• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Linux port of The Witcher 2 is in the works

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I can't help but wonder if CDPR will port over the original game, too. A Linux port of the the sequel makes perfect sense if the intention is to release 3 across PC, Mac and Linux simultaneously, as there's a common engine, but I'd imagine, since the original game uses BioWare's Aurora engine, that a Linux port isn't exactly a simple undertaking.

Sweet...
I bought this game some time last year for windows, but switched to linux before I got to play it.
Look forward to playing it when it arrives.

Wow, we start getting all most of newer release games on Linux and I don't even care about all the pre-2011 ones. I'll jump right off Windows immediately.

TheLaw

Banned
When will we see games being announced on PC/Linux/Xbox/Playstation.
Once the steam box is released, that day isn't far now, is it?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
When will we see games being announced on PC/Linux/Xbox/Playstation.
Once the steam box is released, that day isn't far now, is it?

There is no the Steam Machine. A Steam Machine is essentially a PC of a small(er) form factor that runs SteamOS as its primary OS, coupled with a Steam Controller; nothing more, nothing less. Having said that, the systems are expected to hit the market in the second half of the year; the hold-up is the finalisation of the aforementioned controller.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
How in the hell can the devs justify porting it to Linux but not PS3. It make no sense at all.

Because Linux as an OS is completely arbitrary relative to hardware limitations? Linux can fit into a microwave, are they gonna port Witcher 3 to your kitchen microwave?

edit:wait nevermind Im stupid I thought the title said Witcher 3 lol

YES. CD Projekt RED is the only other developer that isn't valve i can see being the catalyst for the linux gaming movement. I cant really see EA, Bethesda, UBi or any other major dev doing this, but maybe this will change it. Witcher 3 on linux would be awesome

I guess this means TW3 is also going to come to Linux.

This has been a good week for my trusty little penguin dude. ^_^

I want this Linux gaming shit to go away.

Is Linux on your main workstation and you're sad now that games are available they will threaten your productivity?

Sorry bro. :(

haters gonna hate. I've been ready to cut the windows cord.

Edit - I'm not anti-windows but the less I pour into a OS is more I can pour into games and hardware.

This news pleases me greatly. I currently only use Windows, but I'm really rooting for Linux to become competitive. If it was practical for me to switch to it now, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Atolm

I can't help but wonder if CDPR will port over the original game, too. A Linux port of the the sequel makes perfect sense if the intention is to release 3 across PC, Mac and Linux simultaneously, as there's a common engine, but I'd imagine, since the original game uses BioWare's Aurora engine, that a Linux port isn't exactly a simple undertaking.

Neverwinter Nights has a native Linux version. Yep, no kidding.

I imagine it would be a pain in the butt to deal with old legacy code, but it could be done, I guess.

Was TW2 mac a "cider" aka WINE port, or was that just TW1?

Just TW1. CDP was actually bragging about how Witcher 2's port was native to OSX.

Neverwinter Nights has a native Linux version. Yep, no kidding.

I imagine it would be a pain in the butt to deal with old legacy code, but it could be done, I guess.

True. I have a feeling The Witcher's version of the Aurora Engine has plenty of divergence though. I would expect to see another Cider/Wine port for the first game.

And people like you are why "GNU/Linux" is so isolated... No one likes to be constantly pointed out when "Linux" has been the default quick reference name for decades.

It's a common joke inside and outside of Linux circles to complain about people not using the "proper term."

I guess I'm sort of surprised that cdpr wasn't bigger into linux earlier. Lines up with a lot of what they're about.

I'll chalk it up to their relative size.

Nzyme32

I want this Linux gaming shit to go away.

Sorry but tough shit. Linux is becoming a more viable platform with a path to developing for mobile also. Moving towards OpenGL is also a winning situation for everyone. So excuse me while I giggle at words that probably seemed ridiculous a few years ago!

Top Bottom