A GoFundMe campaign is raising funds to pay for the border wall

EssKayZee

Nov 20, 2018
It's been two years since Donald Trump won the presidential election after repeatedly promising to build a wall on the US-Mexico border.

US Air Force veteran Brian Kolfage set up a GoFundMe campaign on Monday asking for supporters to pitch in to pay for the wall. In 48 hours, the campaign has already received more than $1 million in donations.

"If the 63 million people who voted for Trump each pledge $80, we can build the wall," the campaign's GoFundMe page reads.
Source: Business Insider

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018

EDIT: Republicans have shelled out $2.5 million dollars in order to help fund a multi-BILLION dollar project?????

Last edited:

odd_hatch

Aug 28, 2018
I only heard of this now and it's been already 3 days?

2.7 million is not much, but only 45K people shelled out a few bucks.

Let's see if the rest of the Trump supporters find out about this and how high can it get.

HenkDV

Aug 11, 2018
Can't you keep the money even if you don't roach the goal on GoFundMe?
Someone's getting their payday.

TheGreatYosh

Jul 19, 2018
This is pathetic. Trump should have the wall built already. Instead, he wasted his political capital on ACA, and tax reform. He chose the donors priority over the people that elected him. Now we have Dems taking over the house, and we all know the walls not getting built now. So, stop throwing your money away.

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
It's over 5.3 million already. Sure that's peanuts compared to the total cost, but if Trump starts tweeting out links watch out.

I wonder if Mexico is donating?

Edit: He's going on Foxnews tonight per an update from 23 minutes ago. And the number keeps rising already.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018
It''ll go something like this:

- People in southern states bordering Mexico = $$$$$
- Government workers including border guards and security = $$$$$
- All other people who have no interaction with illegal immigrants hitting their city = $0

Last edited:

Miku Miku

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2018
If people want to donate to pay for the whole thing, I honestly may have to not be opposed to it. In the campaign his whole "Mexico will pay for it" line was clearly an obvious lie.

If people want to pick up the tab without tax payer money though, I say go for it. Only several billion left to go.

Last edited:

Vlaphor

Jul 25, 2011
Kansas
The estimated cost of building the wall is 25 billion. Those are Fox News estimates, so that's probably on the low end to make it sound feasible. At the current donation rate, it would take slightly over 50 years to get the necessary funds, not counting the percentage that GoFundMe takes for themselves.

This is a scam, someone is getting paid.

pramod

Oct 24, 2017
If they dont hit the 1 billion targer then all money is automatically refunded. How is that a scam?

ssolitare

Manbaby: The Member
Jan 12, 2009
It''ll go something like this:

- People in southern states bordering Mexico = $$$$$
- Government workers including border guards and security = $$$$$
- All other people who have no interaction with illegal immigrants hitting their city = $0
Well, this is more what it looks like:

Six states account for 58% of unauthorized immigrants: California, Texas, Florida, New York, New Jersey and Illinois. But individual states have experienced different trends. From 2007 to 2016, the unauthorized immigrant population decreased in a dozen states: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Florida, Illinois, Michigan, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York and Oregon. In three states, the unauthorized immigrant population rose over the same period: Louisiana, Maryland and Massachusetts.
Even though this includes all unauthorized, the other states really don't have that many illegal immigrants from the Mexico/US border, nevertheless having more coming in or even going.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Apr 9, 2009
Don't see whats wrong with this. If you want the wall then pay for it. Just don't ask those of us who don't want it to spend our tax dollars on your shit.

Maybe some crazy rich celeb will donate tens of millions. You guys can do this.

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
Don't see whats wrong with this. If you want the wall then pay for it. Just don't ask those of us who don't want it to spend our tax dollars on your shit.

Can this please go both ways???????????????????????????????????

odd_hatch

Aug 28, 2018
Has there ever been something like this in the history of the USA? Is it even legal to get something like the wall crowdfunded? Is there a risk of GoFundMe just turning it off before reaching a billion?

I would be surprised if it reaches the billion, but we need 5 billion I think? There would have to be a lot of double dipping going on. And more exposure. Hard to tell at this point.

BANGS

Banned
Dec 13, 2016
Good, this is the way government SHOULD work. If you want the wall, you pay for it. I'm all about cutting spending unlike these fake ass republicans...

Nov 1, 2017
2018 in a nut shell.. I doubt this will accomplish anything but its a massive symbolic gesture that people want Trumps agenda to pass

Aug 29, 2018
Bartow, Florida, USA

Welcome to the wonderful world of being a Conservative, expect your Nazi uniform in the mail.

Arkage

Gold Member
Sep 25, 2012
Hell, if Trump supporters want to pay for the wall I'm all for it.

Ixiah

Feb 16, 2018

EDIT: Republicans have shelled out $2.5 million dollars in order to help fund a multi-BILLION dollar project?????

Sorry, if it was a project to raise a Statue for Obozo that costs 1 Billion, you would have already paid it, in 3 Days......
9,5 Million btw.
But please, also laugh at the "wise" democrats who have 10 fucking Billion to give away to Drug Cartells.
Which is the reason someone said Fuck it, we do it ourself.

Last edited:

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Jun 10, 2004
Kinda insane.. but.. why not I guess?

Heck, they should let private contractors build the damn thing, I bet they could get it done a lot cheaper that way too (and faster).
Uh.... who do you think is going to build it if not private contractors? The military? It’s not like the government has a crew of wall builders on its payroll sitting around waiting for their next job.

Havoc2049

Mar 30, 2011
Southern California
Well, this is more what it looks like:

Even though this includes all unauthorized, the other states really don't have that many illegal immigrants from the Mexico/US border, nevertheless having more coming in or even going.
Your data is almost three years old now. Since the economy has been doing well, illegal entry into the United States is on the rise and the U.S. Border Patrol has seen an increase in apprehensions over the last several years. For FY2018 (ended in October), the Border Patrol apprehended almost 400,000 people entering the United States illegally, with unaccompanied juvenile apprehensions increasing by 21% and family units increasing by 42%.
Source: CBP

Uh.... who do you think is going to build it if not private contractors? The military? It’s not like the government has a crew of wall builders on its payroll sitting around waiting for their next job.
The Army Corps of Engineers and Navy Seabees (both active and reserve units) have done the majority of the projects in the past, building fencing and infrastructure along the southwest border for the U.S. Border Patrol and CBP.

From Wikipedia:
The United States Army Corps of Engineers (USACE)[5] is a U.S. federal agency under the Department of Defense and a major Army command made up of some 37,000 civilian and military personnel,[1] making it one of the world's largest public engineering, design, and construction management agencies.

Last edited:

HenkDV

Aug 11, 2018
If you're going to post the news, why not just post the link as well?

Here:
https://www.gofundme.com/thetrumpwall

It's up to 4.7 million now. I just gave $100.
If they dont hit the 1 billion targer then all money is automatically refunded. How is that a scam?
According to GoFundMe he can keep his money:

"Reaching your goal is not required. With GoFundMe, you keep each and every donation you receive. "

Doesn't really matter what the guy himself says on his donation page.

Either way, I don't think people realize how much money a billion dollars is, let alone 5 billion. (Which still isn't enough for a proper wall btw) This thing isnt getting even close to enough money to reach its goal within even a decade. That's not even taking into account maintenance. People buying into this are legit morons, even when you ignore the fact that they want a fucking border wall.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
I am damn near speechless at the level of ignorance that this kickstarter represents. People are willing shell out over $10,000,000 for a kickstarter that is doomed to fail instead of donating that money to something that actually matters. Why not put that money towards some actual good?

Homeless veteran charities?

Wounded Warrior project?

Cancer research?

St. Judes Children hospital?

Shriners hospitals?

Any one of thousands of other national or local charities that could improve their own lives or communities?

Nah fuck all that real world bullshit! Lets just throw all that money away on an online Kickstarter that will never reach its goal and even if it did it still wouldn't be enough to fund the actual project that we want! THAT'LL SHOW THE LIBS

I just hope that whatever person is in charge of this debacle comes to their senses at some point and decides to donate the money to a deserving charity that could actually put the money towards a good use and not waste it.

Last edited:

betrayal

Feb 2, 2018
I am damn near speechless at the level of ignorance that this kickstarter represents. People are willing shell out over $10,000,000 for a kickstarter that is doomed to fail instead of donating that money to something that actually matters. Why not put that money towards some actual good?

Homeless veteran charities?
Wounded Warrior project?
Cancer research?
St. Judes Children hospital?
Shriners hospitals?

Any one of thousands of other national or local charities that could improve their own lives or communities?
How do you know that they don't do that already?

Don't always confuse facts with you own personal assumptions.

Nah fuck all that real world bullshit! Lets just throw all that money away on an online Kickstarter that will never reach its goal and even if it did it still wouldn't be enough to fund the actual project that we want! THAT'LL SHOW THE LIBS

I still don't get it how 90% of the people in the US use the term "liberal". Liberalism is one the main reasons we have national states and borders. Maybe you, as well as many others, still need to complete some more history lessons before constantly hijacking the term "liberal". Per definition everyone who gives money to this cause is a liberal because he wants strong borders and nations.

I just hope that whatever person is in charge of this debacle comes to their senses at some point and decides to donate the money to a deserving charity that could actually put the money towards a good use and not waste it.
I have to agree here, but i'm pretty sure that the money will be given to a good cause anyway.

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
How do you know that they don't do that already?

Don't always confuse facts with you own personal assumptions.
I never said they don't. I meant that this money should have gone there instead of this ridiculous kickstarter

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
Dec 13, 2016
I never said they don't. I meant that this money should have gone there instead of this ridiculous kickstarter
That's the beauty of living in a free country, people can support the causes they want without tyranny of communists like yourself who want to decide for us how we spend our money...

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
This is nuts.

This thing might get finished before Star Citizen does.
Well Star Citizen is never getting finished and neither is the wall so its more of a tie than anything else. Though at the very least people can have a bit of fun with Star Citizen while they infinitely wait for it arrival.

odd_hatch

Aug 28, 2018
According to GoFundMe he can keep his money
I doubt that. Don't you think the one who started it can choose to send it back? Especially now that the House just passed 5.7 billion to Trump for the wall.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Apr 9, 2009
I doubt that. Don't you think the one who started it can choose to send it back? Especially now that the House just passed 5.7 billion to Trump for the wall.
That would be funny if he sends the money back because he doesn't know that the wall is dead on arrival in the senate because it needs 60 votes, not 51.

I'm sure he's appreciative of the 0% interest loan at least.

Zangiefy360

Aug 30, 2018
I, and many people I know, are watching this Gofundme closely, but we aren't comfortable jumping in just yet. I'll wait for word from the President himself that these funds will go to the wall before contributing.

Also, there should definitely be tiers. I'd pay extra to put my name on a brick with a quote.