• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

74 days after release, 343 still has not standardized dedicated servers for Halo:MCC

Very weird the other day in that I've never seen this before. Got in a an extremely laggy game and a guy was like triple shooting burst shotting kind of like what hackers would do back in the Halo 2 and Halo 3 days. I don't know if he was hacking or it was just an extremely laggy game but he was like triple shotting with the sound effect of a burst amplified and people were just dying behind walls all over the place.

Just complete shameful dedicated servers have not been established and fully resolved yet, as well as the complete revamp has not gone live, and it is mid-February.

Also please add more than 3 map for the Halo Championship Series.

not that dedis will make a difference since apparently we still need a host to connect to.

BokehKing

Banned
what's the deal with the game now, I might get it now that it will be 60% off this week for the campaign, wouldn't mind actually hopping in the game finally for some halo 2 mp

my friend will be grateful i stop harrassing him to play his copy

What I can't understand is why MS insists on pushing these games out too early, then taking way, way too long to put the game at a finished state. Halo 4 is a solid MP game post updates and it's a shame because noone got to play that version.

I'd have had no problem with pushing MCC back.

Even if they fix it now, the game will never enjoy the population sustain it needs, and could have had.

Biker19

Banned
They're waitng for DriveClub PS+ Edition to hit. THEN the race will be on to get them out.

Was this post really necessary?

Only in the video game industry can you sell an incomplete broken product and not only get away with it but actually have people defend you, that were entitled consumers and cut poor 343 some slack. I have no idea why people have those strange emotional engagement toward companies in video games.

Have to say, it's mind blowing to see people defend these companies. I'm not talking about Halo MCC, but just in general. It doesn't make sense why so many consumers are apologists for these people. As if they give a shit about you.

Exactly. Everyone needs to start waking up. As long as this shit is tolerated, these companies will continue to get away with it. Not just within 3rd party publishers, but within Sony (Hello, DriveClub & LittleBigPlanet 3) & Microsoft as well. Vote with your wallets! That's the only way they'll start listening.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
At this point dedicated servers are useless unless you live in 'Murica. But hen this is 343, they only give two fucks about America.

There'd be next to no one playing this game outside the US soon so what's the point in having an empty server to choose from? Playing on the US server from Australia is no different o P2P anyway so it's pointless now.

Suck a fucking cluster fuck.

Gestault

This is a big change for me, but recently all my matchmaking experiences have been ideal. Less than a minute wait-time initially, quick transitions between matches, and legitimately zero noticeable lag. Especially when most of my experiences with the older Halo games were local and lan play, I've been impressed with how well things have run. Half the time, this is with two-player splitscreen matchmaking.

My personal experience has gone from literally unplayable up until the last few week to basically perfect performance.

This is a big change for me, but recently all my matchmaking experiences have been ideal. Less than a minute wait-time initially, quick transitions between matches, and legitimately zero noticeable lag. Especially when most of my experiences with the older Halo games were local and lan play, I've been impressed with how well things have run. Half the time, this is with two-player splitscreen matchmaking.

My personal experience has gone from literally unplayable up until the last few week to basically perfect performance.

Try playing with at least one other person and tell us how it is.

U2NUMB

First game of the day p2p.. With an unkillable host smiting us like Zeus himself.

Speaking of that.. when does the Smite Beta on X1 start? Looking forward to playing a game with dedicated servers and a proper beta.

But on a related note... it is so sad that we are here in the middle of Feb with no real answers yet.. ugh. I sure hope that patch fixes things.

Phinor

I'd like to say neither does Advanced Warfare but I guess they never promised dedicated servers in the first place, just a bunch of bullshit about this and that. The game remains terrible to play at least on PC (smaller player base than console versions = worse matchmaking) due to latency issues.

It'll be interesting to see if we see dedicated servers this year because it's Treyarch releasing their game. They've had better attitude towards proper networking in the past but things can change quickly if Activision decides otherwise.

Hubble

Don't play the game tonight.

Another weird thing is happening online that did not happen before.

I'm getting intermittent error messages saying 'Your connection to Xbox Live has been lost' a few times but the game is still going on then my last game started off as 5 v 5, it was 3 v 3, and my friend said he can't move. I can hear him in-game. An enemy was not moving too that I killed. Then the game froze on me. It did for him too. The match crashed out.

Some posters like to comfort themselves by attempting to compare the MCC's failure to that of DriveClub's.

Even though DriveClub actually works now. And MCC is still broken.

Not to mention one is an exclusive racing game while the other is the flagship titles that's the reason behind the Xbox's entire existance. Yea, you would think MS would care more but no.

At least DC is a blast to play now (and has been for months). The MCC is still a failure and I'm no less disappointed in 343. I look forward to seeing if they can outdo their mediocrity with Halo 5.

Huff

Banned
Why are people still bothering? This game will never be fixed. My brother and all his friends have moved on as I expect majority of everyone else has

Three

I wonder if the patch actually fixes the Matchmaking will it even be worth it. There cant be many people left trying to play this garbage.

I have a feeling that's probably why they are not even going to bother. The ROI will likely be minimal trying to improve the situation at this point. It feels like they've probably abandoned it and moved on to Halo 5.

A major selling point for Halo: Master Chief Collection was the promise of dedicated servers. With latency and host playing a big role historically in Halo, this enthused many. Many Halo fans despaired playing a match in Halo 1 - 3, especially in the MLG playlist, when their team did not have host, and there was always "that guy" dominating the top of the leaderboards with 21 kills his gamertag complained about on the microphone, while everyone else in the 10s. After MANY games of Halo:MCC I have RARELY seen the connecting to a dedicated server notification.

It's bizarre when you think about the hype for those servers too, we went from

300,000 servers
Cloud will make XB1 3 times more powerful
to
Cloud now means free dedicated servers for XB1 games
to pretty much
tumblr_mblqgg3mUy1rhdbxio1_500.jpg

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
the-campaign-its-a-mess.gif

My fiancée bought me my Xbox one for my birthday just so I can play halo and halo only.

Until January I was not able to play one MP game so I just gave up. The biggest most expensive dust collector I ever had..

kingwingin

Can we still demand refunds? This is so stupid

Also I definitely see them fixing this in the future, they damaged the halo brand and need to fix this before halo 5.

People burned by mcc aren't going to buy halo 5

truth411

I have a feeling that's probably why they are not even going to bother. The ROI will likely be minimal trying to improve the situation at this point. It feels like they've probably abandoned it and moved on to Halo 5.

300,000 servers
to
to pretty much

Lol, nice post.

Booted it in December, "played" 2 or 3 matches, and have never played it since.

That will be the last of my money that 343i gets for a long, long time.

JimiNutz

Banned
After Halo 5 I've been desperate to play some more Halo and have resorted to playing Halo 4 through MCC.
Been playing a steady two weeks now (solo) with no issues at all. Games are generally found within a minute or two and work flawlessly for me. Not sure if any of it is running on dedicated servers but I'm yet to plat many games with lag. Certainly nothing unplayable.

Halo 4 wasn't what I expected to be playing when I bought MCC but so far at least this aspect works...

games still broken. i still cant connect on a regular basis to friends in Halo MCC matchmaking and campaign lobbies.as a hardcore Halo fan who reads the books, comics and bought every game, i refuse to give any money to 343 and MS for another Halo game after 343 shipped a completely broken game and used the Halo brand to peddle broken software. cant wait to vote with my wallet this fall and not support Halo 5.

madmackem

I just dont trust 343i and when you lose the trust of the fans your dead, i dont think ill even bother with halo 5 the beta did nothing for me in the end and i dont trust them to offer a product that is stable and fair to those outside of murica.

TrounceX

Once again, I'm still not sure how MS can get away with continuing to sell this game. I mean this in a legal sense. Beyond the fact that the game is almost unplayable in the most basic sense, it is certainly not playable in the ways in which MS advertised. 60fps, dedicated servers, ranking system. None of this really happened.

Yet they continue to sell the game and even offer sales on it. In which other industries could a company release such a fundamentally broken and false advertised product and get away with it?

MS should have recalled the game. Or at the very least officially announced that refunds would be given on request with no questions asked. None of this 'call Xbox support and pray' ymmv type bullshit.

I'm not gonna get over this one for a long time...

Jburton

Banned
Second (First?!) post and we have an irrelevant Sony Too™, is that a record?

Especially since DC works perfectly and has done for awhile.

Secondly and more importantly, none of that shit helps MCC owners get what they paid for.

Hopefully it all comes good for you guys

madmackem

After Halo 5 I've been desperate to play some more Halo and have resorted to playing Halo 4 through MCC.
Been playing a steady two weeks now (solo) with no issues at all. Games are generally found within a minute or two and work flawlessly for me. Not sure if any of it is running on dedicated servers but I'm yet to plat many games with lag. Certainly nothing unplayable.

Halo 4 wasn't what I expected to be playing when I bought MCC but so far at least this aspect works...

It works because your playing by yourself, add a friend to the mix in a party and watch the whole thing burn to the ground in a heap of steamy shitty goodness.

I've also been finding matches with no problem solo but we ate probably just the lucky ones.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Once again, I'm still not sure how MS can get away with continuing to sell this game. I mean this in a legal sense. Beyond the fact that the game is almost unplayable in the most basic sense, it is certainly not playable in the ways in which MS advertised. 60fps, dedicated servers, ranking system. None of this really happened.

Yet they continue to sell the game and even offer sales on it. In which other industries could a company release such a fundamentally broken and false advertised product and get away with it?

MS should have recalled the game. Or at the very least officially announced that refunds would be given on request with no questions asked. None of this 'call Xbox support and pray' ymmv type bullshit.

I'm not gonna get over this one for a long time...

I remember when they announced limited backward compatibility for Xbox 360 and I remember playing Halo 2 on it and seeing the UI ghosting on the screen partially occluding the view. A known bug that I am not sure they bothered to fix. Sometimes MS is weirdly not protective enough with their own top selling IP's...

LogN

The game was the only reason I had an Xbox One, really. After more than two (nearly 3 months), I got rid of the system and game.

JimiNutz

Banned
It works because your playing by yourself, add a friend to the mix in a party and watch the whole thing burn to the ground in a heap of steamy shitty goodness.

Yeah I suspected as much.
It's still a shitty situation but at least I can now play the game in a limited capacity and scratch that Halo itch.

300,000 servers
to
to pretty much

Everyone knew the cloud talk was bunk. I don't think we've seen the benefits once and not nearly to the scale of what was being talked about. I mean Titanfall was claimed to gain great benefits from the cloud and all they did was the skybox and the shittastic AI if I remember right. Isn't Crackdown supposed to use it as well?

I think this weird defending of 343 is a whole lot of cognitive dissonance. Posters were hailing this as the second coming and such a huge value and it completely whiffed it in terms of delivery. I don't know what's the deal with Driveclub but the game seems to work in its entirety as of now so it's not a valid comparison anymore.

stryke

I don't know what's the deal with Driveclub but the game seems to work in its entirety as of now so it's not a valid comparison anymore.

Depends how you look at it. It functions but PS+ subscribers still don't have the glorified demo that was promised to them.

That's not related to functionality or anything though. Like if you buy the game, from what I've heard, everything works without a problem. Haven't played it though, it's just the comparison people throw around hahaha.

Pez

343; embarrassment of the industry. I can't think of a single thing they've done right in this entire charade.

"We'll tell you everything once we know what's happened" we were told three months ago. Still no word on what caused this or any kind of explanation to the lack of dedicated servers.

"We'll give you ODST free!" Well, that's great unless you bought this still broken game after Dec. 17th. Otherwise, fuck you.

"We're going to fix matchmaking!" yet here we are 3 months later with no dedicated servers and a prayer that they'll have their act together for the next patch. If not, we're all fucked. Again.

And what's worse is they haven't even really discussed fixing major problems with the campaign crashes/disconnecting. After the matchmaking is fixed, they're probably going to pack it in and start transferring resources to H5. I can't see them staying the course to right this ship considering all the short cuts they've already taken.

I had a lot of hope for 343 and didn't mind Halo 4 that much. Now I feel like they (and MS) are the poster child for what's wrong with the AAA industry. They have completely shit all over their fans and whatever legacy this franchise has. Absolutely incredible. Bravo fellas, way to kill 4 birds with one stone.

Top Bottom