• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A 5-Year-Old Just Beat Bloodborne: An Interview

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Ezra Fox is coming for the crown. The 5-year old phenom just beat Bloodborne, the notoriously hard PS4 game by FromSoftware. As documented on his dad Robbie’s Twitter feed, Ezra has sliced, slashed, and dodged his way through one of the most difficult souls likes in gaming history. We spoke with Robbie about his son’s achievement, what motivated them to attempt this audacious undertaking and what kind of trouble they ran into along the way. Read on below!

Goomba Stomp: So Robbie, what made you think your son had it in him to tackle Bloodborne?

Robbie Fox: Ezra always loves watching me play my games. He has watched me play Sekiro, Dark Souls 1 and 3, Demon’s Souls Remake, and most recently Bloodborne. He would constantly ask me if he could try, and for a while, I would not allow it. But one day, I decided to just see how he would handle the opening section of Bloodborne. He did surprisingly well, so I let him just keep playing until it got too hard. But he never wanted to stop playing!

GS: How long did it take Ezra to beat the game?

Robbie: With my help of showing him where to go, he was able to finish the main game in 21 hours over a time span of 3 weeks.

GS: Were there any bosses he really struggled with?

Robbie: The bosses that gave him the most trouble were Father G, Rom, and Shadows of Yharnam. The shadows were the ONLY boss he needed help from a Summon.

GS: Bloodborne can be a tough game to navigate. Did Ezra struggle with where to go and how to get there?

Check the link for more.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
That is crazy good hand eye coordination for a 5 years old to beat bloodborne...

A 5 years old beating Logarius, Father Gascoigne, Ebrietas, Gehrman etc? Wow....cant even imagine

Me at 5 years old ? Still catching buterflies at the garden...

I believe this kid is really smart ( have a very high IQ)

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
doesnt count if he had to summon bruh! seriously though, puts my nephews to absolute shame
With or without summon thats is still a crazy good achievement for 5 years old kid

Why you have to put him down like that?

Last edited:
and people say this game is hard. sure, it doesn't hold your hand and presents a bit of a challenge but people make it out to be one of the hardest games ever. it's right there in that article! they call it "the notoriously hard" game. From Software games aren't hard. it says a lot about the state of gaming if people consider them hard. Most games these days are dumbed down with constant control hints, pointers on screen telling you where to go, and even in game characters telling you what to do.

Bloodborne/Dark Souls (not so much Sekiro which is still challenging but relatively dumbed down in comparison) just drop you in and let you figure shit out on your own. You actually need to think for yourself and that's what scares people away. "Oh no I can't run mindlessly through this area and 1 hit kill everyone!". not gonna lie, that was my approach first time I played Bloodborne because all i had really played until that point were games like GTA or Call of Duty. People go in expecting instant gratification without any effort and then they get pissed off AT THE GAME when they die 5, 10, 15, 20 times in a row. YOU need to learn from your mistakes. It's not the games fault. YOU need to change YOUR approach to the game. YOU need think for yourself. YOU need to learn from YOUR mistakes.

BB/DS aren't hard games. They just don't baby you and that catches people off guard. Spend an hour or two learning the game and you will breeze through it. Bloodborne kicked my ass in the first few hours but afterwards I was rolling through it. Yeah there were some bosses that stopped me but it wasn't for long. Again I learned what i was doing wrong and learned from it.

if a 5 year old can beat it then what's your excuse now? git gud

Last edited:

Melchiah

Robbie: Every game by From Software has very deep lore and the story telling can be very convoluted and confusing even for adults. So Ezra had NO idea what the story was even about. He skipped every cutscene. All he knew about the game was that there were “bad guys” and “bosses” and that he needed to kill them.

olOdq1p.gif

Akuji

Bloodborne with help? Yeah of course he gets it done. Now give him silent hill. I struggled with that one for weeks when I was little.
If the kid has been taught well that gaming is just that, gaming. And he understands that it’s the same as playing ball. Then why shouldn’t he let his kid play? When I grew up ( born 92 ) I played mortal kombat and resident evil / silent hill as well because my bigger brother played those games. Never thought I can relate gaming to the real world. Kids are smarter then many give them credit. And they learn frickin fast

GeorgPrime

Banned

Ezra Fox is coming for the crown. The 5-year old phenom just beat Bloodborne, the notoriously hard PS4 game by FromSoftware. As documented on his dad Robbie’s Twitter feed, Ezra has sliced, slashed, and dodged his way through one of the most difficult souls likes in gaming history. We spoke with Robbie about his son’s achievement, what motivated them to attempt this audacious undertaking and what kind of trouble they ran into along the way. Read on below!

Check the link for more.

Jeah... just charge the parents for letting their 5 year old play Bloodborne lol

DonJorginho

Banned
Did I fall onto ResetEra? Seeing so many people make this a Child Abuse discussion for whatever reason.

It is against the law yeah and maybe not the most responsible thing but if the kid enjoyed it and wanted to play it, then get off the Dad's back. You seriously telling me all you guys had to wait till you were 18 to play your first 18 rated game? Come on now...

Parenting is unique and you take your own path to raising your kids, it may be irresponsible to let your kid play a game like Bloodborne at 5 years old I completely agree but if the child isn't harmed by it and enjoys it then don't make this something it doesn't have to be.

You guys really sounding like this mf :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

maxresdefault.jpg

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Pfft... Have him play The Adventures of Cookies n' Cream single player. Now THAT'S a true test of skill and From Software's Magnum Opus.

Last edited:

Aldynes

One could argue that back then we had hard as balls games from all genre and period too, pick either the 8 bits to 16 bits era and you pretty much got covered, don't get me wrong Bloodborne is the poster child for recent hardcore gaming experience and difficulty, it's just aside from really bad parenting most of the rest of the gamers who played this game are teens / adults due to the gore and difficulty, impressive work for a 5 year old.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Its not about playing hard games, he is playing bloody, gory games at 5. Bloodborne is for kids 16+.
Maybe it's a mistake, maybe it isn't. Kids aren't guaranteed to be negatively affected by games with older age ratings, they're cautionary advice. It's entirely possible that this kid will not suffer at all. Of course we are talking about possibilities, so it's also possible that he will. Only time will tell, and we have to hope the parent(s) guided him well enough for it not to be an issue.

BlackTron

That is crazy good hand eye coordination for a 5 years old to beat bloodborne...

A 5 years old beating Logarius, Father Gascoigne, Ebrietas, Gehrman etc? Wow....cant even imagine

Me at 5 years old ? Still catching buterflies at the garden...

I believe this kid is really smart ( have a very high IQ)

I would love to see this kid play what I was when I was 5, Ducktales.

I'm not being sarcastic, I really want to see what happens lol.

Kokoloko85

This is as believable as the cat who finished Final Fantasy 7 all those years ago Lol.
Unless he’s a gaming genius lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom