A Halogaf Community Thread: The Old Becomes New

Aug 29, 2007
Land of the OKC Thunder

Reactions: CyberPanda

RSB

Feb 15, 2009
Five years between Halo 5 and Infinite is just too much. I'm willing to forgive it this time because of the new engine, it being a spiritual reboot and all that, but this cannot happen again. Three years between games, with at least one big story expansion in between (think ODST) is what 343 should aim for from now on.

I need more Halo ok?

Aug 29, 2007
Land of the OKC Thunder
Five years between Halo 5 and Infinite is just too much. I'm willing to forgive it this time because of the new engine, it being a spiritual reboot and all that, but this cannot happen again. Three years between games, with at least one big story expansion in between (think ODST) is what 343 should aim for from now on.

I need more Halo ok?
I agree. It is a looooong time. To non-fans of halo, all they see is halo wars, tmcc, a Halo arcade game, a trailer for halo infinite 2 years in a row, and I feel like it is all getting lumped together when they complain about there being too many halo games. They don't really differentiate between the genres and the collection of older games. They don't realize that it will be 5 years since the last true entry in the franchise. Yet here we are starving for a new mainline halo game lol.

Aug 29, 2007
Land of the OKC Thunder
I really am going to bed I promise lol. Did you guys see how many job openings 343 has? I wonder is that a good or bad thing or pretty normal for the industry?

CyberPanda

Gold Member
Mar 4, 2019

I need more Halo ok?
It won’t take that long again cause they have a built a brand new engine, and their team size since then has exponentially increased.

I really am going to bed I promise lol. Did you guys see how many job openings 343 has? I wonder is that a good or bad thing or pretty normal for the industry?

People come and go in any game development studio, but they are hiring more because they want more Halo’s made at a faster rate.

Reactions: Deputy Moonman
Aug 29, 2007
Land of the OKC Thunder
So I've been slowly playing through Halo 2's campaign on legendary while at the same time trying to make sure i get the par scores. It's an absolute total pain. I've almost finished though. I have all done except for High Charity and the Great Journey. So I finish High Charity this morning and I missed the par score (9000) by less than 100 points lol. So I turned on some some more skulls and hopefully I can redo the level without too much trouble. It's pretty short thankfully. Then all i have left is The Great Journey. What I've found is that any levels with vehicles are super easy to get the par score because you get so many points for destroying everything when you're in a vehicle - and it's harder to get sniped by the stupid jackals.
It won’t take that long again cause they have a built a brand new engine, and their team size since then has exponentially increased.

People come and go in any game development studio, but they are hiring more because they want more Halo’s made at a faster rate.
Cue more Halo complaining by people who don't like Halo :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Sycomunkee

Jan 21, 2019
Sorry for multiple posts in a row but I love hiddenxperia's excitement for Infinite and he touches on a few more things from the trailer.

Edit: TMCC latest adjustments/fixes

I bet those beam towers are "Fast Travel" locations and those floating islands are the Halo being repaired. I think we are looking at an open world Halo here. If anyone remembers the Halo 5 concept art, I feel like that's what they were trying to do but couldn't, and that's how we got a shitty Halo 5.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2007
Land of the OKC Thunder
So I did restart high charity last night. Got through it with no trouble this time and got the par score. I just added the skull where you restart if you die and kept save reloading any time I bit the dust lol. I'm running through the great journey right now and skipped a bunch to get to Tartarus. I have the par score but my score bonus is ticking away. Scared if I don't kill him off quickly enough I won't get the par score. Does anyone know if you get some points for defeating Tartarus?
I bet those beam towers are "Fast Travel" locations and those floating islands are the Halo being repaired. I think we are looking at an open world Halo here. If anyone remembers the Halo 5 concept art, I feel like that's what they were trying to do but couldn't, and that's how we got a shitty Halo 5.
Yep I agree. Not sure about the beam towers but interested to find out.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2007
Land of the OKC Thunder
Hey so from one or the previous community updates Ske7ch talked about about how surprised he was by the scale of the upcoming June TMCC update. We are halfway through June so that update has to come out next week or the week after. I wonder what it could be. I've been wanting better online post game stats for Halo CE. Right now you barely get any info. Just the score and your personal kill info. Regardless, can't wait for the update.

h00ters

Jul 17, 2013
Melbourne, Australia

I need more Halo ok?
One of the things they said a while back is that they're taking much longer on this one to create the Slipspace Engine in the hope that they will be able to produce more, higher quality Halo games out at a quicker rate going forward.

Aug 29, 2007
Land of the OKC Thunder
I had some more fun in TMCC last night. Or more like getting my butt kicked in multiple games only to salvage the night with this Killtacular/Overkill.

One of the things they said a while back is that they're taking much longer on this one to create the Slipspace Engine in the hope that they will be able to produce more, higher quality Halo games out at a quicker rate going forward.
I hope that proves true. I can beat around the bush all I want, but halo is why I buy Xbox consoles. If Halo didn't exist I would be exclusively a Nintendo fan lol. I just don't get excited about Sony games (maybe next gen?). So I wish I could fast forward to Fall 2020 right now! That isn't to say that I haven't enjoyed a lot of Xbox games though. Ori was straight fire and I had a lot of fun in Sunset Overdrive. Back in the 360 days I also dabbled in some Gears matchmaking.

Last edited:
Reactions: Havoc2049

h00ters

Jul 17, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
I hope that proves true. I can beat around the bush all I want, but halo is why I buy Xbox consoles. If Halo didn't exist I would be exclusively a Nintendo fan lol. I just don't get excited about Sony games (maybe next gen?). So I wish I could fast forward to Fall 2020 right now! That isn't to say that I haven't enjoyed a lot of Xbox games though. Ori was straight fire and I had a lot of fun in Sunset Overdrive. Back in the 360 days I also dabbled in some Gears matchmaking.
Yeah completely agree. As Halo has deteriorated so has my enthusiasm for Xbox. I've dabbled in a fair bit of Switch but I'm mainly playing on PC now which is where all my friends have migrated to. I gamed exclusively on 360 last gen because Halo was still strong and there was an active community around it. Hoping it can be restored to that. And for God's sake Microsoft, please pack a microphone into every box this time.

keyblade zero

Neo Member
Jun 16, 2019
man look at all this halo hype. i'm so glad i joined this board right now haha. i've been back on halo 5 after all the e3 excitement, and i swear i like it better than i did when it first came out. it's also got a sick throwback playlist on right now that i can't get enough of. it's got that 'one more match' feel again.

• Fire

stickkidsam

Jan 7, 2018
Is anyone else blown away by the Anniversary Playlist in Halo 5? Like holy SHIT do the abilities in Halo 5 work well with the old map design. Speaking of map design, the Forge in Halo 5 continues to amaze me with the level of detail being pumped out. From map remakes to new ones all together, there is so much detail and room for creativity. I haven't really touched it myself since I haven't studied in the Library of the Cartographers, but damn does it tickle my interest.

Can't wait to see what Halo Infinite is like in terms of game modes, but Forge certainly has my interest. It'd be nice to see Theater expanded, maybe given the ability to make multiple cuts within a single clip? Most of all though, please don't be always online. C'mon 343, you've really been turning things around over the past couple years. Let's get some offline capabilities in this bitch! Screw the DRM!

Yeah i'm kind of bummed overall. Just nothing that i expected at e3 happened. That we got another Halo trailer and no game footage is really depressing. I thought or hoped we would have all sorts of stuff to talk about after E3. Turns out, there isn't anything to talk about lol. And what was with all the hints about big surprises? I feel like, at least in regards to Halo, there was literally nothing new, nothing surprising whatsoever. The lego tweets had nothing to do with Halo, but were hints at the Forza Horizon 4 expansion. That megaconstrux tweet was not a tease or hint, but just a general tweet looking foward to Halo news.

About the only thing to discuss is where and when Halo Infinite takes place. They lost? Does that mean cortana destroyed everyone from Halo 5? Was the broken ring installation 07? That was where a lot of people speculated Infinite would take place. Most likely that trailer took place midway or even over halfway through the game's campaign. Oh well. Really sad and now we have to wait over a year for release on top of everything else. At this point it wouldn't surprise if at next year's E3 we get yet another trailer instead of game footage. They'll just release the game one day and you'll have to see the footage for yourself. Microsoft does not know how to deliver on hype, expectations, and momentum.
There there good buddy. We'll get some gameplay soon. Maybe. Probably not... from what I understand though it seems they went ahead and left a lot of little easter eggs via super small numbers and whatnot. So perhaps we'll get some kind of tease for gameplay or even better, a beta date. Please let us have a nice Christmas!!

It is pretty lame though. It was really great to finally see Chief again, but man I couldn't help but be bummed out that they didn't bother showing us Chief do what he does best. Not even a hint of what enemies we'll be facing. Probably Covenant enslaved by Cortana and more Prometheans.... man I hate those things. Just them being somehow a Forerunner construct? It just doesn't fit with anything Forerunner that we've seen. Anyway, I'd be pretty blown away if they actually bring back the flood or even maybe the precursors; perhaps both? See us get some team action up on this new blue bitch claiming to be my hologram waifu? Ahhhh who am I kidding. No way could things get THAT cool.

• LOL
Aug 29, 2007
Land of the OKC Thunder
man look at all this halo hype. i'm so glad i joined this board right now haha. i've been back on halo 5 after all the e3 excitement, and i swear i like it better than i did when it first came out. it's also got a sick throwback playlist on right now that i can't get enough of. it's got that 'one more match' feel again.
Welcome! I haven't been on Halo 5 in a while. I'm working days this week which makes it harder for me to play, but I'm hoping that the playlist is still going and has plenty of people in it a week from Tuesday, when I switch back to nights. I'll give it a go.
Is anyone else blown away by the Anniversary Playlist in Halo 5? Like holy SHIT do the abilities in Halo 5 work well with the old map design. Speaking of map design, the Forge in Halo 5 continues to amaze me with the level of detail being pumped out. From map remakes to new ones all together, there is so much detail and room for creativity. I haven't really touched it myself since I haven't studied in the Library of the Cartographers, but damn does it tickle my interest.

Can't wait to see what Halo Infinite is like in terms of game modes, but Forge certainly has my interest. It'd be nice to see Theater expanded, maybe given the ability to make multiple cuts within a single clip? Most of all though, please don't be always online. C'mon 343, you've really been turning things around over the past couple years. Let's get some offline capabilities in this bitch! Screw the DRM!

There there good buddy. We'll get some gameplay soon. Maybe. Probably not... from what I understand though it seems they went ahead and left a lot of little easter eggs via super small numbers and whatnot. So perhaps we'll get some kind of tease for gameplay or even better, a beta date. Please let us have a nice Christmas!!

It is pretty lame though. It was really great to finally see Chief again, but man I couldn't help but be bummed out that they didn't bother showing us Chief do what he does best. Not even a hint of what enemies we'll be facing. Probably Covenant enslaved by Cortana and more Prometheans.... man I hate those things. Just them being somehow a Forerunner construct? It just doesn't fit with anything Forerunner that we've seen. Anyway, I'd be pretty blown away if they actually bring back the flood or even maybe the precursors; perhaps both? See us get some team action up on this new blue bitch claiming to be my hologram waifu? Ahhhh who am I kidding. No way could things get THAT cool.
Yeah I really hope we get a beta in December, but I would anticipate it being February :(

The next chance for updates/announcements aside from direct announcements from 343 on halowaypoint:

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: stickkidsam

stickkidsam

Jan 7, 2018
I understand why people wouldn't think they'd reveal gameplay outside of E3, but I wouldn't put it past 343. They've got an entire con of their own don't they? What better way to hype up interest than to show off gameplay via some "ultra-exclusive" Halo hosted hotspot? Only press get to see it at first, there's a gameinformer cover story (it doesn't have to compete at E3 with Gods such as FFVII Remake), and then fans are given a beta tease via a Halo Infinite RvB reel. Boom. Cash money millionaire bITCH.

not that I'm expecting anything *shrug*

Welcome! I haven't been on Halo 5 in a while. I'm working days this week which makes it harder for me to play, but I'm hoping that the playlist is still going and has plenty of people in it a week from Tuesday, when I switch back to nights. I'll give it a go.
If ya don't mind the occasional debauchery and loud mouth disbelief, feel free to hit me up for some Halo. I too hadn't played Halo 5 in well... years, and it's Multiplayer is on an ENTIRELY different level now in terms of map variety (albeit Forge made but damn does it look good), game modes, and there's even a custom browser which just... *Patchajustright.jpg*. When you get those aim settings right, throw on your groove, and CRANK that music to 11, you're gonna feel like a god damn space rock star. Sprinkle some space crack on your controller before each match if ya want that "authentic" experience though ;p

Aug 29, 2007
Land of the OKC Thunder
I understand why people wouldn't think they'd reveal gameplay outside of E3, but I wouldn't put it past 343. They've got an entire con of their own don't they? What better way to hype up interest than to show off gameplay via some "ultra-exclusive" Halo hosted hotspot? Only press get to see it at first, there's a gameinformer cover story (it doesn't have to compete at E3 with Gods such as FFVII Remake), and then fans are given a beta tease via a Halo Infinite RvB reel. Boom. Cash money millionaire bITCH.

not that I'm expecting anything *shrug*

If ya don't mind the occasional debauchery and loud mouth disbelief, feel free to hit me up for some Halo. I too hadn't played Halo 5 in well... years, and it's Multiplayer is on an ENTIRELY different level now in terms of map variety (albeit Forge made but damn does it look good), game modes, and there's even a custom browser which just... *Patchajustright.jpg*. When you get those aim settings right, throw on your groove, and CRANK that music to 11, you're gonna feel like a god damn space rock star. Sprinkle some space crack on your controller before each match if ya want that "authentic" experience though ;p
Yeah I'm down. Is your gamertag the same as gaf? I can't remember if i added you before. It has been a long time so I'm likely to be really terrible.