• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'97 Goldeneye Game Informer review fail

there's a name for people that aren't that impressed by Goldeneye. we're called PC gamers. if i was jealous of one N64 FPS it was Turok 2. truth. Goldeneye had bizarre controls (yes yes, configurable whatever, but the whole stupid thing where the gun moves and view doesn't shouldn't be an option let alone a default) and average at best single player. first really good console FPS multiplayer? well yeah... but it was nothing compared to what was happening over in PC land at the time.

Turok 2 came out for pc.
Rage Wars, not so much. ;(

What makes me really laugh is that the reviewer is complaining about the number of FPS on the N64, this generation might've been like Hell to him :(

I never got the Goldeneye love. I thought it was alright, and multiplayer was okay, but meh. It wasn't even the best N64 game to come out in the US in August 1997. That would be Tetrisphere.

Setting up a ton of proximity mines in Facility and then playing hide and seek was one of the best multiplayer experiences I've ever had in any generation. I could do that shit for hours.

I recently played through Goldeneye again and loved it.

A lot of it was to do with the nostalgia goggles I was wearing, but it was still damn good fun and I loved the tiered mission design.

90sRobots

I played 3 player splitscreen Goldeneye on a 5-inch TV in a van back in the day. We definitely had lower standards back then.

MisterHero

Well Konami's arcade fighters aged terribly. it's old so it has to be bad

all you do is walk around and mash the attack button, and jump -> attack if you want to be cheap

they don't focus on special moves or combos like the ones from Capcom or Sega, can't pick up weapons like in Data East's Double Dragon or Neo-Geo beat-em-ups, and all of them pale in comparison to the ones being made by Platinum today

Actually, I prefer Konami's classic beat-em-ups, except X-Men is pretty bad. what's the deal with trading life for mutant powers

The funny thing is I don't like one game over the other, but Turok: Dinosaur Hunter was why I wanted an N64 even after playing Super Mario 64 at Toys R Us. (I was 11.)

LCfiner

I read the highlighted negative comments about the game, looked at how they bothered the OP, and then I looked down at the old score. 8.75.

I laughed heartily.

Anth0ny

"Just another FPS"

I love it.

I'm still able to play Goldeneye today with friends. You get used to the shitty framerate after a few minutes. But at first, it's pretty fucking jarring, lol.

Also, Diddy Kong Racing>>>Mario Kart 64

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm looking forward to the "'06 Twilight Princess GameSpot review fail" thread in 2021 where the OP will lament over the score 8.8.

Goldeneye does have bad controls, though. M+kb existed in '97. It's a great game, but its claim to fame was "we made fps work on console" not "we made better fps controls on console".
having grew up with both console and pc fps, goldeneye is one of the first few games that i remember that had dual-stick controls. of course you had to configure it in the options, which made it annoying when i played multiplayer at different people's houses. it was pretty unfair actually since everyone else i knew used default controls. i was able to crouch circle strafe around them all day long.

i've never played turok so i can't comment on which is the better game, but goldeneye was an awesome multiplayer fps game regardless. the maps and weaponry and the ability to configure which ones you want was awesome. also fighting for who got to play as oddjob was hillarious.

Perhaps it should have been default, but yes, Goldeneye had Turok-style "strafe" controls that were as close as you could possibly get on a controller to KB/mouse and it was the only way I played once I found them. C-buttons corresponded to WASD and the analog stick was mouselook. Trigger was under the analog stick. Perfect.

dose

Turok had some cool animations, but did not have location based animations like Goldeneye. A random death animation would play when you killed someone.
Not true. It didn't have the variety Goldeneye did, true, but shooting a guy in the neck in Turok would make him hold himself near his head before dropping to the floor.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I never got the Goldeneye love. I thought it was alright, and multiplayer was okay, but meh. It wasn't even the best N64 game to come out in the US in August 1997. That would be Tetrisphere.

Yup, remember everyone raving about it back in the day but I couldn't take the awkward MIDI breakbeat music, large levels with repetitive textures, and single-digit framerate in multiplayer. At least the new Goldeneye game has that cool club scene :p

there's a name for people that aren't that impressed by Goldeneye. we're called PC gamers. if i was jealous of one N64 FPS it was Turok 2. truth. Goldeneye had bizarre controls (yes yes, configurable whatever, but the whole stupid thing where the gun moves and view doesn't shouldn't be an option let alone a default) and average at best single player. first really good console FPS multiplayer? well yeah... but it was nothing compared to what was happening over in PC land at the time.

Actually, what was happening in PC land at that time? Duke/Quake? Half-life wasn't out yet.

Also, the people laughing at the "just another FPS" line need to realize that the same-yest of same-y FPS games released these days would be pushing GOTY status if released back in 1997, visuals aside. For every Quake or Duke3D there were like five really atrocious FPS churned out, and even the more interesting ones like Strife still contained a lot of tedium. There's a reason why Half-Life was considered so significant.

That's a long ass grudge to hold against Game informer

Is that reviewer still working for the mag?

Yes, and Andy Mac posts on GAF occasionally. Maybe he'll show up in this thread.

(And actually, I don't recall Reiner ever being on NeoGAF, but it wouldn't surprise me if he was.)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well Konami's arcade fighters aged terribly. it's old so it has to be bad

all you do is walk around and mash the attack button, and jump -> attack if you want to be cheap

they don't focus on special moves or combos like the ones from Capcom or Sega, can't pick up weapons like in Data East's Double Dragon or Neo-Geo beat-em-ups, and all of them pale in comparison to the ones being made by Platinum today

Actually, I prefer Konami's classic beat-em-ups, except X-Men is pretty bad. what's the deal with trading life for mutant powers
Konami's arcade games were always pretty bad. Streets of Rage 2 wiped the floor with every one of them. They were designed to eat quarters.

At least they ran at 60 fps, however, so they still feel reasonably playable today.

Hero

Goldeneye wasn't perfect but there are factual errors in the reviews not to mention the writing is awful.

raven777

I dont know how goldeneye ages, but I loved it when I played it at my friends's house all the time.

Reviews are just an opinion, but I think if the review is based on false facts, then there is a problem

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
having grew up with both console and pc fps, goldeneye is one of the first few games that i remember that had dual-stick controls. of course you had to configure it in the options, which made it annoying when i played multiplayer at different people's houses. it was pretty unfair actually since everyone else i knew used default controls. i was able to crouch circle strafe around them all day long.

How would that even work, considering the
atrocious
N64 controller only had one stick?

hampig

I completely agree with the review. The controls are terrible. It was all I knew back then so it didn't stand out, but now it's a definite problem. I had a lot of fun with it back then, but it has its place in my memory and it's best to leave it at that.

TheNatural

My Member!
Comparing it to Turok 2? Turok 2 was the biggest piece of shit I bought for N64. The controls were dog ass. I paid $5 for it and it was a ripoff. LOL @ that comparison.

Satchel

Banned
Goldeneye really doesn't hold up well this days.

Prophetic review, if anything.

Thought the exact same thing.

I tried playing goldeneye a few weeks ago on my 64. Painful to say the least. I'm sure the HD remake like perfect dark on XBLA would have been great though

CTE

Seems like a good review to me. 8 or 9 back in 97 was a really good score. Some of you must be quite young to think this is a bad review. It's quite glowing other than the control complaints(which were warranted BTW). They say it's an otherwise solid game that is lots of fun.

MisterHero

Konami's arcade games were always pretty bad. Streets of Rage 2 wiped the floor with every one of them. They were designed to eat quarters.

At least they ran at 60 fps, however, so they still feel reasonably playable today.
I only agree about X-Men.

The others were just different from the other companies' beat-em-ups, even if they didn't do stuff like combos or weapons (Simpsons had weapons though). Simple gameplay made them feel more active and approachable.

Ignoring the age argument, Goldeneye was a great game for its time, with lots of content both for single and multi-player. I hope it being on a console before the creation of platform-wide networks won't be used against it. :p

xHAASx

Banned
Did I travel back in time..Marty?

We all did.
happy.png

Wrekt

wow, the hate against Mario Kart 64 is strong in here.

I never thought this was popular opinion. As a kid me and my friends absolutely loved that game and played the hell out of it.

You and your friends were correct. It is the best Mario Kart.

With the original Super Mario Kart being the worst.

Actually, what was happening in PC land at that time? Duke/Quake? Half-life wasn't out yet.

you need more than Duke 3D and Quake as examples of 2006 FPS games on PC? really?

well two months after Goldeneye we got Jedi Knight. happy yet?

seriously, what more than Quake do you need? Terminator: Skynet and Future Shock from Bethesda.

such a silly response.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
you need more than Duke 3D and Quake as examples of 2006 FPS games on PC? really?

well two months after Goldeneye we got Jedi Knight. happy yet?

seriously, what more than Quake do you need? Terminator: Skynet and Future Shock from Bethesda.

such a silly response.

PC had Blood, so PC wins by default.

Top Bottom