• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8800GT crew

Xanadu

Banned
anyone still using a 8800GT? had mine for about 3 years now and its still going strong! sure i cant play witcher 2 on high but i'm still able to play mostly every new game that comes out on medium. will probably upgrade for BF3 though but i dont know if i want to part with it :'(

Kunohara

Xanadu said:
anyone still using a 8800GT? had mine for about 3 years now and its still going strong! sure i cant play witcher 2 on high but i'm still able to play mostly every new game that comes out on medium. will probably upgrade for BF3 though but i dont know if i want to part with it :'(

Mine died about a month ago. I had it for years, and could run anything I threw at it. I miss it. Best card I've ever bought.

So since I just recently got back into PC gaming was the 8800GT the popular card just like the 9800 Pro was awhile back?

Chiave

Was the 2nd card I bought. When I build a new PC I'm going to hock the 8800GT out of my old PC to save $. It's still decent nowadays right?

Xdrive05

Gave mine to a good friend so he would be PC game capable - replaced it with a Asus GTX 460 1GB.

8800GT is my favorite card ever, followed closely by my XFX 6600GT and my Leadtek Winfast 4400TI. Good times. :)

elfinke

Up until a month ago I was still rocking my 7900GT's. Amazing card for all these years.

Now I have a 6950.

I don't miss my 7900GT's.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I'm rocking my 8600GT and 1GB of RAM with an AthonXP X2 4200.

I don't know how it's still playing games these days but I just finished Deus Ex: HR.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I was going to buy it in 2008 but went with a 9600GT :( Which was almost as good as the 8800GT btw. I have a 570GTX now though.

DonMigs85

I have a buddy who's still rocking a 7900 GTX. Performs quite well in Arkham Asylum and plenty of other titles.

Ionic

I used an 8800GT until I got an HD 5870, and even then I used it for PhysX in Arkham, Mirror's Edge, and Cryostasis. Now it rests on a shelf on my desk as a much loved piece of my computer's history.

Reallink

Kunohara said:
Mine died about a month ago. I had it for years, and could run anything I threw at it. I miss it. Best card I've ever bought.

notsol337 said:
Mine died 4 months ago. I replaced it with a 560ti.

Curufinwe said:
My 320 MB 8800 GTS died in February and I replaced it with a 768 MB GTX 460 which cost $145.

Dark Stalkers said:
Mine died a month ago. I could only afford a 6770.

Iadien said:
my 8800 GTX died a couple months ago. =(

Doesn't sound like too great a card when they're apparently dying after 2 or 3 years.

mandiller

I thought mine would last forever but it died about 3 months ago. I bought a GTX570 to replace it and then ended up replacing the rest of my computer too. The 570 is an awesome card for the price, it feels like a new 8800GT or 4200Ti.

I'll miss the 8800GT club though

/salutes

DonMigs85

I believe most of the 8 series chips including mobile ones have a manufacturing defect and tend to fail after a few years.

gblues

Banned
I had (well, technically still have) a 512mb 8600GT. It's been replaced with a 1GB GTX 560. The GTX performs better at full resolution with all the settings cranked to the max than the 8600GT did with gimped settings. I love it!

Xanadu said:
8800 gts 320 here, booya

Wasn't rocking an 8800gt, but was rocking its offspring, the 9800gt, still have it but its in the closet. Want to build a new small rig with it, and my old am2+/am3 mobo, just feel bad its not being used lol. Was my first gaming card, and was a badass little thing :)
looked sweet as well lol
585764d1272411035-evga-9800gt-512mb-graphics-card-play-demanding-video-games-pc-dsc02314.jpg

lachesis

I also run 8800 GTS - 512. I'm not much of pc gamer, so it's been more than enough for me - but thinking about upgrading it when I eventually upgrade my whole computer in a year or so.

iavi

DonMigs85 said:
I believe most of the 8 series chips including mobile ones have a manufacturing defect and tend to fail after a few years.

I don't know about the whole line, but I do know this to be true for the macbook pros with 8600GTs in them. Mine went twice within 3 years. The stores have a dedicated test and everything. It's been annoying as shit, but I have heard that you can get an all new replacement on the third go, so I'm kinda hoping it happens one more time, lol.

Xanadu

Banned
if i remember correctly the 9800gt is the exact same card but with better cooling, or something like that right?

GWX

Well, I'm rocking a 9800GTX+ 512MB. It's close enough, and it does the job well @ 1440x900. I'll upgrade next year though, at least I hope so.

Grakl

Yeah, my 8800M GTS died after 3 years, was a great card though, even if hot as hell. Now I'm using a GTX 260M, haha.

EDIT: Of course the mobile and desktop versions of different, but it seems the times of death (heh) are similar.

mug

Use it as a dedicated physx card once you upgrade. That is if you're still feeling sentimental.

Gaogaogao

i came from a 8800gt to a 4870 when I found one on sale. If its time for me to upgrade, it is past time for you guys to upgrade.

Moussi

caved in and built a new PC during the summer. Used it for 3 years and it was an awesome card. Will always remember it and probably one of the best bang for your buck cards ever. I remember when researching it I was like "This can't be real....no way there has to be a catch!"

Reuenthal

Banned
I am using an 9800 gtx. It does run games at relatively satisfactory levels but it might be responsible for computer crashes that are happening.

Moussi

DMPrince said:
does it die at the same time? most people here said a month ago LOL.
maybe. I know me and my friend's heatsink crapped out at the same time. we fixed it but it was odd.

Xdrive05

I remember getting very exceptional performance on mine up until about a year ago. Then I started having to turn some things down/off to get good FPS in some newer games. Way ahead of its time for that price point, and a great revision to the 1st gen 8800 cards.

Did anyone here buy the 8800GTS that was based on the 8800GT chip (not the 320/640 1st gen model)? Talk about confusing naming conventions, Nvidia...

Ummmm I've got the box for a 8800 on my shelf.

Cant even remember if the card is still in there.
Probably should throw it out.

Top Bottom