• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A guy uses Little Big Planet 2 to remake Final Fantasy VII

I think this looks great and I'll be trying it later. As an aside - speaking as someone who has only just started playing LBP2 - isn't there a thread gathering all the best user created levels? I did a search but there seems to be very little posted here about the game.

I'm sure LBP1 had a big thread showing all the custom levels people had created/discovered.

Haunted

Begs the question... why?
People are doing homages to their favourite games/movies within all sorts of creative outlets.

I think it's neat.

edit: except for the music, reminds me of the barebones midi tracks in the original PC version. >_>

I think this looks great and I'll be trying it later. As an aside - speaking as someone who has only just started playing LBP2 - isn't there a thread gathering all the best user created levels? I did a search but there seems to be very little posted here about the game.

I'm sure LBP1 had a big thread showing all the custom levels people had created/discovered.

If you're looking specifically for GAF user created levels in LBP2, might as well just run through the LBP2 OT: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418357

As for best levels all over, LBPCentral has a weekly feature for that kind of stuff: http://www.lbpcentral.com/forums/list.php?category/56-Community-Stuff

And of course, there's the MM Picks list: http://lbp.me/search?t=mm_picks

Also, if you want to see an LBP RPG done right, check this shit out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5MfhDq4BY8

bluemax

Banned
On the one hand I applaud his dedication to the project and how much he got done.

On the other it looks incredibly dull to play.

Aside from the motorcycle sections-this is a really well made fan piece. I honestly dont know how he would improve the motorcycle parts though-the user made racing games in LBP2 are all pretty wierd

test_account

XP-39C²
Really cool made! :) Nothing that i will play myself, but i love to see how people recreates things in a much more limited envoirment.

Stuff like this makes me wish I enjoyed LPB more then I did. The floaty controls and random plane switching always killed it for me, but damn the level creator is sexy.

gadwn

Crazy ambitious. And mostly well done it seems.

But as usual I get crazy of hearing the sound effects in LBP, they are so damn tedious. I fucking hate the jump sound, and the sound for the text boxes, the annoying sound when you die and respawn and pretty much every sound there is. Is it's just me that go crazy over things like this? It breaks the immersion totally.

Maybe should ask, there is no way of getting rid of those sound effects when designing a level is there?

The guy did an amazing effort and this are I suppose not his fault but LBP2:
-The platforming and action is horrible and clunky. I thought they had work with it in 2, but I see they didnt change a damn.
-Why does he need to make big guys for the cutscenes instead of use little ones, seeing a little cloud and a big one in the same scene is distracting. Also the heads movements while they talk are atrocious. Are those limitations of the creator?

It just seems to me that "recreating" classics in current creator mode games is a waste of time and energy. I'd rather see something original that actually looks like fun.

No one is going to want to play FFVII in LBP2. It's all a load of text and clunky platforming based on the videos. The novelty of it is cool, sure, but I still don't see the practicality of it all. I thought the same when someone recreated Super Mario in Halo.

Its you. Nothing attracts people more in a game with a builder than doing recreations of things that already exist. LBP, RCT2 and 3, SimCity, Minecraft... You name it. Theres a challenge in doing it right, and when done perfectly people will be amazed with it.
Also you get that the people that love the original thing will want to look your recreation.

Now creating new things could also get people amazed, but is much more difficult because you have to be good at creating things, and thats one of the most difficult thing in the creative process.

As someone that LOVES games with builders and sandbox building modes I like seeing the two, but after so many watching you know what is challenging, what is really difficult and what fails at doing both.

The guy did an amazing effort and this are I suppose not his fault but LBP2:
-The platforming and action is horrible and clunky. I thought they had work with it in 2, but I see they didnt change a damn.
You're not going to get amazing platforming with the level design found in this FF7 homage. I'm not the biggest fan of the platforming itself, but a well designed level in LBP2 can be extremely fun.

-Why does he need to make big guys for the cutscenes instead of use little ones, seeing a little cloud and a big one in the same scene is distracting. Also the heads movements while they talk are atrocious. Are those limitations of the creator?

TBH, the level of creation in this level is child's play compared to something like the cinematics and sackboy movement you'd find in dajdaj03's level: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGgAqq57so4

The music is really well done. Reminds me just how classic and recognisable those tunes are still. The "gameplay" seems a bit janky. But great effort all the same.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
You know what is really sad. If you PCSX and play FFVII in HD it's miles better than the PC "Remake" or any other version YEARS LATER!!!!

Good job on the video very talented..

genjiZERO

Also, if you want to see an LBP RPG done right, check this shit out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5MfhDq4BY8

That looks cool - I might check it out

You know I always thought these create-a-game games were underutilised. I'd really like to see a sprite based top-down game creator that allowed you to create things as variable as at least Zelda to an old-school RPG. RPGmaker sorta did this, but I'd like to see something more flexible and modern.

You're not going to get amazing platforming with the level design found in this FF7 homage. I'm not the biggest fan of the platforming itself, but a well designed level in LBP2 can be extremely fun.

TBH, the level of creation in this level is child's play compared to something like the cinematics and sackboy movement you'd find in dajdaj03's level: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGgAqq57so4

MOTHER OF GOD.
So you can do that type of cutscenes? So its the LBP2 builder easy to use for a creative person, or does it has lots of limitations that the video you posted for example, are left out because the guy put a LOT of work in it?

It just seems to me that "recreating" classics in current creator mode games is a waste of time and energy. I'd rather see something original that actually looks like fun.

No one is going to want to play FFVII in LBP2. It's all a load of text and clunky platforming based on the videos. The novelty of it is cool, sure, but I still don't see the practicality of it all. I thought the same when someone recreated Super Mario in Halo.

You have another 6 million levels to find original awesome levels. By all means, tell everyone else what can be fun/cool/what have you.

MOTHER OF GOD.
So you can do that type of cutscenes? So its the LBP2 builder easy to use for a creative person, or does it has lots of limitations that the video you posted for example, are left out because the guy put a LOT of work in it?

I will admit the tools themselves aren't necessarily easy mode. Although, once you get the hang of the tools (on top of a couple glitch items and tricks that are pretty much now synonymous with upper echelon creation in LBP), you can come up with some crazy shit. For example, I made a top down Devil May Cry-esque top down level. Steve_big_guns made a pretty wicked FPS level that's pretty mindboggling. Some dude recreated Mutant Mudds, sprites and all. Now granted they will never have the same kind of polish as a proper game in those genres would, but it can be done.

There's always be creation limitations in some form or fashion, but there are ways to work around them. You do need to put in work though to get it to an awesome stage.

But yeah, dajdaj03 (the guy who made the Arabesk level) is pretty damn talented in cutscene creation, so much he worked on the cutscenes for LBP Vita.
And a couple of us on GAF worked on it as well
:)

Here's another great cutscene, the Jurassic Park T-Rex scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P2pPA0n8Ho

Pejo

Really enjoyed watching part 1 of this, subscribing to the thread to see some of these other links later, and finish watching the FFVII one.

Derrick01

Banned
I won't lie it's really impressive work, but like most LBP stuff it looks incredibly boring to actually play through. That's not his fault though that's a fault of the game's design.

Celegus

Marking this post so I can watch all these videos later and try some of the levels out. People do some pretty awesome stuff in this game!

hwy_61

Banned
That's really cool! Unfortunately, I just can't play LBP. I really tried, honestly, but I didn't enjoy it. And the thing that irritated me the most, was all the back ground and foreground platforming.

I will admit the tools themselves aren't necessarily easy mode. Although, once you get the hang of the tools (on top of a couple glitch items and tricks that are pretty much now synonymous with upper echelon creation in LBP), you can come up with some crazy shit. For example, I made a top down Devil May Cry-esque top down level. Steve_big_guns made a pretty wicked FPS level that's pretty mindboggling. Some dude recreated Mutant Mudds, sprites and all. Now granted they will never have the same kind of polish as a proper game in those genres would, but it can be done.

There's always be creation limitations in some form or fashion, but there are ways to work around them. You do need to put in work though to get it to an awesome stage.

But yeah, dajdaj03 (the guy who made the Arabesk level) is pretty damn talented in cutscene creation, so much he worked on the cutscenes for LBP Vita.
And a couple of us on GAF worked on it as well
:)

Here's another great cutscene, the Jurassic Park T-Rex scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P2pPA0n8Ho

Thats all mighty impressive. Thanks a lot for the explanation.
I always have questioned how the texture and model building works in this game (like how they did mutant mudds?), becuase it seems that talented people could make almost anything. I would find this easy to do on PC, but in a PS3, between the controller and how the console manages the archives, it boggles my mind.

This is the type of game I would have had bought a console for it, but having played in my friends house LBP1 (although never sadly touched the creator) made me not buy it.

Interfectum

It's cool that he did it but... the result doesn't seem to be worth the effort. Hopefully this is a springboard for this guy to get a real game engine and try something though.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Some of the things people are linking to in here really makes me want to boot up LBP2 again. I didn't play many of the user levels in 2 but I loved the story mode. I always seemed to get stuck somewhere in the geometry of LBP1 user levels with no way of getting out, even on really high rated stages, so I kind of gave up on that stuff. I should give it a go again.

jorgeton

Very cool. I think I may have played an initial version of it a while ago? Either way, I'm checking this out tonight. LBP2's level designer is excellent. I wish I had the time/patience to really dig in.

Razek

Banned
It's cool that he did it but... the result doesn't seem to be worth the effort. Hopefully this is a springboard for this guy to get a real game engine and try something though.

I don't like to be a downer but I have to agree. Quality over quantity. Stuff being linked in here is 100X more impressive than just making generic LBP2 levels with the theme of FF7. Don't get me wrong, the music is done good, but everything else is seriously lacking in execution compared to the better stuff out there that LBP2 has to offer.

I spent a week on my level which relied on an insane amount of logic that my PS3 was running near slideshow mode in the end of, and it's absolutely nothing compared to that real looking RPG shown in here. That looks just nuts.

I'd like to point out that just getting a simple menu system working is a boat load of effort. That RPG book menu and stat distribution would probably take a very long time to implement.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Is the map available? Sounds like Square has some competition.

Top Bottom