• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$70 pricing is coming to PC, starting with Square Enix next games

knguyen

It's going to be tough for those who like to buy games at release. Personally I am not going to be affected, I don't buy games when they first come out, except may be Elden Ring, shoot, even Elden ring can wait, since its online community will probably live on for a long time.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Okay, let us plug your numbers into the US inflation calculator.
A game that debuted at $60 in 2006. Assume it is on sale for $39.99 in 2007. In 2021 money that is.....drumroll please.....$49.92. You were not saving anything significant back then and the $70 standard will become more and more affordable as time goes on and inflation increases.

You are completely caught up in the nominal numbers and ignore the real value. What you seem to fail to realize is that if you bought a $60 game in 2006 it was less affordable than buying a $70 game in 2020. The price of new games has been going down relative to the amount of money in people's pockets since the mid-90s. Pure, cold, hard numbers.

There is no "might" about it. It is true. Even with MTX (which are optional, at least in any well designed game. And if it is not well designed why are you buying it?), dlc and digital distribution it does not change the fact that the initial up front cost for a new game today is less than it was 15 years ago and significantly less than it was 25 years ago, and yet I doubt people were bellyaching like this back then.

Listen guys, I genuinely wish new games cost a nickel, I really do. But I am not going to act like $70 is some massive injustice when reality tells me I was fine paying more in the past. It would be completely illogical. If the price is too high, do not buy. That is what I do.

qQYR87.gif
In 2006, you had the money, due to how cheap everything was.
Not only that, most of the jobs at that time, were paying good money. And games were seen as expensive thing to do.
The main thing you are ignoring is the availability. Games at that time were sold on limited areas. Compared to now, which you can buy it from your console/computer.

People who likes to bring inflation, ignore how widely gaming is now, compared to old time. Just because the money during that time is expensive, doesn't change the fact that gaming is available in every corner of the world now. With 1 click from your computer, you can buy any game you want. You couldn't that in 2006.

70$ is massive injustice. Gaming in 2006 at least had no mtx, and were full games. Games now are full of mtx, broken at launch, contents are repackaged as a dlc, characters are locked in in-game content, which you have to pay actual real money, to get them.

So tell me MR, how is 70$ is not injustice? When these fucking retarded companies do these shit practices.

How about I just wait 2 months and grab it on sale. Didn't see that coming. Right, Square?

It's not about being affordable or not, it's just they are nickeling and diming the shit out of gamers to see what they can get away with.

GreatnessRD

The fact that company increases its profits doesnt mean it should lower prices of its products. Just saying. I'm not happy with that but it works like that in other industries.
I completely agree, but they aren't lowering prices. That's more my point. They're increasing the prices just because. And getting record profits on top of it. But none of this matters anyway because people are still going to buy. That's the real sad part. We the consumer have so much power, but hate to use it.

LiquidRex

Both Forspoken and Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade (as pictured by DSOgaming) went up for pre-order on Steam and the Epic Games Store this week with the new higher price points.

The Digital Deluxe versions of the games are even more expensive at £90 / $95. Previously Square Enix’s games launched for $60 / £50.

The new pricing brings the PC games in line with new-gen consoles, which have pushed $70 games since PS5 and Xbox Series X|S’s launches last November.

Square Enix appears to be the first major publisher to bring $70 pricing to PC platforms.
Won't be the last PC port to hit $70...

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Gaming prices are either full price $60-70, maybe some games deemed as B tier or a Remaster at $50, and then a mish mash of odds and ends pricing when it comes to indie games at $30 or less where it can be anything.

Weird.

If you need to buy a toaster or toaster oven, you'll see anything from $20 to $120. A ton of models. Even for models considered similar class they can be +/-$5.

But in gaming, a big seller with tons of replay value and production value like COD will be full price, and then beside it a shit game like Aliens Colonial Marines would be the same price.
More and more we do see games priced flexibly, especially on PC/digital. Like, I remember back in the PS1/PS2 era, you had maybe two tiers for new games, the "full price" tier, and the "Greatest hits/discount games" tier, where the platform holder would actually drop the license costs so they could sell smaller games. Then digital came along, but it was for smaller games and you were expected to keep the price under $20.

But now you can have games that are $5, $30, $40, $50... And that's very much a good thing because it creates room in the market.

Of course I would resist thinking about game pricing in terms of "big sales" or "hours of value," as boutique games also sometimes have to charge more to make sense.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
People using cartridge game prices to justify Square greed lol

Next you'll tell me we shouldn't complain about GPU prices because of this..

peXGxkn.jpg
I remember my dad telling me when he bought a calculator in the 70s it was over $100. lol. Thats about $500 in modern day money.

Then in grade school one of my brothers bought me a small shitty solar powered calculator that had no functions except +, - x, / for $5.

Last edited:

Ebidramon

Banned
And I'll be able to confirm that in 2029 as part of the full game, if I'm still alive.
Do what you want, but remake parts aren't the same as disc parts of the original game - first part of the FFVIIR is full-fledged just one independent game on its own.

Imagine if everyone waited a decade or so, for all parts to be out, seems insane to me, not to mention you can always just replay the game to refresh your memory.

Lanrutcon

Do what you want, but remake parts aren't the same as disc parts of the original game - first part of the FFVIIR is full-fledged just one independent game on its own.

Imagine if everyone waited a decade or so, for all parts to be out, seems insane to me, not to mention you can always just replay the game to refresh your memory.

If everyone waited a decade or so for all parts to be out, then they'd think twice about their release schedule, pricing structure, etc. It seems insane to me that you'd pay a premium just because you're impatient.

It's pretty common practice in PC gaming to wait for the "director's cut" edition. It's cheaper and you don't have to fuck with season passes, dlc lists, etc. In this case that edition will only be available towards the end of the decade, which means it's a bit longer than we usually wait, but you'll actually get the full game instead of whatever they've convinced the fanbase this is.

Ebidramon

Banned
If everyone waited a decade or so for all parts to be out, then they'd think twice about their release schedule, pricing structure, etc. It seems insane to me that you'd pay a premium just because you're impatient.

It's pretty common practice in PC gaming to wait for the "director's cut" edition. It's cheaper and you don't have to fuck with season passes, dlc lists, etc. In this case that edition will only be available towards the end of the decade, which means it's a bit longer than we usually wait, but you'll actually get the full game instead of whatever they've convinced the fanbase this is.
In that case, good luck waiting for that "FULL GAME" of yours.

theclaw135

Banned
Compare the texture and model quality of upper end 2006 games, to today's finest.
Tell me that upgrade isn't worth $10 of effort.

Ebidramon

Banned
Don't need luck, really. If you don't think there's going to be a bundle of all 3 parts sold as one at some point then you haven't been paying attention.

This way, you get to enjoy your game at your own pace at a price point you're comfortable with, and so do I.
Look, I really don't care when, or if you will ever play that remake, and, yeah, there will probably be a bundle at some point years in the future.

The only thing that I wanted to point out is that you are wrong in calling the FFVIIR parts as incomplete games, and saying that they only form a full game when all parts are out.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

Look, I really don't care when, or if you will ever play that remake, and, yeah, there will probably be a bundle at some point years in the future.

The only thing that I wanted to point out is that you are wrong in calling the FFVII remakes as incomplete games, and saying that they only form a full game when all parts are out.

I respect your opinion, but don't share it. It's (by your own words) an "FFVII remake". They are remaking FFVII. They've only released a third of FFVII. Doesn't matter how good that third is, they've still got 2/3rds to go. They have not achieved what they set out to do. They are still busy completing it. Thus, it's incomplete. Basic logic.

It's still worth playing though. Just not for me right this second.

Yeah, it's not like the audience is 10x more. Following the free market rule, games should be way cheaper, instead we get these "cartel deals" prices.
Yeah, the audience is much larger these days and it’s more ‘acceptable’ by society to game so more people do.

Also, loads of titles break sales records every year so the profit margins are probably massive. I mean, look at the fucking bonuses Bobby Kottick gives himself every year…

I completely agree, but they aren't lowering prices. That's more my point. They're increasing the prices just because. And getting record profits on top of it. But none of this matters anyway because people are still going to buy. That's the real sad part. We the consumer have so much power, but hate to use it.
Wait, how do you know it’s ‘just because’? Not necessarily disagreeing, but everybody want wages increased. I doubt it’s getting cheaper to pay game developers/designers, regardless of where they are. Everyone wants more pay and less costly expenses.

If you’re buying $60 games day one, and $70 is a crisis, you shouldn’t be buying $60 games day one either. The grey market is also going to inevitably push prices up.

GreatnessRD

Wait, how do you know it’s ‘just because’? Not necessarily disagreeing, but everybody want wages increased. I doubt it’s getting cheaper to pay game developers/designers, regardless of where they are. Everyone wants more pay and less costly expenses.

If you’re buying $60 games day one, and $70 is a crisis, you shouldn’t be buying $60 games day one either. The grey market is also going to inevitably push prices up.
Because the data shows there are more gamers than ever and increased record profits year over year. Just because the workers want more pay, doesn't mean they're getting it, either, but I understand your point. And when you have CEO's like Kotick getting 50 million dollar bonuses because call of casual hit the 3 billion dollar threshold, I'm sure they got the monies to fund the little guys and their $5 raise. (Not hating on Kotick and his bonuses, get ya monies young man) This is about the company bottom line and finessing a consumer base who obviously don't care. I don't begrudge them for getting the money if people are willing to pay, I'm just not one of them.

And I don't buy $60 games or launch games anymore for that matter. That stopped very long ago as I wasn't gonna be a beta tester for these games any longer. Selling it in a broken state with a 200 GB "DAY ONE PATCH" telling the consumers no worries we'll make sure its fixed in 3 or 4 months. Hard pass, I'll just wait for the ultimate super definitive edition for $30 after the fact. Moving from console to PC has spoiled me a little over the years.

Kenpachii

Why not increase it to 500 dollars. If you can't pay 500 dollars for a video game 1000's of people work multiple years on u shouldn't be playing video games.

Last edited:

Ridaxan

I don't mind paying $70 or even $100 for a game. However, neither FF7R nor Forspoken are the types of games that I would pay $70 for. I have FF7R on PS5.

Honestly all this is going to do is stop me double-dipping in future, which isn't inherently a bad thing.

Last edited:
It's fine. Games take a lot more people and hours to develop these days and there is a lot more competition. If you don't like it, wait for a sale. Quit whinging.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
It's fine. Games take a lot more people and hours to develop these days and there is a lot more competition. If you don't like it, wait for a sale. Quit whinging.

Let me get this strait, you are making the argument that the entire piss poor PC port cost so much money to develop that square needs to increase the price of its entry for games on PC.

Because the PS4 release didn't make square enough money? Neither did the PS5 and paid expansion?

Except it already made its money back and then some... so perhaps stop unironically whining about consumers exercising there opinion on the price of a bad port of a game released over 2 years ago, that square received a down payment for to keep an exclusive to a console followed by one to keep exclusive to a single storefront on PC.

There is a limit to "games cost money to make" argument, one which most people here are painfully aware of.

Last edited:

Brofist

Feels like it, also why its such a absolute zero effort port. They want it to bomb i just can't think of any other reason.
Nah doubt they are trying to sabotage their own sales purposely just not to do PC ports. They could just ..not do them.

Short answer, they are just greedy and they suck.

Long answer, I think Japanese game companies still don’t get the PC market in either pricing or in game features. They think just releasing the game as a console game on PC is enough.

Last edited:
Top Bottom