A California mosque was set ablaze in ‘clear homage’ to the New Zealand terrorist attack

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
The Muslim community in Escondido, Calif., gathered a week ago for an interfaith prayer vigil, insisting that a distance of nearly 7,000 miles did not ease the pain they felt for the 50 victims of a pair of mosque shootings in Christchurch, New Zealand.

They assembled again on Sunday evening, uttering prayers that echoed like a grim refrain. This time, they turned their attention to one of their own mosques, whose walls had been blackened in an apparent act of arson announcing its intentions with graffiti citing the March 15 attack in New Zealand.

With rapid velocity, the violence visited on the Pacific island nation appears to have traversed the globe, choosing as one of its first American targets an unassuming, beige-colored place of Islamic worship, flanked by palm trees.

“I never could have expected that this would happen here, two blocks from my house,” Yusef Miller, the point person for interfaith initiatives and a board member at the Islamic Society of North County, said in an interview with The Washington Post. “The connection was chilling. It was a clear homage to what happened in New Zealand.”

In the wee hours of Sunday, seven people were inside the Dar-ul-Arqam mosque in Escondido, about 30 miles north of downtown San Diego, when someone outside tried to set the building ablaze, according to city police. No one was injured in the fire, which marred the exterior of the mosque. The worshipers who had been inside were able to snuff out the flames with a fire extinguisher.

A 911 call brought police and fire services to the scene, as authorities judged the incident to be an act of arson. An accelerant had been used to stimulate the flames, the San Diego Union-Tribune reported. Police said they were investigating the act as a hate crime.

“Graffiti left behind by the suspect made reference to the shooting incident in New Zealand,” Chris Lick, a police spokesman, said in a news release.

The FBI and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives are assisting city and county officials with their probe. No suspects have been identified.

Authorities didn’t shed further light on the words spray-painted on the building’s exterior. Muslim leaders said they remained in the dark about the precise language, as police feared that disclosing the exact message might jeopardize an ongoing investigation.

“I gather that it referred to New Zealand and to the shooter specifically,” Miller said.

By the time he took his 11- and 12-year-old sons to see the damage for themselves, the language had been removed.

“I wanted to give them a dose of reality,” said Miller, 50.

The interfaith prayer and security vigil that took place on Sunday evening drew several hundred people to a street corner near the mosque.

People of “every faith” were present, said Nehal Hasan, a member of the local Muslim community who came to the United States from India in 2007. Muslims were San Diego County’s fastest-growing religious demographic between 2000 and 2010, according to census data. In the northern part of the county, where Escondido is located, three mosques serve the Muslim population, which members say is less active than in bigger cities.

“My perception is that this country is the most beautiful place on the Earth,” Hasan said. “If people commit these kinds of acts, we have to show that something good can come of it.”

Still, he sees cause for alarm in the nation that welcomed him more than a decade ago. Hate crimes targeting American Muslims rose by 15 percent in 2017, according to a report released last year by the Council on American-Islamic Relations.

The uptick in anti-Muslim incidents in 2017 came after the previous year had already earned disrepute as “the worst year on record for incidents in which mosques were targets of bias,” according to CAIR. The organization documented 139 instances of damage, destruction or vandalism in 2016 — the highest figure since it began keeping count in 2009. Mosques from Austin to Bellevue, Wash., came under attack.

Miller said he expected anti-Muslim animus to flare following the attack in New Zealand, but not in his own backyard — “some larger city, maybe, with a larger and more active Muslim population.” He said the fire in Escondido was the first attack to come to his attention in the U.S. that expressly drew from the events in Christchurch.

In Britain, watchdog organizations have already observed a sharp rise in anti-Muslim hate crimes since the attack, with numerous episodes referring specifically to the rampage that left dozens dead when Friday prayers turned into a site of slaughter. According to the Guardian, a monitoring group called Tell Mama became aware of 95 incidents between March 15 and March 21. Of those cases, 85 included explicit references to the Christchurch massacre, the deadliest in New Zealand’s modern history. In one especially violent outburst, which police said they were investigating as far-right terrorism, a 50-year-old man was charged with attempted murder after shouting racist comments as he stabbed a teenager on the day after the mass shooting.

It’s clear from the public platform sought by the alleged perpetrator that he intended to inspire copycat attacks — a point acknowledged by New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern when she promised to deny him “notoriety” by refusing even to speak his name.

The acts apparently influenced by the Christchurch shooter’s crusade may not be as deadly as those he is accused of carrying out on March 15; the methods might not be as technologically advanced. But the oxygen he breathed into anti-Muslim hatred has already been felt across continents, prompting new vows from religious minorities that they will not be cowed.

“The purpose of this kind of act is to create fear so you don’t go to your place of worship,” Mohammad Molla, a member of the Escondido-based Islamic Society of North County, said in an interview with The Post.

He confessed to having macabre thoughts when he picked up his 7-year-old daughter from school on Friday and brought her to mosque for afternoon prayers, glancing anxiously at their possible escape routes.

“But you can’t live in fear,” he said. “If you do, the terrorists have won.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/03/25/california-mosque-was-set-ablaze-clear-homage-terrorist-attack-new-zealand/?utm_term=.363419b3fbe7

Hopefully they are able to catch the suspect before they can cause anymore damage. Also glad that nobody was seriously injured in the attempt. I also love the quote at the end of the article. The man truly gets what right wing terrorists are trying to accomplish with these types of incidents and despite his apprehensions and fears he isn't letting it rule his life.

EDIT: Since the source of the article is apparently an issue for some people here are other options

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/mar/25/us-mosque-fire-graffiti-new-zealand-shooting

https://www.abc15.com/national/pd-arsonist-who-burned-california-mosque-referred-to-new-zealand-attack-in-graffiti

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/alleged-arson-california-mosque-mentioned-new-zealand-attack-n986786

https://abcnews.go.com/US/arsonist-burned-california-mosque-referred-zealand-attack-graffiti/story?id=61919931

https://www.thedailybeast.com/new-zealand-shootings-arson-suspect-at-california-mosque-left-graffiti-about-attacks

https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-zealand-attack-note-left-at-fire-at-california-mosque

Last edited:

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/03/25/california-mosque-was-set-ablaze-clear-homage-terrorist-attack-new-zealand/?utm_term=.363419b3fbe7

Hopefully they are able to catch the suspect before they can cause anymore damage. Also glad that nobody was seriously injured in the attempted attack. I also love the quote at the end of the article. The man truly gets what right wing terrorists are trying to accomplish with these types of incidents and despite his apprehensions and fears he isn't letting it rule his life.
Is this another instance of "the narrative has already been established?" from your perspective?
Lets wait for the facts first before we start smearing the "evil right wingers".

Didn't you say just weeks ago that you would start to wait for more facts before forming an opinion? Or it is already established fact that right wingers are evil and behind this so no need to wait this time? Is that it? That approach is already down the toilet?

I hope they can catch the people responsible and put them in jail for a long time. I would hesitate to make my cock so hard it can cut diamond and use it as a weapon on the other side for now.
I will wait a little while before I do that. Until more facts come out.
Maybe you should do too. Considering your behaviour in the previous "scandals" just this year.

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
Is this another instance of "the narrative has already been established?" from your perspective?
Lets wait for the facts first before we start smearing the "evil right wingers".

Didn't you say just weeks ago that you would start to wait for more facts before forming an opinion? Or it is already established fact that right wingers are evil and behind this so no need to wait this time? Is that it? That approach is already down the toilet?
I am basing this opinion on the facts. The facts at the moment are that the police are calling this a hate crime and there is graffiti at the scene that clearly references The New Zealand attack which was carried out by a.......oh right. A right wing terrorist.

If I turn out to be wrong then obviously that opinion will change, but I am hardly going off of no information here.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Goodness, I'm glad that no one was injured in the attack. Sounds like the fire was small enough to be extinguished by the occupants of the building.

I hope the California gov't's treatment of the situation isn't also a clear homage to the NZ government's reaction, but it seems they're already moving in that direction:

Authorities didn’t shed further light on the words spray-painted on the building’s exterior. Muslim leaders said they remained in the dark about the precise language, as police feared that disclosing the exact message might jeopardize an ongoing investigation.
Hope they can investigate the culprit and determine motive, and then release the details to the public.

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
I am basing this opinion on the facts. The facts at the moment are that the police are calling this a hate crime and there is graffiti at the scene that clearly references The New Zealand attack which was carried out by a.......oh right. A right wing terrorist.
The cops called the Jussie hoax a hate crime too and you couldn't even wait 2 minutes before you started blasting all the evil right wing maga people for it.
Give me a fucking break.

You are basing it on the same facts you used to call the Covington teenagers racist? And the same facts you used to call all trump voters racist in the Jussie shitshow?
As soon as there is a shitshow you are usually the first to jump in and use it as a weapon.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
The cops called the Jussie hoax a hate crime too and you couldn't even wait 2 minutes before you started blasting all the evil right wing maga people for it.
Give me a fucking break.
Someone tried to burn down a house of worship with innocent people still inside while apparently leaving behind graffiti that directly referenced a right wing terrorist attack.

This is not the same this as the Jussie Smollett debacle. I made the mistake of going off of very little evidence in that case and thats on me, but here it seems to be pretty obvious what happened. If the police are wrong then yeah thats on them for releasing bad information to the public.

You are basing it on the same facts you used to call the Covington teenagers racist? And the same facts you used to call all trump voters racist in the Jussie shitshow?
As soon as there is a shitshow you are usually the first to jump in and use it as a weapon.
Oh give me a fucking break. That is such hypocritical bullshit. The entire front page is littered with "shitshows" that are being used to try and prove various points or agendas from different viewpoints and narratives. Pretending like I am the only one that posts articles like this is straight up dishonest.

Last edited:

Schrödinger's cat

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2011
Required reading by you at this early point in time of this episode:
https://twitter.com/search?l=&q=#hatehoax from:MrAndyNgo&src=typd

If I turn out to be wrong then obviously that opinion will change, but I am hardly going off of no information here.
The existence of this thread, your reference to 'right wing terrorists' in your OP, and your stance so far shows how dishonest your posturing is.

#alreadyestablishednarrative
#believeevidence

Last edited:

MisterFalcon

Mar 12, 2013
This writer sure goes all out in writing style:

uttering prayers that echoed like a grim refrain
the violence visited on the Pacific island nation appears to have traversed the globe
the oxygen he breathed into anti-Muslim hatred

Can anyone with access to the Washington Post look for similar articles on the arson attack on the St. Sulpice church in Paris ?

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Oh give me a fucking break. That is such hypocritical bullshit. The entire front page is littered with "shitshows" that are being used to try and prove various points or agendas from different viewpoints and narratives. Pretending like I am the only one that posts articles like this is straight up dishonest.
I will give you a break when you apologize to the Covington kids for the things you said and implied. And when you apologize to all the conservatives you called really bad names in the Jussie case.
You never apologize for these things and the really vile things you call other people.
It is always "situation is more complex than initially reported" or other bs cop out.

Do you understand why almost everyone treats ANY thread you create with enormous skepticism?
You have a pattern where anything, any news is posted and you immediately, when news break weaponize it and bash your opponents.
Then when the narrative turns and more facts come out, you are always really busy at work so you can not respond or apologize.

It happens over and over so many times it is a not even funny.

This time, for f sake, wait 2 days for more facts before you make absolute statements.

EDIT: maybe you are right this time? It is possible. Even a broken clock is right sometimes. But for the f love of god, stop this bs where you immediately jump the gun and immediately use whatever breaking news to demonize your opponents. It makes you look, not good.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
I will give you a break when you apologize to the Covington kids for the things you said and implied. And when you apologize to all the conservatives you called really bad names in the Jussie case.
I already admitted that my initial reaction to the Covington incident was incorrect multiple times. And I already admitted I was wrong about the Smollett incident multiple times as well. Not sure what else you expect unless you are literally expecting an an apology. If you are then I am sincerely sorry for making a mistake based on the bad information that was given to me.

FullTilt18

Banned
Feb 16, 2019
Why do you keep calling the dude from NZ a "right wing terrorist," fake news OP? He was a communist. That's not right wing. And how about a ban bet? If it comes out that it was a muslim, or some other person on your side of the political spectrum who wanted to "start a conversation," you leave and never come back?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
I call him a right wing terrorist because he is a right wing terrorist and I am hardly the first person to do so.
Why are you drawing so many conclusions?

No suspect in custody, so we have no knowledge about the person's gender.
No interrogation of any suspects, so we have no knowledge about the person's ideology.
No release of the actual words graffiti'd on the wall, so we have no knowledge of how strongly it associates with the NZ tragedy.

All these things may end up being true, but since we don't know yet, you are making baseless assumptions. If you have further links to verify the things that I mentioned above, please contribute to your own news thread and let the rest of us read it.

Considering you're using Washington Post as your source, a news organization that was recently shown to be a fraud over their coverage of the Russiagate conspiracy, it's completely fair that people ask you for more information. You've posted a news story yet you can't even back up your own assertions using facts.

Yoshi

Gold Member
May 4, 2005
Germany
www.gaming-universe.de
OK, I do not want to end up in the difficult position @Nobody_Important seems to have maneuvered himself into here, so I will say the following: It is saddening to hear that the police allegedly reports a dispicible alleged hate crime in form of allegedly setting fire and allegedly spraying allegedly hateful and allegedly clearly right-wing statements that were not specifically released allegedly to not jeopardise the allegedly ongoing investigation of the potential culprit for the alleged act. At least we can all get behind identifying the clearly lying mainstream media for maliciously inventing accusations towards Trump in the Russia affair. It would be pretty annoying to have to be careful with the choice of words in that blatant act of treason.

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
Why are you drawing so many conclusions?
I think you misunderstood my post. I was talking about the New Zealand terrorist in that post not the person who set fire to the Mosque in California. Though I am assuming they are based on the limited information that the Police have given out. That could obviously change as the police learn more though.

Last edited:

Schrödinger's cat

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2011
OK, I do not want to end up in the difficult position @Nobody_Important seems to have maneuvered himself into here, so I will say the following: It is saddening to hear that the police allegedly reports a dispicible alleged hate crime in form of allegedly setting fire and allegedly spraying allegedly hateful and allegedly clearly right-wing statements that were not specifically released allegedly to not jeopardise the allegedly ongoing investigation of the potential culprit for the alleged act. At least we can all get behind identifying the clearly lying mainstream media for maliciously inventing accusations towards Trump in the Russia affair. It would be pretty annoying to have to be careful with the choice of words in that blatant act of treason.
Your laughably arduous comment isn't sending the message you think it is.

If you're a civil, mature person, capable of critical thinking, then it's really not very difficult to avoid jumping to conclusions.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
I think you misunderstood my post. I was talking about the New Zealand terrorist in that post not the person who set fire to the Mosque in California. Though I am assuming they are based on the limited information that the Police have given out. That could obviously change as the police learn more though.
Their political affiliation is in question. That is why people are disagreeing with you calling the NZ attacker a "right wing terrorist". Are you unaware of the ongoing conversation about the NZ terrorist's motives? Understandable, since their country is censoring everything.

My points stand:

We have no suspect.
We have no interview of the suspect(s).
We have no indication that it was a hate crime because we don't have motive.
We have no photographs or transcript of what the 'clear homage' said. Not even the victims have that info, based on your article.

But we do have an article from a fraudulent news organization.

Yoshi

Gold Member
May 4, 2005
Germany
www.gaming-universe.de
Communism isn't right wing, stupid ass. And if other people jumped off a bridge, would you (please say yes)?
Communism! You heard it here first. "White genocide", "the great replacement", typical phrases from Karl Marx' "The Capital".

Some of this forum's people's obsesstion with communism has reached a level that I am approaching a state of loss for words.

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
This sounds like an instance of Smollettism.

“Ablaze” 🤣

Saruhashi

Oct 2, 2018
I already admitted that my initial reaction to the Covington incident was incorrect multiple times. And I already admitted I was wrong about the Smollett incident multiple times as well. Not sure what else you expect unless you are literally expecting an an apology. If you are then I am sincerely sorry for making a mistake based on the bad information that was given to me.
You hoping for 3rd time lucky then?

Broken clock etc etc.

Thread title: "A California mosque was set ablaze"
Actual article: "someone outside tried to set the building ablaze"

You can't even get basic fucking details right.
You whine about "bad information" as you proceed to share bad info yourself.

Last edited:

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
Feb 22, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Communism isn't right wing, stupid ass. And if other people jumped off a bridge, would you (please say yes)?
Did you actually glean anything from the manifesto? The shooter explicitly describes himself as fascist, nationalist and anti-immigrant. He couldn't be more right-wing if he'd shouted "I AM RIGHT-WING" while gunning people down.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
You hoping for 3rd time lucky then?

Broken clock etc etc.
I'm not hoping for anything aside from the suspect being caught. I saw a story that I believed to be important and posted it. Just like literally everyone else on this forum who has ever made a thread.

Last edited:

funkygunther

Dec 22, 2018
This sounds like an instance of Smollettism.

“Ablaze” 🤣
Fuck giving credit to that Jussie character, this was already covered by Four Lions

And yes, thinking the Muslims did it to themselves is fucking stupid

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
Using this logic no crimes should ever be reported until the suspect is arrested.
Funnily enough I have said this exact same thing before in a previous thread. Its amazing to me that in some cases its totally fine to go off the facts that are currently available and then other times its not okay. It makes no sense to me.

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
Fuck giving credit to that Jussie character, this was already covered by Four Lions

And yes, thinking the Muslims did it to themselves is fucking stupid
You people come out of the woodwork don’t you.

Anyways, naw, it isn’t like there isn’t a history of hundreds of fake hate crimes for attention.

Saruhashi

Oct 2, 2018
Using this logic no crimes should ever be reported until the suspect is arrested.
No. Crimes should be reported. Incidents should be reported.

Larger discussions and/or actions based on assumptions about who did or did not commit these crimes and their reasons for doing so need to be reigned in.

What I see, quite clearly. Is that @Nobody_Important comes here with an agenda.
They are not simply "reporting a crime". They are using a crime to further a certain idea about the world.

The thread is "Mosque set ablaze and let me tell you what right wing terrorists are trying to accomplish".

Was a mosque "set ablaze"?
The language seems hyperbolic.
Why is that, I wonder?

funkygunther

Dec 22, 2018
You people come out of the woodwork don’t you.

Anyways, naw, it isn’t like there isn’t a history of hundreds of fake hate crimes for attention.
Same as there isn’t a history of real crimes against certain communities. I know it’s tough to be challenged in your little safe space here lol.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Gold Member
May 4, 2005
Germany
www.gaming-universe.de
Did you actually glean anything from the manifesto? The shooter explicitly describes himself as fascist, nationalist and anti-immigrant. He couldn't be more right-wing if he'd shouted "I AM RIGHT-WING" while gunning people down.
A crime is only right wing if the criminal shouts "Heil Hitler" doing it. And then, still, one has to consider that Hitler was actually a communist and you never know if it is just a hoax crime to let right wing shiny armor knights look bad.

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
What I see, quite clearly. Is that @Nobody_Important comes here with an agenda.
They are not simply "reporting a crime". They are using a crime to further a certain idea about the world.
As I have already said. Painting me as the only person in the Politics section that posts threads relevant to my own interests or views is utterly ridiculous. I see a story that I think is important and I post it just like everyone else and of course I am more likely to post a story that is relevant to my own political views. Just like everyone else. Pretending that I alone post threads that are related to my own brand of politics is completely ridiculous. The entire front page is littered with such threads as I am typing this and yet for some reason its just me that you are calling out.

Cybrwzrd

Sep 29, 2014
Same as there isn’t a history of real crimes against certain communities. I know it’s tough to be challenged in your little safe space here lol.
Hell, Islamists in Nigeria have been massacuring Christians by the hundreds and no hand wringing about hate crimes by the media. Not even a peep. It is completely ignored. And you jokers want to cry over scorch marks on the side of a building.

I do think it is pretty ironic that you call this a “safe space”.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Thanks, I appreciate it when you use a full range of sources, but quite frankly it raises a lot of new questions.

Why are some sources reporting it as a "note found in the parking lot"? Only some of your sources affirm it is spray-painted graffiti.

Also, how do we -- the readers -- know it is a hate crime yet? No suspect has been apprehended so it is premature to label it a hate crime, even though the police are framing it as such.

Why have reporters not taken pictures of the graffiti? I didn't see anything in the reports adding detail on that question. Police simply said they chose to keep it a secret for now but when graffiti is involved, a picture of said graffiti is usually one of the first things the public gets to see.

Not even the leaders of the mosque know what the graffiti said, according to your WaPo source:

Muslim leaders said they remained in the dark about the precise language

Schrödinger's cat

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2011
As I have already said. Painting me as the only person in the Politics section that posts threads relevant to my own interests or views is utterly ridiculous. I see a story that I think is important and I post it just like everyone else and of course I am more likely to post a story that is relevant to my own political views. Just like everyone else. Pretending that I alone post threads that are related to my own brand of politics is completely ridiculous. The entire front page is littered with such threads as I am typing this and yet for some reason its just me that you are calling out.
"I'm the victim in all of this!"
:messenger_neutral:

funkygunther

Dec 22, 2018
Hell, Islamists in Nigeria have been massacuring Christians by the hundreds and no hand wringing about hate crimes by the media. Not even a peep. It is completely ignored. And you jokers want to cry over scorch marks on the side of a building.

What’s Nigeria got to do with anything? You going to bring up the Islamic Revolution in Iran as proof of something too?

You want my opinion about what’s happening in Nigeria, you post a topic about it. Something tells me you don’t though.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
Also, how do we -- the readers -- know it is a hate crime yet? No suspect has been apprehended so it is premature to label it a hate crime, even though the police are framing it as such.
Thats simple. We don't. I am just putting 2 and 2 together using basic common sense based on the facts that are currently being made available by the authorities and the media.

- The police are calling it a hate crime

- A multitude of independent and unrelated outlets are reporting that the messages left behind are a reference to the New Zealand Terrorist attack

- The target was a mosque

It is not some kind of Evil Knievel level of jump to assume based on the current facts that the person who did this is a right wing extremist. Now as I said the information can change and that might be wrong in the end, but thats where we are at right now.

Saruhashi

Oct 2, 2018
That's fine.

Thread title: "A California mosque was set ablaze"
Actual article: "someone outside tried to set the building ablaze"

That doesn't just happen by accident.
For you specifically it feels like there's some purpose to that misleading title.
I would hope you can at least comprehend why I, or anyone here, would be suspicious of that.

I just can't believe that it happens by accident.
You deliberately put bad information in your thread title.

Now, the reason might just be that you wanted it to be a bit of click bait. Or it might be something else.
Whichever way you can't deny that you did it.

So I'm calling that out.
Surely I don't need to do a "terrorism is bad and this was a bad crime... please clap" thing here?

You also have a history of getting these things spectacularly and hilariously wrong so I'm also kind of amazed that you put so much faith in the story being true.

If I had recently made an arse of myself twice on this kind of thing I'd be reluctant to go in again for round 3, nevermind actively putting incorrect info right there in the thread title.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
It is not some kind of Evil Knievel level of jump to assume based on the current facts that the person who did this is a right wing extremist. Now as I said the information can change and that might be wrong in the end, but thats where we are at right now.
It's exactly the sort of jump that you made with Covington and Smollett. I'm not doubting your moral sincerity, but you still do not have the facts to make the statements you just made.

At least be honest about your motives. We might not have any facts about the motives of the un-caught, un-interviewed suspect(s), but you could at least do us the courtesy of being honest about your own motives.

Yoshi

Gold Member
May 4, 2005
Germany
www.gaming-universe.de

Because western people tend to care about what happens in western countries. Not so much what happens in third world countries.

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
It's exactly the sort of jump that you made with Covington and Smollett. I'm not doubting your moral sincerity, but you still do not have the facts to make the statements you just made.
As @AfricanKing pointed out what you are suggesting is that nobody should report on crimes and nobody should discuss crimes until the suspect is arrested. Thats not how news works. News is reported based on the facts that are currently available and people process the information as the situation evolves. Thats how breaking news works. Otherwise no outlets would ever be able to report on anything.

That doesn't just happen by accident.
For you specifically it feels like there's some purpose to that misleading title.
I would hope you can at least comprehend why I, or anyone here, would be suspicious of that.

I just can't believe that it happens by accident.
You deliberately put bad information in your thread title.
Except that is literally the title of the article.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/03/25/california-mosque-was-set-ablaze-clear-homage-terrorist-attack-new-zealand/?utm_term=.83f7add08bb3

I changed nothing. I actively try to never change the title of an article unless the title is unclear, poorly worded, or too long to fit as a thread title. Also that was not the only source to refer to the fire in its title

"California mosque fire: police investigate possible arson and hate crime" - The Guardian

"PD: Arsonist who burned California mosque referred to New Zealand attack in graffiti" - ABC Affiliate

"New Zealand attack note left at fire at California mosque" - Fox News

So no the whole "me intentionally trying to mislead people with the title" doesn't fly. Its literally the way that the story is being presented from numerous outlets that I saw. I was simply copying the article directly as it was reported instead of trying to make up my own title.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
As @AfricanKing pointed out what you are suggesting is that nobody should report on crimes and nobody should discuss crimes until the suspect is arrested. Thats not how news works.
You are lying. That is not what I am suggesting, nor anyone else in this thread. If you could stop mischaracterizing the people around you, maybe we wouldn't assume you are mischaracterizing the news story you posted.

We are asking for a relatively honest representation of the facts from a twice-caught propagandist who has pushed stuff like this before.

My questions stand:

Why are some sources reporting it as a "note found in the parking lot"? Only some of your sources affirm it is spray-painted graffiti.

Why have reporters not taken pictures of the graffiti? I didn't see anything in the reports adding detail on that question. Police simply said they chose to keep it a secret for now but when graffiti is involved, a picture of said graffiti is usually one of the first things the public gets to see.

Not even the leaders of the mosque know what the graffiti said, according to your WaPo source.

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
You are lying. That is not what I am suggesting, nor anyone else in this thread. If you could stop mischaracterizing the people around you, maybe we wouldn't assume you are mischaracterizing the news story you posted.

We are asking for a relatively honest representation of the facts from a twice-caught propagandist who has pushed stuff like this before.

My questions stand:

Not even the leaders of the mosque know what the graffiti said, according to your WaPo source.
And as I literally just said we don't know. Its speculation based upon the available information. Thats how breaking news works. It evolves and it changes as the situation evolves and changes. I literally just explained this. You can't just say "you are lying and I know it" and then proceed to just ignore everything I have to say. Thats not how you have a proper discussion. Thats not how that works.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
And as I literally just said we don't know. Its speculation based upon the available facts. Thats how breaking news works. I literally just explained this. You can't just say "you are lying and I know it" and then proceed to just ignore everything I have to say. Thats not how you have a proper discussion.
I am referring to your accusation that "what you are suggesting is that nobody should report on crimes and nobody should discuss crimes until the suspect is arrested", which is a lie. And then in response, you lie again and mischaracterize what I said.

Do you have a quote of where anyone suggested this?

I didn't ignore everything you have to say. Quite obviously not: I have raised several questions about your news story and the holes in your conclusions that you drew without the facts, and yet strangely you cannot answer. :pie_thinking:

I'd be happy to continue the discussion once you able to stop lying about me and mischaracterizing the people who challenge your assertions.