• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Hat in Time has a trans flag in it

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
giphy.gif

Since when gaming discussions became so god damn "political"!!?

Viliger

As opposed to where you jerk off women with dicks while talking about how amazing and progressive you are?
This is your brain on /pol/, people. If you are not with us, you are against us.
Noone gives a shit about fucking flag hidden in a sewer of all places. I mean, insane people on both camps care, but I am not one of them. I finished the DLC yesterday, haven't seen any flags, found it enjoyable, end of story. Shitheads like you are the reason I can't discuss this game anymore, first it was the Bow Kid as "an example of forced representation", now it's this shitshow.

brap

Banned
This is your brain on /pol/, people. If you are not with us, you are against us.
Noone gives a shit about fucking flag hidden in a sewer of all places. I mean, insane people on both camps care, but I am not one of them. I finished the DLC yesterday, haven't seen any flags, found it enjoyable, end of story. Shitheads like you are the reason I can't discuss this game anymore, first it was the Bow Kid as "an example of forced representation", now it's this shitshow.
>everybody I don't like is /pol/
>i'm too cool to care about things
ok mr. cool centrist

d0a.png

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
You sound upset.

Ok. Don't care. A Hat In Time developers are good in my book for not removing JonTron from the game. Considering the hate they got from those 3 lines, I don't see the problem with them personally wanting to include a trans flag. Since so few have noticed it, it can't be called virtue signaling nor did it express itself as a big political push. They seemingly included it because they wanted to and not for cheap attention or from pressure. It's okay to bring politics into games and especially in a seemingly earnest context like this that doesn't try to rile people up in a polarized fashion. Perhaps it's something that was important for the developer. It's sweet and not even in your face, unless you just get triggered by the visibility of transgenderism or if you're some crazy looney that thinks seeing a transgender flag will turn their kids gay or trans. Previously there's even been transgender characters in games without people caring much.

I feel like people are getting overly sensitive and caught up in some "culture war" and losing perspective. The amount of people that somehow got upset at TLoU2 trailer as well shows this. There's a difference between alienating someone and including someone. More so, when the developer themselves add it without there being outside pressure or attention grab, then it's the developer I'll defend. Consumers can of course bitch about not liking a direction taken in a fictional work, but exerting pressure and mob mentality on a creator is just ridiculous. Maybe if you had a financial bond to the creator, that'd be easier to consider. But outrage crowds attempting being formed when developers/publishers just create something or choose something, is ridiculous. This oversensitivity needs to be brought down on both sides.

PS: My daughter loves the game and I hope there'll be a sequel.

Noone gives a shit about fucking flag hidden in a sewer of all places.

Eh, depends, is this flag planted by Shia LaBeouf? :pie_thinking:

Also, "brain on /pol/", like even if I personally feel like its percentage of actual white nationalists or nazis have increased, /pol/ is still just driven by a edgy larping meta. From /pol/ you know what to expect and it's mostly edgelords that love the freedom to be the edgiest as they can be and say the n word. I do miss the more libertarian focus and I prefer when it mixes things up, because the nazi/white nationalist thing gets stale fast. Black humor is fun as long as it's shocking, which is why I barely take a quick look at /pol/ once a month (the white nationalist can be funny, especially as it often takes a self-deprecating tone, or when it goes into the ridiculous line of "true white"). Luckily there's some posters who larp communists, feminist, zionist or black nationalist, that manage to make me giggle. What scares me is YouTube comments or facebook comments. If you see something on /pol/ it's "oh yeah that's expected" and you get the possible context considering the board, but if you see it on YouTube comments you definitely feel like something crazy is brewing up.
Anyways, I don't think "brain on /pol/" is the apt description at all, because it has very little to do with /pol/ and just shows you are part of the same polarization/tribal groups that you accused brap brap of. While brap brap didn't help by replying with a personal attack, you also started the personal attack. You thereby defined the thread starter as "the other", whereupon he replied by putting you also in "the other" box, both of you depending on stereotypes.

Last edited:

GreenAlien

Well.. It's a wall graffiti, a pretty low effort one for sure and A hat in Time isn't The Division 2, so it doesn't fit that well, but... on it's own, it's not really a big deal, you have to be familiar with it to recognize it anyway.. Personally, I thought it was an austrian flag with a blue background...

tenor.gif
* typical trans.
Completely unnecessary smear and targeted at the wrong people. You should have aimed at the developers at least.

Last edited:

Wink

You got it all wrong. It's clearly a washed out austrian flag on a light blue background. Hitler was born there, Hat in Time stays true to its nazi routes and gosh there are some clowns on this forum.

Some off-topic observation.
English is my 2nd language, had it in high school (2002-2005). There are many words and expressions that came up recently and 80% of them I have trouble understanding (cis male? gender fluid? various privilages). Is English rappidly evolving or are some groupations making there own Klingon language?

Geki-D

Banned
English is my 2nd language, had it in high school (2002-2005). There are many words and expressions that came up recently and 80% of them I have trouble understanding (cis male? gender fluid? various privilages). Is English rappidly evolving or are some groupations making there own Klingon language?
Besides cis, all of those words are pretty basic common in the English language and always have been, Google is your friend for expressions... What is your native tongue?

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
No, you’re just normal.

And it’s devolving.

mcjmetroid

I think it's unfortunate some of you guys are full hating on trans people in general. It's all a bit of fun from my part with my jokes earlier but I can't shake the feeling some of you just don't like trans people.

You need to understand that like every group 90% of trans people don't act like the wreckheads you see online.

This goes for all minorities or culture groups etc. Most black people I've met don't call out racism wherever they are, gay people are not always prissy morons, all vegans are not shoving their diet in your face etc.

The trans people I've met in real life are all lovely people who actually make light of the situation themselves. Certainly not the crazy people online counting genders and the like.

What you see online are the dark side, the losers who would be fuck heads even if they we're straight gay or whatever. Clearly those people are socially inept and hence live their lives on the internet.

I think it's unfortunate some of you guys are full hating on trans people in general. It's all a bit of fun from my part with my jokes earlier but I can't shake the feeling some of you just don't like trans people.

You need to understand that like every group 90% of trans people don't act like the wreckheads you see online.

This goes for all minorities or culture groups etc. Most black people I've met don't call out racism wherever they are, gay people are not always prissy morons, all vegans are not shoving their diet in your face etc.

The trans people I've met in real life are all lovely people who actually make light of the situation themselves. Certainly not the crazy people online counting genders and the like.

What you see online are the dark side, the losers who would be fuck heads even if they we're straight gay or whatever. Clearly those people are socially inept and hence live their lives on the internet.

You've said it better than I could.

I can't really get behind all the trans bashing in this thread.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
There will be a AAA game in the next few years about a straight white male falling in love with a transgirl. It will have a very touching scene of him sucking her penis. It will get more critical acclaim than TLOU.

You can't suck her penis. There are no chicks with dicks, only men with tits.

What do you mean YOU GUYS? 😤

Most people here don't really care about the trans issue or trans people at all, I'd say. There's just a few people who are obsessed with it. Usually it's the people that are a part of a culture war, where they view everything as either-or. You have participants from both sides. Usually it's an ideological issue for them, whereupon they act as authoritarians, wanting their perspective to be the only relevant one. This is often done out of fear and sincere belief. That's why you get paranoia and thinking everything is an attack from the other side. That's why you have people on one "side" freaking out about a flag and people on the other "side" freaking out about a frog or an okay sign. Each side believes themselves superior to the other. Funny enough, both sides agree on the malleability of society, which is why they struggle. I wouldn't say there's a problem with people like this, but if everyone ends up polarized, then often what happens is conflict will define everything. Polarization is also a self-feeding mechanism. Once people start getting polarized, the group and the perspectives of the group will try to get you to conform to it. Everything will be viewed through the lense of the group, even if you started from a different point along a spectrum. Either-or. Good vs evil. Everything turning into a struggle for power.

Generally most people on the internet and in real life would have benefit of actually talking to people and hang around them. Often it dissolves the tribes and groups we attribute to, and the political issues often become less relevant. When you are on the internet you don't have to see people as the individuals they are. Not necessarily the case in real life either, but usually when you honestly try to understand someone else and don't outright dismiss them, then it's easier to gain a mutual understanding and respect, even if one ideologically disagrees. Understanding people is hard, it requires us to face our prejudice, it requires us to make some effort. Blind acceptance or rejection is much easier. For people polarized in groups this can take a strange cognitive dissonance, in which they see an issue and say "that's good", but then the group will inform them about why it's not good and reel you into the proper take.

This also regards people here. People are always more than we think they are, something I experience daily here, constantly learning more about the people that I first drew very simple prejudice about.
And it's easy to gang up on someone if you have numbers and shut someone out because they had an opinion you didn't like. Unpopular opinions are always vulnerable and the terror of the majority always needs to be held back, which is why most western democracies have mechanisms to ensure the safety and freedom of the minority and most of all, the right of the individual. Ultimately the thing that connects us is that we are all individuals made out of many traits and experiences and history, we all have our different circumstances. While our brains try to sort the complex reality into something smaller and understandable, in order to function, we should always seek to understand that we are always more than the box we are put in.
Since we are shut in our conscience, since we have this barrier defining us and others, since we can't know what everyone's thinking, we have to talk. Humans learn through social interaction and through that process of alienation we also define ourselves further. This gap between people, this drive towards others bring us happiness and sorrow. Humans always seek something in others, because seeking in ourselves won't quench us and just make us feel lonely. The gap between human beings, the gap between the individual and the world, the gap between man and meaning. The desire for the absolute, for fulfillment.

okay, I've been rambling too much now and I'm getting NGE vibes.

original.gif

Geki-D

Banned
yes, Ignore the rest of my post and quote the one line.

Classic.
It was the main crux of your post, I'd like you to tell me how the rest changed what you said in that part I quoted, though.

The rest was justifying the position that trans people aren't bad. I'd don't disagree in any way with what you said, but most of the posts in this thread before you posted for the first time were pretty fucking transparent in their trans bashing.

petran79

Banned
I think it's an unfamiliarity with trans people themselves, most have never met one I'm guessing. All people see usually is what they have seen online.

By that logic all gamers are whiny shitheads.

They're not.

The way video games are now with b-movie writing and seen as badly influencing youths , they are not the best way to get informed about various social issues either.

Besides cis, all of those words are pretty basic common in the English language and always have been, Google is your friend for expressions... What is your native tongue?
I said words and EXPRESSIONS. I mean, "gender fluid" is some next level craziness. What are they, part of the day males, part of the day females, and later maybe Xenomorphs? This is not something people were saying anywhere, anytime.
I speak Norwegian, but am actually eastern European.

ExpandKong

Banned
No no silly, that’s the Trad Flag.

The blue represents men, surrounding, protecting the pink (women) as they work together to secure a future for their children (represented by the white stripe).

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I absolutely know this feeling all too well. The outrage and derision will seemingly never end....be it from the left, the right, or everywhere in between.
Everything is extreme in both side. It’s either everything needs to be “politically correct” or some just see everything as “SJW”, there is just no middle ground here. I becoming extremely annoyed and exhausted by all these nonsense.

GrayFoxRJ

Banned
No wonder people call NeoGaf a white Supremacists stronghold

Look at that, there is not a single day without a fucking gender politics thread related, be it regarding media, be it because of a game.

Even though there is a fucking Politics section, you are not safe in any other.

Some users do it intentionally. Like a counter-agenda

It gets old. Most people don't fucking care about "minorities" taking over or some shit. It doesn't hurt anyone, so don't think everybody will agree with your hate upon any bait shit thread.

ksdixon

It's not transpeople that I hate. It's sjw-behaviour. It's that I cant discuss videogames anymore without everything from Mortal Kombat, Days Gone and even Kingdom Hearts 3 being dragged through the mud for some perceived slight (days gone white zombies, when there's an in game reason for it), or the games we like being unfairly associated with sjw agenda (did you know we like kh3 because of sjw bs? Funny, I thought I liked it because of final fantasy).

And we've seen that no matter how much devs pander to them, which is the final reason I dislike sjw movement, that it affects a body of work just to try to gain some sales... That doesn't work out well, because we've seen repeatedly that they'll still turn around and bite the hand that feeds them. Days Gone has a lesbian couple if I recall correctly, and still got shit flung it's way for daring to have a wife flirt with her husband. Mortal kombat basically covered it's women up in burkas, and threw away characters established personality and motives to please them, and still gets dinged for violence and misogyny... It's mortal kombat, a fighting game, ffs!)

ksdixon

Being trans, or a minority, or anything isn't a problem. It's the... Trying to force it into everything. How dare this person not be black, I'm offended. What do you mean this character is straight, I'm not represented. Unless a game has a character creator at the start of it for the main character, then this isn't a game where you can roleplay or head-canon your way into the story. That character, who has their own story, history, motives and reasons? This game is their story. Not yours. You don't need to be included and feel represented here. Although I'm sure that even if the devs did throw a dog a bone, it wouldn't be good enough and we'd still all have to hear about it when we try to discuss the game in the future.

This sjw agenda makes me unable to properly enjoy discussing games, and to be honest a little embarrassed to be a gamer overall and recommend games to people I know. It actively detracts from my enjoyment of the hobby. "days gone? Aren't people up in arms about all white zombies, and mistreatment of women?". "well yeah... But forget about that background noise it's got zero to do with the game, man. I'm trying to tell you about these cool zombie horde mechanics. Doesn't the gameplay look fun?"

zeioIIDX

I agree, to a degree. For me personally, I've known two transgender people in real life. The first one is someone I met at an arcade while playing DDR. Male to Female transgender person. Used the name Ema and female pronouns. One of the very first things she said to me when we met at the arcade was "By the way, I'm trans and I go by Ema, I just wanted to let you know because some people get weirded out by that." I was like "Are you serious? That's not even an issue, I'm cool with everybody so long as they aren't harming people. Don't even fret, nice to meet you Ema!" Over time, we became pretty good friends and I slowly got used to calling her Ema and using female pronouns to refer to her. This was honestly difficult for me because she still looked like a tall and lanky 20 something year old man, albeit with long hair and the occasional tight, pink hoodie.

I slipped up maybe twice when I was speaking rapidly and ended up saying "he" instead of "she" and she called me out on it instantly. I was like "Shit, sorry...". For the most part, Ema was fun to be around although, she had this annoying thing where she would bash EVERYBODY and felt like she was superior and self-entitled to every little thing. She literally said one day, while walking through Wal-Mart with me and a couple friends, "Dude, everyone in here is so ugly, WTF?" And she was totally serious about it. After a while, I couldn't stand her superiority complex especially when it came to DDR and rhythm games in general. She always acted like she was more skilled at the game than anyone else and whenever I'd whoop her in the game, she'd get pissed. Apart from that, it was the constant bitching and moaning about politics, trans rights, Bernie Sanders and Trump (this was around 2015), stories about not knowing which public bathroom to use and how she couldn't find a job because she is trans (when in reality, she was just incredibly picky and didn't want to work at a fast food joint or retail because she felt she was above that...as a 20 year old who lived at home with her mom and typically crashed and mooched at a friend's house). When I'd go hang at my buddy's house (the guy who let Ema crash at his place often and owned his own DDR machine), I just wanted to play DDR, watch anime, and just chill...but anytime Ema was there, I had to brace myself because I knew an angry tirade about the latest transphobic news articles would commence and it always did.

I never had anything against her just because she was transgender. But she was constantly just bashing people left and right for things that she felt she deserved or should be entitled to. When she started taking hormones, she would constantly be training her voice and finding any chance she could to talk about how much her boobs are growing and how sore they are. I was just thinking to myself "Yo...I'm over here visiting so I can play some DDR and shoot the shit, do we really have to keep hearing about how sore your boobs are and how crappy the hormones are making you feel?". Obviously I cared about my friend and how she was feeling but dang...I admit it got tiring listening to her woes and complaints and thoughts on trans-only locker rooms / bathrooms or which presidential candidate should win. She was like a walking, talking Facebook / Yahoo News feed. You could never get upset with her about anything or call her out on any of her behavior because she would get offended and flip it around as if you were oppressing her because she is transgender. I mean, she'd do shit like rummage through our friend's cabinets and eat up his food, leave dirty dishes around, train her voice loudly with a microphone and headphones on at all hours of the day, and all sorts of other things that started to annoy my friend who was letting her crash at his place from time to time. It just boiled down to her being an inconsiderate person who never had a job in her life and felt like she was correct 100% all the time. To be honest, through all my interactions with her, she just didn't seem to be very happy and I suppose maybe that could be chalked up to everything she has to deal with from being transgender coupled with still living at home and not knowing what to do with life.

The only time she truly became happy was when she started dating a female to male transgender person and THAT was some confusing stuff for me because he looked absolutely female but used a male name and male pronouns. So anytime I spoke about them around our friends, I had to slowly speak so I can get the pronouns correct or I'd just use their names instead. What boggled my mind was when Ema told me they had started having sex because I always wondered to myself what goes through their minds during sex? Ema is a male to female transgender person who looks like a male and has a penis. Her boyfriend is a female to male transgender person who looks female and has a vagina. What would go through their minds regarding that as they are having sex? I never asked her but it was always a curiosity to me. Anyway, Ema was my first interaction with someone who is transgender and while it wasn't negative exactly, it was truly tiring. She would get offended at any and every thing and always talked as if she were owed stuff on a silver platter otherwise said person/entity/company was bigoted and transphobic. But I'm well aware that all transgender people are not the same as Ema, I'd be a fucking idiot to believe that or imply that. I mean shit, I'm black and people used to harp on me because I didn't "act black" or "black enough" and I was just like come the fuck on...not all black people say and do the same shit.

Speaking on that, my second personal experience with someone transgender is a bit of an ironic one. I found out through my ex girlfriend (we were dating at the time) that my best friend from childhood was transgender. She noticed on his Facebook that he was wearing makeup and a dress in a photo he posted. I was like "What?! Nah, that's just how he is, he's always been a jokester like that and loves doing weird stuff. He used to come to school dressed in tin foil or wrapped in carpets with a toaster and extension cord for a belt!" She told me she thinks it's not that and that he really IS transgender. I was in disbelief and went to go look at his profile. Sure enough, it turns out he had come out as transgender. The reason I didn't know my best friend from childhood was transgender is because, well, we had a falling out after I dated his ex girlfriend back in high school. In my defense, I didn't know that was a thing you shouldn't do (at the time) and I was fucking idiot and very naive with women back then. They only dated for a couple weeks and I didn't even mean to get together with her. I was literally just cheering her up on the bus with some music from my MP3 player because I noticed she was sad. She took a liking to me and then we started hanging out and I was completely and utterly infatuated with this girl. I never meant for that to happen.

Anyway, she and I eventually realized dating behind his back wasn't a good thing and we broke up and told him about it. Which was a weird thing to do now that I think about it. But it was also to preemptively beat a friend of ours who was the one who found out initially and told us "that's not cool" and that he was gonna let him know because he has a right to know. After we got to him first and told him, our friendship soured and he basically hated my guts after that and became incredibly hostile and emo and dramatic. The day we broke up and told him, we decided the three of us should go hang out at the arcade/mall together and smooth things out. Kind of fucked up when I think about it but I was in high school, I didn't fucking know what to do in that situation. As we were driving up to the mall, he asked me to stop the car and pull over. He silently got out, walked up to the brick wall of a building, punched it a bunch of times, turned around, and walked back to the car and got in. His hand was bleeding and I was like "What was that about?". He told me he had to go punch something to keep from hitting me lmao. I was thinking "Uh...okay then. I'm glad for YOUR sake that you DIDN'T punch me because that shit wouldn't have ended well." but I stayed silent and let him have his moment of rage because after all, I did date his ex girlfriend.

So anyway, the reason I even bring up this ex girlfriend story is because it was at this point that we said we were still friends and we did still hang out with our group of friends...but he became a total asshole to me. The racist kind. Granted, he was always the edgy type. He was in love with South Park, told dead baby jokes to people at school, drew dicks everywhere, constantly tried to gross people out or make them feel like shit. I think it was a defense mechanism because before he and I became friends in junior high, he was literally the most unpopular kid in school. The cliche thing where people bullied him for no reason other than his family was poor and he was dirty and smelled bad. I'm not making that up. It's how things were for him. He had zero friends before I came along. So I think it helped him develop a sharp tongue and he'd use it to pop off at the mouth to people bullying him but it got to the point where he was just shooting at the hip to EVERYONE whether they deserved it or not, he was just a very brash and unfiltered person. But this was different. He started to tell n*gger jokes at lunch time with me sitting right there. He'd always find some way to slip a black joke in or make a crack about black people so he could get a rise out of me. I ignored it. We ended up going on this camping trip with some friends and the entire fucking time, it was just n*gger this and n*gger that. There was even this rumor I heard that he apparently wanted to make a shirt that says "I want to slit zeioIIIDX's throat" (it would have my real name, obviously lol). That kinda alarmed me.

Well we graduated high school but our friendship was never the same and years passed. I was in my mid twenties and we caught up on Facebook and I apologized to him again for dating his ex and I even visited home (Chicago) and brought along my girlfriend at the time and we all chilled like old times. He seemed like his normal self, he was super friendly and everything. He was rocking a ponytail and a huge mustache lol. Not even a couple weeks later, I find out from my girlfriend that she thinks he's transgender. I ended up contacting him on Facebook and he confirmed it and I asked her (referring to my friend as female from this point forward) how her family took the news. She said not very well. Her dad kinda disowned her. I told her she's got my support and I've got her back and she'll always be my friend no matter what and she was really happy to hear those words. She would often make posts on Facebook about trans rights and would sometimes tell me about how hard it is being transgender and how she's been getting hate from people left and right.

The reason I say this story is ironic is because it made me think back to all those times in high school when she was telling n*gger jokes and being a racist piece of shit directly and indirectly to me and how she made me feel like such a piece of crap. I was thinking "Oh, so NOW you want to talk about feeling inclusive and feeling loved by people and how hard it is to be different?" Part of me felt like this was karma for how she treated me for being black. The other part of me was sympathetic because this was someone I had been friends with since 6th grade, someone who I shared countless amazing memories with and cared about. Unfortunately, I don't keep in touch with her much these days. It's kinda tough when she lives in Illinois and I'm in Bumfuck, Mississippi. But my interactions with her after she came out as transgender were never negative. It just made me wonder whether she ever thought about how she made me feel with her racist antics when thinking about how she feels being shit on by people for being transgender. I knew her really, really well growing up and never got the feeling she didn't feel like a man. She once stated that she is bisexual but we all took that as a joke because, again, that's how she was. She joked about literally everything and you could never, ever take her serious or take anything she said at face value. But maybe she really was bi at the time...

I don't know what it feels like to be transgender so I won't speak on whether I think it should be viewed/treated as a mental illness. I didn't even know that transgender people existed or was a thing until 6 years ago. I knew about transsexuals and hermaphrodites but those are different things. It feels like after finding out about transgender people 6 years ago, it's become very, very, very, very prevalent and I wonder why that is. How did I personally go 26 years never once hearing the word "transgender" or meeting a transgender person to suddenly having two transgender friends and knowing a handful of others through other friends? Does it really have something to do with Caitlyn Jenner transitioning? Was that the catalyst? I like to think I don't live under a rock like Patrick Star and I've been around the block on the internet but I don't know...

Last edited:

PSFan

Everything is extreme in both side. It’s either everything needs to be “politically correct” or some just see everything as “SJW”, there is just no middle ground here. I becoming extremely annoyed and exhausted by all these nonsense.

You realize you are talking about the same side in both cases, right? SJW is all about "politically correct".

Top Bottom