remember insanely beautiful graphics but the world seemed a little dead. Would prefer another one over ghosts to be honest.

If you remember: Blue is being the good guy, red is the bad guy. Cole was a much better character, and like the serious tone he brings than this goofy guy in second son.
Of course I remember! Played Infamous first day I bought my ps3.

Delsin was not likeable. Cole wasn't much of a character, but I can't remember cringing at anything.

I enjoyed it and the add on but I know a lot of folks didn't and I even agree with some of their complaints. I loved the first two

I wish it would come back

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Cole fanboys have to be kidding about him being the better protag. He was boring af and Zeke too. He was better on 2 but that Space Marine look was just... and that monotone voice... Delsin and Reggie, that's where its at.
An Infamous game with good writing would be GOTY.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I enjoyed it a lot, and it's still one of the better looking PS4 games, but in terms of enemy variety etc it was a big step down from Infamous 2.

I hope they do another one eventually, love the series.

Last edited:
Rather they do a “The Boys“ video game. I have my super hero intake from spiderman. Dont need a infamous game rather they do a “small“ 50$ sly cooper game, then a Ghost sequel. Second Son is lower than Days Gone for me. Low Tier first party games.

Kuranghi

I played both last year for the first year, back to back.

I really liked SS a lot, but First Light, from a pure gameplay perspective, really hit the right spot for me, the slow motion weakspot shooting was extremely fun and getting a crazy combo going in that "training" part of the game was really satisfying. Good sound design and visual feedback and some of the later missions were insanely tough with 10s of waves but I don't know why losing the combo never really frustrated me because the gameplay was so fun the completion of the challenges was just a bonus, the skill points gave a good feedback loop for unlocking cool new stuff like the burst nearby enemies on death skill

The neon movement in First Light was improved in a few small ways but just that made it a lot more fun than in SS, that needs to be the template for a Flash game's movement if one is ever made. When I had access to the City and picked up the first collectible I just didn't stop until I had them all, maybe 30-45 mins, it was so so satisfying.

The character face tech is really impressive in the game, a few standout cutscenes I still think look better than almost everything else since, the story is a bit mad and felt all over the place in terms of pacing but I was doing the side stuff in between so that probably made it worse, still had fun with them most of the time though. The story missions were actually pretty good for the most part with good variety in what you were doing.

The side missions and activities were mostly fun but the security camera one was a bit rote, felt like the CPU was cheating you with how fast it moved but its like pigeons in Spiderman, even if kept up with them for the first 5 seconds or so you would be blocked from capturing it until a certain point, I know its just in there to stop it from being trivalised but it felt like you weren't being rewarded for having quick reactions.

I don't mind silly spray can motion stuff, at least its different and there aren't so many to make it annoying. The graphics in general are pretty spectacular still and the HDR presentation is one of the best I've seen, you really need to set the contrast to "low" to make it look right on a VA FALD LCD or OLED, otherwise the blacks are nearly crushed. It might be more tolerable if you have gamma at 2.2 (usually default gamma or "low") but its still mental, they added the contrast low setting after they realised they had tested the game on lower contrast displays and not realised this would be an issue with the previously mentioned panel types.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Everyone always praises InFamous 2 but I didnt have a great time with it, I got bored a few hours in, would go back and try again with a remaster for PS4/PS5 though because I loved the first one. A Spyro/Destroy All Humans! style asset remake of 1+2 would be ace beans.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
A visual spectacle at the time and still looks good today. The powers were fun to play with, too. A nice departure from the electric powers of Cole from the earlier games to set it apart. I also really appreciated the attempts to utilize the various features of the DualShock 4. That being said, the lacking enemy variety compared to the earlier entries was a big letdown. I didn't find Delsin nearly as appealing as Cole. One of the things I liked about the first two games were the plot twists and holding back who the main antagonists were until much closer to the end. Instead, Second Son opted to reveal the antagonist from pretty much the beginning of the game and any revelations or twists felt very weak and predictable.

I also didn't care for how Sucker Punch, once again, basically gave you the option at the very end to make a choice that would completely change which moral direction your character was heading. Having multiple endings should require a build up from things you did earlier that could inevitably lock you down particular paths. Having what was essentially a "morality reset button" at the end that trivialized everything you did up to that point felt cheap. Though I can understand arguments for it.

The game felt rather short and the side missions were mostly very forgettable. It was probably the weakest title Sucker Punch has done outside of stand alone expansions but it was rather fun overall. I hope that if they go back to Infamous some day they make Delsin the new villain. Have him canonically choose to be corrupt and evil. Cole makes his return after many assumed him dead and only after Delsin has cut a swath through the world with hardly anyone who can face him. His powers growing exponentially after all these years of absorbing other powers. Either make Delsin the main antagonist but don't reveal who exactly it is until much later or make Delsin the initial villain but then drop the bombshell that he's just a pawn of sorts and the real villain is his brother who we believed dead, like Cole.

Bragr

Banned
I remember the brother was great, he had really good voice acting.

842f5384d6e6c52b56082191e4482cea.png

For a game that came out super early into that generation, I thought it was - and still is - graphically and technically impressive.

I agree on the lack of enemy variety and etc, and that's why the game to be is slightly above average but not a god send.

But, I think when it came to an early gen game with enough frenetic energy in its minute to minute gameplay and some really interesting mechanics with really cool visual cues and sound design, it was fucking tits.

Overall, a 7/10 - must buy game for early PS4 adopters.

Neolombax

I loved that game. I felt it was an amazing experience back when it launched, and graphically I still think its one of the better PS4 games out there. My only issue is that the powers weren't expanded enough due to having 4 different powers. They should have stuck to 1 or maybe 2 powers at most. That said, infamous 2 is still my favourite in the series.

Totally enjoyed it as well as First Light. Liked the characters a lot, couldn't get enough of the Neon power. I'm also a fan of the dual morality thing they do in the series, it's light but well done. Spider-Man filled up the super-hero slot for Sony though, for the moment I like Sucker Punch doing Ghost of Tsushima.

That's the thing with Sony studios, most of the time (even if only slightly successful) they're allowed to mature and develop a franchise and evolve it into something greater, and then they may take that experience and talent to a whole new higher level, like Insomniac with Spider-man, Sucker P with Ghost, Naughty Dog with their numerous franchises.

Last edited:
It was pretty bland. Definitely one of the weakest PS4 exclusives. Much better PS4 games to play now

Last edited:

Chukhopops

I really disliked the protagonist and the powers compared to 1 and 2 which I really loved on PS3. But the game looked really impressive so as a technical showcase it was good.

slade

An Infamous game with good writing would be GOTY.

That first game had a good story. Especially the plot twist at the end. The game itself feels technically dated though since it was one of the first on PS3 and developers were just getting used to the hardware. Infamous 2 was also good and was much better looking tech wise. I was hoping Sucker Punch would slowly create their own superhero universe with different protagonists but I felt they dropped the ball with Second Son. I liked the game but the story was kinda just there. Their base story is still good and they can do a lot with it but after GoT's success, I think Infamous is done.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
Haven't played the main game, but a few years back I played the expansion that had you play as a cutie instead of that dude who looks like an idiot.

It was fun, and I think I platinumed it? If the main game played the same way then I'd probably enjoy it too.

Kupfer

First of all : I find most superheroes boring. Accordingly, superhero or antihero games usually don't interest me. However, Control is an exception.
About Infamous, I started the part on the ps3 that was free at some point as an excuse for the PSN hack and uninstalled it after a few hours. Second son was on PsPlus at one point and months later I was in a slump and needed something to play. I was surprised at how pleasantly not-THAT-much-crappy the protagonist was, even though he embodies everything that is crap. The gameplay was fine and carried the game, the story I can no longer remember and after 20h or so I saw the credits. Second Son was a nice pastime and for a superhero game quite ok, the particle effects and some sets were really good.

Duchess

I really enjoyed it. I'm one trophy away from a platinum, but have yet to start playing it through again.

IKSTUGA

It was one of the first PS4 games I got and I literally don't remember anything about the game. Definitely not a masterpiece.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It is one of best PS4 games.
Just cmon... Tv power? Concrete power?

The game should have been just focused about smoke and neon powers. They were great and different enough. But the other 2 were completely unnecessary

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
Never understood why people liked the game. It felt really generic and got uttterly repetitive within the 2 hours mark for me. Dropped it soon after.

Exceptional graphics for it being a launch window game. Inconsistent story but fun gameplay.
Variety was its biggest flaw. Boring villain. Delsin and Fetch were ok, I liked them a lot.

makaveli60

One of my favorite games and I didn’t like the previous entries. This was my first ”this is nextgen“ game on ps4. The setting, mood and music were also awesome and I liked Delsin and the powers, especially neon. I would really like a sequel.

I prefer it to the likes of God of War and Ghosts in all honesty. I know I’m in a minority with that view, each to their own tastes I guess.

Sucker Punch would do a great job with the X-Men IP.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Almost got every trophy l really enjoyed it so much played the game twice to be more good than bad to see the different story line and subsequent ending.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
It’s not “incredibly underrated” at all

I had a blast playing it and I felt like it deserved higher praise than it received. Pretty much the definition of "underrated" so for me, yeah it was.

Sucks that opinions you disagree with upset you.

Everyone always praises InFamous 2 but I didnt have a great time with it, I got bored a few hours in, would go back and try again with a remaster for PS4/PS5 though because I loved the first one. A Spyro/Destroy All Humans! style asset remake of 1+2 would be ace beans.
Tbh I would not want them touching the graphics of any ps3 game to that degree ; they’re good enough already and I want the art as is.

Maybe like what they did in uncharted 2 remastered at most. Which looks really faithful yet better.

Ditto for something like a ratchet future remaster ; we have the remake and rift apart that already look really similar but tools and crack in time look really unique in comparison.

Btw you think I should pick up first light? You mentioned the movement feels better which has me wondering, although I’m not crazy about playing as Fetch.

HotPocket69

Banned
I had a blast playing it and I felt like it deserved higher praise than it received. Pretty much the definition of "underrated" so for me, yeah it was.

Sucks that opinions you disagree with upset you.

No one is upset honey lol

It’s got an aggregate score of 82 with six million copies sold.

That’s not underrated.

Last edited:
Top Bottom