"A June 2018 news report accurately described the controversial reality of children facing deportation proceedings without legal representation."

luigimario

Banned
Apr 3, 2018
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/children-immigration-court-deportation-attorney/

"As the White House faces court orders to reunite families separated at the border, immigrant children as young as 3 are being ordered into court for their own deportation proceedings, according to attorneys in Texas, California and Washington, D.C.

Requiring unaccompanied minors to go through deportation alone is not a new practice. But in the wake of the Trump administration’s controversial family separation policy, more young children — including toddlers — are being affected than in the past. The 2,000-plus separated children will likely need to deal with court proceedings even as they grapple with the ongoing trauma of being taken from their parents."

"
According to statistics collected by Syracuse University, 58,015 unaccompanied children (i.e., juveniles under the age of 18 separated from their legal adult guardians) were subjected to deportation hearings in American immigration courts in 2017.

That figure was 61,254 in 2016, and 35,113 in 2015. Between 2005 and 2017, some 300,000 unaccompanied children have had to appear in court in deportation hearings, and according to the data around half of children in deportation cases do not have legal representation. A child who doesn’t have a lawyer is over four times more likely to receive a removal order (deportation) than a child who does.

Between 2005 and May 2018, a total of 93,767 children left the United States, either through removal orders or voluntary departure, after being detained and subjected to immigration court deportation proceedings without legal representation."

I thought this was an Onion article at first, but nope, it's just America.

Before people say "Obama did it too!", yeah we know, he is an unapologetic establishment shill, but the whole point of Trump was to make things better right? But under him these numbers have just gotten worse! The number of children having to represent themselves in court nearly doubled when he took office!

LegendOfKage

Mar 6, 2018
Before people say "Obama did it too!", yeah we know, he is an unapologetic establishment shill, but the whole point of Trump was to make things better right? But under him these numbers have just gotten worse! The number of children having to represent themselves in court nearly doubled when he took office!
I almost think that we have to accept the fact that anyone who reaches the highest political office in the land will be an establishment shill of some variety. Sad but true. You can't make it there without a lot of powerful friends that you'll need to help once you're in place.

luigimario

Banned
Apr 3, 2018
I think what alot of Americans don't realise is that, to the world, you are the symbol of freedom and liberty, as corny as that might sound.

So to find out, that, in your court systems, you make children represent themselves in these cases, is just insanity. I would expect that in Saudi Arabia, not the USA. As far as I can tell, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the USA is the only industrialised country in the world that allows this?

LegendOfKage

Mar 6, 2018
I think what alot of Americans don't realise is that, to the world, you are the symbol of freedom and liberty, as corny as that might sound.
I mean, we're the only nation in the world with freedom of speech, so I'm not surprised. Although it does surprise me that literally nowhere else on the planet has government protected speech. That's pretty sad.

As for the kids, I'd think they'd at least have a public defender. Is that not the case? It's weird to even think of kids in a courtroom setting like that in the first place, though.

luigimario

Banned
Apr 3, 2018
I mean, we're the only nation in the world with freedom of speech, so I'm not surprised. Although it does surprise me that literally nowhere else on the planet has government protected speech. That's pretty sad.

As for the kids, I'd think they'd at least have a public defender. Is that not the case? It's weird to even think of kids in a courtroom setting like that in the first place, though.
No, unless they can afford one, which, obviously, they can't. I didn't know about this until today. Found it quite shocking.

Super Mario

Nov 12, 2016

So to find out, that, in your court systems, you make children represent themselves in these cases, is just insanity. I would expect that in Saudi Arabia, not the USA. As far as I can tell, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the USA is the only industrialised country in the world that allows this?
We can throw out whatever fun buzzwords and feelings we want, where it comes down to is the constitution. What kind of protections does the constitution allow non-citizens? Hint: it was not written to protect people all over the world.

luigimario

Banned
Apr 3, 2018
We can throw out whatever fun buzzwords and feelings we want, where it comes down to is the constitution. What kind of protections does the constitution allow non-citizens? Hint: it was not written to protect people all over the world.
Which other western nation makes children defend themselves in court?

BANGS

Banned
Dec 13, 2016
It's a shame about the children, I wish there was some recourse to punish parents who purposely put their kids in danger like this...

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
Ok Shareblue.

I mean, I don't really like Trump, but can we just like consolidate the shit about him into one single OT, instead of 3-4 "Trump is a monster" posts a day?

Last edited:

Idiocracy

Jun 18, 2018
im still looking for a breakdown of the age of unaccompanied minors before and during the policy of separation of families. Logic would dictate that most of them were teenagers before the family separation policy and that minors separated from adults and receiving the designation would be younger. Have anyone stumbled on those numbers?

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
It sucks knowing there are children born into poverty in the third world. But why should American taxpayers have to subsidize the entire third world at the expense of their own children? Let's pretend that the most we would spend per illegal immigrant child is $10k per year (LOL!!!!) just for their education. Multiple by 58,015, that means right there without immigration law consequences the US would be spending $580,150,000 per year in the absence of immigration law. And that is using the LOL number of 10k per kid per year, and ignores the millions who are not in proceedings. People cry racist, racist, racist, but math is not racist. It's math.

Last edited:

PonyStation4

May 26, 2018
Which other western nation makes children defend themselves in court?
What other 1st world country allows people to run through their border with no consequences and gives them benefits? In Canada businesses are fined for hiring illegals. Illegals aren't allowed schooling, healthcare or even bank accounts. Children have been deported by themselves without even being able to defend themselves in court.

What you fail to notice in US is that most children come with traffickers, not their parents. Sending them back to their "parents" or back to Mexico without a trial is an act to cause them harm. The children need to be questioned on how they got to the border, it's the safest idea for everyone involved.

Last edited:

Corderlain

Jun 12, 2018
By seeking asylum? And so, the best course of action is to put children in cages?
Lmfao you're such a shill. They're illegals, their parents brought them over, they're behind held in detention facilities to be sent back where they came from. There are no cages that was a staged protest.

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
It sucks knowing there are children born into poverty in the third world. But why should American taxpayers have to subsidize the entire third world at the expense of their own children? Let's pretend that the most we would spend per illegal immigrant child is $10k per year (LOL!!!!) just for their education. Multiple by 58,015, that means right there without immigration law consequences the US would be spending $580,150,000 per year in the absence of immigration law. And that is using the LOL number of 10k per kid per year, and ignores the millions who are not in proceedings. People cry racist, racist, racist, but math is not racist. It's math.

I'd argue it doesn't even suck, it just is. It isn't a bad thing. It isn't a good thing. The fact of the matter is that they aren't our concern, because we have our own children to worry about. And our children are far more important.

Idiocracy

Jun 18, 2018
I did, it's completely irrelevant to most illegal immigration in the US...
But it is relevant to asylum seekers, and not just a buzzword. The real problem is the low level of info on the separation policy, did they turn away or separate asylum seekers, or were their cases processed according to current law?

luigimario

Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Lmfao you're such a shill. They're illegals, their parents brought them over, they're behind held in detention facilities to be sent back where they came from. There are no cages that was a staged protest.
You're the one who defends everything Trump does, but yes, I'm the shill. Keep projecting.

BANGS

Banned
Dec 13, 2016
The real problem is the low level of info on the separation policy
They know what they are doing is illegal. They are going to a foreign country and breaking the law while forcing their children to be accessory to the crime. What more information do they need?