• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Hat in Time |OT| A Kid in Space

silva1991

Thank you for the OT JaseC.

Not sure if I can buy it this month, because I'm saving for TEW2 and possibly getting the switch, but I'm sure I'll buy it before 2018.

epmode

This game has been such a pleasant surprise. I'll admit that the relatively low Kickstarter budget had me expecting mediocrity but stuff like Hollow Knight has already proven that even relatively small budgets can go far.

Anyway, I'm a big fan. Art's a little weird with the crazy depth of field and character design but the whole thing is so endearing. The crazy level concepts (especially as you go beyond the first world) keep it from feeling like a Mario 64/Sunshine retread. And oh god, I love the music.

Luigi87

25 Hourglasses in so far, and I'm really, really enjoying the game! Definitely glad I backed it.

I am personally enjoying it more than Yooka-Laylee
which I was initially more excited for, but ultimately it didn't quite meet my expectations.

The characters and writing are charming, and Hat Kid's many hats are of a nice variety.

Also the Act 3 Finale is simply fantastic.

Edit: And since I normally just skip through the main menu to load the game ASAP, I just realized something about Act 2
in that how you edit your passport is what Hat Kid's face on your file select screen is, lol

Ravelle

Came up until the first boss, didn't expect more Cuphead like trial and error bosses and I'm not really in the mood for it at the moment.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Kyolux

Really loving how Hat Kid is silent in all the main interactions, and then you go read her diary in her room and you find out what she really thought at those moments.

Came up until the first boss, didn't expect more Cuphead like trial and error bosses and I'm not really in the mood for it at the moment.

The first boss is like 10 times easier than average Cuphead boss.
It's easy enough that it can be done in the first try (so no trial and error).

It's fine for me, but I suspect a complaint from veterans of the platform is the game is too easy.

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Ravelle

They're not trial and error, and I can comment I personally didn't die a single time against any boss in the game. There's also a lot of health you can get during boss battles if you're observant, and the health restocks over time when you figure out the sources.

Though they're not pushovers either.

He was trial and error for me, Died a bunch of times during that ball stage and his ultra spam.

Kyolux

FED2A555F9CD674DC5C1AB441C8732F47712F8C1

I really wish there was a way to scroll through the pages so that you could go back and look back at the previous ones, especially since it's easy to miss a few.

5 hours in, lots of fun so far. Varied levels, controls feel great (playing with a controller,), cute and charming style and lots of humor.
Thanks for the OT.

Are people playing this with the camera controls set to zoom in and out or to look up and down?

When playing with controller I didn't notice a way to do both (other than the y button when standing still)

ymgve

Is there any way to re-do Chapter 2 Act 1? Once I get to the first tram it's at the opposite side from the first time I played the level, and it's impossible to reach it.

On an unrelated note, is there any point in picking up yarns once you got
six
hats?

mindatlarge

I also don't understand the art style complaints, it's pretty faithful to the Gamecube style it's trying to emulate.

Here's some misc screens I took while playing.
Nice screen shots. The graphics look right on for the genre and nostalgia it's going for, imo. Reminds me a lot of Psychonauts visually. Probably will pick this up for PS4 if the port ends up well optimized.

Luigi87

Around 11 hours, finished the game with all the Time Pieces.
Fantastic little game, well worth backing. The boss fights in particular were a lot of fun, and it had a lot of fun platforming. The game also controlled incredibly well.

Is there any way to re-do Chapter 2 Act 1? Once I get to the first tram it's at the opposite side from the first time I played the level, and it's impossible to reach it.

six
hats?

Hm, can't say I ever ran into that issue on Ch.2 Act 1. Maybe save and exit the game? You should be able to replay it...

Also, not really, aside from personal satisfaction. There isn't even an achievement for finding them all.

Szadek

Played the first few mission today. What a lovely game.
I have the feeling that I should finish all the missions first, so I can explore the levels with all the power ups.

Crayolan

six
hats?

Are you talking about the dark version? Check the elevator before the tram.

The game just got a 2 gig update out of nowhere.

I wonder what's in it.

I heard mod support was coming today. That might be it.

Dusk Golem

kliklik

Banned
It seems from Steam reviews that some people are having technical difficulties with getting the mac version to run properly. Hope they can patch that soon.

Dusk Golem

It seems from Steam reviews that some people are having technical difficulties with getting the mac version to run properly. Hope they can patch that soon.

The Mac version is an atrocious piece of crap. I've tried it several different computers. Even when I can get it to actually start up, it stutters everywhere.

I have very low expectations of Mac ports, but AHiT is at the point where I question why they bothered releasing a Mac version at all. Luckily, it's easy enough for me to boot into Windows.

Kudo

Anyone playing this on 4K? I don't have my controller yet so can't test it on TV yet, but seems to run pretty nicely on GTX 1070 at 1440p all maxed.

Anyone playing this on 4K? I don't have my controller yet so can't test it on TV yet, but seems to run pretty nicely on GTX 1070 at 1440p all maxed.

I'm playing at 1600p super sampling (editing the .ini file). It's locked 60fps, I could play at more resolution, but... kind of unneeded imo.

ZugZug123

Wow, people don't like the art style of the game? I find it really cute and fitting to the game's light hearted themes.

Also, no loot boxes 😋

ymgve

Wow, people don't like the art style of the game? I find it really cute and fitting to the game's light hearted themes.

Also, no loot boxes 😋

I guess the slots machine for colors/soundtrack mixes/hat skins is kinda like loot boxes, though?

Maximo

Is it possible to get everything from the slot machine?

If you collect all the tokens yeah you can get everything.

I guess the slots machine for colors/soundtrack mixes/hat skins is kinda like loot boxes, though?
But its not Lootboxes in that sense, Its essentially *collect item to unlock skins and extras like music remixes* that old games used to have but visually distributed with a slot machine. So in a way maybe a skin you want can only be unlocked with 20 tokens but you don't really want anything in between, then it essentially gives you three chances to get the thing you want each time.

epmode

Hey, these bosses are pretty great too. I just went back to finish the second chapter and I really loved the end bit. It's crazy to see how much the game improves after the first chapter.

I bought the soundtrack DLC because why not.

Cyanity

Banned
So are people on this forum just refusing to engage with this game because of the JonTron controversy, or did no one buy it? Because the game's a blast and it'd be a shame if people slept on it.

BigEmil

The game runs on the GPDWin, but it crash too often, so its unplayable. Otherwise is ~30fps on low.
If it can just about run on GPD Win then that confirms it can pretty much run on nearly anything of course settings overall should be adjusted to your system specs so that's nice to know it will run on my laptop too with Intel 5500
So are people on this forum just refusing to engage with this game because of the JonTron controversy, or did no one buy it? Because the game's a blast and it'd be a shame if people slept on it.
Yeah it seems this is a great game if you reach a small part with jontron you can quickly skip it and there play the rest of the game there's also a item that changes all voices into gibberish

Maximo

Nah its come out during a really tough month a bunch of games in September and alot this month and coming out soon, I just think its gone under the radar especially with yooka laylee taking the wind out of this genre. Which is disappointing I have had way more fun with A Hat In Time then I did with Yooka Laylee.

It would be a shame if white supremacists were meant to feel unwelcome in the video game industry, according to Gears for Breakfast's silence on the issue.

In a time when white supremacists, Nazis, and racists are feeling more and more empowered to speak and act on their toxic viewpoints, fuck a company that doesn't speak out against those people- especially when that company is already directly connected with one of the most notorious asswipes known in the industry, as Gears for Breakfast is with Jontron.

Gears for Breakfast could have said or done anything, yet they chose to say and do absolutely nothing.

A Hat in Time seems like an awesome game. The screenshots and videos (and reviews) are really appealing. I could have seen myself adding it to my backlog of adventure titles to mill through once work/life got a little less busy. But, no. Not if they're going to give shitstains like Jontron a pass. Not if they're going to turn their backs on the POC developers they couldn't have made it without.

"When you remain silent on things that matter, you are silently condoning them."

Cramoss

Their loss. I'm having a blast ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm not even sure what we're allowed to say on the subject. The last two Polygon threads were closed, the second without a statement that I saw. I guess the mods collectively decided they didn't like the tone of discussion, twice. So now I guess we're not supposed to post about it, or bury it in the Reviews thread, or something.

Rhete

Banned
Finished the game tonight with 40 shine... time pieces and I really enjoyed it. Battle of the Birds was my favorite chapter. The fourth one was really great as well, gameplay wise, but I felt it was lacking in characters and humor compared to the other chapters.

Looking forward to user made levels, hopefully they give us enough tools to make some really crazy stuff

Top Bottom