• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors out now for iOS in Japan

LiK

Uchikoshi just tweeted about the iOS version. Here's the crappy Google translation:

about the cuts

Notices [(999 SSN version below) door Smart Sound Novel 9 hours of nine 9]:

part consisting of a puzzle game called "escape part" was has been included in the 999 ★ DS version, but we cut it dare the SSN version of this time. Also people "puzzle game Ne'm a little weak" and, because I wanted to know this story by all means reason.

Game of 999 is one that is approved as a complete work for the first time if there is escape part of course. And We would like to have your understanding that I was allowed to the pricing of this in that sense. I am happy if you can enjoy towards the DS version is also in accordance with all means those who are playing for the first time in the SSN 999 version this time, and from which you felt something unsatisfactory

also a PSA

Please note that those who purchased the first for iPad will not be able to start the application in iPhone. Those who purchased an iPhone for the reverse is possible to run at any iPad but the image will be the rough. (It is a fiercely beautiful if you have to play on the iPad for iPad course ※!!)

To solve that problem, because of the use of images with different resolutions, respectively for iPhone / iPad for those who played on the iPhone and buy "for iPad" How to be played on iPad, the "for iPhone" please.

Huh. Well... huh. Okay.

999/VLR threads must have the highest spoiler to non-spoiler ratio.
If I knew anything that was on the first page before I played the game (even stuff not under the spoiler bars), it would have given a few things away. Of course, the game made itself hard to discuss in the first place.

LiK

If I knew anything that was on the first page before I played the game (even stuff not under the spoiler bars), it would have given a few things away. Of course, the game made itself hard to discuss in the first place.

i remember that the 999 OT was just a huge wall of black bars which was why I made the Spoilers thread for you guys. ;)

i remember that the 999 OT was just a huge wall of black bars which was why I made the Spoilers thread for you guys. ;)
999 is such a difficult game to convince people to play without spoilers.
I was lucky that my friend trusts me, no questions asked, on video game recommendations. I have no idea how I could have convinced her otherwise. @.@

Uchikoshi on why they cut the puzzle stuff:
理由は「パズルゲームはちょっと苦手なんだよねー」という方々にも、ぜひこの物語を知って頂きたかったからです

We cut the puzzle sections because we wanted people who weren't good at puzzle games to be able to enjoy the story as well.

Essentially, there were people saying "I suck at puzzle games but the story looks really interesting ='(" Hence the sound novel approach.

demidar

A toggle to turn them on and off would have worked.

But there's story bits interspersed with the puzzles.

While I can see why they would remove the puzzle parts, I liked them because it's part of the whole "escape or die" scenario. Puzzles are just begging to be solved.

How are the puzzle parts dealt with in the port? Is a synopsis given? Is it just rewritten or written out?

GSR

Say Ryouga, if/when you play this, could you let us know if there's actually any difference in the music? I'm not really sure how they could 'update it' short of rearrangements, since I'm pretty sure the original just used the DS' sound capabilities, which means if anything the iOS version's sound would possibly be lower quality due to having to use (possibly compressed) external music files rather than generate it through the hardware.

(I could be totally wrong on this though.)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Not really though. You'd be missing the dialogue and character stuff within the rooms.

Looking at the screens it doesn't look like that stuff is missing the way they actually did it, but you can confirm on your end! I don't know why you're against a puzzle toggle over just not having them though.

demidar

Say Ryouga, if/when you play this, could you let us know if there's actually any difference in the music? I'm not really sure how they could 'update it' short of rearrangements, since I'm pretty sure the original just used the DS' sound capabilities, which means if anything the iOS version's sound would possibly be lower quality due to having to use (possibly compressed) external music files rather than generate it through the hardware.

Good point, also the music during the puzzle phases were pretty good. It'll suck if they only get 30 seconds of playtime.

Either way I'll be grabbing an iTunes card after the day job today, so I'll let you all know what the deal is.

I'm hopeful because they didn't just try to copy and paste the game to iOS. It would appear as though they put some actual effort into it.

LiK

Either way I'll be grabbing an iTunes card after the day job today, so I'll let you all know what the deal is.

I'm hopeful because they didn't just try to copy and paste the game to iOS. It would appear as though they put some actual effort into it.

If you didn't get my DMs, no need to buy me the game anymore!

Lusankya

I am really curious how they do
the story twist
in this version. I am pretty sure Uchikoshi would never have done this if it hadn't worked out.

I'm looking forward to your impressions.

If it ends up being translated i'll buy it.

One could never have to many copies of 999.
It's been confirmed for an English release by Uchikoshi.

PK Gaming

I'm looking forward to your impressions.

It's been confirmed for an English release by Uchikoshi.

Victory Dance!

tumblr_m74opwVbUR1qcrne8.gif

The puzzles were interesting but the meat of the game was always the story. It is a visual novel afterall. And having to replay the puzzles on subsequent play throughs was a waste of time (I think you had to but played the game a long time ago).

Hero

This just sounds like a bad idea. I guess it fulfills a small niche but really who doesn't have a DS?

Seems more offensive than the watering down of TWEWY.

Eusis

Yeah, The World Ends With You was a necessary compromise. This, I'm not really sure why the hell the puzzle sequences had to be removed, seemed like they'd have fit alright on a mobile device or at least a tablet.

demidar

The puzzles were interesting but the meat of the game was always the story. It is a visual novel afterall. And having to replay the puzzles on subsequent play throughs was a waste of time (I think you had to but played the game a long time ago).

While I agree that redoing puzzles was a bit of a chore, removing them entirely (as in completely writing them out) is a bad idea. In fact, it doesn't actually matter what the puzzles are or what they are about, just the mere existence of them is necessary.

Aeana

While I agree that redoing puzzles was a bit of a chore, removing them entirely (as in completely writing them out) is a bad idea. In fact, it doesn't actually matter what the puzzles are or what they are about, just the mere existence of them is necessary.
We don't know that they wrote them out completely. I wish someone would play it and give some concrete info.

demidar

We don't know that they wrote them out completely. I wish someone would play it and give some concrete info.

I know, but in the absence of information I'm gonna speculate like crazy about possible changes and ramifications. I think my statement is valid, if it comes to pass.

krYlon

You know what, this is great news, I'd love to replay this without having to go through those puzzles again. Not being able to skip through already completed puzzles was a really bad design choice, to the extent that actually I'd rather the puzzles were taken out completely.
The end puzzle and dual screen arent as important to the story as people are making out.

I'm sure they will keep the puzzles in for VLR and the third game, and thats fine as you only need to do them once.

Thoraxes

iirc, there was a version, sans compression, released of the OST. I'd have to double-check to be sure though.

I'm pretty sure Hosoe created the audio first then compressed it for the medium. There's too much sound processing going on in his compositional techniques (and patch/bank usage + their manipulation) that I don't see any reason to believe it was done using DS processing (and dat sine wave generation in Ternary Game).

So the first escape room in the iOS version.

It explains that Junpei searched the room and found a trunk on the bed, and grabbed the cards out of it. He then figures out the whole nonary number thing, and manages to get out of the room.

Audio sounds great so far, and the visuals are nice and crisp. I can confirm that the Flowchart works just like VLR, and you can jump to a bunch of different points in time whenever you feel like it.

EDIT: Woh, this is cool. You can go into the log and select certain key phrases to immediately jump back to that point in the conversation. Can't remember if that existed in the original version.

So the first escape room in the iOS version.

It explains that Junpei searched the room and found a trunk on the bed, and grabbed the cards out of it. He then figures out the whole nonary number thing, and manages to get out of the room.

Audio sounds great so far, and the visuals are nice and crisp. I can confirm that the Flowchart works just like VLR, and you can jump to a bunch of different points in time whenever you feel like it.

EDIT: Woh, this is cool. You can go into the log and select certain key phrases to immediately jump back to that point in the conversation. Can't remember if that existed in the original version.
Is there ANY dialogue at all during the escape rooms? if you've done any escape rooms after the first of course.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Darnit, If I'd known it was coming to iOS I wouldn't have spent a week watching SuperGreatFriend's excellent Let's Play!

krYlon

Is there ANY dialogue at all during the escape rooms? if you've done any escape rooms after the first of course.

I'm pretty sure there would have to be, wouldn't there? Some pretty important information would be left out otherwise. Also, you have to make at least one choice in one of the rooms.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Well they've certainly made me want to buy it just to see exactly how they are going to handle the ending stuff.

So, uh, mission accomplished?

I'm conflicted... This looks really nice with non-pixelly artwork, but no puzzles? That's what made 999 so great!

That said, if the puzzles were included, and dual screen play was an option (like Ace Attorney HD, for example), this could have possibly been the definitive version of 999. That flowchart, man... That flowchart! Possibly the largest grievance people had with the original... GONE!

I can't say I'll buy it, but if Uchikoshi is behind it, hopefully the story wasn't totally messed up and is executed as well as it was in the DS game. I mean... there's hope, right? Has anyone finished the iOS version yet? I'd love to hear their thoughts.

And I'm all for the English version. Heck, I just might support it to show that western audiences will buy VNs and play them. If it means getting things like the iOS and Android version of Ever17 over here, it's a no-brainer!

P.S. Aksys... If you're reading this, PLEASE! Try to get Ever17 over here either on PC or iOS/Android. Just- I need a way to play that game that doesn't involve killing my wallet! (or sailing the seven seas)

Maedhros

I find the argument of the game being better on the DS pretty stupid. Even though the end thing was kind of cool, it wasn't really vital to the game. It was just... cool.

The only problem I can see with this version is the no puzzle aspect of it. It makes the game a lot more boring, that's for sure.

I'm conflicted... This looks really nice with non-pixelly artwork, but no puzzles? That's what made 999 so great!

That said, if the puzzles were included, and dual screen play was an option (like Ace Attorney HD, for example), this could have possibly been the definitive version of 999. That flowchart, man... That flowchart! Possibly the largest grievance people had with the original... GONE!

I can't say I'll buy it, but if Uchikoshi is behind it, hopefully the story wasn't totally messed up and is executed as well as it was in the DS game. I mean... there's hope, right? Has anyone finished the iOS version yet? I'd love to hear their thoughts.
They should take the new art assets and flowchart, put the puzzles back in and re-release it as an eShop/PSN game. Minds will melt.

I find the argument of the game being better on the DS pretty stupid. Even though the end thing was kind of cool, it wasn't really vital to the game. It was just... cool.

The only problem I can see with this version is the no puzzle aspect of it. It makes the game a lot more boring, that's for sure.
???

They should take the new art assets and flowchart, put the puzzles back in and re-release it as an eShop/PSN game. Minds will melt.

O.O My god... All that's missing is VAing and we'd easily have- *shudders* I can't even begin to imagine how awesome it would be!

Woah.
Woah hold on.

I did not get that last bit,
Where you were playing as Akane through the field.
I just assumed she was narrating, but someone didn't piece that particular bit.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
All I can hope is that this doesn't represent a new direction for the 3rd game. I like having puzzles. :/

Uchikoshi on why they cut the puzzle stuff:

Essentially, there were people saying "I suck at puzzle games but the story looks really interesting ='(" Hence the sound novel approach.

LO, if there was only a magical information transportation system, devised by the cleverness of mankind, that could transpose knowledge at the tips of ones fingers! Woe unto us how we can only complain on the internet in imputant rage!
More like the puzzles were meh and one of the games two weak links, so this ain't no real loss.

Top Bottom