• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

74 days after release, 343 still has not standardized dedicated servers for Halo:MCC

Hubble

A major selling point for Halo: Master Chief Collection was the promise of dedicated servers. With latency and host playing a big role historically in Halo, this enthused many. Many Halo fans despaired playing a match in Halo 1 - 3, especially in the MLG playlist, when their team did not have host, and there was always "that guy" dominating the top of the leaderboards with 21 kills his gamertag complained about on the microphone, while everyone else in the 10s. After MANY games of Halo:MCC I have RARELY seen the connecting to a dedicated server notification.

After the game was released, I would see the connecting to a dedicated server popup sparingly but more recently, I have never seen it, and you may say, perhaps dedicated servers are still there and they removed the notification. Well, if true, that would be silly, and I doubt it since the reason would be negative, because it was there to inform players, so why would they remove it. The removal of this notification is also not under any of the patch notes.

The inconsistency of MCC online matches is frustrating. Playing with friends, some games are laggy, some smooth, some not so smooth but feel smooth yet not latency free enough to consistency do your jumps to flank the enemy and you constantly fail them maybe committing suicide a few times while your at it (happens to me a few times on Lockout) or falling off ring 2 to the bottom resulting in you getting picked off. Most importantly, I can tell I am not playing on dedicated servers. I am seeing the same thing from the other Halo's. A player where you know has host is dominating, which is easily noticeable in 4v4 games. The inconsistency is so noticeable that I can tell I am playing p2p games on Jerry's cable connection with Vuze open downloading season 16 of South Park.

I personally know many people who bought this game for the sole reason of dedicated servers being enticed back and 343 is not delivering what was advertised in their product.

And for the love of god, why is the Halo 2 Anniversary playlist giving us 5v5 matches? I thought the number of players in a match was fixed. Is this SERIOUSLY not fixed yet? This is seriously ruining the game mechanics, where instead of getting double shot, people are literally seeing 3 streams of fire especially in small maps like Warlord. The 5v5 with Halo 2 Anniversary nades is a huge nade shit fest with everyone constantly dying and rushing in a shit show.

5 v 5 is against the Halo bible. Does 343 not know this? Holy shit. This is so obvious. It would not surprise me since there is a lot of "not Halo" things in their games. 5v5 is not in a standard Halo playlist, especially your most common playlist that everyone plays with the remade maps and a combination of slayer and objective. It really turns the game into a royal rumble with no standardized play.

343, please get dedicated servers functioning in Halo:MCC.

maximrace

That's because there is no such notification. 343 stated a few weeks ago almost all games were running on dedi's, the notification was only there the first week the game was released and was removed afterwards

game's a piece of shit. i'm well past the point of making excuses. it's hilarious that such a large group of people bungled something so poorly

Warablo

Another thing that bugs me is in the swat playlist, Halo 3 isn't even included. Even though that is where swat originated.

You couldn't have waited 26 days so that other thread could have a twin?

(You have to laugh, otherwise you'd cry... poor Halo...)

NeOak

That's because there is no such notification. 343 stated a few weeks ago almost all games were running on dedi's, the notification was only there the first week the game was released and was removed afterwards
Then the dedicated servers suck according to OP's experience.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure just because you don't see the notification doesn't mean you're not on the dedicated servers.

I believe Frankie posted that a while ago.

Mononoke

Banned

Was my experience. Seems like some players aren't having as many issues anymore, so they don't believe or care about all the people having an awful experience. But they should care. This is going to impact the size and longevity of the online community. A pet peeve I have is when someone isnt having any problems, so they don't think others should have the issues they are complaining about (or it must be their own fault).

My PS4 is deadly silent. But I've seen enough people saying their PS4 has loud ass fans that I accept its an issue for a lot of people.

Leflus

game's a piece of shit. i'm well past the point of making excuses. it's hilarious that such a large group of people bungled something so poorly
Five different studios from four different countries across two continents + short development time + multiple games and engines being cobbled together = clusterfuck

MS/343 should have delayed the game, but they obviously wanted to release the game in time for the shopping season last year.

maximrace

Could be, I can only talk about my own experience with the game and besides the troubled matchmaking and uneven teams the games themself have been consistent. No lagg, no host advantage so I think most of my games are on the dedi's. Maybe I'm just lucky, maybe not.

Leyasu

Banned

Which is a lie! I played four games of this debacle Wednesday night. Three were p2p and one was on dedicated servers not in my region!! They're talking out of their arses.

Great thread OP.

They need to switch off completely the p2p if like they say nearly all games are on dedicated servers, and patch in a choose the datacenter option. Please 343, boot up titanfall, and have a look at how a competent devs does things.

Leyasu

Banned
Could be, I can only talk about my own experience with the game and besides the troubled matchmaking and uneven teams the games themself have been consistent. No lagg, no host advantage so I think most of my games are on the dedi's. Maybe I'm just lucky, maybe not.

Where are you from?

gogosox82

Wow this game still isn't working properly? I feel sorry for everyone who bought this at launch. Almost February and this game still isn't working right. Have they said anything about fixing this?

Madness

Which is a lie! I played four games of this debacle Wednesday night. Three were p2p and one was on dedicated servers not in my region!! They're talking out of their arses.

Great thread OP.

They need to switch off completely the p2p if like they say nearly all games are on dedicated servers, and patch in a choose the datacenter option. Please 343, boot up titanfall, and have a look at how a competent devs does things.

No offense, but when they're saying the games are running on dedicated servers the majority of the time, and using P2P as a fallback, we have to take them at their word.

Maybe your connection is bad, maybe your region isn't prioritized, but I can say almost all the games I've been playing have been lag free. The biggest obstacle for me is long search times, errors, uneven teams and quitters. Maybe you can post your GT and someone from 343 aka Frank/Tashi can confirm if your games have indeed been p2p or on dedicated servers.

Wow this game still isn't working properly? I feel sorry for everyone who bought this at launch. Almost February and this game still isn't working right. Have they said anything about fixing this?

Well they release a new patch almost every week, haha.

The game is better than it was, it would be a lie to say it isn't. But it's rare that one game gets so many patches that still don't end up fixing the problem

maximrace

Where are you from?

Belgium and I live really close to an Azure datacenter so maybe that's why I'm feeling I'm having decent servers, besides the shitty matchmaking and bugs etc. Same with Halo 5, I played it for 26h and four games were out of region

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

There's another big patch coming but at this point MCC just feels like a game I don't foresee ever working as well as you'd want.

I also figure the community is going to be in shambles even if/when it gets fixed. Insanely huge fuckup on their part.

No offense, but when they're saying the games are running on dedicated servers the majority of the time, and using P2P as a fallback, we have to take them at their word.

Maybe your connection is bad, maybe your region isn't prioritized, but I can say almost all the games I've been playing have been lag free. The biggest obstacle for me is long search times, errors, uneven teams and quitters. Maybe you can post your GT and someone from 343 aka Frank/Tashi can confirm if your games have indeed been p2p or on dedicated servers.

I don't know if we should ever take anything they say as true.

There's another big patch coming but at this point MCC just feels like a game I don't foresee ever working as well as you'd want.

I also figure the community is going to be in shambles even if/when it gets fixed. Insanely huge fuckup on their part.

That's the true shame. The game already had way too much content to be supported by any but the largest community, but now? The community for this game will be non existent for all but the 10 most popular maps. What a waste of everyone's efforts.

The game's Executive Producer, Dan Ayoub, hasn't posted shit on Twitter since the game launch and he was an avid Twitter user for YEARS. He's posted absolutely nothing since November 13.

The game is better than it was, it would be a lie to say it isn't. But it's rare that one game gets so many patches that still don't end up fixing the problem

And the most hilarious part is that sometimes, new patches re-break things that were fixed in previous patches. 343 is full of complete incompetence.

Leyasu

Banned

Come on, if this was ubi, Activision or ea, would we have to take them at their word???

I'm in France, and normally ping the azure centre in Holland very well. Titanfall runs like a dream.... I even booted it up for a couple of games Wednesday night, after turning halo in disgust.

baphomet

Such a huge disappointment. Could have been something awesome if they hadn't completely fucked up the launch.

Thankfully I got a full refund on it at the game shop I bought it from.

pa22word

Well, it's definitely the last halo game I ever buy at launch.

I wish people would stop bugging out on 343 tho. It's not really their fault ms decided to shove it out the door knowing the game wasn't even close to being acceptable for public consumption. If anything this only confirms why bungie got out when they did.

Sordid

I don't believe 343's claims that the majority of games are on dedis. Almost every game I get is nearly unplayable, it's a nightmare. I've only had a handful of smooth games in my time with MCC :(

I had the opposite experience with the Halo 5 beta, the majority of the matches I played were smooth and consistent (I got a few non EU matches which were a bit wonky but nothing major)

Tis unfortunate.

You'd think with all the talk of how plentiful and ready servers would be for the Xbox One, it seems unlikely that a first party game would have this issue.

gogosox82

:( Sorry. I really do feel bad for you guys.

This is true. Its probably never going to work right and the community will dry up if they ever fix it.

The game's Executive Producer, Dan Ayoub, hasn't posted shit on Twitter since the game launch and he was an avid Twitter user for YEARS. He's posted absolutely nothing since November 13.

And the most hilarious part is that sometimes, new patches re-break things that were fixed in previous patches. 343 is full of complete incompetence.

LOL. To be fair, if he did post on twitter, he'd probably get hounded with "GET THE HELL OFF OF TWITTER AND FIX MCC" tweets but his silence is pretty damning.

Leyasu

Banned
Tis unfortunate.

You'd think with all the talk of how plentiful and ready servers would be for the Xbox One, it seems unlikely that a first party game would have this issue.

Titanfall runs great, yet the MCC is a p2p mess... I don't care what 343 say.

Also worth noting. The halo 5 beta although on dedicated servers, just placed you anywhere regardless of region.

One dev manages to get it right, and set the standard on their first attempt. And the other dev doesn't seem to have any clue what so ever as to how to use the azure network that they have at their disposal....

Pretty damning if you ask me.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
343 are arguably one of the most incompetent project managers going around.

Just redo the entire game and release it as a 60gb patch that overwrites the whole game.

When I go to University this Summer I won't be paying for Xbox Live for about 3 years...do you think they'll be up by the time I renew my subscription? I'm actually somewhat doubtful.
I actually really like the collection in every single aspect apart from it's online issues. They did a tremendous job with the campaigns, particularly Halo 2.

The funny part is the game was already built for them. They don't have to think of new ideas or anything. Bungie did all the legwork and 343 still screwed it up.

I'm not invested in Halo but it makes me very wary of getting an Xbox especially when it's probably the Gears collection that will be what I get it for. If they shop it out to the same devs who did such a bang up job for Halo then I don't know why I'd even bother. And I can't really trust any claims for dedicated servers either, even though that was supposed to be the whole benefit of Azure. Load of shit that turned out to be.

Instro

343 are arguably one of the most incompetent project managers going around.

Just redo the entire game and release it as a 60gb patch that overwrites the whole game.

Not that I don't think they are a bad developer, but I'm sure Microsoft was pushing them to poop this thing out as fast as possible.

Leyasu

Banned
The funny part is the game was already built for them. They don't have to think of new ideas or anything. Bungie did all the legwork and 343 still screwed it up.

I'm not invested in Halo but it makes me very wary of getting an Xbox especially when it's probably the Gears collection that will be what I get it for. If they shop it out to the same devs who did such a bang up job for Halo then I don't know why I'd even bother. And I can't really trust any claims for dedicated servers either, even though that was supposed to be the whole benefit of Azure. Load of shit that turned out to be.

Titanfall uses azure, and is an amazing experience because of it. 343 uses azure, and MCC is either p2p or a server out of region. And halo 5 was either great or abysmal..

Glass

Not that I don't think they are a bad developer, but I'm sure Microsoft was pushing them to poop this thing out as fast as possible.

Yeah, I get the impression Microsoft is the big, invisible elephant in the room, responsible for the poor management we're seeing here. Remember how hard MS pushed their console on the lead up to Christmas with those price cuts, and how important it was their console finally became the best seller for November. MCC was an asset they needed out in time. I think what were seeing here is the result of MS cracking the whip harder then ever and when inevitably the quality suffers, 343 takes the heat because its not like they can point fingers at their boss.

Omni

Yeah, I get the impression Microsoft is the big, invisible elephant in the room, responsible for the poor management we're seeing here. Remember how hard MS pushed their console on the lead up to Christmas with those price cuts, and how important it was their console finally became the best seller for November. MCC was an asset they needed out in time. I think what were seeing here is the result of MS cracking the whip harder then ever and when inevitably the quality suffers, 343 takes the heat because its not like they can point fingers at their boss.
I honestly don't see how you guys can completely disregard how incompetent 343i have been since getting control of the Halo franchise. Even Halo 4 was a mess at launch. It took them months IIRC to get their own file browser working, for example.

Top Bottom