• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Halogaf Community Thread: The Old Becomes New

I have to be at work early tomorrow, which means I have to go to sleep early tonight. Like I'm probably gonna go lay down here shortly but I might have trouble sleeping... Crazy how it's almost 4pm Sunday on the east coast of Australia. So that means Microsoft's conference is at like 3am... Will you just stay up for it or watch it later on Monday?
Fuckin oath I'll stay up, think we have 3 or 4 mates to likely be in chat with watching it. Wifey laughs but she's used to these annual shenanigans.

Agreed. I know I'll have a lot of fun playing regardless. It's always a good time to be pumped about a new Halo. I'm at work right now. Sucks as I won't be able to stream it. Ill be checking my phone from time to time but will have to wait until I get home to watch any vids.

stickkidsam

Agreed. I know I'll have a lot of fun playing regardless. It's always a good time to be pumped about a new Halo. I'm at work right now. Sucks as I won't be able to stream it. Ill be checking my phone from time to time but will have to wait until I get home to watch any vids.
Same here. Was hoping my break would coordinate with Halo being revealed as an opener but instead they’ve got some robot talking about Bethesda and “family” lol
Oh well. Guess I’ll be blinded by majesty on mah lunch.

I just got home from work. Trying to catch up on what I missed. There is additional info coming out the next several days. Equipment has returned. BTB has returned. Better customization has returned. All these things make me pretty happy. Though I question the defense sensor that apparently gives away player locations within range. I prefer stuff that boosts your ability but not in cheap way. It gives me promethean vision vibes which I despise.

Piece by Joseph Staten on Xbox Wire:

More info coming on Monday via YouTube:

Last edited:

Pfhunkie

I never played Halo PC myself. The only maps I got a taste of were from TMCC. Was Infinity from CE or a later Halo?
It was a CE map. Here's a video of it

Halo Combat Evolved Infinity Map - YouTube

They've taken considerable liberties with it but the layout is there. The middle section of the map is where the ground is all broken up. From there, there are four routes in a looping X pattern back to both bases. The bases are exactly the same except they got rid of the smaller secondary base that used to house the flag. There are objects that are emitting green light where the teleporters were in the original, including near the bases and in the middle of the map. You can see at least two of the four routes from the middle in the trailer, as well. One of the core features from this map that's iconic are the sky bridges (like the one at the beginning of the second level of CE) that have apparently been replaced by mancannons on this version.

Really feeling like Halo doesn't know what to show or who it is right now or is just plain struggling for creativity. Chief close ups for campaign and one usual forest vista just doesn't put the wow factor front and centre. Multiplayer had some moments like the Valhalla/Infinity-esue map but overall came off looking like a mash up of art direction and bright fortnite style colours not throwing back to CE bright colours but CE anniversary's gaudy colour set.

I'll wait to see what the coming days bring but Xbox killed it for the show overall and I really enjoyed the range of games on offer, however, Halo fell flat on its face again IMO. Pretty fucking average, they showed fuck all, again. Nothing of the new mode, very little maps shown, no detail, poor art on the models etc. Christ just take the multiplayer aspect vs what they're currently up against in the marketplace with very similarly playing games such as Apex Legends. The characters have appeal, detail and well personality. The Spartans in the multi-video just look like some 10 year old customised them and selected random colours.

This looks great -

4k_infinite_mp_spartanlineup_watermarked-524ad6c8f5b84372a859ab0a32274926.png

This looks like shit -

haloinfinite_mp02_3840x2160-05e17254a3d24f178c5c31a797d9f1f9.png

Again the curated images look great, the actual in game shots look like ass and not just from a graphical standpoint but the actual creativity, art direction, personality etc.

Here's something that gives food for thought. Apex introduced a character called Fuse. This shows in real in game action curated from within the engine and gameplay, not manufactured like half of what 343 put out. There is night and day between what Respawn show and what 343 show. Perhaps the actual game is different and plays wonderfully but in terms of wowing an E3 audience 343 failed again.

EDIT: This one looks solid AF -

haloinfinite_mp05_3840x2160-f3233b2bb94241dfb11b4554877f99ae.png

Last edited:
It was a CE map. Here's a video of it

Halo Combat Evolved Infinity Map - YouTube

They've taken considerable liberties with it but the layout is there. The middle section of the map is where the ground is all broken up. From there, there are four routes in a looping X pattern back to both bases. The bases are exactly the same except they got rid of the smaller secondary base that used to house the flag. There are objects that are emitting green light where the teleporters were in the original, including near the bases and in the middle of the map. You can see at least two of the four routes from the middle in the trailer, as well. One of the core features from this map that's iconic are the sky bridges (like the one at the beginning of the second level of CE) that have apparently been replaced by mancannons on this version.
I think I did play that at least once in the CE BTB playlist, but having never played it before I just ran around blindly. If it's a good map then I'll for a remake/spiritual successor.
Really feeling like Halo doesn't know what to show or who it is right now or is just plain struggling for creativity. Chief close ups for campaign and one usual forest vista just doesn't put the wow factor front and centre. Multiplayer had some moments like the Valhalla/Infinity-esue map but overall came off looking like a mash up of art direction and bright fortnite style colours not throwing back to CE bright colours but CE anniversary's gaudy colour set.

I'll wait to see what the coming days bring but Xbox killed it for the show overall and I really enjoyed the range of games on offer, however, Halo fell flat on its face again IMO. Pretty fucking average, they showed fuck all, again. Nothing of the new mode, very little maps shown, no detail, poor art on the models etc. Christ just take the multiplayer aspect vs what they're currently up against in the marketplace with very similarly playing games such as Apex Legends. The characters have appeal, detail and well personality. The Spartans in the multi-video just look like some 10 year old customised them and selected random colours.

This looks great -

This looks like shit -

Again the curated images look great, the actual in game shots look like ass and not just from a graphical standpoint but the actual creativity, art direction, personality etc.

Here's something that gives food for thought. Apex introduced a character called Fuse. This shows in real in game action curated from within the engine and gameplay, not manufactured like half of what 343 put out. There is night and day between what Respawn show and what 343 show. Perhaps the actual game is different and plays wonderfully but in terms of wowing an E3 audience 343 failed again.

Yeah I can agree with a lot of what you are saying. I feel like 343 tried to give the spartans in Halo 5 life/character and failed. Hoping they can figure something out before release. Aside from the looks though I thought the game looked like it is shaping up to be major good times. 343 did a good job of showing some of the mayhem that is what made the earlier games so much fun. I just realized the spartan in green armor is actually camo lol. Thought it was just some ugly dirty look. I didn't watch the conference, but did see they are introducing bots into Halo. That's long been talked about. Not sure how I feel personally, but could be a good addition.

I don't' know why but I'm really excited to play through the campaign. I have literally no idea what to expect, so perhaps the feeling of exploration and discovery will click this time around. I hope we get some campaign info this week. Tomorrow, I'm looking forward to seeing more on multiplayer. Any thoughts on ray tracing? I wonder if they are still working on it or if it will still require a patch post-release.

Good quote from Joseph State here in that xbox wire article: "As we try new things and take risks, we’ll listen closely to the community to understand what players love and what we need to reexamine as we go forward. For the first time in franchise history, we’re getting a chance to really dig in and deliver new experiences for our players. Some things you might expect, like new maps and modes. But we might just have a few more surprises up our sleeves that you’ll see in the months following our launch this year."

Last edited:
I thought it looked better this time but my main complaint honestly is that they barely showed anything, AGAIN. It was like 5 minutes of footage overall. It felt like even to MS it was an afterthought as it was just sort of unceremoniously plopped into the middle of the show. It's like pulling teeth to get them to show this game and it's kind of starting to annoy me, especially since it releases in about 6 months max... assuming it doesn't get delayed again, which I kind of wouldn't be too surprised by at this point.

Tomorrow they're supposed to be showing off more multiplayer, I really hope it's just a full match without any bullshit editing or commentating, although that's probably unlikely to happen.

I think I did play that at least once in the CE BTB playlist, but having never played it before I just ran around blindly. If it's a good map then I'll for a remake/spiritual successor.

Yeah I can agree with a lot of what you are saying. I feel like 343 tried to give the spartans in Halo 5 life/character and failed. Hoping they can figure something out before release. Aside from the looks though I thought the game looked like it is shaping up to be major good times. 343 did a good job of showing some of the mayhem that is what made the earlier games so much fun. I just realized the spartan in green armor is actually camo lol. Thought it was just some ugly dirty look. I didn't watch the conference, but did see they are introducing bots into Halo. That's long been talked about. Not sure how I feel personally, but could be a good addition.

I don't' know why but I'm really excited to play through the campaign. I have literally no idea what to expect, so perhaps the feeling of exploration and discovery will click this time around. I hope we get some campaign info this week. Tomorrow, I'm looking forward to seeing more on multiplayer. Any thoughts on ray tracing? I wonder if they are still working on it or if it will still require a patch post-release.

Good quote from Joseph State here in that xbox wire article: "As we try new things and take risks, we’ll listen closely to the community to understand what players love and what we need to reexamine as we go forward. For the first time in franchise history, we’re getting a chance to really dig in and deliver new experiences for our players. Some things you might expect, like new maps and modes. But we might just have a few more surprises up our sleeves that you’ll see in the months following our launch this year."

Overall it looks like good multiplayer, that is a take away for sure. Looking at Staten's quote there, I have to ask what risk? I see no risk taken in anything they've shown. 343 just don't play with an open book and after 6 years and this E3 I'm still waiting for them to show the game.

I'm always excited for a new Halo, just want a stellar game on the levels of Destiny or Apex or Fallen Order and I'm not seeing anything of that ground breaking ilk. Perhaps they have more to show...when?

Havoc2049

Anyone else on here point out that one map in the multiplayer trailer that everyone thinks is Valhalla is actually Infinity from Halo PC? I feel like I'm going crazy.

✂️ Halo Infinite - Infinity Remake - YouTube
Good catch. I was thinking it was yet another Valhalla remake as well. Infinity was a fun map, especially for CTF. Played it a bunch on PC back in the day and even in BTB on MCC. Halo PC and Halo 2 Vista had some great exclusive BTB maps that had a great flow and were fun to play.

This looks great -

This looks like shit -

It’s the smudges and scratches and the way they added them that makes it look bad. Sometimes less is more and they should tone it down.

Last edited:
I will say, whoever is handling Chief in this is doing an excellent job. He looks phenomenal and the writing for him has been great, and that cutscene where he's flying through space has a lot of subtleties that I really like. A massive step up from 5 where he was pretty much a cardboard cutout of himself.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

I will say, whoever is handling Chief in this is doing an excellent job. He looks phenomenal and the writing for him has been great, and that cutscene where he's flying through space has a lot of subtleties that I really like. A massive step up from 5 where he was pretty much a cardboard cutout of himself.
So true. Every character in Halo 5 felt somewhat lifeless, except for maybe Buck.

I thought the multiplayer overview today was pretty awesome. I'm getting Bungie vibes... I'm geeked!

Last edited:

As much as I've bitched about what was shown for campaign so far I have to agree with what you're saying here. The details and subtleties make all the difference.

They said this comes in an event. I hope more events come with similar skins to this!
I'm bet that is exactly what they will do and they will continue to add more stuff to keep people playing.

Anyone have any thoughts on the multiplayer levels we have seen so far? Not to nitpick but I would love to get away from the realistic human buildings/structures and see more alien themed levels (whether that be covenant, forerunner, or something else.) It isn't a huge deal but I am kind of burned out on anything that looks remotely like call of duty or even battlefield. If you think back to CE there were almost zero ordinary levels. Blood Gulch or Battle Creek being the closest thing.

Also does it look like we can shoot while sprinting in this clip? Typically to shoot there is a slight delay when you come out of sprint, but this looks like they did away with it.

I'm bet that is exactly what they will do and they will continue to add more stuff to keep people playing.

Anyone have any thoughts on the multiplayer levels we have seen so far? Not to nitpick but I would love to get away from the realistic human buildings/structures and see more alien themed levels (whether that be covenant, forerunner, or something else.) It isn't a huge deal but I am kind of burned out on anything that looks remotely like call of duty or even battlefield. If you think back to CE there were almost zero ordinary levels. Blood Gulch or Battle Creek being the closest thing.

Also does it look like we can shoot while sprinting in this clip? Typically to shoot there is a slight delay when you come out of sprint, but this looks like they did away with it.

I hope we cannot sprint and shotgun at the same time. Small and indoor maps would become a total rush and shotgun fest.

I hope we cannot sprint and shotgun at the same time. Small and indoor maps would become a total rush and shotgun fest.
Yep agreed. I saw there was some discussion on resetera regarding the same concern. The good thing is that flighting will allow some feedback and 343 will have the option to tone things down if people don't like something.

Small exposition of some of the armor, vehicle, and maps shown in the multiplayer reveal. Not much, but appreciated all the same.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who's noticed that the campaign portion of the E3 presentation hasn't been uploaded to the official Xbox or Halo Youtube accounts... ?

Wonder what's up with that, it's kinda strange.

YukiOnna

Yeah, it's odd. They have 4K screens and on twitter mention to watch it from the Xbox Showcase VOD, but not a direct upload. Maybe we'll be getting a campaign demo video soon to follow up for it?

New theory on Mendicant Bias that also involves a post here on GAF by S Stinkles

So I watched most of the video but was having trouble following it. However, that triggered my thirst for some Halo lore and I started reading through Halopedia and Halo Fandom. I've also read the Forerunner Saga, but it's been long enough that I have forgotten a lot of it. Help me out. Mendicant Bias was the highest level of Ancilla and in charge of the Forerunner's defenses. And aren't ancillas usually imprints from composed humans or forerunners? Then that got me sidetracked and I was reading about the primordial. I always thought the primordial was a precursor although it seems possible he was just a gravemind created by the precursors. Is that correct or am I way out in left field?

EDIT: Also, if anyone is interested in watching the Halo Infinite section from the Xbox Games Showcase Extended episode on youtube, I have the link here:

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
So I watched most of the video but was having trouble following it. However, that triggered my thirst for some Halo lore and I started reading through Halopedia and Halo Fandom. I've also read the Forerunner Saga, but it's been long enough that I have forgotten a lot of it. Help me out. Mendicant Bias was the highest level of Ancilla and in charge of the Forerunner's defenses. And aren't ancillas usually imprints from composed humans or forerunners? Then that got me sidetracked and I was reading about the primordial. I always thought the primordial was a precursor although it seems possible he was just a gravemind created by the precursors. Is that correct or am I way out in left field?
Ancillas are just Forerunner AI. The Primordial is a mutated precursor, and probably the last surviving precursor of the galaxy.

Yeah, it's odd. They have 4K screens and on twitter mention to watch it from the Xbox Showcase VOD, but not a direct upload. Maybe we'll be getting a campaign demo video soon to follow up for it?
I really, really hope so.
Mendicant Bias was a Forerunner AI that eventually defected to the Flood. Offensive Bias was the AI they used to combat it.

A lot of people have noted that there's actually a lot of... parallels between that whole situation and what's happening in Infinite between Cortana and Clonetana. And there's theories that Mendicant and/or the Flood will show up and play into it, but I'm skeptical about that part.

YukiOnna

Also found it odd how it literally seamless transitions to gameplay and then fades out to an entirely different cutscene. Wanted to see that mission dammit.

Also found it odd how it literally seamless transitions to gameplay and then fades out to an entirely different cutscene. Wanted to see that mission dammit.
Yeah I really want them to start showing more of the campaign (among other things...) soon. Are there any other events coming up?

Ancillas are just Forerunner AI. The Primordial is a mutated precursor, and probably the last surviving precursor of the galaxy.

I really, really hope so.

Mendicant Bias was a Forerunner AI that eventually defected to the Flood. Offensive Bias was the AI they used to combat it.

A lot of people have noted that there's actually a lot of... parallels between that whole situation and what's happening in Infinite between Cortana and Clonetana. And there's theories that Mendicant and/or the Flood will show up and play into it, but I'm skeptical about that part.
Right but there are some that feel the primordial isn't actually a precursor. I get the part where the precursors basically offed themselves into precursor dust with the intention of that dust bringing them back some day (since the forerunners were hunting them all down). The dust was corrupted however and instead we got the flood? And the primordial very much resembles the flood and a gravemind. I think the primordial could be a precursor reborn from the corrupted remains of precursors. With the way precursors and the flood retain information the primordial would likely know everything from the past. There are a few that believe gravemind in Halo 3 is the primordial. I thought it was super interesting. I know it's extremely unlikely but I really want infinite to give us more answers to the past. This is what happens when I start digging into Halo lore. It may be time to reread the forerunner saga.

Also I think it's cool that players in the razorback can stand up and shoot. Would be a fun game to drive around with a sniper rifle or any weapon for that matter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom