• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Hat In Time releases October 7 on PC, Xbone, and PS4

For $20 I'm gladly able to wait 4 days for this.

e:Seriously get over the one person voicing in it. It's gonna be a minimal role just like the toilet fucking was in Yooka-Laylee. It's still good to know people will blow shit out of proportion for no reason to just derail a thread.

Because rallying against an open racist in the gaming community and those who support him is blowing shit out of proportion. Got it dude.

BBboy20

n-SLAVERY-628x314.jpg

No_Mexicans_Allowed1.jpg

This is the world JonTron envisions. Don't underestimate or tolerate this shit.

n-SLAVERY-628x314.jpg

No_Mexicans_Allowed1.jpg

This is the world JonTron envisions. Don't underestimate or tolerate this shit.

Pretty sure 3 lines of voice will bring this back m'right?

People blowing this out of proportion is the reason a lot of folks doesn't take activists of real issues seriously.

I am saying this as a latin american folk.

There is already a thread on this issue, this one is for the actual game.

Mutant

I wanted a good 3d platformer for so long, and these guys couldn't release it earlier than two weeks before Super Mario Odyssey. Lmao.

edit: wait what the fuck is going on in this thread.

petran79

Banned
I wanted a good 3d platformer for so long, and these guys couldn't release it earlier than two weeks before Super Mario Odyssey. Lmao.

edit: wait what the fuck is going on in this thread.

As a backer and PC player,I dont care about Odyssey anyway

1 gameplay thread vs 10 JonTron threads,thats what will happen.

GFB needs to make another statement to settle things

mindatlarge

Heard about this game a couple of months ago and since then I've been intrigued. Really looks like they tapped into the N64 era but with a modern twist. From what I hear, impressions have been pretty stellar as well. Not sure if it'll be day one for me, but it's definitely in the cards.

Count me in as interested but unwilling to support it until they cut Jontron out.
The fact that it's a minor role is irrelevant - the industry needs to stand up against people like him and I can't take leaving him in as anything but tacit acceptance of his place in the industry.

Are we no longer allowed to talk about this game? There was big hype before the controversy came out a few days ago. I'm not even sure if the PS4 version is out today.

Neither am I. Last I heard, they got delayed?

I've had a look around and have been getting mixed messages. A few saying it's TBA, more saying 5th October (including the official website for the game), official Twitter saying PC only 5th October.

Edit: "Remember that the PS4 and Xbox One version releases later this fall!" Reply from the official Twitter, so not out for them today, sadly.

GWX

Damn, I was thinking this would be coming out today on PS4. Was excited as hell! Oh well, will get Stardew on Switch then.

JakeD

Doesnt this release today? Where is the OT? Why cant I buy on Steam? http://store.steampowered.com/app/253230/A_Hat_in_Time/

according to their twitter it will release on steam in 8 hours.

ps4 and xbone got moved to "fall":

We'd also like to post an update to the PS4 and Xbox One version of A Hat in Time: A Hat in Time will be releasing on PS4 and Xbox One this fall, while the PC version will be releasing Oct 5th. Luckily, no backer or slacker-backer is tied exclusively to the console version, everyone has access to the PC release, and so everyone will get to play A Hat in Time on Oct 5th. Sorry for this inconvenience, but it is unfortunately out of our control. We hope to have an update on this soon!

according to their twitter it will release on steam in 8 hours.

ps4 and xbone got moved to "fall":

Meh.
I "upgraded" to the PS4 version because I figured my PC couldn't handle the game.

Well, it's not like I don't have anything else to play until "fall".

GFB needs to make another statement to settle things

Just want to add that I, one of the artists who worked on the game (and one of the few POC to have done so), released a statement back in April condemning Jontron.
https://epigallo.tumblr.com/post/159103022899/on-jontron-and-racism

The company ignored me, of course. Although I had left the company 2 years before, on good terms, I hadn't been involved with its development since. I assume a few of the current artists on the team may have also wanted to speak out, but remained quiet out of fear of losing their job.

The team is majority white European. This is why diversity is so important. When you have a team that primarily comes from very homogenously white countries, where racism is probably something they've never personally encountered, you end up with blind spots. The creator of the game probably isn't a racist, but from his silence, we can infer that he still may not quite grasp the seriousness of what JonTron has said. (And what he said was absolutely reprehensible - for those who need a reminder.)

I can't tell if we are allowed to talk about this anymore - I see some people still mentioning JonTron who haven't been banned, but others who have. If this post gets me banned, so be it. I couldn't find any other thread that was still open about the game. I don't really visit NeoGAF anymore - just logged in for the first time in many months to let people know that not all of us who worked on the game are okay with actual white supremacist JonTron. At all. At least, I'm not.

Just want to add that I, one of the artists who worked on the game (and one of the few POC to have done so), released a statement back in April condemning Jontron.
https://epigallo.tumblr.com/post/159103022899/on-jontron-and-racism

The company ignored me, of course. Although I had left the company 2 years before, on good terms, I hadn't been involved with its development since. I assume a few of the current artists on the team may have also wanted to speak out, but remained quiet out of fear of losing their job.

The team is majority white European. This is why diversity is so important. When you have a team that primarily comes from very homogenously white countries, where racism is probably something they've never personally encountered, you end up with blind spots. The creator of the game probably isn't a racist, but from his silence, we can infer that he still may not quite grasp the seriousness of what JonTron has said. (And what he said was absolutely reprehensible - for those who need a reminder.)

I can't tell if we are allowed to talk about this anymore - I see some people still mentioning JonTron who haven't been banned, but others who have. If this post gets me banned, so be it. I couldn't find any other thread that was still open about the game. I don't really visit NeoGAF anymore - just logged in for the first time in many months to let people know that not all of us who worked on the game are okay with actual white supremacist JonTron. At all. At least, I'm not.

Thanks for speaking your piece on this situation. It is disturbing that the developer you used to work for still is keeping silent about this matter because sweeping racism under the rug isn't going to make the matter go away. We pretty much learned that the hard way the past 12 months if anything. I know it's hard for an indie developer to please every single audience with their very first game soon to be released. However, you wouldn't think it's a hard choice to come out and condemn the words of what a person has said who is featured in your game, no matter how big or small of a role they played in.

Again, thanks for logging in and sharing your words. Best of luck to you on any future projects coming your way.

Zubz

Banned
I got my key today, but, like... Fuck JonTron. I'm not redeeming it until he's out or we have a statement from the developer stating they're stuck in a situation where they couldn't remove him (It's such an easy fall-back, too; apparently, he paid them, so they're probably contractually bound. Even if they're not, it's an easy lie, scummy as that'd be).

And even then, one of the devs was pretty shitty to a former co-worker.

Battlechili

Banned
HYPE

Game looks like it could be the best 3D platformer in years. Hatgirl is so mobile. Walljumping, wallrunning, the general speed of her movement...I love it.

I got my key today, but, like... Fuck JonTron. I'm not redeeming it until he's out or we have a statement from the developer stating they're stuck in a situation where they couldn't remove him (It's such an easy fall-back, too; apparently, he paid them, so they're probably contractually bound. Even if they're not, it's an easy lie, scummy as that'd be).

And even then, one of the devs was pretty shitty to a former co-worker.

I'd be happy to take that key off your hands if you don't feel comfortable owning the game.

This game is very charming, colorful, pretty, and fun. Definitely more fine-tuned for speed runs than for delicate platforming, but still feels good.

The hub area music is fantastic (thanks Grant).

I think everyone is going to enjoy this very much.

necrosis

For $20 I'm gladly able to wait 4 days for this.

e:Seriously get over the one person voicing in it. It's gonna be a minimal role just like the toilet fucking was in Yooka-Laylee. It's still good to know people will blow shit out of proportion for no reason to just derail a thread.

jontron is a horrible racist, sexist fuck

i wouldn't purchase the game if david duke had a role either

hope the game is good tho

Stalwart

There's nothing in the OT OT about him dropping the game, he said he wants a dialogue about whether or not the game should be discussed on here and the mods said 'obviously, yes.' Guess we wait.

Kraq

This looks fantastic. I remember watching a stream of the alpha back in 2013 and was gutted to find that it was constantly delayed over the years. A extra month or two won't hurt at this point.

Top Bottom