• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Bayonetta Pachislot game is in the works #BasedSega

Koren

Do people not understand that these companies have different divisions? And that Sega's pachislot shit has been in existence since, well, before they made video games?
In Konami case, it seems that they intend to develop their pachinko division, and restrict a lot their games on consoles. It's even clearly said in the latest financial report. Yes, there's different divisions, but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people were moved from the video game division to work in the mobile or pachinko one.

Have you seen the new cat's eye anime?
There's a Cats' eye Pachislot developped recently?

Do people not understand that these companies have different divisions? And that Sega's pachislot shit has been in existence since, well, before they made video games?

Well actually I think that was Sammy's thing before the merger, but yea, there is like several different companies under SEGA-Sammy...including TMS Entertainment.

In Konami case, it seems that they intend to develop their pachinko division, and restrict a lot their games on consoles. It's even clearly said in the latest financial report. Yes, there's different divisions, but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people were moved from the video game division to work in the mobile or pachinko one.

There's a Cats' eye Pachislot developped recently?

Konami is shit, so I understand the issue with them. But not Sega, nor many companies who've been doing this for a while.

Well actually I think that was Sammy's thing before the merger, but yea, there is like several different companies under SEGA-Sammy...including TMS Entertainment.

Ahh, that makes more sense.

MUnited83

For you.
I mean, while I don't think it's a reason to worry at all(they've been on this business longer than on videogames), it's a weird people bring up Bayonetta 2 as a counter-argument. I mean, the only thing SEGA had to do with it was "oh, yeah, you can totally use our IP. We ain't funding shit tho!", same situation as Shenmue 3. Hell, even with the Shenmue 3 hype there's no sign of them greenlighting the Shenmue HD collection that are supposedly 99% done.
Shit, even for Yakuza 5 localization. It exists purely because of Sony.

Couple it with less and less console release and more and more a shift to mobile (with many games that won't ever go to the west) , it's a worrying trend. They also continously sit on a huge pile of great IPs without doing anything with them.

If it wasn't for their PC side and Atlus, i'd say they were in a pretty terrible shape.

Krejlooc

Banned
Well actually I think that was Sammy's thing before the merger

Sega has been making coin-operated electromechanical arcade games for 74 years now. Their first products were pinball tables, and then they moved on to all sorts of coin-ops. They made pachinko tables before they had ever touched a video screen.

Here is a straight-up slot machine from Sega from 1950, featuring their original logo:

PqEPRNq.jpg

This is one of Sega's best pre-video games, Moto Champ:

pqVqI5O.jpg

footage of it in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhO02gQEu-k

Xerotwo

Oh dear... Kamina will have a field day with this....

But seriously this trend is looking kinda badif all efforts are only for pachinko games.

SephLuis

In a perfect world, this would help fund Bayonetta 3.

I am not even mad, since Platinum has been in good shape and I still believe they can do more Bayonetta for consoles.

Game Guru

I mean, while I don't think it's a reason to worry at all(they've been on this business longer than on videogames), it's a weird people bring up Bayonetta 2 as a counter-argument. I mean, the only thing SEGA had to do with it was "oh, yeah, you can totally use our IP. We ain't funding shit tho!", same situation as Shenmue 3. Hell, even with the Shenmue 3 hype there's no sign of them greenlighting the Shenmue HD collection that are supposedly 99% done.
Shit, even for Yakuza 5 localization. It exists purely because of Sony.

Couple it with less and less console release and more and more a shift to mobile (with many games that won't ever go to the west) , it's a worrying trend. They also continously sit on a huge pile of great IPs without doing anything with them.

If it wasn't for their PC side and Atlus, i'd say they were in a pretty terrible shape.

To be fair, outside of Nintendo, Bandai Namco, Square Enix, and Koei Tecmo, it seems like every major Japanese developer is in a pretty bad situation as far as traditional console gaming goes. Certainly, Capcom, Sega, and Konami are... But you actually get the feeling that Capcom and Sega are actually still trying while Konami looks to have given up with MGS5 being their swan song.

Decider

I've wanted a pachislot since I saw the Metal Slug one. I grew up in a house full of jukeboxes and wallboxes, so it wouldn't feel at all out of place to me. A ridiculously OTT Bayo one would be perfect.

It will most likely be better than the actual games

I'll fight you.

Crocodile

To be fair, outside of Nintendo, Bandai Namco, Square Enix, and Koei Tecmo, it seems like every major Japanese developer is in a pretty bad situation as far as traditional console gaming goes. Certainly, Capcom, Sega, and Konami are... But you actually get the feeling that Capcom and Sega are actually still trying while Konami looks to have given up with MGS5 being their swan song.

I mean its not like its a new thing (these fusions took place years ago) or anything but I feel its kind of telling that these three companies represent the merger of multiple old companies. Even Sega bought out Atlus (and I can't remember if Sammy bought out Sega or Sega bought out Sammy or if it was a mutual fusion).

Sega has been making coin-operated electromechanical arcade games for 74 years now. Their first products were pinball tables, and then they moved on to all sorts of coin-ops. They made pachinko tables before they had ever touched a video screen.

Here is a straight-up slot machine from Sega from 1950, featuring their original logo:

This is one of Sega's best pre-video games, Moto Champ:

footage of it in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhO02gQEu-k

Ah, I was mistaken, I knew of the early electromechanical games (like Periscope), just not the Pachinko stuff. Or may be I did read up about it and it slipped my mind, hahaha.

Game Guru

I mean its not like its a new thing (these fusions took place years ago) or anything but I feel its kind of telling that these three companies represent the merger of multiple old companies. Even Sega bought out Atlus (and I can't remember if Sammy bought out Sega or Sega bought out Sammy or if it was a mutual fusion).

If you are going to use that, it should be noted only Nintendo and Capcom remain unmerged with another publisher as far as I know... After all, Konami bought Hudson even. It's not really a measure of success or failure to have multiple companies merge or one company buying another. That's just what large companies do. It should be noted that Bandai Namco, Sega Sammy, Square Enix, and Konami have many other business outside of traditional console gaming. Sega Sammy and Konami has even seen success outside traditional console games.

Top Bottom