• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Compilation of Hilarious Animations in Mass Effect Andromeda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucifon

Gq2sV2H.gif

dat wine
If we're nitpicking water pouring animations we could be here all day with videogames.

Parahan

I just finished a comparison between the (alpha?) footage from april 2016 and this one. I couldn't find a good video so I used the glitched footage.

https://my.mixtape.moe/yugchn.mp4

Okay this is insane. They had textures and animations down pat in 2016 and a year later they release a game that looks like the 2015 version before it got polished??

I have zero knowledge on how game development works but does this mean there is a possibility they can patch the game to "revert" back to these visuals?

I'm gonna chalk most of that comparison up to textures not loading due to it being a glitched cutscene. No way that's the intended level of detail.

The plume was probably super taxing on hardware so it getting chopped makes sense but man, the dip in facial animation is a real bummer.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I just finished a comparison between the (alpha?) footage from april 2016 and this one. I couldn't find a good video so I used the glitched footage.

The lighting difference is just....geez. Probably causing some framerate issues, but just look at the guy's skin on the final release.

The Krogan armor is also much more pronounced in the early footage.

rhandino

Banned
I have zero knowledge on how game development works but does this mean there is a possibility they can patch the game to "revert" back to these visuals?
Of course! Just like Ubisoft patched the old lightning into Watch Dogs after everyone complained at the downgrade.

... More seriously tho, it's likely that the visuals in that leaked footage had to be downgraded for performance reasons just like it happened to games like XenobladeX or how Syndicate is not as good looking as Unity.

Tom Nook

HOLY CRAP! How did I miss this thread?

HAHAHAHAHAHAH

Guess I've been playing Zelda a lot and watching Power Ranger marathon.

The lighting difference is just....geez. Probably causing some framerate issues, but just look at the guy's skin on the final release.

The Krogan armor is also much more pronounced in the early footage.

They probably aimed too high for current gen consoles and didn't have the expertise (or time) to optimize Frostbite to make it work. Which is probably why they didn't want to release any footage of this game until late in the project.

Look at this.

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/GHeXpfO.png[/IMG]

What happened to the faces? Everything in the leaked clip looks fine, even the eyes.

Whut?

They probably aimed too high for current gen consoles and didn't have the expertise (or time) to optimize Frostbite to make it work. Which is probably why they didn't want to release any footage of this game until late in the project.

Another theory.

Lender

Fuck it, all this ME:A talk has put me in the mood to replay the original.

Installing.

Already doing so since yesterday. Having a lot of fun. Gonna do an entire re-run of the original trilogy and pick this game up later when it's cheaper and patched out.

I wonder how the animators of this game would feel coming into this thread. Brutal lol.

But they don't lack talent. The facial animations looked fine in that leaked vid. Even every other BioWare game since ME1 has also had better facial animation than ME;A.

Something went seriously wrong with the project that must have had a domino effect to cause this. I highly doubt that anyone is happy with this.

Osahi

In one cutscène I had two characters following the exact same path and doing the exact same animations, like the game had only place for one teammember to put there and decided: what the heck, let's just mix up both.

Don't have a movie or a gif as I didn't think of saving it as a movie, but I do have the abomination in screenshot:

a916

I wonder how the animators of this game would feel coming into this thread. Brutal lol.

I don't work their... but I would imagine they know the quality of the animation. They would still be hurt reading this. There's also more to the story that they can't talk about. If there was trouble developing or something had to get downgraded because it wasn't running.

I mean from that leaked beta footage, it's clear they know their shit. The expressions and movement seemed on-point. Somewhere along the line, they had to brutally reduce the footprint for optimization or pipeline purposes and their established work took a massive hit as a result. I believe the theory that facial bones were excised from the rig for example; it explains the wooden, incomplete faces in that particular scene.

In one cutscène I had two characters following the exact same path and doing the exact same animations, like the game had only place for one teammember to put there and decided: what the heck, let's just mix up both.

Don't have a movie or a gif as I didn't think of saving it as a movie, but I do have the abomination in screenshot:

5M4618x.jpg

From Doctor Strange

9OzsJVS.jpg

Batgirl Cora?

neoglow

Banned
This game is the biggest jank pile I've seen for a while.

With all the resect I can give, it all looks so amateur or like an old 90's game when 3D animation was far more.....basic. That sex scene was mega cringe.

It's a mess.

SRTtoZ

They probably saw this coming. Something happened in development that made this game go to shit and they probably know the answer to that so I would assume they were prepared for this shitstorm.

Peterc

Good stuff, wonder what developers would think about neogaf comments. I'm sure soms devs probably thought "we can't do this". But maybe EA said budget is limited. I just can't believe it's that bad, that they even didn't know it by themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom