• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

90's Toys R Us Holiday Ad

Some nostalgia for some of us here

YXESz7X.jpg

5iab465.jpg

k5IEzM9.jpg

ggyJ4H3.jpg

bbm6awG.jpg

eTAE3UK.jpg

K0x8zGH.jpg

k8EgwuC.jpg

iUCK4sv.jpg

GamerJM

Banned
I feel like I've seen this very ad get posted before.

Still interesting regardless, especially as someone who is too young to remember 1996. Those SNES game prices were outrageous!

I always source things like this when people tell me games are more expensive now then they've ever been.

Everyone seems to have forgotten that snes and genesis games were upwards of 70 or 80 dollars on the high end.

Jigolo

The more things change the more things stay the same. Ads look almost exactly the same today. The setup that is

FTF

SNES games were $70?!?!?

I'm never complaining about current gen prices ever again...0_o

lol yup, I remember paying $70 for SFII when it came out…don't know how long it took me to save up for it, but it was freakin worth it haha

george_us

Those handheld game prices are pretty surprising. Some of those aren't much less than 3DS game prices. The ones that are $19.99 could be do to just those titles being older.

lt519

Those cartridge prices... I remember some shortages initially for 64 and places jacking up prices to near $100.

Holy shit though, $15 controller for SNES. What's a typical msrp on controllers now $60, give me a break

Kuroyume

Banned
Only one I never owned was the Saturn. Oh well, at least I got a chance to play a version of VOOT on xbla, and I have a copy of Nights on steam. Most of its best games made their way onto DD services though right?

lupinko

If you thought that was bad, go see what the Canadian prices were back then.

$94 Mega Man X comes to mind.

Only one I never owned was the Saturn. Oh well, at least I got a chance to play a version of VOOT on xbla, and I have a copy of Nights on steam. Most of its best games made their way onto DD services though right?

No, there's a lot of games still left only on the Saturn and in many cases the Saturn version is the definitive version.

Spinluck

I got my fist N64 from Toys R Us. My brother peed on it like a year later, and I cannot remember where we got the second one but my mom just came home with a new one like a week later.

Man, the memories. There was a magic to gaming back then.

I had one of those gold giga pets when I was a kid. I loved that thing to death. Broke my heart when I lost it one day. Never got over it :(

Notker

Unconfirmed Member
No one should assume that SNES games were commonly $70 based on those ads. Games at specialty stores like Toys R Us and Babbages/EB were about $10 more expensive than mass market stores like Target or Wal-Mart. I never paid $70 for a SNES game , and I usually bought them on launch day.

mdubs

Banned
Well let's be honest, $59.99 in 1996 dollars for Super Mario 64 is and will always be a fair price for one of the greatest games of all time

qazqaNii

Meh prices meant nothing as it was my dad that were buying the games, although I am still wondering till this day, how I actually chose the games, I don't recall reading about pilotwings, probotector (contra @ eu), but still I have them, gotta ask my father how and why he bought them :D.

Good ol' times T_T.

Edit: I also don't know why I got myself and PS1 after the SNES, gotta ask that aswell. :p

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I remember that awesome free game deal with the Saturn. Almost made me get one.

Nif

I remember that one very well. It made me want a N64 that christmas. Had that picture of mario on my wall that whole december :p

Qblivion

Seeing stuff like this makes me regret ever selling any of my childhood games. I've rebought them as an adult but they aren't the same ones :(

Top Bottom