• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Fading Melody (Xbox Live Community Game)

UtadaBarkley

Member
Jun 10, 2004
2,728
0
0
Did a search on GAF and didn't find any topics about this XNA title. Anyone tried it out? I'm on the 4th level, and it's pretty sweet. It heavily borrows from the narrative style of Braid, but seems a bit more "mature" if you will, plus it's a pure platformer with little to no puzzle elements involved. In a nutshell, the game is closer to a platformer like Super Mario Bros, or 2D Sonic than Braid. It revolves around forward moving progress.

The gameplay mechanics are solid, with pretty responsive controls. You learn more moves as you progress from level to level, and you will need to utilize them all to progress. The music is a solely classical affair, which works extremely well with the artwork, and ambiance. Overall this is a very complete package for an XNA game. I'm surprised to see it hasn't gotten any love from GAF, or from the internet in general. Perhaps I've missed the coverage? Anyway, I highly recommend it.

Here is a screenshot for those who have not seen the art style of the game.



The game is only 200 MS Points ( a steal imo ).
 

Dabanton

Member
May 25, 2007
25,537
1
0
Looks very interesting, i'll check this out later.

Wish MS would sort out the community games a bit more i forget that the section is their.
 

Mamesj

Banned
Jul 30, 2007
8,124
0
0
Okay, bought.

sure, it's an Artsy Game™ that is so prevalent these days, but the simple mechanics and nice piano music hooked me. Story is a little intriguing too.
 

TheGreatDave

Banned
Mar 10, 2005
38,095
0
0
34
I thought it looked great and I liked the music, but overall it just didn't deliver a gameplay experience I could describe as fun. It was a bit frustrating to be honest. The platformer controls don't work that well.
 

Mamesj

Banned
Jul 30, 2007
8,124
0
0
what didn't work for you TheGreatDave? Just curious if you're referring to later levels when you get more moves or what. I played the demo and got the roll move...seems like the controls couldn't be anymore responsive.
 

TheGreatDave

Banned
Mar 10, 2005
38,095
0
0
34
Mamesj said:
what didn't work for you TheGreatDave? Just curious if you're referring to later levels when you get more moves or what. I played the demo and got the roll move...seems like the controls couldn't be anymore responsive.
I played till the demo timed out, a bit after getting rolls. It's not that it's unresponsive, it just felt kinda like a Flash game, you know? It just didn't quite feel right for me. Besides that, the actual acts of going through a level and jumping and/or rolling in to things wasn't really fun.
 

UtadaBarkley

Member
Jun 10, 2004
2,728
0
0
I really think that you should stick with the game for a while. True it's a bit frustrating at first but the control gets much better with time. Trust me, you won't regret it.
 

Mamesj

Banned
Jul 30, 2007
8,124
0
0
TheGreatDave said:
I played till the demo timed out, a bit after getting rolls. It's not that it's unresponsive, it just felt kinda like a Flash game, you know? It just didn't quite feel right for me. Besides that, the actual acts of going through a level and jumping and/or rolling in to things wasn't really fun.

yeah, I guess I expect about the flash game level from community games though. they all seem to feel pretty budget. but 200 points is about right for this kind of simple experience.

more than anything, it makes me want XBLCG ports for Knytt, IWBTG, weird games like that. I would throw Cave Story in there, but I'd rather that get a full fledged XBLA release :)
Though I think Miner Dig Deep is on par with those games (or better.)
 

Speevy

Banned
Jun 26, 2004
62,861
1
0
You can be as artistic and meaningful as you want, but if the gameplay mechanics aren't up to par, it doesn't matter.
 

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Nov 19, 2005
16,993
1
0
Northeast Ohio
www.dudebro2.com
Speevy said:
You can be as artistic and meaningful as you want, but if the gameplay mechanics aren't up to par, it doesn't matter.
see, this is the problem i had with The Passage. only movement controls, no action buttons! the metaphors for life and death are lost on me if i can't break shit.
 

Speevy

Banned
Jun 26, 2004
62,861
1
0
Danthrax said:
see, this is the problem i had with The Passage. only movement controls, no action buttons! the metaphors for life and death are lost on me if i can't break shit.
I'd settle for accurate jumping. I'm a sucker for platformers.