• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8 things you need to know about Gran Turismo Sport

My favourite SP content in GT5 were the seasonal events and this sounds a lot like it, so I'm looking forward to this.

Although some nice trophies with good restrictions like back in GT2 to actually give some sort of challenge would've been even better.

sublimit

Banned
I would really like for them to stop calling it Campaign mode. I can respect that they want to shift the focus of the franchise, it's their money, their game.

What I don't like is being lied to, and calling that a campaign is lying unless you've never played a GT before. It's like, instead of addressing the elephant in the room, they choose to cover it. It's still there, we can see it guys, stop pretending.

And this post being official brings down any remaining hope that I could have of a surprise announcement at TGS.

Amen!

It's like they are deliberately trying to fool people.

dmix90

How about finally announcing PSVR tracklist? If there is no full Nordschleife in VR mode then this shit is worthless.

My favourite SP content in GT5 were the seasonal events and this sounds a lot like it, so I'm looking forward to this.

Although some nice trophies with good restrictions like back in GT2 to actually give some sort of challenge would've been even better.

If they have seasonal events then I'm ok with the campaign mode.

Mohasus

Oh, I'm not saying it won't work, I'm just amused at it being a selling point in this list.

Like, yeah, I'd certainly *hope* your matchmaking is good, as I would any other online game.
You'd hope so, but my experience with online racing games has been terrible so far. People can't even stay on the track properly, what the fuck.

Chozo_Lord

This is a no buy for me. Without a proper campaign, this seems more like an online only type of game, and having an expensive steering wheel seems like a massive advantage over the regular controller making it even worse for casual players. It feels like they are making this for the super hardcore racing sim fans, and I wonder if the sales will reflect that.

BigEmil

Really sucks to see what GT has become. Used to be my favorite franchise.
Can only hope this flops so they know where they went wrong

It's not like Sony will disown PD obviously so don't have to worry about that

It will just tell Sony where to focus more on GT in the next installment to get the fans back

Gestault

To be fair to the game (and any game, really), I hope people don't freak out at occational 1 or 2-frame dips amidst generally 60 fps with well handled frame pacing. The performance for the series has been consistently troubled starting after GT4, but the quirks in the PS3-era games were really pronounced. Things were in pretty good shape in the beta, which'll hopefully be further improved at release.

sublimit

Banned
Can only hope this flops so they know where they went wrong

It's not like Sony will disown PD obviously so don't have to worry about that

It will just tell Sony where to focus more on GT in the next installment to get the fans back

If it flops i think they will try to backpedal on it and add a proper campaign later on although to be honest i'd rather they move on to the next game.

Wiped89

Ohh man. As a long-time GT fan (since first GT, woop!), I can't believe how bad this sounds.

That 'career mode'? Jesus it sounds awful.

My bold prediction: This will be one of the most traded-in games of the year. Remember the piles of copies of Watch Dogs and Destiny when those came out? Much worse than those. I also think it will have an enormous week one and an equally enormous sales cliff after word of mouth.

I could be wrong. I hope I'm wrong. I'll be getting Forza 7 instead, which makes me kinda sad.

farisr

The campaign mode this year is way bigger than previous GT.
There's one thing not being interested in campaign or growing tired of the SP modes of past games, wanting something different and being interested in the shift in direction towards online and hence defending the game. And then there's outright, factually wrong points like this.

Holy shit.

borges

Banned
Ohh man. As a long-time GT fan (since first GT, woop!), I can't believe how bad this sounds.

That 'career mode'? Jesus it sounds awful.

My bold prediction: This will be one of the most traded-in games of the year. Remember the piles of copies of Watch Dogs and Destiny when those came out? Much worse than those. I also think it will have an enormous week one and an equally enormous sales cliff after word of mouth.

I could be wrong. I hope I'm wrong. I'll be getting Forza 7 instead, which makes me kinda sad.

If the multiplayer mode is good, this game will have legs, for sure. Even with all the known shortcomings(campaign mode, number of cars, etc).
In any way, a GT without an stellar single player sounds... strange.
BTW, why choosing Forza 7 makes you "sad"?

Audioboxer

This is a no buy for me. Without a proper campaign, this seems more like an online only type of game, and having an expensive steering wheel seems like a massive advantage over the regular controller making it even worse for casual players. It feels like they are making this for the super hardcore racing sim fans, and I wonder if the sales will reflect that.

It'll be No Mans Sky 2.0 in retail stores. Casual buyers thinking here's the new GT, they'll buy it, probably hate how it's missing half the game, then trade it back in.

So sales numbers will be high but your local game store will be stuffed with cheap 2nd hand copies.

It really puzzles me how it takes forever for Polyphony to make these games when during same timeframe Turn 10 releases billion Forza games with far more content.

It really puzzles me how it takes forever for Polyphony to make these games when during same timeframe Turn 10 releases billion Forza games with far more content.

I think it's their emphasis on the visuals. They spend a lot of time on the looks and cars and replay functionality, seemingly at the expense of AI, sound, and innovations in gameplay.

inner-G

Banned
Have they said much about F7's single-player mode? I liked the one that had Jeremy Clarkson narrating the stuff when you looked at your cars. (3 or 4?)

I think, I'm gonna open that "predict review score and player base of pCARS2, FM7, GTS"-thread[/B0] tomorrow.

Player base will be checked after 1 week, but I don't really know how. In FM7 it's easy if they have that first mandatory all-assists-on race and a rivals leaderboard; that should be fairly accurate.

But I don't know if GTS and pCARS2 will have a leaderboard that at least 90% of players will have an entry on. Anyone got another idea for these?

Gestault

I think, I'm gonna open that "predict review score and player base of pCARS2, FM7, GTS"-thread[/B0] tomorrow.

Player base will be checked after 1 week, but I don't really know how. In FM7 it's easy if they have that first mandatory all-assists-on race and a rivals leaderboard; that should be fairly accurate.

But I don't know if GTS and pCARS2 will have a leaderboard that at least 90% of players will have an entry on. Anyone got another idea for these?

Any way to solve for "X" between a mandatory trophy, race leaderboards, and whatever sales hints we get? It's all I can think of without seeing the specifics of the game...

I'll totally follow that thread though. I'm chasing the crowds this time.

down 2 orth

It'll be No Mans Sky 2.0 in retail stores. Casual buyers thinking here's the new GT, they'll buy it, probably hate how it's missing half the game, then trade it back in.

So sales numbers will be high but your local game store will be stuffed with cheap 2nd hand copies.

Cheap second hand copies you say? Interesting....

Wiped89

If the multiplayer mode is good, this game will have legs, for sure. Even with all the known shortcomings(campaign mode, number of cars, etc).
In any way, a GT without an stellar single player sounds... strange.
BTW, why choosing Forza 7 makes you "sad"?

Sad because I've been a huge GT fan all my life, and, nothing against Forza, but I was really looking forward to a new PS4 GT. The fact I will have to go to Forza 7 to get the game I want is making me feel kinda sad that GT can't do that for me any more.

On the other hand, I am looking forward to Forza 7. I might pick up GT Sport months down the line if the game turns out better than I feared. But I'm not pre-ordering or getting it when it releases :(

fbutron

Detailed lighting, superb detail on cars and courses, Forza is just copy and paste and just recently will add weather system, no FIA Licenses,

You know change of oil to your garage cars, maintenance repairs, endurance tests (real 24 hours), change of lights normal and high, fog lens; real tracks with superdetail ( for example i played Nurburgring on both and in Forza you dont have the elevations of the track, last track changes, etc)

Also PSVR bought my PSVR just for this game since last December cant wait

Always loved GT, so I'm looking forward to this. The beta played really well, so the full game should be great.

I like the campaign mode is trying something different and actually learns you to get better at the game, plus it's a good fit for GT being a Driving Simulator.

Graphics look great, as GT normally does and the Scapes photo mode looks brilliant, should make for some fantastic photos. Hopefully the more focused / streamlined game will be a good foundation to build on, to make GT great again.

As long as there are no major online / matchmaking issues at launch, it should be another really good GT game with a solid online mode.

Can't wait to play in VR too. :)

RangerX

Banned
I'd just like the game to have in game explanations or a short tutorial about engine tuning,torque and other technical aspects. I love racing games and especially Gran Turismo but I don't actually know that much about the working of cars so never get good enough.

MaDKaT

Always loved GT, so I'm looking forward to this. The beta played really well, so the full game should be great.

I like the campaign mode is trying something different and actually learns you to get better at the game, plus it's a good fit for GT being a Driving Simulator.

Graphics look great, as GT normally does and the Scapes photo mode looks brilliant, should make for some fantastic photos. Hopefully the more focused / streamlined game will be a good foundation to build on, to make GT great again.

As long as there are no major online / matchmaking issues at launch, it should be another really good GT game with a solid online mode.

Can't wait to play in VR too. :)

All they did was expand the License tests and added even more tests for driving etiquette. That is not a campaign, that is a license test/tutorial hell.

borges

Banned
Sad because I've been a huge GT fan all my life, and, nothing against Forza, but I was really looking forward to a new PS4 GT. The fact I will have to go to Forza 7 to get the game I want is making me feel kinda sad that GT can't do that for me any more.

On the other hand, I am looking forward to Forza 7. I might pick up GT Sport months down the line if the game turns out better than I feared. But I'm not pre-ordering or getting it when it releases :(

Yeah... its hard to "abandom" series. Happened to me with Winning Eleven/PES to FIFA in 2008.

In order to ensure fair racing for all, GT Sport will require an internet connection for the majority of functionality. This connectivity requirement is to ensure that progress, car availability and driver ratings are properly maintained at all times.

So this game isn't always-online, but its mostly-online?

Any breakdowns of what you can do when offline?

Sportsmanship Rating (‘Sport Mode') – Just like in real world driving, we want to reward those that drive, and race, clean. So stick to the track, and limit the number of collisions to secure a positive sportsmanship rating.
And does anybody know whether free play races against AI (assuming that mode even exists) affect your sportsmanship rating? Or is that purely used when racing against other matchmade players?

What about private lobbies?

WoolyNinja

Am I crazy for being most excited by the re-tooled single player? My favorite part of the franchise has been license tests, etc so I'm happy with more of that. I feel like with previous GTs racing against the AI became me picking a faster car and destroying them or me not having a good enough car and being destroyed so I don't think I'll miss AI races. As long as they still have time trials and the license tests I'm ready to give them my money.

borges

Banned
Am I crazy for being most excited by the re-tooled single player? My favorite part of the franchise has been license tests, etc so I'm happy with more of that. I feel like with previous GTs racing against the AI became me picking a faster car and destroying them or me not having a good enough car and being destroyed so I don't think I'll miss AI races. As long as they still have time trials and the license tests I'm ready to give them my money.

Oh nostalgia... as a kid trying to beat all the licenses. Great time.

Makki

And the inevitable dick-waving of who's preferred sim racing franchise is less shitty begins.

OT, people are always risk averse so they will kick and scream down to release that this is a bad change for GT. Without this thing releasing it is too soon to tell whether they know what they are doing or if they are alienating the people who prefer traditional club series offline. I'm willing to give it a shot day one.

This is me too. I'm liking what I'm seeing.

Top Bottom