• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

9 minutes of Gears 5 on Xbox Series X - 4K@60FPS

2Zs4LP_0PcsiHxJ00
Fuck me. That's quite a bit of extra stuff on top of the 120FPS multiplayer.

Curious to know what the +More means.

This studio and Playground Games have games that are really well optimized for Xbox. Have not come across a single article or piece written that have any negative remarks against Gears or Forza Horizon.

It’s effectively PC ultra settings and 4K. Bunch of previewers compared performance to a 2080ti
Yep, thanks to ^^ M1chl for the post as well.

The Coalition have talented people... I would like to see something else from them beside Gears.
Yeah no doubt. This game engine is amazing. Also just read now that some of the settings go past PC ultra settings.

This is what i'm looking for all current gen games to have on these new consoles. There should be these kind of enhancements across the board. PC Ultra settings or bust.

Last edited:
Difference seems to be in textures, and added HDR. Seems to be more lighting differences.

I would be far more impressed if they had newer character models. Character model assets are the same but now with better filtering, better rendered image, and added HDR.
No. There's no difference in textures OR lighting.. what you have is Xbox crushing blacks as per usual

Also, it's dynamic 4K. Not locked.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
That's compared to the Xbox One X version.

The Series X version is basically PC Ultra settings plus some differences in AO or GI.

So I already had that then?

Played it on ultra at 1440p. Got locked 60 after the last patch and new drivers in March for my Radeon VII.

VFXVeteran

Banned
So higher rendered resolution, juiced filters, better textures, better lighting. But assets are the same.

Gears 5 was already a looker, this is just juiced to 100.

I might redownload this on PC if these are coming to PC?

Still not something I care too much about since I already played the shit out of gears.

It's already on the PC.

VFXVeteran

Banned
That's how it looked on Xbox One X right? That's a nice looking game. So this is just a native 4K with higher settings version then?

Bringing over the enhancements from the PC is significant. It's equivalent to the additions to Spiderman MM over the PS4 version.

Njocky

Banned
Glad I didn’t finish this one the one X given the XSX thin line up.
It looks better than ever. Velocity architecture?

Aidah

so uhm dont get me wrong but..next gen turned to current get but 120fps MP ..is that MP cross-gen or only seriersx? cuz i t would be pretty unfair to play MP on Xone (30-60?)fps vs some1 other player (120fps):messenger_neutral:
Base XB1 already plays against PC (120fps + M/KB) by default, so what's the difference. I don't think Microsoft cares about that stuff.

Last edited:

sobaka770

Banned
This looks pretty lackluster overall. Every time I see GoW there's stiffness and environment non-interactivity that really feel gamey and unimpressive technically. 60FPS games look like last-gen overall which I guess is the point.

That being said even Spiderman Enhanced at 60FPS doesn't look that hot either. I hope later gen games like Horizon will have a target lock of 30 if the goal is to maximise the graphics and cinematic presentation. I'd also rather sacrifice resolution than effects.

Banned
Looks good.
I'm still not blown away by anything that I've seen from either console.

Dunno if I'm just old and jaded but this is the worst next gen launch ever.

we are at a point where graphics are so detailed that even if a new game would have twice the details of Gears 5 you wouldn't immediately notice without looking really hard for it.

a circle can only get so round before you will not notice any difference anymore even if detail is massively improved

Banned
so uhm dont get me wrong but..next gen turned to current get but 120fps MP ..is that MP cross-gen or only seriersx? cuz i t would be pretty unfair to play MP on Xone (30-60?)fps vs some1 other player (120fps):messenger_neutral:

well, welcome to what PC players had to deal with since the 90s 🙃

but that's nothing new.
look at games like Modern Warfare or the newer Battlefield games.
if you play on One X or Pro you will have a visual clarity advantage and a performance advantage.
base systems run below 1080p in these games and often drop frames down to the 40fps area in stressful scenarios.

JimiNutz

Banned
we are at a point where graphics are so detailed that even if a new game would have twice the details of Gears 5 you wouldn't immediately notice without looking really hard for it.

a circle can only get so round before you will not notice any difference anymore even if detail is massively improved

Yeah maybe.
That's why they should maybe focus on things like better animations and better physics and destruction in environments?

Banned
Yeah maybe.
That's why they should maybe focus on things like better animations and better physics and destruction in environments?

well animations are also basically at a point where it's developers choice.

but destruction and interactive environments will be the next big step yes.
with the new CPUs in these consoles that's now not as much of an issue anymore.
Control brought my One X down to ~5fps in a specific scene with lots of destruction and physics going on, and the One X has the best CPU of current gen systems... so yeah.

those Jaguar CPU cores were complete dogshit even when these consoles were released, there's a reason they flopped on the PC market, you could barely run Windows 10 with these CPUs.

on the graphics side all we will see next gen will be refinement of what we had this gen.
less pop in, better shadows, a bit more detail and higher resolutions

Dodkrake

Banned
I'm sure someone will find time to get better comparisons, but this hardly seems like an upgrade. Note: Both running at 4k 60fps on youtube, which I KNOW is a lossy source.

GMhYvSk.jpg

Banned
Any difference with the PC at highest settings? I played this on PC when it came out and it looked brilliant.

it is the highest PC settings + Unreal Engine 4's ScreenSpace RT Ambient Occlusion and global illumination... not sure if it has a proper name

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

The game looks good. The original article has higher-resolution versions of the comparison shots. You just need to open them in a new tab.

75681_04_gears-5-looks-no-different-on-xbox-series-over-the-one_full.jpg

75681_01_gears-5-looks-no-different-on-xbox-series-over-the-one_full.jpg

75681_02_gears-5-looks-no-different-on-xbox-series-over-the-one_full.jpg

75681_03_gears-5-looks-no-different-on-xbox-series-over-the-one_full.jpg

Source: TweakTown

Last edited:

Redlancet

Banned
Bringing over the enhancements from the PC is significant. It's equivalent to the additions to Spiderman MM over the PS4 version.
Thats false, in Spiderman they redo a lot of models and assets, this is just the pc versión ( and its good, i dont expect more)

Last edited:
Glad I haven’t played it, a nice freebie for me at launch.

I only did about a third of Horizon 4 too so I will probably delete my save and start that again!

VFXVeteran

Banned
Thats false, in Spiderman they redo a lot of models and assets, this is just the pc versión ( and its good, i dont expect more)

I don't see more geometry in the models and assets. The PC version of Gears 5 has better textures and the lighting (i.e. the added AO) makes a world of difference. I'd rather have advanced AO than to have pre-baked old school SSAO with higher geometric models.

Lighting is everything with regards to a game's overall looks.. Turning on those features may take just a switch, but there is a hell of a lot going on when you do turn that switch on.

"I believe that the next battle will be about lighting more than polycount or even resolution. "

Last edited:
It runs a dynamic resolution hovering around 900p at 30fps with lower settings so it’s not that odd. (Multiplayer of course being 60fps)
I only saw the multiplayer aspect since I have a family member that played G5 multiplayer daily and tbh, I'd vastly prefer frames over resolution even if the game is 144p potato express

Redlancet

Banned
I don't see more geometry in the models and assets. The PC version of Gears 5 has better textures and the lighting (i.e. the added AO) makes a world of difference. I'd rather have advanced AO than to have pre-baked old school SSAO with higher geometric models.

Lighting is everything with regards to a game's overall looks.. Turning on those features may take just a switch, but there is a hell of a lot going on when you do turn that switch on.

"I believe that the next battle will be about lighting more than polycount or even resolution. "
Of course you dont see any changes, its a sony first party game,

Redlancet

Banned
I'm not biased against Sony first party games like some people are on the opposite end of the spectrum. I take facts for what they are without putting any subjective spin on it. That's the only way to have a real discussion.
Yes you are, its not muy opinión, its all your post history, you are crearly biased against any sony first party game, you have show that behaviour on countless threads, and lets stop there this is a gears 5 thread, but you are crearly lying when sugesstion immsoniac havent done any work on the remaster, when its pretty clear that they have changed a lot of assets, models etc

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Yes you are, its not muy opinión, its all your post history, you are crearly biased against any sony first party game, you have show that behaviour on countless threads, and lets stop there this is a gears 5 thread, but you are crearly lying when sugesstion immsoniac havent done any work on the remaster, when its pretty clear that they have changed a lot of assets, models etc

It's not that I'm biased.. it's that I state facts to biased sony fans that don't want to hear them and therefore am viewed to be biased against it. I'm not going to praise a game just because it's a Sony 1st party exclusive. Not my style at all.

If you can show me in any gameplay video or any example screenshots of Insomniac enhancing the things that are more impactful than the XSX getting PC ultra settings over the X1X, I'm all ears - or - we can wait for the DF comparison, and I can tell you I told you so then.

Last edited:
Top Bottom