• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

7 years on, would Cyberpunk 2077's reveal trailer be "allowed" today?

Pagusas

Elden Member
I am wondering if we'll reach a day where even having a villian in your media is considered bad/raciest/inappropriate. If the villian is a rapist? "oh no we cant have that". If the villian wants to destroy the planet? "thats racist to all races".

Like... I worry alot about the future of literature.

Yams

It would be allowed if she looked like this:

1*41A_Qbcs20gSuH0t2i2x-Q.jpeg

Maybe it would be allowed, but we'd all have to read page upon page of GAF's triggered reactions to it for months on end. Both sides are tiring.

PhoenixTank

If you enjoyed this thread, you can also play it on Xbox 360, Xbox One & Steam!

IaqI4Tf.jpg

I've also never played Halo Reach and have no real opinion on it. Not trying to start a console war here.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I might be wrong here, but Cyberpunk 2077 has character creation, dose it not? If it does you can simply make the character to look however you want, why does it matter how default character looks like?

Madflavor

That tràiler was beautiful.

It's a shame how dissapointing the game looks right now.

Game looks pretty good, and everyone who's played it either gushed about it, or had mostly positive things to say. I would say it has more to do with your expectations, which I don't mean as slight against you. The game's been in development for 7 years. That's a lot of time to picture in your head what the game should look like. I had a very different idea in my head 7 years ago what this game would have looked like. I pictured it as a groundbreaking, next-gen spiritual successor to Mass Effect, except in the cyberpunk universe, with Blade Runner paint.

Ultimately though, I'm happy with what I'm seeing.

Jon Neu

Banned
Game looks pretty good, and everyone who's played it either gushed about it, or had mostly positive things to say. I would say it has more to do with your expectations, which I don't mean as slight against you. The game's been in development for 7 years. That's a lot of time to picture in your head what the game should look like. I had a very different idea in my head 7 years ago what this game would have looked like. I pictured it as a groundbreaking, next-gen spiritual successor to Mass Effect, except in the cyberpunk universe, with Blade Runner paint.

Ultimately though, I'm happy with what I'm seeing.

I wasn’t even that interested in this game, but the more we approach the launch, the more they announce features that were supposed to exist that will not exist anymore, the more crappy gameplay is shown (the katana gameplay is just horrid) and the hype has just dissapeared.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I was watching this trailer recently and it dawned on me that something like this would not be "acceptable" in today's environment. Or am I wrong? I thought this was a particularly interesting example because we haven't had many games that have been in development for long enough to have crossed the pre/post SJW movement. A few possible thoughts of contention:

1) Here you have a beautiful woman - does this objectify women?
2) She's on her knees - really? A woman can only be portrayed as weak?
3) The blood might be interpreted as a "damsel in distress", she's hurt and needs saving.
4) Her augmentations; a woman can't be "complete" without "man kind's" interference.
5) God only knows what other insanity you could infer from this trailer.

iu

Thoughts? Could this trailer be released in 2020 without facing a shitstorm?
Weak? If I remember correctly, she took a bullet to her face and has arm claws...I think the ones shooting need saving.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Weak? If I remember correctly, she took a bullet to her face and has arm claws...I think the ones shooting need saving.
Her face, or part of it, is probably detachable (like seen in the 2nd 2077 trailer) so not really an issue and easily replaced.

The claws are Mantis Blades. You definitely don't want to be hit with them.

She is very dangerous. The guys shooting at her are part of the Psycho Squad. They go after people who have gone "Psycho" because of the severe modifications they've gone through. She's probably more android/robot than human. The Psycho Squad dudes are tough and not really in danger from her.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I might be wrong here, but Cyberpunk 2077 has character creation, dose it not? If it does you can simply make the character to look however you want, why does it matter how default character looks like?
Yeah it has got character creation.

It doesn't matter what the default one looks like. I'm pretty sure we'll be able to make female V look like she originally did.

I was watching this trailer recently and it dawned on me that something like this would not be "acceptable" in today's environment. Or am I wrong? I thought this was a particularly interesting example because we haven't had many games that have been in development for long enough to have crossed the pre/post SJW movement. A few possible thoughts of contention:

1) Here you have a beautiful woman - does this objectify women?
2) She's on her knees - really? A woman can only be portrayed as weak?
3) The blood might be interpreted as a "damsel in distress", she's hurt and needs saving.
4) Her augmentations; a woman can't be "complete" without "man kind's" interference.
5) God only knows what other insanity you could infer from this trailer.

iu

Thoughts? Could this trailer be released in 2020 without facing a shitstorm?
Interesting take I think it would gander heat from a certain sub set of people I think when ever R* shows off GTA we could make a comparison.

If one was smart and had balls they could ride that hate wave as free publicity.

Make something really good that non-disabled people would like, but that would trigger the deranged mindset of the ree child.

Honey Bunny

Allowed? sure.

But they wouldn't make it this way today because of sensitivities to a range of minor offences, I'm also sure.

McCheese

Those large boobs and that small jawline are transphobic, they would definitely be brave and stunning by making her more androgynous. Just look at what they did with the female main character over the last few years, went from cyber hottie to cyber nottie.

Last edited:

notseqi

Agreed, I'm definitely guilty as being as bad as them sometimes. Ping ponging between extremes is the best way to find the middle ground IMO. I hate finding myself on either ends of the extreme left and right. And forcing myself to see both perspectives is healthy IMO. I force myself to watch alt right and alt left videos on youtube for example. It's painful but very useful.
While I believe that your intentions for this thread are of a sinister nature I don't want to ignore it, and say this: You don't have to find the middle ground for yourself. There is 'good' stuff you could not give a shit about, and 'bad' stuff you will recognize as being fun decades on. No inner turmoil needed.

The middle ground is when you are conveying your opinion to somebody else and find yourself disagreeing, but are willing to reach an agreement.

Tschumi

Well, I guess you're not being entirely serious with this... If anything I think some people might like the idea of the 'pretty woman' prostitute bot freaking out and massacring a few men :p I dunno, to me this advert is at best neutral~

... Very much bummed out about how man years it's been...

Madflavor

I wasn’t even that interested in this game, but the more we approach the launch, the more they announce features that were supposed to exist that will not exist anymore, the more crappy gameplay is shown (the katana gameplay is just horrid) and the hype has just dissapeared.

I'll give you this, the gameplay looks average, to put it fairly. But so far they seem to be nailing the atmosphere, the RPG elements, and the story looks interesting. And really I would say that those are the most important parts of what this game is trying to be.

It's still allowed today, who's going to stop you? A woman? An internet troll? A feminist? Who cares, freedom of art expression isn't illegal, designing skimpy women is perfectly legal and allowed today, and will always be allowed, until this country become a communism or dictatorship.

There was some whining about it back then. I remember someone on the giant bomb cast groaning about it. I can't imagine what it would be like now.

anothertech

She's far to hot to be portrayed in a modern game of this day and age, yes OP your point is valid.

It's like an affront to normal looking people to put hot faces and bodies on screen.

Rayderism

All I can say is I'm very tired of the whole "entitled whiner" and the "offended by everything" two-faced era we are currently living through.

FireFly

Neither Deus Ex nor Bloodlines, which were inspirations for this game, had satisfying combat. And arguably none of CDPR's previous games had great combat either. Yet these games are considered classics. The people who played Cyberpunk 2077, considered the combat decent, but not amazing, and raved about the world building, characterisation, and responsiveness to player choice. These are the reasons to be hyped about the game IMO, and expecting Forza + CoD + Mount & Blade is only going to lead to disappointment.

Last edited:

RespawnX

I don't get this thread. Are you trying to rush a particular group of people or to understand them? Reads like empty accusations to provoke.

You are thinking too hard. Don’t kick up controversy when there isn’t any.
Looking back at past stuff and finding “issues” is something idiots do.

/this

Top Bottom