• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A company Selling Custom Colored Plates For PlayStation 5 Insists That It's Legally Permitted To Do So.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
German company Game Armor insists that it is legally permitted to sell custom colored plates for Sony's PlayStation 5 because its name and the name of its product do not infringe upon any trademarks.

Article said:
Content creator CptnAlex, who launched Game Armor this week, said he doesn’t expect his company to get on the wrong side of Sony.

He wrote: “Because our name isn’t deceptively close to a trademarked one, because our product doesn’t include trademarked logos, and because our armor is designed differently enough to not infringe on design patents, we’re able to sell safely.”

I've pre-ordered the black variety just for kicks.

The downside of these plates is that they don't have the PlayStation logo. However, the upside is that they allow owners of the PS5 to easily change the color of their systems without actually modding anything and/ or voiding their warranties.

Soodanim

Gold Member
The only thing wrong with the first site was the name. Of course you can sell pieces of plastic in a shape that don't infringe on copyrights, trademarks, or patents.

If my memory serves me right, microsoft weren't the only ones to offer custom faceplates for the 360, and sure as hell couldn't do anything against millions of other third party vendors on ebay, amazon etc.

Same case here.

Edit: I meant the 360 of course

Last edited:

FastOrc

I see they only do the disc version, i would have got a set for my digital. But can't see any on the site.

Three

The only thing wrong with the first site was the name. Of course you can sell pieces of plastic in a shape that don't infringe on copyrights, trademarks, or patents.
The shape of a piece of plastic can be copyrighted though. I can't for example create a fake DS4 or xbox pad in the exact same shape.

I don't think they can control it though. Custom plates from third parties will happen regardless.

Soodanim

Gold Member
The shape of a piece of plastic can be copyrighted though. I can't for example create a fake DS4 or xbox pad in the exact same shape.

I don't think they can control it though. Custom plates from third parties will happen regardless.
Hmm. Even so, I imagine plates of a slightly different shape will become popular within the year.

Top Bottom