• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'97 Goldeneye Game Informer review fail

Kyoufu

Really awful writing, but I can't disagree. Never was impressed with the game and it definitely doesn't hold up.

Turok IS a much better game and is still a blast to play in 2012, believe it or not. It also animates beautifully and runs decently well, unlike Goldeneye.

Still, their critiques for the game are poorly written and completely different from those which define my dislike for it.

in which dimension is Turok better than Goldeneye?

wow, the hate against Mario Kart 64 is strong in here.

I never thought this was popular opinion. As a kid me and my friends absolutely loved that game and played the hell out of it.

The more you know! I didn't know Turok was thought of as anything other than an ugly festering pile of shit until I came to neogaf.

Mario Kart 64 was my life at one point...but it probably hasn't aged well.

"Just another FPS" is so funny to read in 2012. *giggles* It's also funny how N64 was once the home console for FPSes

"This game does have some drawbacks, though. For example, there is another game that is better than this game. Also, there are other games like it."

Opinion my ass. Half of the first one is just wrong.
You absolutely could configure the controls out the ass. You could use 2 fucking controllers and have dual analog if you wanted.
You absolutely could switch weapons backward.
How is it not an opinion still?

I never said all opinions were equal.

Protip: I realize how terrible of a review this is. I just find it silly that people are upset that the reviewers didn't like the game as much as they did.

MYE

wow, the hate against Mario Kart 64 is strong in here.

I never thought this was popular opinion. As a kid me and my friends absolutely loved that game and played the hell out of it.

Its not a popular opinion. Its just the internet being the internet

benjipwns

Banned
Just because it was mentioned...Mario Kart 64 scores from Feb 1997:
Paul: 9.5
Reiner: 9.25
Jon: 9.25

And Super Mario 64 from August 1996:
Andy: 9.5
Paul: 10
Reiner: 9.5

Paul said:
If you don't play Mario 64 don't consider yourself in touch with video games.

Mobius1

Mario Kart 64 was my life at one point...but it probably hasn't aged well.

"Just another FPS" is so funny to read in 2012. *giggles* It's also funny how N64 was once the home console for FPSes

The last time I played through was a couple years ago and I still had a blast, even on single-player. Nostalgia weighs heavily, though.

Seik

Banned
I'm actually happy I was too young back then to know anything about lag. It would have killed the experience.

Thanks youth!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
in which dimension is Turok better than Goldeneye?
This one.

Single player wise, I think Turok (the precursor to Metroid Prime) is a superior experience to Goldeneye.

The multiplayer, however, is one of the reasons why Goldeneye became such a popular title and I can understand someone having a preference for it as a result. I never felt it was very good in multiplayer myself (certainly not compared to things like Quake on the PC), but I see the appeal.

9bm5dl6r77h89lczkmcu_rage-wars.jpg

wi4u929sp8tfsxuou0pq_rage-wars.jpg

19pglh8pkyhyb1cw84se_rage-wars.jpg

Turok: Rage Wars shits over Goldeneye multiplayer.
Control scheme and weapons are better.
Supports the expansion pack.
You can play as a raptor.
Or a pack of mites.
That is all.

kodt

Banned
How is it not an opinion still?

I never said all opinions were equal.

Protip: I realize how terrible of a review this is. I just find it silly that people are upset that the reviewers didn't like the game as much as they did.

It is a provably false opinion, so it is worthless.

I remember that the biggest Dutch gaming magazine gave F-Zero X a 3.5 out of 10 or something ridiculous like that, because it didn't have weapons and the graphics were bad.

I love that in one of the pictures in the scan you can see that they shot the hell out of the trap door in the train before they realized you can use the laser on the watch, haha!

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
FYI the guys that made Turok would go on to found Retro Studios.

So in a way, the GI review was right. ;)

score doesn't match the written part.

would've been slightly more prophetic if they'd mentioned how the game looks like vaseline covered mud.

also, turok 2 was amazing.

I think that Timesplitters games got the same tepid reviews with complaints about controls from some places. People play a game for long enough and they get used to the controls. Although better framerates and precision should be expected as technology improves.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Some might forget that Turok 1 was pretty goddamn outstanding for its time. The N64 had damn near nothing to deliver post-launch, and Turok swooped in and delivered a solid 90's style FPS experience. Looking back, it easily doesn't hold up, but again, mindblowing for its era. Goldeneye was an improvement, which doesn't exactly placate the review quotes. But Turok really did turn some heads when it came to FPS experiences on the consoles.

Deserved. Mario Kart 64 is the worst Mario Kart entry ever. What a huge disappointment after the genius Super Mario Kart.

Agreed. 4-player dorm play was novel, but MK64 was a piece of shit compared to its predecessor. Though really, every MK kind of blows.

Mitsurux

Trying to remember what the format of the magazine was back then.. but I'm pretty sure there was a "main" part and then these little snippets at the end... it would be interesting to rre-read the main part...

anyone have scans of that?

xHAASx

Banned
Well when he said there is no way to switch weapons backwards, he was factually wrong. I was only referring to the actual factual mistakes.

Right. Nevertheless, his opinion of the game, is unable to be "proven false".

Muffdraul

All these years, I thought I was the only one who thought Turok was the best N64 FPS and the first console FPS to get the controls right. Not Goldeneye, which I never really cared much for. *tears of joy*

kodt

Banned
All these years, I thought I was the only one who thought Turok was the best N64 FPS and the first console FPS to get the controls right. Not Goldeneye, which I never really cared much for. *tears of joy*

I will admit that Turok had a better default control scheme. Goldeneye had so much auto-aim you didn't need the stick to aim.

Seventy5

Well, the controls were quite shit, especially for someone used to m&kb back then. I loved Goldeneye as much as anyone back then, but you have to be realistic, the controls sucked badly.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The remake is pretty much a completely new game.
Yeah, but the original is SO dated at this point that I think it would be difficult to enjoy.

This isn't like going back to the NES where you still get 60 fps and spot on controls. Goldeneye comes from an era when people were still figuring 3D and first person console controls out. If you don't have that nostalgia for it, the game isn't going to hold up at all.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Turok 2 is where its at. I played the first few levels so many times.

Also Mario Kart 64 was great. Doesn't compare at all to the most recent ones, but it was my 1st Mario Kart, so i got great memories from this game and i always play its tracks in Retro Cups.

Goldeneye really doesn't hold up well this days.

Prophetic review, if anything.

Lol, I'm not sure the guy even played it, it doesn't sound like it to me. He whines about only scrolling up for weapon selection which is false (you can scroll back, or select from menu). He whines there are no configurable controls, also false.

Prophetic my ass. . The only thing this review foretold was a new job for this guy somewhere else. I hope.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Maybe Turok was better as a FPS, but Goldeneyes mission structure, content, and music are what makes it the overall better game. It was just so much fun.

Wish more FPS today would be packed with content like Goldeneye. There really hasn't been another game like it. Except maybe timesplitters.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I never got the Goldeneye love. I thought it was alright, and multiplayer was okay, but meh. It wasn't even the best N64 game to come out in the US in August 1997. That would be Tetrisphere.

there's a name for people that aren't that impressed by Goldeneye. we're called PC gamers. if i was jealous of one N64 FPS it was Turok 2. truth. Goldeneye had bizarre controls (yes yes, configurable whatever, but the whole stupid thing where the gun moves and view doesn't shouldn't be an option let alone a default) and average at best single player. first really good console FPS multiplayer? well yeah... but it was nothing compared to what was happening over in PC land at the time.

Goldeneye does have bad controls, though. M+kb existed in '97. It's a great game, but its claim to fame was "we made fps work on console" not "we made better fps controls on console".

Top Bottom