• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Dreamcast emulator was released for Android devices - Reicast

Vorg

Banned
Searched, didn't find anything. Lock if old.

Here's a brief description from Google Play:

"Reicast is a multi-platform Dreamcast emulator.
The project is currently in Alpha, usability, performance and stability issues are to be expected. We'll fix them the following weeks! As we only have a few android devices, we'd really love to see your videos of it running!
Cortex-A9 dualcore, 1ghz+ is the minimum hardware for decent speeds."

Seems to be a branch of nullDC, and best of all, it's FREE!

Google play link:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.reicast.emulator

Official website:
http://reicast.com/

Some other useful info. Thanks KingpinZero.

Ok, a small recap of whats the current state:

- The emu needs legit DC Bios to work. Create a folder called DC in the root of your tablet/phone internal memory with a file manager of your choice; then inside it, create a DATA folder. Put required files in there (should be two, the bios and the flash)
- The emu is very primitive, so dont expect miracles, but also it looks lika a beta instead of an alpha. Its very fast.
- Emulation of graphics is glitchy, so dont get upset if you see flickering, missing things or geometry. Its normal. So far each game i tested shows some sort of problem.
- The emulator HAS NO controller support, NO options.
- The emulator runs with some kind of frameskip (i guess) that automatically "tries" to reach 60fps even if the game slows down.
- Game compatibility is pretty decent, some games wont work thought (DoA 2 LE doesnt, im sad :( )
- The emulator seems to like GDI's instead of CDI's more. Personally both works great.
- If you want to save your game, just boot bios, format the VMUs and setup your options.

Ive tested these games:

- Daytona 2001: works, some gfx glitches, almost fullspeed.
- Soul Calibur: works, some gfx glitches, almost fullspeed.
- Dead or Alive 2 LE: partially working, gfx appear to be ok. After you choose the character it crashes the emulator.

My hardware:
- Nexus 7 2013 32gb, 545mhz GPU/1944mhz CPU x4 (Faux kernel). Android 4.3. Default resolution.
If i downscale the resolution from 1200p to 720p i observe a few fps gain, but its very very marginal. So i guess the emu needs to be optimized a bit more, as now it can easily be the bottleneck of itself.

Hope it helps.

somewhere out there, you can hear the grief-filled moans of a windows phone not having a windows-operated console emulated on it. Shush, it's barely audible.

- The emu needs legit DC Bios to work. Create a folder called DC in the root of your tablet/phone internal memory with a file manager of your choice; then inside it, create a DATA folder. Put required files in there (should be two, the bios and the flash)
- The emu is very primitive, so dont expect miracles, but also it looks lika a beta instead of an alpha. Its very fast.
- Emulation of graphics is glitchy, so dont get upset if you see flickering, missing things or geometry. Its normal. So far each game i tested shows some sort of problem.
- The emulator HAS PARTIAL controller support,but NO options to configura it. You're stuck with default Android mapping. DS3 and Shield confirmed working.
- The emulator runs with some kind of frameskip (i guess) that automatically "tries" to reach 60fps even if the game slows down.
- Game compatibility is pretty decent, some games wont work thought (DoA 2 LE doesnt, im sad :( )
- The emulator seems to like GDI's instead of CDI's more. Personally both works great.
- If you want to save your game, just boot bios, format the VMUs and setup your options.

Ive tested these games:

- Dead or Alive 2 LE: partially working, gfx appear to be ok. After you choose the character it crashes the emulator.

My hardware:
- Nexus 7 2013 32gb, 545mhz GPU/1944mhz CPU x4 (Faux kernel). Android 4.3. Default resolution.
If i downscale the resolution from 1200p to 720p i observe a few fps gain, but its very very marginal. So i guess the emu needs to be optimized a bit more, as now it can easily be the bottleneck of itself.

Hope it helps.

Can't find where " /sdcard/dc/data/" is.

Read above mate.

tsab

Is Shenmue playable? Imagine looking for sailors while you are looking for sailors irl !!!!!

yodawg.jpg

Is Shenmue playable? Imagine looking for sailors while you are looking for sailors irl !!!!!

yodawg.jpg

Yes it is, both versions, at least from what i gather around. Being a 30fps locked game, also, should be easily playable at fullspeed.

itshappening.gif

SparkTR

yodawg.jpg

If this is based on NullDC then it should be. I played through Shenmue 1 and 2 using that on my PC last year, it even transferred items from the savefiles.

tsab

Yes it is, both versions, at least from what i gather around. Being a 30fps locked game, also, should be easily playable at fullspeed.

itshappening.gif

got me all excited. I'll test my pal version (gotta have save transfer for shenmue 2) later at night.

fake edit: cool it will accept my gdi backups
broadband adapter ftw

Vorg

Banned

- The emulator HAS NO controller support, NO options.

Ive tested these games:

My hardware:

Hope it helps.

Read above mate.

Kingpinzero would you mind if I quote this post in the OP? May be useful for other people trying it out.

CronoShot

It can't seem to find the bios on my Nexus 5. This is correct, right?

CvW98VG.png

How easy is ripping DC games anyway - a lot of them came on GD-roms right? I'm interested in backing my collection to my pc and putting my DC into storage.

wow. this is truly an achievement. I'm excited to see how far along development comes along in the next year or so, my contract for a new phone doesn't come up until October, but when it does...this might be a factor in jumping off the iPhone ship. :D

Omikaru

How easy is ripping DC games anyway - a lot of them came on GD-roms right? I'm interested in backing my collection to my pc and putting my DC into storage.

Unless you have a certain brand of CD-ROM drive, I don't think any computer can read the GD-ROM discs. As I understand it, you need to use a serial cable running from your Dreamcast to your PC alongside some other hacked software running on the DC in order to get the rips. And oh boy, do those rips take a while...

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I should really look into DC emulation. My DC is still hooked up to my TV and I don't think it'll last forever (only in my heart).

My DC still gets hooked up to the HDTV now and then too. Sadly I have to use the S-video cable to do it, and it doesn't always look the best. I should look into emulation too, my DC certainly won't last forever. The cd drive is as noisy as ever, but it's not getting any worse thankfully, LOL.

Unless you have a certain brand of CD-ROM drive, I don't think any computer can read the GD-ROM discs. As I understand it, you need to use a serial cable running from your Dreamcast to your PC alongside some other hacked software running on the DC in order to get the rips. And oh boy, do those rips take a while...

Yikes, you're not kidding.

Maxim726X

Tried Grandia 2 on my S4... Couldn't get past the opening, think it crashed.

Amazing the thing even boots up honestly. Looking forward to what it can do in the future.

My DC still gets hooked up to the HDTV now and then too. Sadly I have to use the S-video cable to do it, and it doesn't always look the best. I should look into emulation too, my DC certainly won't last forever. The cd drive is as noisy as ever, but it's not getting any worse thankfully, LOL.

Use VGA or VGA > (Magic Something) > HDMI. So worth it!*

*except for those games that won't run on it without a boot disc to trick it. Hello V8: Second Offense

Kokonoe

Banned
Guys.

This works perfectly with the Nvidia Shield controller. I'm using a controller to play this and it's working with PSO. Here's a screenshot.

ie2bPeVQD3asd.png

Tried Grandia 2 on my S4... Couldn't get past the opening, think it crashed.

Amazing the thing even boots up honestly. Looking forward to what it can do in the future.
I have the same phone and that is the first game I thought to use this for. He's to hoping it eventually works.

Guys.

This works perfectly with the Nvidia Shield controller. I'm using a controller to play this and it's working with PSO. Here's a screenshot.

ie2bPeVQD3asd.png

How are you mapping the controllers??

Did you make a profile to map the physical buttons to the on screen buttons?

Top Bottom