• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

A 9-year-old girl was handcuffed and pepper sprayed by Rochester Police officers responding to a call of 'family trouble'

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
May 22, 2018
A 9-year-old girl was handcuffed and pepper sprayed by police officers responding to a report of "family trouble" in Rochester, New York, on Wednesday, according to Rochester Deputy Police Chief Andre Anderson.

Two body camera videos of the incident released by the police department on Sunday show officers restraining the child, putting her in handcuffs and attempting to get her inside the back of a police vehicle as she is heard repeatedly crying and calling for her father.
Officers are then seen pepper spraying the girl after she doesn't follow commands to put her feet inside the car.
The girl was transported to Rochester General Hospital where she was later released, Anderson said.

No matter how you feel about BLM or the police at this point in time this should be something that everyone Right or Left should be able to come together on. You don't use Pepper Spray on a 9yr old child. No matter how disruptive she is. No matter how belligerent she is being. She is a child. Let her scream. Let her yell. Let her throw the tantrum. Let her scream herself blue in the back of the car. She is no danger to anyone especially while cuffed in the back of the car like that. You do not use that level of force on them. Ever. There is no excuse for this.

The other officers involved should at the very least be reprimanded and the officer that did the spraying and the officer that encouraged it should be fired immediately and not be allowed to return to the force anywhere else.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

Jan 1, 2011
USA
If she was acting like a wild animal and not following simple orders what do you think was going to happen.
You dont know the whole story so how would you handle this if the kid was acting all crazy and not listening to simple commands ?
Would you rather have them put her in restraints? Either option is not a good look .
This is what happens when you tell kids all police are bad people .

The officers were told the girl was "suicidal" and that she had "indicated that she wanted to kill herself and she wanted to kill her mom," the deputy chief explained.
This right here is all you need to know, if a child is threatening to kill herself and the MOM , kid gloves are off.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

May 22, 2018
If she was acting like a wild animal and not following simple orders what do you think was going to happen.
Fuck all of the way off with that nonsense. She is a 9yr old girl. If we were talking about a 24yr old dude then we would be having a different conversation, but this is an actual child. What was she going to do if they had just shut the door and let her cry inside the car? Nothing? Oh okay then better pepper spray the 9yr child who is crying for her father. Oh but lets just threaten her beforehand with physical harm in order to calm her down. That oughta work right?

You are being intentionally stupid by trying to excuse this.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2010
Florida USA
You dont know the whole story so how would you handle this if the kid was acting all crazy and not listening to simple commands ?
Would you rather have them put her in restraints? Either option is not a good look .

Cunts like you don't deserve the same oxygen other people breath, I do hope one day you reflect on the shit you spew and become a decent person, but fuck if that's ever going to happen.

A fucking 9 year old, A CHILD, but I guess being black makes her less human in your eyes.

Nobody_Important

May 22, 2018
This right here is all you need to know, if a child is threatening to kill herself and the MOM , kid gloves are off.
She is NINE YEARS OLD. What the fuck is she gonna do while handcuffed in the back of a cop car? "Kid gloves are off!" against a 9yr old girl who is handcuffed, crying for her dad, and in the back of a cop car? Really? That is when you take the "gloves off"?

Are you drunk? Or are you just extremely inept at handling stressful situations?

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

May 22, 2018
Doesnt look good. Probably need to suspend the cops. But havent we learned not to rush to judgement?
We have on video cops threatening a 9yr old child with physical harm if she doesn't calm down and then proceeding to pepper spray her less than 45seconds later. Anyone who has younger siblings, cousins, or even distant relatives knows how unrealistic that demand is at the best of times let alone while the child is handcuffed in a cop car.

There is not much judgement to rush to. It's all right there for literally everyone to see.

Last edited:

poppabk

Jan 21, 2008
USA

She was put in restraints and then pepper sprayed.
I saw this the other day and the whole thing is just depressing as the father of a 9 year old myself. The life of the kid must have been horrific to get them to that stage at that age. I feel sorry for the police having to deal with that and they genuinely did seem to try and deescalate and help the kid at first. Unfortunately it seems that the special unit that was set-up for dealing with this kind of thing wasn't able to respond as there were other criminal matters involved that required the police. Pepper spraying a handcuffed 9 year old can never be condoned and the officer who did it should be fired in my view, the handcuffing and everything else was justified in my opinion though. Just thoroughly depressing and sad all round.

DESTROYA

Jan 1, 2011
USA
Fuck all of the way off with that nonsense. She is a 9yr old girl. If we were talking about a 24yr old dude then we would be having a different conversation, but this is an actual child. What was she going to do if they had just shut the door and let her cry inside the car? Nothing? Oh okay then better pepper spray the 9yr child who is crying for her father. Oh but lets just threaten her beforehand with physical harm in order to calm her down. That oughta work right?

You are being intentionally stupid by trying to excuse this.
She said she wanted to kill herself and her MOM , yeah lets give her a hug and it‘ll make everything magically better right?
Cunts like you don't deserve the same oxygen other people breath, I do hope one day you reflect on the shit you spew and become a decent person, but fuck if that's ever going to happen.

A fucking 9 year old, A CHILD, but I guess being black makes her less human in your eyes.
Some real mental gymnastics there.
Please explain to me how you would handle this ?
She is NINE YEARS OLD. What the fuck is she gonna do while handcuffed in the back of a cop car?

Are you drunk?
Are you retarded ?
It’s obvious she needs help and the best way to get her help is at a hospital which is what the police where trying to do , you still have’t answered my question on what you would do ?
Are you just going to lash out with your fee fees and , its not a racial thing , they wer trying to get her help as fast as they can.
But once you threaten to kill yourself and a parent you have to take action no matter how drastic or bad it looks.

It's Jeff

Aug 28, 2015
When an officer makes a reasonable request, you comply. If proper procedures aren't followed, you sue for damages. I'm guessing there's more to this video, but it looks like the police are speaking to her calmly and giving her plenty of chances to relax. There's a cut in the middle of the footage, so maybe something else happened to make this worse, but I don't know. If so, that should be addressed.

While nobody wants to see a child pepper sprayed, what's the alternative here? Think about what kind of harm they could have caused trying to restrain or move her without it. She ends up on the ground, gets her face bashed in, ribs crushed, slips on the snow, who knows? I don't like it, but this sure isn't as black and white as it's being presented.

Nobody_Important

May 22, 2018
It’s obvious she needs help and the best way to get her help is at a hospital which is what the police where trying to do , you still have’t answered my question on what you would do ?
Are you just going to lash out with your fee fees and , its not a racial thing , they wer trying to get her help as fast as they can.
But once you threaten to kill yourself and a parent you have to take action no matter how drastic or bad it looks.
So you are just actually stupid then and not playing pretend. "They were trying to get her help!" Oh yeah sorry I must have missed the "help" they were trying to get her between the handcuffing and the pepper spraying. Even if you were right and she needed a hospital pepper spraying a child is NOT the way to do it. Just shut the door. Let her kick and scream. let her cry. It harms literally no one other than maybe her vocal chords as she screams and cries. There is literally no reason to use violence against a child in this situation.

I have seen you post some seriously dumb shit before, but defending child abuse that is on video is a whole other level of dumb and I am shocked to see it if I am to be honest.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
I do love how Democrats dangle children in front of everyone to get you to take certain positions on complex issues.

If only this Democrat police precinct had used clipboards and de-escalated the situation like they all tell us when the television cameras are running. We all know that girl would've graduated school and become a doctor, let's not kid ourselves. Fire the officer and defund Rochester police department. Obvious solution.

Let's get some peaceful protests going, too. A child should never be treated this way. What is wrong with the police in deep-blue Democrat cities? Is Chuck Schumer gonna apologize to his constituents for allowing this systemic racism in his own district go unnoticed for so long?

Punkster88

Mar 25, 2020

The fuck is wrong with you. I could give a fuck how she's acting or what she said it's a child. There was no need to use such force the kid obviously has issues so traumatizing the shit out of her is not going to help her long term.

DESTROYA

Jan 1, 2011
USA
So you are just actually stupid then and not playing pretend. "They were trying to get her help!" Oh yeah sorry I must have missed the "help" they were trying to get her between the handcuffing and the pepper spraying.

I have seen you post some seriously dumb shit before, but defending child abuse that is on video is a whole other level of dumb and I am shocked to see it if I am to be honest.
Dont be a idiot, I was not condoning the cops actions or child abuse.
But great job avoiding the question I asked twice already but I guess someone as disingenuous as you does that because you have no answers.
Dont give a fuck and hate me all you want , you posted a thread and didn’t get the reaction you wanted to see because all you see is one side .
Should have they of sprayed her with mace , absolutely not
Its obvious she was having some sort of mental issue and probably would of been best to have a ambulance called .
She kicked and screamed at the cops while threatening to kill herself and her mom and didnt comply with orders basically resisting arrest.

Reactions: MetalAlien

DESTROYA

Jan 1, 2011
USA
The fuck is wrong with you. I could give a fuck how she's acting or what she said it's a child. There was no need to use such force the kid obviously has issues so traumatizing the shit out of her is not going to help her long term.
So it would of been better to let the kid kill her Mom and then herself right ?
A much better outcome :pie_eyeroll:

Reactions: MetalAlien

Dunki

Oct 24, 2017
She is NINE YEARS OLD. What the fuck is she gonna do while handcuffed in the back of a cop car? "Kid gloves are off!" against a 9yr old girl who is handcuffed, crying for her dad, and in the back of a cop car? Really? That is when you take the "gloves off"?

Are you drunk? Or are you just extremely inept at handling stressful situations?
AGE does not fucking matter. Last year here in Germany a 12 year old stabbed a bus driver to death because he did not wanted to pay for his ticket. . You can not argue with age. There are 10 year olds who killed people.

I do not know the circumstances but use Age is very lazy and naive. Thisguy here is 15!!!! And he needed to be stopped by 6 people because he was a danger to them and himself.

Nobody_Important

May 22, 2018
Dont be a idiot, I was not condoning the cops actions or child abuse.
But great job avoiding the question I asked twice already but I guess someone as disingenuous as you does that because you have no answers.
Dont give a fuck and hate me all you want , you posted a thread and didn’t get the reaction you wanted to see because all you see is one side .
Should have they of sprayed her with mace , absolutely not
Its obvious she was having some sort of mental issue and probably would of been best to have a ambulance called .
She kicked and screamed at the cops while threatening to kill herself and her mom and didnt comply with orders basically resisting arrest.
You accuse me of dodging while dancing around the main point of the story. Which is cute. The NINE YEAR OLD CHILD is handcuffed in the back of the car crying for her father. Her threats, behavior, and attitude was of no threat to anyone anywhere at that point. Where in her behavior was the only option to pepper spray the child?

Don't deflect to her threats. Don't dance around. Explain how the use of pepper spray against this handcuffed child in the back seat of a cop car is justified. Explain it to me. I'll wait.

Last edited:

Hari Seldon

Dec 5, 2008
This is what happens when you have an entire culture of broken homes and no support network. You call the cops cause your 9 year old is having a hormone attack? Really that is what you do?

Reactions: Guilhermegrg
Aug 23, 2010
Florida USA
Just realize that this is something your mind has fabricated.

Nah, I simply know as a black man, the subtle comments, the digs and coded language that racists use when they comment here.
The fucks in here that call Michelle "Micheal" do it for a reason, those who advocate for PEPPER SPRAYING a HANDCUFFED 9 YEAR OLD because she is acting like a WILD ANIMAL do that shit for a reason, so keep your fucking concern.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

May 22, 2018
AGE does not fucking matter. Last year here in Germany a 12 year old stabbed a bus driver to death because he did not wanted to pay for his ticket. . You can not argue with age. There are 10 year olds who killed people.

I do not know the circumstances but use Age is very lazy and naive. Thisguy here is 15!!!! And he needed to be stopped by 6 people because he was a danger to them and himself.

This might be the most pathetic use of whataboutism I have ever seen in my life. You are trying to use cherry picked bullshit from much older individuals to excuse the abuse of a 9yr old child who is handcuffed and in tears.

That is fucked up in my opinion.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

Jan 1, 2011
USA
You accuse me of dodging while dancing around the main point of the story. Which is cute. The NINE YEAR OLD CHILD is handcuffed in the back of the car crying for her father. Her threats, behavior, and attitude was of no threat to anyone anywhere at that point. Where in her behavior was the only option to pepper spray the child?

Explain it to me. I'll wait.
Read above you I never said it was the right thing to do and they could of handled things better.
But keep on avoiding my question that you never answered .
Explain it to me .I’ll wait.........oh no you won’t because you avoided every time.

Dunki

Oct 24, 2017
This might be the most pathetic use of whataboutism I have ever seen in my life. You are trying to use cherry picked bullshit from much older individuals to excuse the abuse of a 9yr old child who is handcuffed and in tears.

That is fucked up in my opinion.
NO I said that AGE is not an argument here. Her personality and beahviour is. NOT HER AGE.

• LOL

Nobody_Important

May 22, 2018
Read above you I never said it was the right thing to do and they could of handled things better.
But keep on avoiding my question that you never answered .
Explain it to me .I’ll wait.........oh no you won’t because you avoided every time.
What question is that? Be specific.

Reactions: belmarduk

DESTROYA

Jan 1, 2011
USA
Nah, I simply know as a black man, the subtle comments, the digs and the excuses and coded language that racists use when they comment here.
The fucks in here that call Michelle "Micheal" do it for a reason, those who advocate for PEPPER SPRAYING a HANDCUFFED 9 YEAR OLD because she is acting like a WILD ANIMAL do that shit for a reason, so keep your fucking concern.
First of all you don’t know shit about me and to make those assumptions is just ignorant.
Of course people bring race into it when thats all they see.
Go cry somewhere else

Nobody_Important

May 22, 2018
NO I said that AGE is not an argument here. Her personality and beahviour is. NOT HER AGE.
Her age is absolutely an argument you dunce. If a child throws a fit a in front of an officer you do not just abuse the shit out of them. If a 30yr old does the same then obviously that is a different situation and should be handled differently.

Age matters. The fact you think it doesn't is ACTUAL ignorance.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

Jan 1, 2011
USA
are those the only options? either let the kid kill her mother or shoot the kid in the face? if these cops couldn't handle a fucking 9yr old and couldn't find a better solution then they shouldn't be cops.
Those were the options that were on the table at the time.
What question is that? Be specific.
Your inner retard is coming on real strong today isn’t it.

Police job is hard work and sometimes in the heat of things you do things you wouldn’t normally do and like I stated earlier they should not have done it and dont condone it personally.
Being peppered sprayed is one of the least harmful things you can do to make someone comply it irritates the eyes for about 30-40 minutes , you make it sound like they shot her in the face with a gun.

Last edited:
  • LOL

Nobody_Important

May 22, 2018
Keep her cuffed in the back of the car.

She isn't going anywhere, and she's not a danger to anybody.

Escalating with pepper spray was completely unjustified.

It's not that tough to figure out.
Finally. Some god damn sense.

DeepBreath87

Jun 15, 2019
It’s not great, but if they had to get her in the car, options are pretty limited. And I guess they could’ve pinned her to the ground, cuffed her legs as well, and forced her into the car. I’m not sure that’s a better solution. Maybe it is.

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Jun 5, 2011

I hope you never have kids you apologist POS.

Kids are not rationale and adults are supposed to take care of them, not scar them for life.

Dunki

Oct 24, 2017
Her age is absolutely an argument you dunce. If a child throws a fit a in front of an officer you do not just abuse the shit out of them. If a 30yr old does the same then obviously that is a different situation and should be handled differently.

Age matters. The fact you think it doesn't is ACTUAL ignorance.
So when a 10 year or 9 old olds a knife for example it does not matter? If two 11 year old boys torture a 5 year old and kill him it does not matter? I am the ignorant? You would be the irngorant arriving at such a sitatuion while getting stabbeed in the stomach. Ignorance that would cost you your life.

Just like a police officer just getting to a traffic control not having his hands on his weapon.

Again how this kid behaves is mimportant. Would it be here right to pepperspray here? NO I do not think so

Nobody_Important

May 22, 2018
It’s not great, but if they had to get her in the car, options are pretty limited. And I guess they could’ve pinned her to the ground, cuffed her legs as well, and forced her into the car. I’m not sure that’s a better solution. Maybe it is.
Stop blindly making excuses and actually watch the video. She was already handcuffed and inside the car when they pepper sprayed her. She was in the car crying for her father when they threatened her.

She was already under their control. She was already within their power. Everything they did was excessive at that point.

Nobody_Important

May 22, 2018
So when a 10 year or 9 old olds a knife for example it does not matter? If two 11 year old boys torture a 5 year old and kill him it does not matter? I am the ignorant? You would be the irngorant arriving at such a sitatuion while getting stabbeed in the stomach. Ignorance that would cost you your life.

Just like a police officer just getting to a traffic control not having his hands on his weapon.

Again how this kid behaves is mimportant. Would it be here right to pepperspray here? NO I do not think so
You are being actually fucking stupid now. Stop making imaginary arguments that have nothing to do with the situation at hand. This was a 9yr old girl who was handcuffed in the back of a car. She had no weapon. She had no power. She had no ability to do fucking anything. There was literally no reason at all to threaten her let alone actually abuse her. All they had to do was shut the door and let her throw her fit.

The fact you are trying to find outs for the officers involved despite the video evidence says wonders about your priorities.

Last edited:

DeepBreath87

Jun 15, 2019
Stop blindly making excuses and actually watch the video. She was already handcuffed and inside the car when they pepper sprayed her. She was in the car crying for her father when they threatened her.

She was already under their control. She was already within their power. Everything they did was excessive at that point.
It looks like she’s refusing the put her legs in the car. And apparently she had been kicking the police? I don’t expect cops to allow themselves to be kicked. Even by kids. So if the girl needed to be inside the car, and was refusing, and had been violent, options are limited. How would propose they get her legs in the car?

I mean they could physically force her the rest of the way in. Probably what I would’ve done. But then you’re manhandling a child. Not a great look either.

I’m being genuine. It’s not defending the police. I want a better solution.

Last edited:
  • Praise the Sun
Reactions: DESTROYA

I_D

Dec 22, 2007

Posing a hypothetical situation isn't really relevant to this particular scenario.

Any person can be dangerous or non-dangerous depending on that particular situation. Each situation requires a different response.

In this particular situation, a small child is surrounded by full-grown adults while already in restraints and inside of a police vehicle. Upping the force was completely unnecessary.

Nobody_Important

May 22, 2018
It looks like she’s refusing the put his legs in the car. And apparently she had been kicking the police? I don’t expect cops to allow themselves to be kicked. Even by kids. So if the girl needed to be inside the car, and was refusing, and had been violent, options are limited. How would propose they get her legs in the car?
SHE IS A CHILD GENIUS. THERE ARE ALSO 5+ COPS THERE. YOU JUST LIFT HER LEGS INTO THE FUCKING CAR. YOU DON'T PEPPER SPRAY HER WHILE SHE CRIES FOR HER DAD.

SHE

IS

NINE

YEARS

OLD

Holy almighty shit you guys are either supremely stupid or just outright trolling at this point.

Last edited:

The Hamburglar

but get my takes from clown world with Ronald
Mar 6, 2016

Always the same with those clowns.
‘We don’t know the full story’
It’s their perfect defence for defending the indefensible. Was pathetically used for trump pardoning those murders. Even here.

what if a teacher couldn’t control a 9 year old and peppered sprayed them? Off with their head. But a police officer who is supposed to be trained? Nah gloves are off officer did nothing wrong.

Dunki

Oct 24, 2017
Posing a hypothetical situation isn't really relevant to this particular scenario.

Any person can be dangerous or non-dangerous depending on that particular situation. Each situation requires a different response.

In this particular situation, a small child is surrounded by full-grown adults while already in restraints and inside of a police vehicle. Upping the force was completely unnecessary.
These are true events that did happen. I am just arguing that AGE does not matter. The personality of the child does. How it behaves etc. Not her AGE. I am even with you people here. But AGE is not the factor. The Age Argument makes your argumentation weaker.

• LOL

Punkster88

Mar 25, 2020
Please explain to me how you would handle this ?
Oh I don't know maybe call CPS and have them separate the kid from the mom for a little while. maybe talk to the kid once she's calmed down and try to find out what caused her to go psycho. growing up the cops did exactly that for me and my friends they were strict but fair and they were definitely a lot more compassionate.

DESTROYA

Jan 1, 2011
USA

Even when kicking and screaming at the cops and refusing them when they tell her to put her legs in the car to shut the door?
Look I don’t agree with the way they handled it but can see the reason why they did what they had to do, you guys make it sound like being pepper sprayed is a death sentence, newsflash its not in 30-40 minutes it goes away

Last edited:

DeepBreath87

Jun 15, 2019
SHE IS A CHILD GENIUS. THERE ARE ALSO 5+ COPS THERE. YOU JUST LIFT HER LEGS INTO THE FUCKING CAR. YOU DON'T PEPPER SPRAY HER WHILE SHE CRIES FOR HER DAD.

Holy almighty shit you guys are either supremely stupid or just outright trolling at this point.
Jesus you’re hostile. Take it down a notch. So force her into the vehicle with force. That’s going to be rough on her. Especially if she starts kicking.

Reactions: NeoLed

I_D

Dec 22, 2007
Even when kicking and screaming at the cops and refusing them when they tell her to put her legs in the car and shut the door.
Look I don’t agree with the way they handled it but can see the reason why they did.

Have you ever had to care for a child? They kick and scream and throw tantrums all the time.

You just grab them and toss them into bed/bath/clothes/etc.
In this case, it's a car.

Using a self-defense weapon isn't the fair response for the actions.

DeepBreath87

Jun 15, 2019
Have you ever had to care for a child? They kick and scream and throw tantrums all the time.

You just grab them and toss them into bed/bath/clothes/etc.
In this case, it's a car.

Using a self-defense weapon isn't the fair response for the actions.
Probably too aggressive, you’re right. But I don’t think people want police grabbing and tossing kids around either. This girl is 9, not 4. It’s not going to be gentle.

The Hamburglar

but get my takes from clown world with Ronald
Mar 6, 2016
These are true events that did happen. I am just arguing that AGE does not matter. The personality of the child does. How it behaves etc. Not her AGE. I am even with you people here. But AGE is not the factor. The Age Argument makes your argumentation weaker.
A 9 year old girl is tiny and physically weak. So yeah actually compared to a 15 year old teenage boy age does matter.

‘im with you but but”

ok buddy

sleepnaught

Jan 12, 2017
Christ, I can't imagine some of you raising children. Probably child abusers if you can't find a way of restraining a 9 year old little girl without resorting to violence. I have a pretty unruly 10 year old nephew who gets physical, but he's fucking 10 years old. Not exactly hard to restrain a small child, especially if you have handcuffs and a secure vehicle to place them in.