• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

74 days after release, 343 still has not standardized dedicated servers for Halo:MCC

Hubble

I honestly don't see how you guys can completely disregard how incompetent 343i have been since getting control of the Halo franchise. Even Halo 4 was a mess at launch. It took them months IIRC to get their own file browser working, for example.

I don't buy the Microsoft blame either. 343 is an alien studio in the many decisions they make on their own in the Halo games as if they don't know what Halo is that shows the studio has a history to be problematic.

In addition to what you said and how bad Halo 4 is, MCC, 343 could not even create a working menu for the Halo 5 beta. The menu in Halo 5 was horrific. Extremely long load times in something as simple as backing out from a search, after a game, etc., in every scenario that I am not sure which was faster, power resetting my xbox or navigating the Halo 5 menu. Yes, I understand it is a beta and problems are to be expected but my god, every game made has a servicable menu. The loading times and I dont mean the initial load but navigation was absolutely unacceptable for modern standards. Just another example to add in this side discussion.

No offense, but when they're saying the games are running on dedicated servers the majority of the time, and using P2P as a fallback, we have to take them at their word.

Maybe your connection is bad, maybe your region isn't prioritized, but I can say almost all the games I've been playing have been lag free. The biggest obstacle for me is long search times, errors, uneven teams and quitters. Maybe you can post your GT and someone from 343 aka Frank/Tashi can confirm if your games have indeed been p2p or on dedicated servers.

And, sincerely, no offence to you Madness but you know by now that a lot of the info we're told is half truth horse shit that they probably believe at the time when they say it. Last few nights I've played have been almost exclusively p2p. Many games redolent of South American hosts I was playing on last October in the Halo 3 MLG playlist. Nades coming out a second after the command prompt. Testing latency against BK's walking in straight lines; can clearly see how delayed the registration is (H3). Frequently seeing one player go +20 in a 4v4 while everyone else has normal liking stats. MCC games end when a player with host quits; I've seen that several times in the last few days, indisputable evidence the match was p2p.

Biggest giveaway is the 'connecting to dedicated server' message (which is still there, contrary to some reports here). Saw the message the other night as we were waiting for a H2 match to boot. Connection was incredible, nades were releasing instantly and my shots were registering as they're supposed to. Similarly, Halo 5 beta was obviously on dedicated servers, played over a hundred games and only one or two had obvious registration problems. MCC in the first few weeks for me, while a shit show getting players together, was almost always on dedicated servers and boy did it show.

That message in the patch notes claiming most games are on Dedis was an obvious lie. 60 FPS and dedicated servers were the two big selling points of the game. Now, you can't mislead people about how many frames they're seeing on the screen but you can say "the servers are working, we just took out the message informing you when you're on one, promise!". When so little of this game works, why would you believe the servers are on?

Leyasu

Banned
And, sincerely, no offence to you Madness but you know by now that a lot of the info we're told is half truth horse shit that they probably believe at the time when they say it. Last few nights I've played have been almost exclusively p2p. Many games redolent of South American hosts I was playing on last October in the Halo 3 MLG playlist. Nades coming out a second after the command prompt. Testing latency against BK's walking in straight lines; can clearly see how delayed the registration is (H3). Frequently seeing one player go +20 in a 4v4 while everyone else has normal liking stats. MCC games end when a player with host quits; I've seen that several times in the last few days, indisputable evidence the match was p2p.

Biggest giveaway is the 'connecting to dedicated server' message (which is still there, contrary to some reports here). Saw the message the other night as we were waiting for a H2 match to boot. Connection was incredible, nades were releasing instantly and my shots were registering as they're supposed to. Similarly, Halo 5 beta was obviously on dedicated servers, played over a hundred games and only one or two had obvious registration problems. MCC in the first few weeks for me, while a shit show getting players together, was almost always on dedicated servers and boy did it show.

That message in the patch notes claiming most games are on Dedis was an obvious lie. 60 FPS and dedicated servers were the two big selling points of the game. Now, you can't mislead people about how many frames they're seeing on the screen but you can say "the servers are working, we just took out the message informing you when you're on one, promise!". When so little of this game works, why would you believe the servers are on?

Agreed. There is no way that the servers are working at the frequency that these clowns want us to believe. My kids will go to bed in an hour or so for their afternoon nap. I know full well that if play halo, it will be p2p after p2p until I have enough and play something else.

How people are inclined to believe 343, yet every other dev gets called out on GAF is shocking in all honesty.

Friction

This game broke me. As a halo fan. Its amazing the man responsible for this game has gone dead silent since this all started.

madmackem

It's pissed me and my friends off so much they've stopped coming on live and I've let my sub lapse first time in ten years, I was only using it to play halo at this point so no chance I'm resubbing while its in the state it's in, found the halo 5 beta average as well 343 have killed my fav shooter.

pa22word

I honestly don't see how you guys can completely disregard how incompetent 343i have been since getting control of the Halo franchise. Even Halo 4 was a mess at launch. It took them months IIRC to get their own file browser working, for example.
Halo 4 had its project director sacked during development because he wasn't towing the party line.

It's been clear since then what ms ad 343i really is to anyone with a brain: they're a puppet company for ms to churn out halo games that's wholly controlled by ms so no unauthorized changes and or content that flies against their marketing vision for the series can make its way in.

I still cannot comprehend why people can't understand this. Ms owns the halo series and 343i is a first party studio. Literally everything they do is ran through Microsoft first. that was the entire point of making an internal halo development studio in the first place, ffs....

gunner13

Neo Member
This isn't just a Halo problem.

We were also promised Dedi's for COD Ghosts, AND COD AW! Just last night on AW I had host migration. Yet before launch of both COD's they made a big deal that Dedi's would be standard.

Caronte

They're waitng for DriveClub PS+ Edition to hit. THEN the race will be on to get them out.

thoughtful-oprah.gif

MegalonJJ

Banned
Halo 4 had its project director sacked during development because he wasn't towing the party line.

It's been clear since then what ms ad 343i really is to anyone with a brain: they're a puppet company for ms to churn out halo games that's wholly controlled by ms so no unauthorized changes and or content that flies against their marketing vision for the series can make its way in.

I still cannot comprehend why people can't understand this. Ms owns the halo series and 343i is a first party studio. Literally everything they do is ran through Microsoft first. that was the entire point of making an internal halo development studio in the first place, ffs....

This.

I mean Bungie was effectively formed and led by a bunch of geeks who wanted to make and play games. (A shame some key people left in the last year of destiny dev time).

343i was formed by bean counters to churn out focus tested crap. Yeah they got Frankie, who I'm sorry to say, is simply a glorified mouth piece to have some gamer cred associated with the franchise. It's not made clear what he actually does re making actual game related decisions. Same goes for Bonnie Ross, a cool person no doubt but a previous Windows executive. This is not to blame anyone, but the reality is clear; that 343i was intentionally put together by MS execs to ensure profitability and to appeal to as wide an audience as possible. Front loaded sales first. Game longevity = who cares.

I don't think we'll likely see another situation where a studio like Bungie (as it was) will have access to the funds/backing of MS with a similar degree (but not wholly obviously) of control of their own game.

FyreWulff

343 made Halo on their own choices.

Microsoft makes decisions involving funding levels, etc, but the decision to design Halo 4 or Halo 5 the way they are was 343's decision.

Sgt. JayCee's War Journal, log-date February 25th, 2015:

Day 74...Halo still dead. Where are those goddamn servers they promised us? Why are games still ending after 10 kills? Why are ranks still at a premium? Why is getting into parties still a crapshoot?

God help us. God help us all...

James1o1o

Banned
I think it's more or less confirmed now that Microsoft/343 rushed to get MCC out before the holiday season. Much like a lot of games that came out Q4 2014.

Adaren

This game broke me. As a halo fan. Its amazing the man responsible for this game has gone dead silent since this all started.

The silence really is deafening. When games have launch issues, the most important part of resolution is communication between the devs and the player. Look at how Blizzard handles the rocky launches of their online games (WoD included).

Of course, I'm not sure a game has ever launched in as broken of a state as MCC, so that might change things.

eshwaaz

This game is such a shame on so many levels. A huge undertaking that was supposed to be a celebration of the franchise and a love letter to the fans ended up being a catastrophic disaster that may have irreparably damaged MS's most important franchise. Their biggest title of 2014, an absolute train wreck. I cannot imagine what the atmosphere at 343 must be like these days.

Derpyduck

Banned
This game is such a shame on so many levels. A huge undertaking that was supposed to be a celebration of the franchise and a love letter to the fans ended up being a catastrophic disaster that may have irreparably damaged MS's most important franchise. Their biggest title of 2014, an absolute train wreck. I cannot imagine what the atmosphere at 343 must be like these days.

It happened because MS didn't treat it like a love letter to Halo fans. They treated it like a way to push cheap Xbox Ones during the holidays, whether the game was ready or not.

vesvci

Banned
At this point this is just...sad. Another huge plus for me when I originally picked up this game.

Lack of dedicated severs made me quit CoD:AW too.

They're waitng for DriveClub PS+ Edition to hit. THEN the race will be on to get them out.

Wow...good stuff there soldier. Keep fighting that war.
This made my Top 5 Shit Post list.

Just played my first game since the latest patch. BTB 6v5 and the game ended when trying to find the best host. Why do I keep trying? Arghhh!!!

VinFTW

The dedicated servers ARE standard, the P2P is a fallback. The real issue is hit detection in H2... lets be real

only half joking

But for real, there are dedis, most of the time they work, sometimes they don't, when they work, its much better than CoDs implementation

eshwaaz

It happened because MS didn't treat it like a love letter to Halo fans. They treated it like a way to push cheap Xbox Ones during the holidays, whether the game was ready or not.
That certainly seems to be the case. I sure hope those same folks at MS are asking themselves if it was worth it.

This is the worst first reply of all time.

I wonder if we can make a class action lawsuit about this. It feels like bait and switch and that Microsoft has no intention of doing what they said they would do.

Derpyduck

Banned
That certainly seems to be the case. I sure hope those same folks at MS are asking themselves if it was worth it.

Those same folks are more than likely pushing these same teams to get the Gears collection out in time for the holidays.

I hate that I sound so jaded, but it's how they've conditioned me to feel the past couple of years.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Five different studios from four different countries across two continents + short development time + multiple games and engines being cobbled together = clusterfuck

MS/343 should have delayed the game, but they obviously wanted to release the game in time for the shopping season last year.

They should've just made Halo 2 Anniversary.

Does MCC use real dedicated servers, or the piece of crap Battlefield 3/4 uses where hit detection is still done client side, leading to deaths when already in cover and all that bollocks that dedicated servers should be eliminating.

Leyasu

Banned
It would be nice to know what they are planning. what improvements they intend, what they are going to do with the azure network that they have at their disposal and when they plan on switching off the p2p?

Also, when they finally get this game connecting to dedicted servers. How they plan on ensuring that EU/ANZ and asian players get to play in their region? Because playing out of region is pratically unplayable.

njean777

Another thing that bugs me is in the swat playlist, Halo 3 isn't even included. Even though that is where swat originated.

Hate to be that guy but swat was on Halo 2. At least I swore it was, I remember playing non-ranked swat matches on halo 2.

pompidu

You should be banned for this post, since your not, gonna add you to my ignore list. Fucking embarassing.

This game could of used a few extra months in the oven. This is xbox signature series, I would have thought they would handle this game with a bit more care.

Leyasu

Banned
Does MCC use real dedicated servers, or the piece of crap Battlefield 3/4 uses where hit detection is still done client side, leading to deaths when already in cover and all that bollocks that dedicated servers should be eliminating.

I was under the impression that the calculations were done server side. One of the advantages of cloud compute right? I dont die like that in titanfall.

Sotha_Sil

Five different studios from four different countries across two continents + short development time + multiple games and engines being cobbled together = clusterfuck

MS/343 should have delayed the game, but they obviously wanted to release the game in time for the shopping season last year.

It's bizarre they chose to do things this way. I get that it would be a massive undertaking for 343 to do the remastering of four games in one package on top of making Halo 5, but damn, this seems like the most inefficient way of going about things.

FyreWulff

it depends on the original halo game's behavior

GnawtyDog

Banned
Microsoft should find a way somehow to spin P2P into a cloud buzzword so that they get no heat when dedicated servers fail.

RdN

Saying the game runs mostly on dedicated servers is one of the biggest lies 343i told in this huge shitstorm of a product they sold us.

Pathetic and incompetent studio.

Top Bottom