• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999 the novel (iOS) launches March 17

You still have to fast forward through all the dialogue? Can't skip scenes?

I got the
Coffin ending
and the game rewarded me by abruptly ending and making me play through that entire scenario again...
Just about the worst creative choice I've ever seen in gaming.

It's the reason I've never played VLR, despite it sitting on my Vita for nearly a year now.

Narroo

I got the
Coffin ending
and the game rewarded me by abruptly ending and making me play through that entire scenario again...

It's the reason I've never played VLR, despite it sitting on my Vita for nearly a year now.

Well, they fixed that in VLR. You can jump around to different scenes.

I got the
Coffin ending

According to the site, there is now a text speed setting and a flowchart to jump to story points.

You could already skip previously-seen dialogue on the DS version.
That's not the same thing.

My understanding is that the flowchart streamlines things a bit more for already seen parts, while the text speed setting allows for a better pace the first time.

After hearing how Virtues Last Reward should be played after playing 999, I've been waiting for a chance to nab it. Technically the DS version isn't too expensive on Amazon UK right now, so depends what it actually costs on iOS.

Loved the DS version, so I'll probably get this one too to refresh the story and support the devs. There were one or two bad endings I didn't get in the DS version I think, so I'll fix that this time.

Haha, wow the spoilers on the character pages are awful. If I were to pick like 5 of 999's plot twists off the top of my head, those photos spoil entirely or hint at about 4 of them.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I believe it should be $4.99 :)

I probably won't play it again because I've already played 999 a lot, but I'll pick it up day one just to show my support.

Hopefully this sells a lot and you guys can shove the amazing numbers down those shitty Spike Chunsoft executives' throats down the line. Bring on ZE3.

LiK

Updated OP with spoiler warning and price and the interview. I apologize if anyone is spoiled by it. I should've posted the warning sooner. :(

I don't think he would be banned if he didn't pirate it. I played 999 on my PC after buying a copy from a GAFer since my DS with my sister who was in another city and no one had a problem with it in the OT including the Aksys staff.

Unless the mods are omnipotent, I'm not sure how they could figure out if he pirated it or not. Seems you have to tread really lightly on this site.

I'd be down for this game on Android. I played the VLR demo on Vita and the puzzles annoyed the hell out of me so I'm cool with this being a visual novel.

I came across these while random searching around:

tumblr_mx2jyflZl51qbm8zgo5_400.png

tumblr_mx2jyflZl51qbm8zgo2_400.png

tumblr_mx2jyflZl51qbm8zgo4_250.png

I hope dialogue like this stays in the iOS version. I know there aren't puzzles, but oh man... The puzzle dialogue is some of the best stuff!

SoulUnison

Banned
As did 999, in regards to the Fast Forward bit.

You had to completely re-do puzzles, though. VLR's "Safe Password" system meant you could skip a room you didn't want to do again the moment you were in it, or poke around for fun or dialog you enjoyed while always having the option to skip forward at any time.

Shojx

The exclusion of the puzzles is strange as
they're essentially a crucial element to the story, especially the very last puzzle (;__;),
but I suppose it's good that more people will have a chance to experience the great story.

Seriously though, if you're able to, you should pick up the DS version as it's arguably the better version overall.

dream

I choose to interpret the "Zero Escape Volume 1" on the splash screen as a sign that the sequel will be coming to iOS at some point.

Elija2

I choose to interpret the "Zero Escape Volume 1" on the splash screen as a sign that the sequel will be coming to iOS at some point.

Let's hope so. The more people that get to play these games, the better.

To those that are playing through the iOS version, tell us how it handles where the puzzle sections used to be.

Nasser

Great! finished my DS version last summer. though, won't pick this up now. I might do it later and see all endings.

Whoa, since I've already beat the game this actually sounds like a better version to revisit. Don't have to do the puzzles, faster text, and the flow chart from VLR. Sounds incredible.

PirateKing

I played 999 for 40mins, got stuck at the very beginning of the game, had to Youtube that shit, which I hate doing for games, then I just gave up. Apparently it has a great story, and I love that but I hate puzzle games so damn much.

Phii

Banned
So annoying it didnt say anything it wasnt optimized for iPhone 3GS (unless I missed that information, all I found was it's optimized for iPhones with iOS 5.1 or later), Im stuck at the main menu screen because the resolution is for iOS devices with retina display; "New Game" button is out of the screen.

Ah... well, my goal was anyway to support the developers. Bring on ZE3!

EDIT: Maybe it's time for an iPad Mini

EDIT2: Bought the iPad version as well!

bobawesome

One of the very first words you see when you first start the game is "crusie" ship. How did this manage to slip through?

Aside from that, it seems alright so far. I made it out of the first room. My biggest complaints so far are the speech bubbles and the notification bar while playing horizontally. The speech bubbles look pretty out of place but maybe I'll get used to them later on.

Thanks.

So is the iphone/ipad time and battery always shown?
The notification bar isn't present while playing vertical for whatever reason. This kinda bums me out since I prefer reading/playing games in horizontal view.

Top Bottom