• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

A 9-year-old girl was handcuffed and pepper sprayed by Rochester Police officers responding to a call of 'family trouble'

DeepBreath87

Jun 15, 2019
I mean Christ. You’d think the female cop shot the girl. I get that it was unnecessary. But good God you people are losing your minds. Maybe the cop should be fired. Maybe suspension and retraining. I don’t know. But everyone is okay. No one even had any injuries. The girl was made uncomfortable for a little while. Most likely unnecessarily. Should have been avoided. Some punishment could be appropriate for the police. But it would help to take the temperature down. Just a bit.

Last edited:

Vestal

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2007
Tampa FL
This is why despite being against the BLM protests I think the police need to be reformed. Too many times I've seen police use excessive force when they could have easily brought a mediator along with them to de-escalate the situation. Now, if excessive force is required in instances where there is a danger to life I am all for it. However, it should be judged accordingly and the police should not be getting emotional/reactive like they did in this video.
Not to derail the subject but I think in that case it would stop being excessive force and just become adequate force. Are you referring to more of the situations were there is question as to wether or not force was appropriately applied? Its a nuance in the general argument, but I like nuance every day and twice on Sundays :)

QuantumZebra

Dec 5, 2013
Atlanta, GA
If she was acting like a wild animal and not following simple orders what do you think was going to happen.
You dont know the whole story so how would you handle this if the kid was acting all crazy and not listening to simple commands ?
Would you rather have them put her in restraints? Either option is not a good look .
This is what happens when you tell kids all police are bad people .

This right here is all you need to know, if a child is threatening to kill herself and the MOM , kid gloves are off.
You need help.

She's a child. What the fuck.

---

On topic: this is a prime example of why police departments need to put funding into psychological evaluation and de-escalation training.

Spokker

May 31, 2011
She said she wanted to kill herself and her MOM , yeah lets give her a hug and it‘ll make everything magically better right?
There's a Daniel Tiger episode about this. Daniel is holding a knife to his mom's neck and they sing a song, "Let's not kill our parents today-ay-ay!" And he calms down.

Good episode for kids and families to learn from.

Hari Seldon

Dec 5, 2008
I mean it is not like the cops wanted to do this. You could hear the "fuck this world" sigh from the cop in the video posted in the OP. I still don't understand why anyone would call the cops for a 9 year old having a hormone breakdown. They are basically demons and have no ability to reason. Calling literally anyone other than a cop would be a better idea.

clem84

Dec 11, 2011
Up until the moment when they maced her, I thought they were doing a pretty solid job. She was unruly and completely out of control but she was also cuffed when they did this, she was no longer a danger to herself or others. I think it was a mistake to mace her. There were multiple officers there. They could have physically forced her into the car, close the doors and just let her have her tantrum.

I don't think this is the big deal some are making it out to be. She's fine. They were just a little rough on her. The officer responsible should be reprimanded. There's no ground to fire him.

QuantumZebra

Dec 5, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Go cry to mommy snowflake

best gif wow GIF

do better

Reactions: Guilhermegrg

*Nightwing

Sep 24, 2014
Nope
I think this event perfectly encapsulates the state of how fucked up and distorted our communities have become:
  • Family with no recourse nor ability nor help to raise a child that possibly is having mental issues ends up so distraught they reach out to the police for help
  • Police are out of their element as they are law enforcement not social workers and do what their position is made for which is to ultimately use force for compliance
  • Frustrations grow for all parties involved family, girl and police because everyone is out of their element dealing with a situation they are not capable of resolving with their current skillset boiling over
  • Everyone outraged at the power keg explosion that was a result, and with reason, but no action to try and help family’s cope more (what happed to it takes a village to raise a child?) nor question why we expect police to be jack of all trades and manage social work on top of security and instead look to punish the officers that are set up for failure at the start
If the underlying problems aren’t fixed and we continue to throw the shit society doesn’t want to pay to deal with at cops to manage and deal with, do we really have any right to complain about the results? And in case you are wondering, no it isn’t gonna get better and no amount of training is going to help any cop be both authoritative to maintain security and empathetic to resolve social issues. It’s asking someone to be 2 diametrically opposed things simultaneously.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Nov 13, 2013
If it went down like reported, which I always highly question because no one in the media reports on the police honestly anymore, then that isn't good. You don't pepper spray a 9 year old.

The "police brutality tracker" tweet is agenda-driven, however, and makes the mistake many do is conflating an isolated incident to "the state of police in this country."

The state of police in America is that it's the best it has ever been. Flawed, but far less brutality than there has been.

Reactions: clem84
Jun 10, 2018
I watch the whole body cam footage put out by the Rochester PD and spraying the girl was out of line. She was throwing a fit sure, but she needed to let her blow off the steam and talk to someone. Her mother fully deserved the spray she got instead. Her mother caused the whole situation to escalate to this. I hope this girl can get help and away from her mom, if this is an indication of her home life.

The 10-minute footage

Last edited:

Xenon

When a parent in the current State we are in calls the police because her daughter is threatening her life, it has to be taken seriously. Sadly these cops would be held responsible for anything happened during the course of subduing a nine-year-old child. No matter what everybody clutching their pearls says, the parent of this child is the one who called the police and told them that she believed that there was a threat to her life.

Seening the mayor equate this with her own daughter comes off extremely disingenuous. Because that's who she's thinking of when she sees with the police handling of the situation. That's what most people would think. Unfortunately this is not her or their kid. The mother called the police into the situation and the dispatchers had to do dispatch police because of the severity of threat.

I would normally not condone the use of pepper spray on a child. However, for the lack of other tools this is all the police had to use. The longer she fought with them the greater chance she would have a more serious injury. They can decide to take that away from police in the case of younger children but that would leave them with the choice of Greater physicality by officers or harsher methods.

Last edited:
  • Praise the Sun
Reactions: DESTROYA

sircaw

has bigger MS points balance than reaction score.
Jul 3, 2019
A local pond.
i don't know what happened in the house but do you really need that many cops there, for that little girl.

And, i don't get it, why spray her, surely they can just overpower her and lock her in the back.

there are like 5-6 cops there.

desertdroog

Aug 12, 2008
The parent couldn't handle her own kid so she called in the state to help deal with her child's issue.

What do you expect? The failure isn't just on the Police.

QSD

Nov 8, 2020
Amsterdam
www.quixoticsounddesign.com
If she was really a 10,000 year old demon, they did not go far enough.
You are a heartless brute. They're barely out of the diapers at that age.

Other than that, in this thread we find (once again) that police are no good as social workers and should preferentially not be deployed to 'family disturbances'
I legit pity anyone who's job it is to intervene in these kind of domestic disturbances, even if you do your very best you'll still barely do any good at all in most cases and your actions will be scrutinized to an insane degree.

IFireflyl

Aug 22, 2020
If she wasn't shot then I'd say the police are improving their responses. We should treat this as a win.

OrtizTwelve

Aug 11, 2020
USA
What a piss poor state of affairs policing is in the US. And cops wonder why they’re hated by the public.

Its a 9 year old child, that’s already handcuffed it appears. What’s the point in pepper spraying a 9 year old child? She’s 9 years old...

Oct 26, 2018
What a piss poor state of affairs policing is in the US. And cops wonder why they’re hated by the public.

Its a 9 year old child, that’s already handcuffed it appears. What’s the point in pepper spraying a 9 year old child? She’s 9 years old...
Power in numbers.

When someone is surrounded and outnumbered by cops, they act like tough shit. During BLM when masses of people charged down the street, I don't remember too many legions of cops taking them on like a giant gang fight. They run for the hills even with battle gear.

QSD

Nov 8, 2020
Amsterdam
Power in numbers.

When someone is surrounded and outnumbered by cops, they act like tough shit. During BLM when masses of people charged down the street, I don't remember too many legions of cops taking them on like a giant gang fight. They run for the hills even with battle gear.
Actually it's pretty hard work running up hill in battle gear

Last edited:

DeepBreath87

Jun 15, 2019
Power in numbers.

The police are not the army. They aren’t going to battle. Crowd control is almost impossible without military involvement. Overwhelming numbers are important because without them, you have to use more individual force to control someone. Like if we are the same size, and you come running at me, I might have to shoot you to get you to stop. I can’t risk you get my gun away from me. But if there are 5 of us, no guns should be necessary.

Last edited:

clem84

Dec 11, 2011
I love it when they say "This is the state of police brutality in our country". These people see something bad on video and then they stop thinking. They (purposely) forget that 99% of officers in this country are doing an excellent job every day, but also that they're human beings and that mistakes will happen. You only see videos of the "mistakes", not of the hundreds of millions of other police interactions that go smoothly.

Reactions: DeepBreath87

Greedings

May 23, 2016
Genuine question:
How do you muster to energy to care?
It looks bad, but I just could not give less of a shit. Can’t care about every time someone does something wrong.

• Strength
Reactions: DeepBreath87

QSD

Nov 8, 2020
Amsterdam
I love it when they say "This is the state of police brutality in our country". These people see something bad on video and then they stop thinking. They (purposely) forget that 99% of officers in this country are doing an excellent job every day, but also that they're human beings and that mistakes will happen. You only see videos of the "mistakes", not of the hundreds of millions of other police interactions that go smoothly.
The police are subject to an INSANE degree of scrutiny, and rightfully so, but then you send them to some shitshow domestic disturbance where there's no possible good resolution to begin with. Some chick is pelting her boyfriend with china because he spent all the covid relief money on fishing rods... and what are the police supposed to do about it? They'll just get pelted with china and fishing rods if they're not careful. In most cases it's an utterly thankless task where you can only fail, never succeed.

Reactions: clem84

ipukespiders

Oct 9, 2006
SHE IS A CHILD GENIUS. THERE ARE ALSO 5+ COPS THERE. YOU JUST LIFT HER LEGS INTO THE FUCKING CAR. YOU DON'T PEPPER SPRAY HER WHILE SHE CRIES FOR HER DAD.

SHE

IS

NINE

YEARS

OLD

Holy almighty shit you guys are either supremely stupid or just outright trolling at this point.

Do you need a hug?

Burnttips

Mar 27, 2019
I have a 9 year old daughter. You don’t see much in the video. If my daughter was so out of control and wasn’t obeying officers orders than mace her. In the video she is halfway in the car and you’d think they could toss her in. By seeing the video I don’t get the whole picture.

DeepBreath87

Jun 15, 2019
I have a 9 year old daughter. You don’t see much in the video. If my daughter was so out of control and wasn’t obeying officers orders than mace her. In the video she is halfway in the car and you’d think they could toss her in. By seeing the video I don’t get the whole picture.
Well according to a bunch of people at the beginning of this thread, you’re now an idiot, a police apologist, and probably a racist. That’s what asking questions gets you these days.

Last edited:
Reactions: clem84 and DESTROYA

Burnttips

Mar 27, 2019
Christ, I can't imagine some of you raising children. Probably child abusers if you can't find a way of restraining a 9 year old little girl without resorting to violence. I have a pretty unruly 10 year old nephew who gets physical, but he's fucking 10 years old. Not exactly hard to restrain a small child, especially if you have handcuffs and a secure vehicle to place them in.
He gets physical. Sounds like a bastard. Could be bad parenting. Children shouldn’t hit. Bully Alert!

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
Dont be a idiot, I was not condoning the cops actions or child abuse.
But great job avoiding the question I asked twice already but I guess someone as disingenuous as you does that because you have no answers.
Dont give a fuck and hate me all you want , you posted a thread and didn’t get the reaction you wanted to see because all you see is one side .
Should have they of sprayed her with mace , absolutely not
Its obvious she was having some sort of mental issue and probably would of been best to have a ambulance called .
She kicked and screamed at the cops while threatening to kill herself and her mom and didnt comply with orders basically resisting arrest.

You're frakking stupid! Nobody_Important Nobody_Important Actually answered your question... How he would have handled it is letting her scream and kick in the cop car. She's A FRAKKING CHILD! 9 FRAKKING YEARS OLD! She's not going to do any damage! Let her calm down. She was already handcuffed. Who was she going to kill while handcuffed, praytell?

I'm a parent... My daughter has had a fit like that... Her mom and I let her scream and kick and she eventually calmed down. The frak is wrong with you?

Kid gloves off, my arse!

• Fire
Reactions: Nobody_Important

quickwhips

Jan 26, 2009
Delaware
lets cut through the bullshit. If you can't handle your 9 year old then you probably shouldn't have had kids. When you call cops and they are taking your kid away its not going to be the kid walking out of house. Because if that was true you wouldn't have called the cops. They let their kid get like this then we throw outrage at cops instead of the parents? Personal responsibilities. This is fixed by better parenting and better communities but not by saying cops sucks at their job. We should be saying parents suck at their job.

FYI i'm not sure why the cops were called. If it some nonsense and this is a trap let me know with some lols.

Last edited:

Halo is Dead

May 20, 2018
This is ridiculous. The kid was already in handcuffs and in the car. Some big "tough" men there using pepper spray on a child SMH!

If this is a suicide Issue call a damn ambulance or child services. Not the damn cops!

Last edited:
Reactions: DeafTourette

DESTROYA

Jan 1, 2011
USA
You're frakking stupid! Nobody_Important Nobody_Important Actually answered your question... How he would have handled it is letting her scream and kick in the cop car. She's A FRAKKING CHILD! 9 FRAKKING YEARS OLD! She's not going to do any damage! Let her calm down. She was already handcuffed. Who was she going to kill while handcuffed, praytell?

I'm a parent... My daughter has had a fit like that... Her mom and I let her scream and kick and she eventually calmed down. The frak is wrong with you?

Kid gloves off, my arse!
Your 9 year old said she was suicidal and wanted to kill your wife ?

j0hnnix

Mar 15, 2014
Popeyes chicken
face punch GIF

Honestly, Pepper spray was unnecessary, cops being called was unnecessary(they are not their to parent) the parents are the culprit in not knowing how to discipline their child. my son only needs a change in the tone of my voice to know I'm not happy.

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
I wish all these posters gave a shit in previous threads where children died.

I wonder what's the difference 🤔

• Fire

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
I wish all these posters gave a shit in previous threads where children died.

I wonder what's the difference 🤔

I can only speak for myself. I always care about any child dying... But I don't see every dang thread posted and I don't enter every thread. I'm a parent ... I can't take all the bad news regarding kids. This is the first one I've been in in a while.

DESTROYA

Jan 1, 2011
USA
No... Just throwing a tantrum... Stomping and screaming that we weren't being fair. And she wasn't 9... 5, I think.
Sort of a big difference and don’t think I ever said it was OK what the cops did, I clarified my stance in other posts.
This is part of the article if you haven’t read it

The officers were told the girl was "suicidal" and that she had "indicated that she wanted to kill herself and she wanted to kill her mom," the deputy chief explained.
The girl tried to flee from officers, Anderson said, and video released by police shows an officer chase her and attempt to provide assistance.
Afterward, he said, her mother arrived and the body camera video shows the two arguing. Anderson said officers then decided to remove the child from the situation and transport her to an area hospital.
But the girl refused to get inside a police vehicle, "thrashed around," and kicked an officer, knocking his body camera around, according to Anderson.

BadBurger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2019
I mean Christ. You’d think the female cop shot the girl. I get that it was unnecessary. But good God you people are losing your minds. Maybe the cop should be fired. Maybe suspension and retraining. I don’t know. But everyone is okay. No one even had any injuries. The girl was made uncomfortable for a little while. Most likely unnecessarily. Should have been avoided. Some punishment could be appropriate for the police. But it would help to take the temperature down. Just a bit.

They pepper sprayed a handcuffed nine year old girl. If that doesn't make you angry then I don't know what will. This is shameful.

RoboFu

Oct 10, 2017
That's a good point--where are the parents of the police in all of this?

I live in Rochester.

Basically the kid was out in 14 degree weather talking about killing her parents and herself because of a bad situation at home.
The police officer didn’t want to leave her there but didn’t have back up and made a very poor decision after the mother came and the kid freaked out.

any video you see on the news is edited to make the officer look as bad as possible and doesn’t show the mother escalating the situation.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Maiden Voyage

DeepBreath87

Jun 15, 2019
They pepper sprayed a handcuffed nine year old girl. If that doesn't make you angry then I don't know what will. This is shameful.
Its not great. They could’ve done better. But again, no one was really injured. The girl was made uncomfortable for a relatively short period of time. That’s what pepper spray does. It should have been avoided. But bad shit happens all the time. As I said, on the scale of terrible shit that happens every day, this isn’t high on the list.

It’s a learning experience for other police. Maybe some punishment needs to be administered. But I’m not going to lose my mind about it.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Nov 30, 2012
If she was acting like a wild animal and not following simple orders what do you think was going to happen.
You dont know the whole story so how would you handle this if the kid was acting all crazy and not listening to simple commands ?
Would you rather have them put her in restraints? Either option is not a good look .
This is what happens when you tell kids all police are bad people .
Listen to yourself.

Girl is already detained and handcuffed. Let alone she is 9 years old, so can be easily overpowered by practically anyone with a pulse.

BadBurger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2019
Its not great. They could’ve done better. But again, no one was really injured. The girl was made uncomfortable for a relatively short period of time. That’s what pepper spray does. It should have been avoided. But bad shit happens all the time. As I said, on the scale of terrible shit that happens every day, this isn’t high on the list.

It’s a learning experience for other police. Maybe some punishment needs to be administered. But I’m not going to lose my mind about it.

Have you ever been pepper sprayed? It hurts a lot. People have lost sight from being pepper sprayed. And this little child was helpless. These cops should go to jail.

nkarafo

Nov 30, 2012
Damn, i just read most of the thread.

It's crazy to me how quite a few adults in here feel threatened enough by a handcuffed little girl so they justify pepper spaying her in the face.... While she is fucking handcuffed already and pose no threat.... Whatever threat a 9 year old girl would pose to a bunch of adult men.

Last edited:

DeepBreath87

Jun 15, 2019
Have you ever been pepper sprayed? It hurts a lot. People have lost sight from being pepper sprayed. And this little child was helpless. These cops should go to jail.
Wow. Well I don’t think so. I’m more inclined towards things like suspensions and increased training. That’s all right though. I’ve experienced pepper spray it sucks, but it’s not the end of the world either. It’s something that should’ve been avoided. But it was temporary discomfort.

I think people enjoy being outraged on the internet. But this is a local matter from an isolated incident that should’ve been handled differently. The end result is that no one was injured and hopefully this girl will get some psychiatric help. I just think people should temper their outrage. Worse things happen every day in every city in the country. This is a hot button issue. But let’s try to keep things in perspective.

• Praise the Sun

93xfan

Feb 23, 2013
This is truly terrible. In the video, there is simply no reason for this at all.

This officer needs to be fired and possibly face prison time.

I like cops in general, but I will always call out indefensible behavior

Men_in_Boxes

May 31, 2020
Rochester mayor suspended the Police officers.

Interesting to note, yesterday in STL a white security guard got murdered by a black dude while responding to a disturbance.

Anyway, about the mace....

Last edited: