• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A helpful tip: use 0-255 RGB range on your PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToD_

Unless they fixed it in some patch, Nvidia drivers always force 16-235 when using HDMI with common HD resolutions (720p, 1080p). You can change settings in your control panel all you want but it won't make a difference. At least, that's been my experience and that of many others when searching for a solution. The only solution was creating a custom resolution that's outside of the normal HDTV range (like 1920x1079).

Don't even get that:

z5icB.png

Odd. How old is your CCC? Mine is from version 12.3 and it's there.

cccrd.png

yours looks very different, needless to say.

That's because video players should be able to display the correct RGB range by itself when viewing on a computer display. But then again I use MPC-HC to view videos.

Just tried MPC, it did in fact switch automatically. VLC doesn't though. Didn't know that

Bossun

The main difference are on the blacks. The blacks are deeper with a full range. Which might be nice with illustrations and all but you might lose in realism on other things.

Just updated today, actually (12.4).

dumb question but...did you scroll down? mine is the Mobile (laptop) version, so it may be different but I can scroll past "Flesh Tone Correction" and there are more options.

Try putting CCC in Advanced View and see if that makes any difference (Preferences --> Advanced View)

leadbelly

Banned
Kind of funny trying show a difference between images when it is entirely dependent on the settings people have for their computer screens.

Nekrono

So if your monitor supports full range then switch it to "Full (0-255)" and if it doesn't then leave at "Limited (16-235)" because otherwise you will be crushing blacks, correct?

The blacks got a bit darker on those pictures, this is on a Dell U3011 with Adobe RGB preset.

Not seeing a broader colour spectrum.

I'm thinking of getting one through my job, would you recommend? I saw one at Best Buy here and was like I need it and the boss said that they would order it for me out of my new office budget.

Is there any way of finding out if displays support this?

Well, if you have one of those TV/Monitors it probably doesn't support, if yours is a 'true' monitor, it supports.
But actually panel quality is more of an influence to "good range" than full range/limited range :p

what have they ever done to you?

It crushes some whites too if that helps :(

So if your monitor supports full range then switch it to "Full (0-255)" and if it doesn't then leave at "Limited (16-235)" because otherwise you will be crushing blacks, correct?

To those who see the option in their panel, are you connecting thru HDMI?

epmode

My otherwise awesome Dell 3007WFP monitor doesn't seem to differentiate between the first four blacks. This shame is too much to bear!

edit: Oh hay, I lied. Looks like I need to play around with contrast and gamma some more.

dumb question but...did you scroll down? mine is the Mobile (laptop) version, so it may be different but I can scroll past "Flesh Tone Correction" and there are more options.

Try putting CCC in Advanced View and see if that makes any difference (Preferences --> Advanced View)

Yeah, that's the entire page in Advanced View.

Manp

doesn't that setting only apply to video content? unless i'm missing something you shouldn't be seeing any difference in games

Ahh, think I may have found my answer

As I suspected, this is an option to those connected through hdmi which is expected to deal with the limited range.

But just repeating:
Panel quality is more influential to a "good range" than the limited/full range thing.
And with that comes a good calibration. You'll fix black and white displays, and color balance too.
This is a good calibration video, free of charge, and it does the job for a home use of monitors and tvs. You'll eyeball through it, so don't expect to squeeze the maximum of your monitor. :p
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Changed and watched Prometheus trailer, it's like completely different, the black are way more intense, not just a grey.
I'm really surprised about this.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
If I'm buying a new monitor, which spec should I look under to see if it supports full color?

LCGeek

formerly sane
Proper hardware and software are need for this it's nice to want that but not everyone has native support or nice drivers. As much as this is useful without setting up gamma and lut especially in windows it has even less of an impact.

Manp games are worse than videos when it comes to this. You can force videos and the like with most programs in to this or similar setups for games you need 3rd party hacks to lock some of them to your color setup.

Sethos

Banned
The pics in the OP aren't supposed to change as this setting only changes how videos are displayed.

They do in fact change. The blacks are blacker, bit more crushed. So it does have an impact on the pictures in some way however the full spectrum might not be showing up.

I'm thinking of getting one through my job, would you recommend? I saw one at Best Buy here and was like I need it and the boss said that they would order it for me out of my new office budget.

Best monitor I've ever had hands down, the colours with the right presets are astounding. You almost can't believe how much you've 'missed' out as every other monitor next to it just seems off.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
How about laptops?

Should I set it to Full RGB?
Yes.

Basically, anything that's a PC monitor should be 0-255. 16-235 is the range for TVs.

edit - Ok I'm reading more of this thread and it sounds like some people think this is something recent or new? Pretty much any modern LCD monitor designed for PCs should be set to 0-255. It's not really a feature, just something they all should support. It's not 'more color' or 'deeper blacks', it's simply the range of values between pure black and pure white that the monitor has to interpret. When you set it to 0-255, your blacks aren't getting any 'deeper', they're just being displayed properly now. In fact I'm really quite baffled why PC programs or driver control panels are defaulting to 16-235 for some of you.

Unless they fixed it in some patch, Nvidia drivers always force 16-235 when using HDMI with common HD resolutions (720p, 1080p). You can change settings in your control panel all you want but it won't make a difference. At least, that's been my experience and that of many others when searching for a solution. The only solution was creating a custom resolution that's outside of the normal HDTV range (like 1920x1079).

Always knew about the "Full" RGB setting on my monitor and it makes a huge difference. I was planning on going nVidia with my next card (still am), so this bit of news is disappointing. I have signal issues when using DVI with my monitor, so I use HDMI.

vazel

Banned
Christ almighty, what video players are you people using. This should not be happening.

Edit: I downloaded VLC and yup, it displays the incorrect color range by default. VLC has a lot of extra features(especially for networking) but if you're not going to make use of those features you're better off using MPC-HC or even WMP.

Edit2: disabling hardware yuv->rgb conversion in vlc's video settings fixes the color range issue.

Christ almighty, what video players are you people using. This should not be happening.

Edit: I downloaded VLC and yup, it displays the incorrect color range by default. VLC has a lot of extra features(especially for networking) but if you're not going to make use of those features you're better off using MPC-HC or even WMP.

Edit2: disabling hardware yuv->rgb conversion in vlc's video settings fixes the color range issue.

that setting should have no effect if you're using accelerated video output (overlay). says so right in the tooltip.

vazel

Banned
that setting should have no effect if you're using accelerated video output (overlay). says so right in the tooltip.
This thread makes it evident that it's bugged. See the below image of what happens when yuv->rgb conversion is ticked despite overlay being enabled. The only way to get the proper color range is to disable yuv->rgb conversion.

icaLBRzMjvghu.png

iulxZajEha6sN.png

^ definitely a difference. hmph.

but to be honest, I prefer the top picture more. with the option unchecked, there is clear black crush going on. TONS of lost details in the dark areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom