• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Halogaf Community Thread: The Old Becomes New

Hopefully ray tracing will be in at launch too.

It's interesting that they just say "2021" in their statement and that's it. No timeframe at all. I wonder when exactly we're gonna get another look at it, and exactly how different it'll look graphically.

Hopefully ray tracing will be in at launch too.

It's interesting that they just say "2021" in their statement and that's it. No timeframe at all. I wonder when exactly we're gonna get another look at it, and exactly how different it'll look graphically.
At this point I would just expect 2021 to mean September to November. Not even going to pretend it will come out sooner. Because of the delay it better have raytracing and everything on release. I don't think that is too much to ask. While I'm disappointed, but what's another year after having waited 5...

EDIT: on another note, it amazes me how many people who don't even game on xbox are in the gaming side thread. Not even an attempt at hiding their glee over the news when they're not even fans of halo. Kind of sad, really. I just don't have time to waste going into Sony threads and doing the same thing when similar things happen. Ah well.

Last edited:
At this point I would just expect 2021 to mean September to November. Not even going to pretend it will come out sooner. Because of the delay it better have raytracing and everything on release. I don't think that is too much to ask. While I'm disappointed, but what's another year after having waited 5...

EDIT: on another note, it amazes me how many people who don't even game on xbox are in the gaming side thread. Not even an attempt at hiding their glee over the news when they're not even fans of halo. Kind of sad, really. I just don't have time to waste going into Sony threads and doing the same thing when similar things happen. Ah well.

Well, I think they should delay it however long it needs. If it comes out and is a ME Andromeda/Anthem/Fallout 76 level disaster, shit is going to get ugly quick. But if it's going to be an extended period of time (like, more than 4-6 months) I really think they should consider delaying the console as well.

And I think people are just wondering what's going on at MS. IMO they were doing a pretty good job with the surprise VGA console reveal and everything following that, but it just seems like ever since the May show they've been fumbling the ball and shooting themselves in the foot.

Last edited:
I've gone a decade without a good Halo game, I can wait another year for Halo Infinite. Polish it and make it blow everyone away like it should have this year.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I've gone a decade without a good Halo game, I can wait another year for Halo Infinite. Polish it and make it blow everyone away like it should have this year.
It's likely not even close to being ready. Someone from upper management probably FINALLY decided to take a very close look at the project, was petrified with disbelief at the horrendous effort, and was forced to call the higher ups saying there's no way we can sell this

343i is notorious for being the least imaginative, most incompetent group of "game developers" in recent memory. I've essentially lost hope for the game, unfortunately. I know 343i's history too well, the're nothing but a company full of clowns thinking they're making Halo games. There hasn't been a Halo game since 2007

I know people say they like the new artstyle but tbh I'm not feeling it. The guns looks like plastic toys, the brutes look like they got lego for armor, the phantom is the worst design for a phantom in the series history, basically the only stuff that looks good is the designs they copied from Bungie's games. The new pistol and shotgun look like they came out of call of duty, not Halo.

If it was upto me the delay wouldn't be just to polish the graphics, I'd change a lot of shit.

It's likely not even close to being ready. Someone from upper management probably FINALLY decided to take a very close look at the project, was petrified with disbelief at the horrendous effort, and was forced to call the higher ups saying there's no way we can sell this

343i is notorious for being the least imaginative, most incompetent group of "game developers" in recent memory. I've essentially lost hope for the game, unfortunately. I know 343i's history too well, the're nothing but a company full of clowns thinking they're making Halo games. There hasn't been a Halo game since 2007

The thing I'm wondering is if they really did think everything was A-OK until they got roasted for the gameplay reveal a few weeks back. Like, did they really look at the grass popping in and out, clouds popping in and out, Brute facial expression, janky Phantom flight pathing, and go "Yep, looks good!" It seems like they were legitimately caught off guard by the reaction.

I really think 343's leadership needs to be shaken up. In a big way. It's pretty obvious there's some gross mismanagement going on and has been for a while now.

Havoc2049

The thing that sucks is that many in the community have been saying 343 needs new management since the MCC launch shyt show and still nothing has been done. Even with the extra time, I’m expecting an average Halo at best with Infinity. Microsoft has fucked up by constantly parading 343 management to the press as some great gift to humanity, all the while Halo is crumbling around them, and now they have backed themselves into a corner. Keep 343 management or fire them, they will have egg on their face.

A couple weeks back I saw a quick little 15 second teaser trailer/commercial for Infinity on YouTube and it felt and looked even worse than the gameplay reveal. It looked corny and kiddie as fuck. It looked like 343 was marketing a FPS to kids. 343 has no clue about Halo and it feels like the studio is being run by a bunch of clueless Wiimote wielding soccer moms. I knew we were fucked when I was reading an interview of Bonnie Ross and she was asked what her favorite game was besides Halo and her answer was Tetris.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Speaking of 343 shitshows, is anyone having problems with MCC? I haven't been able to get into MP for a few days now. It just stays at "contacting server for matchmaking update." This is on Xbox.

stickkidsam

God dayum... okay ya know I am just feeling more and more optimistic about this game.

I believe Nintendo man said it best

MEexIRI.png

I hope the networking gets some attention for ODST firefight. Playing coop campaign again is a real pain for the lockstep networking still present. I hope 343 rework FF netcode big time, I fear they won't go far enough with it judging by the other campaign titles not receiving big netcode changes.

SCB3

I hope the networking gets some attention for ODST firefight. Playing coop campaign again is a real pain for the lockstep networking still present. I hope 343 rework FF netcode big time, I fear they won't go far enough with it judging by the other campaign titles not receiving big netcode changes.

I feel like sorting the network stuff for Firefight will also sort the campaign as well, very similar stuff to fix

SCB3

The fuck? I'd been so caught up with Infinite I hadn't been following this at all. All the shit they're adding looks crazy.

Yep the best version of a season pass thing going on as well imo, rewarded for just playing, can choose rewards when you want and from previous seasons, gives me some hope for Infinites inevitable Season pass

Wow. The nerve of banning from matchmaking after the shit job that matchmaking does of making fair games. I'm banned from matchmaking after quitting a game where I'm just constantly spawn killed (third game in a row)? Cool. Deleted. I've played Halo since Halo 1, but MCC has been hot garbage since it launched. I guess I should be grateful that it can even find multiplayer games, it couldn't at launch and for several years it barely even worked. I hope everyone involved in Halo MCC was fired.

cc: S Stinkles - your game sucks

/end rant

Last edited:
Wow. The nerve of banning from matchmaking after the shit job that matchmaking does of making fair games. I'm banned from matchmaking after quitting a game where I'm just constantly spawn killed (third game in a row)? Cool. Deleted. I've played Halo since Halo 1, but MCC has been hot garbage since it launched. I guess I should be grateful that it can even find multiplayer games, it couldn't at launch and for several years it barely even worked. I hope everyone involved in Halo MCC was fired.

cc: S Stinkles - your game sucks

/end rant

I have to agree they've implemented the banhammer with zero actual real world testing. Honestly they don't play their own game in the wild or they'd notice the shitshow of bans and its impact to the gaming experience. Much like your example, I've had multiple games in objective where the usual offenders quit in the 1st or 2nd round and you're left in a losing game with only 1, 2 or 3 players on your team (as more quit and take the ban). Why the fuck should I be punished when 3 of 4 have quit on my team already? I get a temp bank for that? It happens quite often. The new matchmaking features for region selection and cross play should enable better matching of player skills, parties and generally improve game quality. Shit should have been there back when MCC launched 5 years ago.

Another aspect that shows they really don't play and test their own matchmaking systems in the wild is when you get booted from a search for sitting idle while finding players. If I've set my filters for H2, H2A & H3 for flag/bomb only and searching from Australia it's going to take awhile. Why boot me from the search queue within 60 seconds of not touching my controller? It's fucking stupid.

I get you B brokenwatch MCC had all the promise in the world but the people in charge of the development goals, matchmaking systems and also the pool of maps/gametypes are shit at their jobs TBH. It's fucking up MCC. I've literally quit the entire game session on multiple days in the last week alone because I've had it with the poor matchmaking weighting, worse region support and the oh so shitty ban hammer implementation. While I agree 343 needed to get strict with quitters the way they've implemented is to broad and simply underlines how little they understand their own player habits and the game experience itself.

The dev staff in charge of these systems need to actually play their game like real players not just in a lab test environment. The matchmaking support staff in charge of matchmaking pools/weights/gametypes need to pull their head out of Forge's arse and esports wannabe weights. Classic fucking Halo should be what MCC is about and you literally can't even get to play shit like burial mounds or coagulation like ever.

Last edited:
Got into the flight on Xbox (for some reason it didn't come through on PC), gotta say it's pretty surreal to be using a BR in ODST Firefight. That was like my dream back when it first released and its removal was sort of controversial at the time.

Other than that, all the added customization options are of course very nice. Haven't tried matchmaking yet, but I hope it works well because the lack of MM for Firefight was another controversy back then. Oh and it looks like they added the challenge hub to the pause menu in-game, which thank god because it was pretty annoying not being able to access it while playing.

Last edited:
Region filters can't come soon enough. 5 Aussies in this game, I know I chatted with them. The region selected for Azure? Southeast Asia. What a fucking joke 343, should never happen.

y2JP6yw.png

For reference Aussies were - TimDJones, Slurpy, Choco, KevRudd & myself. RPM could have been an Aussie too, he quit at the start.

Last edited:

Pfhunkie

Region filters can't come soon enough. 5 Aussies in this game, I know I chatted with them. The region selected for Azure? Southeast Asia. What a fucking joke 343, should never happen.

y2JP6yw.png

For reference Aussies were - TimDJones, Slurpy, Choco, KevRudd & myself. RPM could have been an Aussie too, he quit at the start.
Have an Aussie friend that has completely quit because of how bad most games are when they’re hosted on servers anywhere else. Definitely sad.

Crazy news. It seems you can't even blink these days without potentially missing something related to Halo lol. So what can he do realistically? He is there to help with campaign for a game that releases next year? Just doesn't seem like a whole lot of time.

Crazy news. It seems you can't even blink these days without potentially missing something related to Halo lol. So what can he do realistically? He is there to help with campaign for a game that releases next year? Just doesn't seem like a whole lot of time.

Probably just help pull things together. Doubt he's going to completely scrap and redo everything like some folks seem to think, or else it'd get pushed even further than 2021. A lot of game dev comes together in the home stretch so that's likely what he's there for. I dunno what exactly the result will be, but he's one of the most talented people in the industry so his inclusion at the very least won't hurt. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Gotta say though, I really think they shoulda done this earlier. IMO he should've been brought in and put in a high-ranking position at 343 as soon as he left Bungie. Same goes for guys like Marty and Eric Nylund.

diffusionx

Gold Member
So Halo MCC has not been tracking multiplayer stats (for achievements, etc.) for about a month now. Nice work 343, assholes.

Last edited:
So Halo MCC has not been tracking multiplayer stats (for achievements, etc.) for about a month now. Nice work 343, assholes.

Halo and not unlocking cheevos has a long history together.

Also can't wait for the region filter update to go live. I read something the other day that has me worried though, along the lines of "will not allow just one region to be selected to stop rank boosting". What the fuck is that. If I can't select just Australia...

Thanks for linking. I read the article and I'm guessing people were making fun of the Diversity & Inclusivity Initiative part. Personally, I think all of the companies pushing that narrative are a bit over the top and pandering to all of the media virtue signaling, but worse are the people sending toxic, hateful messages about it. Like just let it go. 343's intentions are good, whether I think it's more divisive than helpful. Meh.

Promoting anything about the studio or game right now appears a bit self serving to me e.g. you just blew the launch of next gen, perhaps heads down and get to work first. Xbox media at the moment has such a diverse line up of games and studios perhaps we could hear from them instead for while? I'm sure there's a ton of interesting people outside of 343 too.

Probably a pipedream, but since we've already heard there's a bajillion studios working on this game, fuck it:

I wonder if it's possible id could assist on Infinite, in light of today's megaton news. If not the launch game, then post-game content.

At the very least some sort of Halo/Doom crossover needs to happen, and something is seriously wrong if it doesn't.

Probably a pipedream, but since we've already heard there's a bajillion studios working on this game, fuck it:

I wonder if it's possible id could assist on Infinite, in light of today's megaton news. If not the launch game, then post-game content.

At the very least some sort of Halo/Doom crossover needs to happen, and something is seriously wrong if it doesn't.
I wouldn't expect much, Halo Infinite will probably have some Doom guy armor you can pay for in the multiplayer.

Top Bottom