• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

A 9-year-old girl was handcuffed and pepper sprayed by Rochester Police officers responding to a call of 'family trouble'

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
May 22, 2018
Jesus you’re hostile. Take it down a notch. So force her into the vehicle with force. That’s going to be rough on her. Especially if she starts kicking.
Oh no! The 9yr old girl started kicking??? Oh god how will the fully grown adult officer survive such a vicious attack? Nevermind guys. I can totally see why the officers threatened and abused the child now. Her kicking them was just too much of a risk for them to take.

I feel like I have taken fucking crazy pills

Last edited:

The Hamburglar

but get my takes from clown world with Ronald
Mar 6, 2016
Christ, I can't imagine some of you raising children. Probably child abusers if you can't find a way of restraining a 9 year old little girl without resorting to violence. I have a pretty unruly 10 year old nephew who gets physical, but he's fucking 10 years old. Not exactly hard to restrain a small child, especially if you have handcuffs and a secure vehicle to place them in.
Don’t worry I’m sure someone will quote you with a video of a ten year old killing someone.

Reactions: Guilhermegrg

Nobody_Important

May 22, 2018
Christ, I can't imagine some of you raising children. Probably child abusers if you can't find a way of restraining a 9 year old little girl without resorting to violence. I have a pretty unruly 10 year old nephew who gets physical, but he's fucking 10 years old. Not exactly hard to restrain a small child, especially if you have handcuffs and a secure vehicle to place them in.
No see apparently you are supposed to savagely beat children into submission.

No room for context or kindness. Just punt kick those little shits the moment they act up apparently.

DeepBreath87

Jun 15, 2019
Oh no! The 9yr old girl started kicking??? Oh god how will the fully grown adult officer survive such a vicious attack? Nevermind guys. I can totally see why the officers threatened and abused the child now. Her kicking them was just too much of a risk for them to take.

I feel like I have taken fucking crazy pills
Maybe you have. You’re pretty unhinged. Police are not going to allow themselves to be kicked. A nine year old can break your nose if they kick your face. So any restraint will have to stop her from kicking. So it will be somewhat forceful and likely unpleasant. But I do think it would be a better option.

It seems like you think these police should accept being kicked. But maybe I’m misunderstanding you.

• LOL
Reactions: nkarafo

Nobody_Important

May 22, 2018

These two 10 year olds murdered and totured another child. Your argument is pretty weak.
That is the dumbest fucking argument you have ever made and I have seen you make some dumb as hell arguments.

"These two kids over 20 years ago did something bad so its okay to physically abuse this handcuffed and crying 9yr old girl"

WOW! That is some excellent and not at all porous logic on your part friend.

Last edited:

The Hamburglar

Mar 6, 2016

These two 10 year olds murdered and totured another child. Your argument is pretty weak.
Are you thick? 2 ten year olds are physically weak to a fully grown police officer.

guess what the baby they killed was physically weak to them, why? Because it was a toddler. Your post proves me right you clown.

Nobody_Important

May 22, 2018
Maybe you have. You’re pretty unhinged. Police are not going to allow themselves to be kicked. A nine year old can break your nose if they kick your face. So any restraint will have to stop her from kicking. So it will be somewhat forceful and likely unpleasant. But I do think it would be a better option.

It seems like you think these police should accept being kicked. But maybe I’m misunderstanding you.
ZI have no words for this level of ignorance. I just don't. It's not within me.

Dunki

Oct 24, 2017
That is the dumbest fucking argument you have ever made and I have seen you make some dumb as hell arguments.

"These two kids over 20 years ago did something bad so its okay to physically abuse this handcuffed and crying 9yr old girl"
AGAIN. I am with you about the fucking abuse. BUT AGE DOES NOT MATTER.

• LOL

DESTROYA

Jan 1, 2011
USA
No see apparently you are supposed to savagely beat children into submission.

No room for context or kindness. Just punt kick those little shits the moment they act up apparently.
When you threaten to kill yourself and a parent , it escalates pretty quick.
She was savagely beaten into submission now ?
You do realize pepper spray doesn’t do any permanent damage right ?

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
People saying she was already in the car completely seem to be ignoring the text of the story. Maybe you watched the video and CNN cut the part out where she was half in the car and refused to pull her feet in repeatedly? That's in the text the OP posted.

It was either the pepper spray or a manhandling. Pepper spray is safer for everybody involved unless you want to spend time in court defending yourself from a sexual assault of a minor charge.

Yeah, that's the world we live in. The cops didn't make that world. Instead of blaming them you might want to consider why pepper-spraying a 9-year old looks like the least-worst option from their point of view.

Last edited:

DeepBreath87

Jun 15, 2019
ZI have no words for this level of ignorance. I just don't. It's not within me.
It seems you’re having a rough day. I do think this could’ve been handled better. Physical restraint is unpleasant, but it’s a better option, sure. I guess that I find your level of outrage pretty extreme. I get that it’s not great. But in the grand scheme of this, everyone is fine. Some suspensions can be given. Hopefully the girl gets some help.

But in the wider world of terrible things, this isn’t going to rise very high. It’s early in the day, so you might want to save some of that outrage before you wear yourself out.

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: DESTROYA

Nobody_Important

May 22, 2018
AGAIN. I am with you about the fucking abuse. BUT AGE DOES NOT MATTER.
It does though you absolute loon. If you have a 28yr old throwing a fit, lashing out, and demanding to see his dad then you use force if necessary. If a 9yr old child is doing the same you toss them in the cop car and let them scream themselves hoarse. You don't threaten them and you sure as shit don't actually harm them. It doesn't matter how big of a fit they are throwing.

This is not rocket science. I should not have to explain this. What is wrong with you?

FreedomOfSpeech

Gold Member
Dec 4, 2019
Nah, I simply know as a black man, the subtle comments, the digs and the excuses and coded language that racists use when they comment here.

If you search for racism, you will find it. That's what CRT is all about. Soon everything will be coded language in your ears.
Good luck with that. I'd opt for another worldview myself.

• Fire

Stefan.North

Mar 6, 2019
Fuck all of the way off with that nonsense. She is a 9yr old girl. If we were talking about a 24yr old dude then we would be having a different conversation, but this is an actual child. What was she going to do if they had just shut the door and let her cry inside the car? Nothing? Oh okay then better pepper spray the 9yr child who is crying for her father. Oh but lets just threaten her beforehand with physical harm in order to calm her down. That oughta work right?

You are being intentionally stupid by trying to excuse this.
My father was shot by 11yo. Only small wound, but still. Even children can kill, and as he was saying "if you're old enough to shoot someone, then you're old enough to be shot at".

But yeah, this scene on video is not OK.
All I'm saying is that when there's heavy crime involved, forget about age.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Dec 12, 2013
It's not a good look for sure but I agree with Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes , if they didn't follow procedure then punish them, if they did, then change the procedure. I do wish there was this much outrage for stories involving MUCH more tragic ends for little kids though, like the ones where they get raped by illegal immigrants or shot and killed by BLM supporters. Sadly those stories get swept under the rug by the media and the people that really want to talk about a story like this one are generally the same that have no interest in discussing those other stories whatsoever since most of the time they actually champion the perpetrators.

• Thoughtful

Mista K

Oct 5, 2010
U.S.
Age is kind of beside the point here, I put a grown man down some stairs when I was 8. Fact of the matter is that she was already handcuffed and sitting in the back. Pepper spray was too much when they could have easier shoved her in more.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dunki

Dunki

Oct 24, 2017
Age is kind of beside the point here, I put a grown man down some stairs when I was 8. Fact of the matter is that she was already handcuffed and sitting in the back. Pepper spray was too much when they could have easier shoved her in more.
exactly

Nobody_Important

May 22, 2018
My father was shot by 11yo. Only small wound, but still. Even children can kill, and as he was saying "if you're old enough to shoot someone, then you're old enough to be shot at".

But yeah, this scene on video is not OK.
All I'm saying is that when there's heavy crime involved, forget about age.
That kind of example has literally nothing to do with this situation. This is not a child running rampant inside of a home or a child that has any kind of weapon in their hand at all.

This young girl was already handcuffed and secure in the back of a police car while multiple officers threatened her with bodily harm to try to get her to calm down. And then when she did not they pepper sprayed her in the face.

This is not a situation that can be explained away by just saying oh well do just whatever the officers tell you to do. This is a child they have no grasp of such a situation. young children are emotional and incoherent at the best of times let alone when they are handcuffed, separated from their parents, and being threatened by strangers.

I honest to God do not understand how this is so hard to understand. The only thing that I can think of is that those of you who are trying to excuse this just do not have any young siblings or family members. And have never been forced to deal with an unruly child. That or you are just so biased against any kind of anti-police story that you are willing to excuse actual abuse in order to defend them. The police are not infallible. They do make mistakes. This is unquestionably one of those mistakes.

Dunki

Oct 24, 2017
That kind of example has literally nothing to do with this situation. This is not a child running rampant inside of a home or a child that has any kind of weapon in their hand at all.

This young girl was already handcuffed and secure in the back of a police car while multiple officers threatened her with bodily harm to try to get her to calm down. And then when she did not they pepper sprayed her in the face.

This is not a situation that can be explained away by just saying oh well do just whatever the officers tell you to do. This is a child they have no grasp of such a situation. young children are emotional and incoherent at the best of times let alone when they are handcuffed, separated from their parents, and being threatened by strangers.

I honest to God do not understand how this is so hard to understand. The only thing that I can think of is that those of you who are trying to excuse this just do not have any young siblings or family members. And have never been forced to deal with an unruly child. That or you are just so biased against any kind of anti-police story that you are willing to excuse actual abuse in order to defend them. The police are not infallible. They do make mistakes. This is unquestionably one of those mistakes.
YES AND WE AGREE HERE-

BUT YOUR ARGUMENT THAT SHE WAS 9 YEAR OLD IS A FUCKING STUPID ARGUMENT. NO MATTER HOW OFTEN YOU TRY TO INSULT OTHERS

• LOL

Petey-o

Nov 17, 2019
If she was acting like a wild animal and not following simple orders what do you think was going to happen.
You dont know the whole story so how would you handle this if the kid was acting all crazy and not listening to simple commands ?
Would you rather have them put her in restraints? Either option is not a good look .
This is what happens when you tell kids all police are bad people .

This right here is all you need to know, if a child is threatening to kill herself and the MOM , kid gloves are off.
this some retarded-ass shit right there

NahaNago

Aug 29, 2014
I'd say the pepper spray went too far as well if she was already handcuffed. Just put in her in the back of the police car until she calms down. I'm sure she would get tired eventually from whatever wildness she would display. Call child services at the same time to deal with the wild child as well.

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
Will wait for the entire story to come out before I say anything. After being lied to about Taylor, Floyd, Brown, Blake, I’m not interested in hearing anything until the entire truth comes out.

Dunki

Oct 24, 2017
Why are you clowns changing your tune and saying exactly?

if you agree pepperspray is too much why not just say ‘ this is too much’ instead of millions of made up scenarios and whataboutism.
because all of this has nothing to do with her fucking age....

• LOL

The Hamburglar

Mar 6, 2016
because all of this has nothing to do with her fucking age....
You tried to argue 10 year olds aren’t weak because they murdered a baby. News flash 9 year olds are physically weak compared to grown adults.

StormCell

Dec 11, 2018
Do we have to race bait every thread? I looked throughout the article for some mention of her ethnicity. I quick-scrolled the video to see what her ethnicity is. Why not just treat this as race neutral rather than bringing BLM and race into it? This crap happens to basically everybody.

On the one hand, there's no good reason to use pepper spray on the child. On the other hand, there is every reason to get this child the care she needs. She has indicated she is a threat to take her own life, and she has stated she wants to kill her mom. I'm going to assume her mother called the police due to the trouble that was ongoing. I think the police response needs to be very serious here, and there is virtually no way as an office I would leave without the child given the seriousness of the call.

Now, what else do the officers have that is perhaps weaker than pepper spray? A child that is not listening has to be brought into submission in this situation. I've seen some suggestion of waiting out her tantrums, but there are other emergencies for these officers to possibly attend to while this is going on. What now? Tranquilizer? Sleeper hold? (I'm kidding) What?

Last edited:
  • Fire

ManofOne

Plus Member
Nov 4, 2020
As a father of two daughters, I won’t condone this however. If the girl was mentally unstable, threatening to kill her self and her mother, being purposefully difficult. I would try not to call the police, the police may have their own standard operating procedure which they would apply across the board regardless of age.

But I will wait for further details to come out.

DESTROYA

Jan 1, 2011
USA
In this thread we learn why some people shouldn't be parents, or even operate heavy machinery.

Actually trying to defend pepper spraying a 9 year old child handcuffed inside a car.

What in the living fuck is wrong with some of you?!?!?!
So you shouldn’t be a parent or operate heavy machinery ?

I don’t see anyone rooting on the cops here, the kid was kicking and screaming at the cops and wouldn’t comply when asked to put legs into the car to bring her where she can get help. You can’t do that when her legs are sticking out of the car while kicking and screaming with the door flung open.
Was it a good decision to pepper spray her , no but you guys make it sound like they murdered her on the spot.
You do realize pepper spray on lasts around half an hour right? Terrible situation all around.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Feb 5, 2013
Cops shouldnt have been called to deal with this. They have no training.

Very upset to see a 9 year old suicidal person. What a nightmare scenario for parents.

Reactions: *Nightwing and Rien

Vestal

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2007
Tampa FL
So you shouldn’t be a parent or operate heavy machinery ?

I don’t see anyone rooting on the cops here, the kid was kicking and screaming at the cops and wouldn’t comply when asked to put legs into the car to bring her where she can get help. You can’t do that when her legs are sticking out of the car while kicking and screaming with the door flung open.
Was it a good decision to pepper spray her , no but you guys make it sound like they murdered her on the spot.
You do realize pepper spray on lasts around half an hour right?
9 year old child handcuffed.. There is no excuse, there is no justification, there is nothing that would make this "OK"...

If these cops justified to themselves in using pepper spray on a handcuffed 9 year old, WTF kind of use of force do they justify on a teenager or an adult. There are few times in stories that hit national attention that we can see CLEARLY whats right and wrong. This is one of those few instances. This is one of those moments were we don't try to over analyze the situation because there is simply no other reasonable and humane conclusion. These cops should not wear a badge.

Oct 26, 2018
There's like 7 cops in that video.

Looks like the good 'ol Rodney King "let's let a couple asses do their shit, while the rest of us stand here and watch".

The chummy "let's kick ass and back each other up trick" strikes again.

And cops wonder why many people don't like them.

If there was a fist fight at the office, people would jump in and break it up. With cops, when the cop is winning, every other cop just sits back and grabs popcorn.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2016
“Any chemicals in your eyes, nose or lungs isn’t good, but it’s especially worrisome for kids because their organs are still developing,” said Purvi S. Parikh, an immunologist who specializes in pediatric health at New York University Langone Health. “It has the potential of causing long-term effects.”

A child may develop neurological effects, such as nerve or brain damage, she said.

They may develop lung problems from the exposure such as asthma, according to Parikh, or allergies if the chemical enters their upper respiratory tract.

“There might be other effects that we don’t even know about, because it hasn’t been studied that much,” she added. “It’s not a common situation where people would spray kids.”

Immediate physical effects are only a piece of the puzzle, according to Rohini Harr, an emergency physician who specializes in health and human rights and a professor at the University of California Berkeley.

The mental health effects of being pepper-sprayed as a child “cannot be overstated,” she said.

Doesn't seem like a good idea to spray kids with chemicals. As mentioned by others, it must be investigated whether this is according to procedure or not. Change the procedures if necessary, and/or deal with the cops who did this.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Nov 4, 2020
9 year old child handcuffed.. There is no excuse, there is no justification, there is nothing that would make this "OK"...

If these cops justified to themselves in using pepper spray on a handcuffed 9 year old, WTF kind of use of force do they justify on a teenager or an adult. There are few times in stories that hit national attention that we can see CLEARLY whats right and wrong. This is one of those few instances. This is one of those moments were we don't try to over analyze the situation because there is simply no other reasonable and humane conclusion. These cops should not wear a badge.

If the girl is a danger to herself and others she should be restrained. Also police officers aren’t trained to deal with these kind of scenarios. They apply these takedowns and personal controls on anyone regardless of age. The cops simply should not have been called in this volatile situation

You could argue the morality of it but that’s relative.

Reactions: *Nightwing

Sparhavoc

Sep 4, 2020
Cunts like you don't deserve the same oxygen other people breath, I do hope one day you reflect on the shit you spew and become a decent person, but fuck if that's ever going to happen.

A fucking 9 year old, A CHILD, but I guess being black makes her less human in your eyes.
What is with this race baiting post? At least the OP didn't make this about race. Some of the police in the USA are unpredictable and anyone regardless of their ethnicity is at risk of an officer that uses excessive force.

Marlenus

Jul 29, 2013
UK
If police officers cannot handle a handcuffed 9yr old they are terrible at their jobs and should no longer be officers. That their inability to deal with a situation led them to use pepper spray on said 9yr old is an extra layer of shit on a shit cake.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Nov 4, 2020
Cunts like you don't deserve the same oxygen other people breath, I do hope one day you reflect on the shit you spew and become a decent person, but fuck if that's ever going to happen.

A fucking 9 year old, A CHILD, but I guess being black makes her less human in your eyes.

you’re on the wrong forum to be spouting race baiting.

DESTROYA

Jan 1, 2011
USA
First mistake was putting this thread in the politics section when there is nothing political about this situation just bad decision being made by all parties.
What is with this race baiting post? At least the OP didn't make this about race. Some of the police in the USA are unpredictable and anyone regardless of their ethnicity is at risk of an officer that uses excessive force.
I didn’t even notice or care what race the kid was until someone brought it up so you have to wonder what the agenda is.

Reactions: Sparhavoc
Oct 26, 2018
Anyone know and want to give the Police Training for Dummies recap what kind of training a person has to do to be a cop?

It is all about fitness, take downs, guns and shit?

Or is there any kind of psychology, sociology, working with people in a more controlled way training? If so, is it like 5% of training, and the kick ass stuff above is 95%?

Vestal

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2007
Tampa FL
If the girl is a danger to herself and others she should be restrained. Also police officers aren’t trained to deal with these kind of scenarios. They apply these takedowns and personal controls on anyone regardless of age. The cops simply should not have been called in this volatile situation

You could argue the morality of it but that’s relative.
Its an argument of basic human decency.

Think about it.. If a 9 year old punches you, are you justified to punch him/her back? The answer is never yes.. Just like in this case, the answer to pepper spraying a handcuffed 9 year old is never yes. Its a boundary that should never be crossed. If they cross this boundary, how far would they be willing to go in other cases.

Sparhavoc

Sep 4, 2020
Its an argument of basic human decency.

Think about it.. If a 9 year old punches you, are you justified to punch him/her back? The answer is never yes.. Just like in this case, the answer to pepper spraying a handcuffed 9 year old is never yes. Its a boundary that should never be crossed. If they cross this boundary, how far would they be willing to go in other cases.
This is why despite being against the BLM protests I think the police need to be reformed. Too many times I've seen police use excessive force when they could have easily brought a mediator along with them to de-escalate the situation. Now, if excessive force is required in instances where there is a danger to life I am all for it. However, it should be judged accordingly and the police should not be getting emotional/reactive like they did in this video.

Reactions: Vestal

Batiman

Danger: male feminist
Feb 11, 2020
I don’t give a fuck how wild she was acting. She’s NINE YEARS OLD. Like how do you even see pepper spray as an option for a child. Embarrassing