• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$99.99 DLC hits Live

You guys know nothing. They are charging 99.500 CLP in my region... thats over $200 dollars...

Yeah, thank you Microsoft...

Aselith

Grinchy said:
I've seen people drop 100s of dollars on TF2 gifts for random people on servers. I've read the stories about people buying $2000 worth of keys. People are crazy if they have money to burn and want to support a company. It seems crazy to me, but I don't see the problem with it. No one is gonna pay that much unless they really want to. Let them have their ridiculous purchases.

Difference there being that you get a feature complete game and then can buy extra stuff. This Age of Empires season pass is for parts of the game. It'd be like only getting access to the pyro and scout and having to pay for the other characters six months at a time.

The bad thing about free to play in general is that they give you a shittier game than you used to buy and then hope you get hooked on it enough to pay as much as you would for a regular game or more without thinking about it. Can't say that's the case here but I'm guessing this doesn't have the same balance between civs as previous AoE games. More likely it favors the premium civs which is not a good thing.

Dark Octave said:
THIS JUST IN: THINGS COST MONEY!

People wanted to buy a new AoE game but Microsoft shut down their studio despite their still being successful. They shut it down because they didn't want to do PC development anymore and then come back years later with a freemium model. Why don't they make a real game and sell that shit?

Billychu said:
Often to the detriment of those who would rather just buy the game like normal.
Yeah, but is what's happening here really that bad? It might be. However, my suspicion is that many are reacting unfavorably without so much as giving it a chance. Sure, a $50 traditional product sounds just swell to me, but instead we've got one that's free to try, and probably $20 for at least one civ to experience the game proper. Additionally, there's a lot more content out there if the game monopolizes your time. $99 for six months of content? Seems pretty steep to me. Then again, six months of World of Warcraft would cost $90. Seems high to me. Ergo, I don't play WoW. But it's probably pretty reasonable for people who log on practically every day.

Back to free to play. I personally think the jury's still out. Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't. But I'm open to studios trying alternative models. And there are core titles that are doing well based on the experiment. It was my understanding that it worked out well for Lord of the Rings Online. It's my understanding that it's working well for League of Legends. It's not just Farmville and Korean MMOs that are trying to "ruin" gaming with this model.

Persona7

Banned
The bigger question is why do people care and why is gaf annoyed by something they would have never bought anyway.

This is basically a subscription.

XNA and that new thing on PSN costs 99 bucks as well for a subscription and it is basically downloadable content.

Billychu said:
I'm not upset with this game. I was just speaking generally about F2P games.
I understand that. I don't want the entire industry to move to this model either. However, for a one-title experiment, I really think we can hold back the feigned outrage at supercilious DLC that one doesn't need to buy. After all, though it might have been ideal to simply release via traditional means for us, I think it's worth noting that there is now a brand new Age of Empires game out that you can play legally free of charge. You can try it for free before you deride it as a scam.

Or, in other words, phrases like "Worst gen ever" become completely meaningless when we loft them at every tiny thing that offends us. "Wait, I can try this game for free instead of giving them $50? Fuck them!"

What if you wait a while and then buy the 6-month pass?
Will you get all the previous DLC up to that point, or just the DLC released during that 6-months?

I assume you get to keep it after your sub has expired?

Instead of the past where you'd have to pay full retail price for a game, only to find out you dislike it (we've all had that happen), we're letting you check the game out for free

Funny. In the past we had little things called "demos".

DownWithTheShip said:
I assume you get to keep it after your sub has expired?

From the way it is presented that seems to be the case. And if it is then people are really overreacting to this imo. Its not like a WoW subscription if you get to keep your content.

What really bothers me is that they are talking about not making a $50 purchase on faith that the game is good, but then turn around and want us to spentd $100 on faith that the next 6 months will provide good DLC

Top Bottom