• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Look at Japanese Game Sales on Steam - Post-holiday 2016 edition [Steamspy figures]

Kumubou

And it's acutally ok.
And by OK you mean "one of the best 2D fighting games ever made", right? :x

(I am bias, but I would still take Melty Blood over any other 2D fighter ever made, no question.)

Baseball Stars 2 - 24.000 (29.000)
Shock Troopers - 21.000 (23.000)
Twinkle Star Sprites- 20.000 (22.000)
The Last Blade - 7.000 (1.000)
Shock Troopers 2nd Squad - 6.000 (1.000)

Looks to me like some Humble Bundle owners haven't gone back and redeemed their Steam keys for Last Blade and Shock Troopers 2.
Or they realized that the DotEmu ports of these games are so garbage they would rather peel the skin from their body than redeem the keys and pay them. Twinkle Star Sprites being treated like that kills me a little bit on the inside. :(

Doesn't make it any less disappointing. I don't really expect their sales to set the world on fire or anything, but that negative sales trend is troubling. Is it just a coincidence that each one sold (relatively) significantly less than the previously released game? If not, how can these companies (Degica, XSeed, and others) better position these older games to sell now that the initial novelty of Japanese games on Steam is gone and the marketplace is flooded with competition (including, in this case, the games' previously released siblings)?

Also, is it safe to assume that this is the majority of these games' sales, or do they sell in significant numbers on GOG and other marketplaces?
I think there are two things at hand here: when Mushihimesama was released on Steam, it was a completely novel concept, as they was one of the last Japanese developers to have absolutely no presence on PC. And Mushihimesame is also one of Cave's most highly regarded games, was never released outside of Japan in any form previously, and also included DLC (1.5) that were pretty much impossible to get access to otherwise. Makes it a rather notable release, all things considered. Now they're on their third release and the other two releases were one that was released internationally already and a game that, to be frank, just wasn't as popular as the first two releases. There's also the real issue that the ports have been getting worse over time, which is not helping matters.

All of these numbers include Steam purchases directly along with key resellers (Humble Bundle, Amazon, GMG, Nuveem, etc.). They would not include GOG, but apparently Cave's games are all "too hardcore" for GOG's audience. (If I remember correctly, this was the actual reason GOG turned the games down... and people wonder why people want Valve's approach to the Steam storefront)

By the way, no numbers/updates for the Umihara Kawase games? They're fantastic, wish more people bought them, especially since Degica brought them back from the dead...

Umihara Kawase - Studio Saizensen - Degica - 7,000 (7,000)
Umihara Kawase Shun - Studio Saizensen - Degica - 7,000 (6,000)
Sayonara Umihara Kawase - Studio Saizensen - Degica - 9,000 (8,000)

The Umihara Kawase games deserve more love, but they've always been cult classics and have looked and played weird all the way around. If nothing else, the Steam ports are giving the games far more exposure than they ever had in the past.

May as well put in the other Studio Saizensen ports while I'm here.

Code of Princess - Studio Saizensen - Degica - 9,000 (9,000)
Blade Arcus - Studio Saizensen - Degica - 3,000 (3,000)
and me getting salty getting trolled by Degica over this game fsdgfsdgsfgsdgs

prudislav

Dragon Quest Heroes - 36.000 (34.000)
Bummed about this, maybe we never see sequel on pc =(
Who knows , maybe their barebones ports are so cheap to make that even these number are enough to continue porting (just no day and date like in case of anime titles)

well so far PS4 release of it is releasing in 4 months ... DQH PC got released after cca 3 months from the west PS4 release .. pretty much out of nowhere with little to no marketing ...
and so far even with such low numbers Koi is still releasing more and more PC ports ... randomly day and date (like AoT, Berserk) or delayed like the recently announced Gust drop ... but this time its likley on Square JPs side which also seems to randomly port stuff (like day and date Setsuna or the delayed FF X/X-2 remaster)

Jeiiya

It's fun seeing those Dragon's Dogma numbers. Actually, it's interesting seeing Capcom's numbers in general. I'm kind of shocked that RE6 outsold any of the other RE games by a decent margin. Though it's super hilarious seeing Operation Raccoon City doing over 10 times better than Umbrella Corps.

STHX

NAMCO

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition - 2.800.000 (2.783.000)
Dark Souls III - 1.328.000 (1.130.000)
Dark Souls II - 1.054.000 (1.024.000)
Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin - 996.000 (888.000)

Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja STORM 3 Full Burst - 547.000 (538.000)
Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja STORM Revolution - 302.000 (301.000)
Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja STORM 4 - 282.000 (205.000)

Dragon Ball Xenoverse - 644.000 (622.000)
Ace Combat Assault Horizon - 288.000 (290.000)
Tales of Zestiria - 274.000 (227.000)
One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 - 196.000 (165.000)
Tales of Symphonia - 166.000 (149.000)
Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 - 164.000 (NEW)
God Eater 2: Rage Burst - 112.000 (58.000)
Saint Seiya: Soldier's Soul - 29.000 (26.000)
One Piece: Burning Blood - 28.000 (16.000)
Ray Gigant - 5.000 (5.000)

You know, Namco is the best example of what happens when you publish games on Steam on the same date as the console versions, you advertise them and the ports are competent (or at least acceptable, Symphonia is better now). All DS titles are past 1 million (SOTFS will most likely pass it next winter sale), almost every retail (on console) release is above 100.000 (OPBB and SS are the only exception, and it may be because of poor/mediocre reception. Ray Gigant is not published by Namco on Steam, unlike what Steamspy says).
Even God Eater, (which isn't exactly a popular genre on pc, Toukiden sold almost 5 times less) seems to have almost doubled in sales compared to 3 months ago.

Honestly, 1 or 2 years ago I would have never thought Namco would put so much effort in these pc ports. Tekken 7 is going to be an interesting thing to watch for sure.

Kumubou

i dont see The House in Fata Morgana

VNs have been mostly getting skipped over due to how many of them there are and how few copies get sold, but this is one of the more notable releases so why not:

The House in Fata Morgana - Novectacle - MangaGamer - 3,000 (2,000)

(I also went and edited this and the Studio Saizensen games back into my first post. I also added La-Mulana because I feel like an idiot for missing a game that managed to sell over a quarter million copies. And I even backed the sequel on Kickstarter! Derp.)

Anything that doesn't immediately stick out as interesting for one reason or another is probably going to struggle at this point. A game like Xanadu Next probably would have done better a few years ago, but now it seems like a tough sell. It's kind of rough looking and the gameplay doesn't look all that good at a glance.

At least Trails SC is chugging along slowly but surely (and Ark of Napishtim, for that matter). Will be interesting to see how 3rd does.

I doubt 3rd's launch window sales will even break 10000. These games deserve so much more but they are indeed huge time commitments.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You know, Namco is the best example of what happens when you publish games on Steam on the same date as the console versions, you advertise them and the ports are competent (or at least acceptable, Symphonia is better now). All DS titles are past 1 million (SOTFS will most likely pass it next winter sale), almost every retail (on console) release is above 100.000 (OPBB and SS are the only exception, and it may be because of poor/mediocre reception. Ray Gigant is not published by Namco on Steam, unlike what Steamspy says).
Even God Eater, (which isn't exactly a popular genre on pc, Toukiden sold almost 5 times less) seems to have almost doubled in sales compared to 3 months ago.

It's not listed as a Scamco-published game. The OP included it because it was developed by Scamco.

Edit: Huh, It looks like Scamco has stopped applying the Aussie Tax. I should stop saying "Scamco".

Thanks for this, some really really interesting stuff here.

What's most notable to me is that the success stories are like super successful. Seeing DanganRonpa 1 & 2 close in on 200k (what they sold on Vita) is impressive for late ports, even if sold at discounted prices.

But it does really seem to be (rightfully so) that a success on consoles will translate to success on PC but a flop on consoles will continue to flop on PC. Numbers like these:

Arslan: The Warriors of Legend - 6.000 (5.000)
Elminage Gothic - 8.000 (10.000)
htoL#NIQ: The Firefly Diary - 9.000 (5.000)
Mugen Souls 2 - 3.000 (3.000)
XBlaze Code: Embryo - 1.000
XBlaze Lost: Memories - 1.000 (500)

Are quite sad to see, because they're all good games (in their own respective ways) yet PC gamers, even with heavy discounts, are just as dis-interested in them as console gamers. I'm sure they'll creep up in sales over time but only at bargain bin prices so probably not bringing in that much revenue.

Mugen Souls I'm especially surprised with. IFI are having such success with Nep, I wonder why Ghostlight can't replicate it here.

Also, I have to comment on:

Xanadu Next - 3.000 (NEW)
Little King's Story - 2.000 (3.000)

Such a damn shame. I mean, Xanadu might crawl up alright over time, but seeing LKS do so badly is upsetting. I played the (god-awful) Vita port and still thought it was an amazing game and it deserved all the success in the world. What are XSEED doing wrong with these? They actually had a really good early presence on Steam with Ys Origin and don't seem to be able to replicate it again. At least of Ark of Naptishim is climbing, deservedly so.

Street Fighter x Tekken - 129.000 (129.000)
aBbz0jm.gif

What's most notable to me is that the success stories are like super successful. Seeing DanganRonpa 1 & 2 close in on 200k (what they sold on Vita) is impressive for late ports, even if sold at discounted prices.

But it does really seem to be (rightfully so) that a success on consoles will translate to success on PC but a flop on consoles will continue to flop on PC. Numbers like these:

Are quite sad to see, because they're all good games (in their own respective ways) yet PC gamers, even with heavy discounts, are just as dis-interested in them as console gamers. I'm sure they'll creep up in sales over time but only at bargain bin prices so probably not bringing in that much revenue.

Mugen Souls I'm especially surprised with. IFI are having such success with Nep, I wonder why Ghostlight can't replicate it here.

Such a damn shame. I mean, Xanadu might crawl up alright over time, but seeing LKS do so badly is upsetting. I played the (god-awful) Vita port and still thought it was an amazing game and it deserved all the success in the world. What are XSEED doing wrong with these? They actually had a really good early presence on Steam with Ys Origin and don't seem to be able to replicate it again. At least of Ark of Naptishim is climbing, deservedly so.

I think that the main issue here is price - Danganronpa was priced well - but stuff like Arslan is barely dropping in prices and I ordered boxed PS4 version for 10,5 pounds while steam version was 20-30 euro in sale.

Stuff like Xanadu Next and LKS is also way too expensive - steam gamers are used to getting big name AAA games for cheap .

I have a lot of those things on my wishlist but price is not hitting levels I'm finding acceptable for their production values.

Arslan isnt that great. For a Musou its quite mediocre. Though the port was actually nice. One thing about the port though was that some animations are 30fps like super attacks, so it felt off, whenever you do a superattack, that it jumps to 30fps, then back to 60.

The other thing is, that some of XSeed games are promoted more than others. I mean everyone heard about Senran Kaguras release, but not really about LKS.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.

LKS was even more poorly handled than Xanadu. People had issues with the port itself when it came out and even now they haven't ironed out all the bugs IIRC (but maybe it's playable now?? I didn't keep track). Marketing wise though they didn't have any update for it at E3 and they still announced the release date right before it came out. I even thought it might be delayed at one point so I was a bit surprised when the release date was suddenly announced.

Sajko

I doubt 3rd's launch window sales will even break 10000. These games deserve so much more but they are indeed huge time commitments.

Don't forget 3rd is a PC exclusive for western release. I believe plenty of people who were previously on PSP will buy it on Steam. So it should be fine I think.

Eolz

LKS was even more poorly handled than Xanadu. People had issues with the port itself when it came out and even now they haven't ironed out all the bugs IIRC (but maybe it's playable now?? I didn't keep track). Marketing wise though they didn't have any update for it at E3 and they still announced the release date right before it came out. I even thought it might be delayed at one point so I was a bit surprised when the release date was suddenly announced.

Yeah, I own most of the games on OP's list, but didn't buy LKS after hearing all the issues it had. Unless it changed obviously.

Durante

Namco is really showing everyone how this is done.

Dark Souls games are of course in a league of their own, but you can't really fault other publishers too much in that regard since they don't really have anything comparable.

But many do have something comparable to Tales of Zestiria, and the reason Namco sold 274k of that on PC is entirely down to how they handle their PC releases compared to most other companies. Solid day-and-date ports have a huge impact on the number of copies you can sell, and the price you can sell them at.

Dark Souls games are of course in a league of their own, but you can't really fault other publishers too much in that regard since they don't really have anything comparable.

But many do have something comparable to Tales of Zestiria, and the reason Namco sold 274k of that on PC is entirely down to how they handle their PC releases compared to most other companies. Solid day-and-date ports have a huge impact on the number of copies you can sell, and the price you can sell them at.

How would you say are the quality of a port dependent on the sales? I mean One Piece PW3 still sold well, even if the port is one of the worst of K-T ones.
While Arslan, a kinda mediocre game, had one of the better K-T ports, but sold bad.

Lets just hope K-T contacted you for Atelier...

*shrug* I enjoyed what I played of it on PS4.

Nothing wrong with that, but as a huge Musou-fan I though it was a quite barebones game with bad leveldesign and not much variety, but a nice story and characters.

Stuff like Xanadu Next and LKS is also way too expensive - steam gamers are used to getting big name AAA games for cheap.

I wonder if this is gonna be a growing problem going forward as more and more older stuff is sold at Steam sale prices making any new game at full price a difficult sell.

I mean, Xanadu Next is £17 for me. On PSN you get well-received indie games launching for higher than that (i.e. Darkest Dungeon) but I'd say the ASP for something like that would be around £12. Which I'd pay. I'd expecting Ys Origin on PS4 to be in that price range and I wouldn't have a problem paying it.

Arslan isnt that great. For a Musou its quite mediocre. Though the port was actually nice. One thing about the port though was that some animations are 30fps like super attacks, so it felt off, whenever you do a superattack, that it jumps to 30fps, then back to 60.

*shrug* I enjoyed what I played of it on PS4.

LKS was even more poorly handled than Xanadu. People had issues with the port itself when it came out and even now they haven't ironed out all the bugs IIRC (but maybe it's playable now?? I didn't keep track).

I mean, the issues with the Vita port never got fixed, but I have to imagine it sold a bit more than 2k in its first 5 months at a higher price.

Not that it's any excuse for releasing a messy port on PC because XSEED should know better than anyone the demands of that market in terms of quality. WoM can destroy a game's sales if there's known problems with a port.

Durante

How would you say are the quality of a port dependent on the sales? I mean One Piece PW3 still sold well, even if the port is one of the worst of K-T ones.
While Arslan, a kinda mediocre game, had one of the better K-T ports, but sold bad.
You have to look at the most comparable cases. For example, Toukiden:Kiwami and God Eater 2.

In that case, you have two games in a quite similar genre. Toukiden actually reviewed significantly better on console than God Eater. And yet, the latter sold 5 times as much as the former.

Kumubou

One example that really sticks out to me is what happened with Guilty Gear Xrd: Revelator. ArcSys wanted to sell that game for $50 at launch and honestly, if the PC version released day-and-date with the console release, there would have been zero complaints with that. (Outside the typical complaints about how ArcSys handles their updates, but that's also applicable to the console version.) However, they tried to launch at that price nine months after the console version came out (and while the PS4 version was on sale for $18 on PSN that week!) and it just came off as absurdly tone-deaf, the pricing has caught a ton of crap and the game is doing significantly worse than the original release did. Good job, good effort ArcSys with that one.

You have to look at the most comparable cases. For example, Toukiden:Kiwami and God Eater 2.

In that case, you have two games in a quite similar genre. Toukiden actually reviewed significantly better on console than God Eater. And yet, the latter sold 5 times as much as the former.

I think a lot of people also bought God Eater 2, because they kinda got 2 games for the price of one.

Fancolors

Haven't played any of these games outside LKS on the Wii and a little bit of XBlaze, but in Mugen Soul's case, I think a significant part of its audience turned their backs because of 'censorship' (I don't know if it's legitimate or not, since I haven't touched it).

The LKS pc port I recall having some rough technical issues, which may have turned a lot of people off as well.

XBlaze is a VN tied with Blazblue, so that might have repelled potential buyers.

Kyougar

some games cost too much for their perceived age or niche status. Those cant build a fanbase with those prices.

KOEI is the most obvious of the bunch. Nobunaga and Romance games are massively overpriced

I always am surprised over the low costs for Final Fantasy games.

kromeo

Good figures for the 2 RE revelations games considering they likely didn't cost a whole lot to make, hopefully we get another one

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Dragon Quest Heroes - 36.000 (34.000)
Bummed about this, maybe we never see sequel on pc =(

Not surprising given the pricing. I'd gladly buy it if they put it on sale for $10-$20 like the PS4 version goes for. The best sale price I've seen is $27. Otherwise it's $40. There's no reason to pick it up for PC if you've got a PS4.

KOEI is the most obvious of the bunch. Nobunaga and Romance games are massively overpriced

The funny thing is that Koei actually prices them "well". They know their audience. Like most of Koeis games have a good regional chinese pricing. But they knew Chinese LOVE RottK and priced it at almost exactly the same price as the worldwide pricing.
And chinese still bought it. The majority of RottK buyers were from China at the time of the release.

Normally no chinese would pay 50$ for a game.

Not surprising given the pricing. I'd gladly buy it if they put it on sale for $10-$20 like the PS4 version goes for. The best sale price I've seen is $27. Otherwise it's $40. There's no reason to pick it up for PC if you've got a PS4.

It was 10€ during the Square-Enix wintersale on their website.

Shengar

some games cost too much for their perceived age or niche status. Those cant build a fanbase with those prices.

I always am surprised over the low costs for Final Fantasy games.

I'm quite surprised that RotK managed to break 100k mark with that price really. I guess RotK as a brand is really strong, especially in Asia region.

The funny thing is that Koei actually prices them "well". They know their audience. Like most of Koeis games have a good regional chinese pricing. But they knew Chinese LOVE RottK and priced it at almost exactly the same price as the worldwide pricing.
And chinese still bought it. The majority of RottK buyers were from China at the time of the release.

Normally no chinese would pay 50$ for a game.

I guess this is what happened.

Shame that Koei's strategy excellent port couldn't carry over to their other games for what ever reason.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I mean, the issues with the Vita port never got fixed, but I have to imagine it sold a bit more than 2k in its first 5 months at a higher price.

Not that it's any excuse for releasing a messy port on PC because XSEED should know better than anyone the demands of that market in terms of quality. WoM can destroy a game's sales if there's known problems with a port.

It was an early title for Vita though, it got a small but still notable marketing push from Konami for that. LKS for PC was announced for a vague "early 2016" release, and skipped E3, and then the release date was announced at the end of July to be August 5th. It suffered from both a stealth release and WoM.

matmanx1

GAF, next sales buy Xanadu Next, please, for the love of everything is good in the world.

Yeah, it really is a great game. And with Nvidia hardware you can supersample the heck out of it and play it at 4k downsampled to whatever. This makes the edges sharp enough to cut glass on and helps the game look a bit better.

Even so, it's the tight, slick gameplay that is the reason to play the game.

You said it. I bought Zestria and was satisfied with the port, even at launch. I already have Berseria pre-bought on Steam just because I have faith the port will be solid and Namco has done a good job at showing it off.

Eolz

Umihara Kawase - Studio Saizensen - Degica - 7,000 (7,000)
Umihara Kawase Shun - Studio Saizensen - Degica - 7,000 (6,000)
Sayonara Umihara Kawase - Studio Saizensen - Degica - 9,000 (8,000)

The Umihara Kawase games deserve more love, but they've always been cult classics and have looked and played weird all the way around. If nothing else, the Steam ports are giving the games far more exposure than they ever had in the past.

May as well put in the other Studio Saizensen ports while I'm here.

Code of Princess - Studio Saizensen - Degica - 9,000 (9,000)
Blade Arcus - Studio Saizensen - Degica - 3,000 (3,000)
and me getting salty getting trolled by Degica over this game fsdgfsdgsfgsdgs

Thanks for that update! Yeah, didn't expect much more like you said, but still, it's nice to see.

Lets just hope K-T contacted you for Atelier...

Nothing wrong with that, but as a huge Musou-fan I though it was a quite barebones game with bad leveldesign and not much variety, but a nice story and characters.

To be fair, even if it's a bad port/game, the popularity of the IP will still have an importance. Even on console nobody cared about Arslan.
I hope Musou Stars will be on PC, but I don't really believe it for this one, unlike DW9.

One example that really sticks out to me is what happened with Guilty Gear Xrd: Revelator. ArcSys wanted to sell that game for $50 at launch and honestly, if the PC version released day-and-date with the console release, there would have been zero complaints with that. (Outside the typical complaints about how ArcSys handles their updates, but that's also applicable to the console version.) However, they tried to launch at that price nine months after the console version came out (and while the PS4 version was on sale for $18 on PSN that week!) and it just came off as absurdly tone-deaf, the pricing has caught a ton of crap and the game is doing significantly worse than the original release did. Good job, good effort ArcSys with that one.

Yeah... At least this time Europe was well treated with Revelator, so hopefully PC will be better next time.
They should have at least included the DLC for free, like they did with Sign. I would have double dipped if they thought a bit more about the pricing.

patapuf

And by OK you mean "one of the best 2D fighting games ever made", right? :x

(I am bias, but I would still take Melty Blood over any other 2D fighter ever made, no question.)

I like it a lot but i don't know the first thing about 2D fighters and i'm biased because i like the VN :p

Ascheroth

Yeah, it really is a great game. And with Nvidia hardware you can supersample the heck out of it and play it at 4k downsampled to whatever. This makes the edges sharp enough to cut glass on and helps the game look a bit better.

Even so, it's the tight, slick gameplay that is the reason to play the game.

There's also the 'Framebuffer'-option in the launcher that is apparently the internal rendering resolution. Bumping that up a bit also increases the IQ a little.
They should have named that a little differently though.

But yeah, game's damn good regardless.

KainXVIII

This reminds me of Dragon Quest Builders, you would think that Minecraft being as big as it is on the PC, the would release Builders. Is basically the perfect game to introduce DQ to PC owners....

Yeah, DQB also got my attention!

Well, if i remember correctly price was reduced from 999 rubles to 699 (and i got it with discount on winter sale), don't know about other regions..

Don't forget that Steins;Gate also had a full on release through Jast with a nice physical SE and Download Key. So Steam release is over a year after Jast release.

Two and a half years, actually. The JAST release came out in early 2014, while the STEAM release was in September of 2016. So it was a very late release even just considering the PC platform itself.

Little Kings Story PC was a mess and last time I checked I'd still a buggy mess. I hope they don't work with whoever they farmed it out to again.

kswiston

Regarding Namco: In addition to same day releases, Namco has been very savvy when it comes to timely (and incrementally larger) sales on their titles. Idea Factory is on top of that as well. Final Fantasy is popular enough to get away with 50% or less sales (outside of price mistakes on their site) and never lowering the (admittedly reasonable) MSRP. Koei-Tecmo musou games not so much.

Sesha

With those DmC numbers I wish Capcom would release DmC Definitive Edition on Steam. Like, I know the reason why it's not on there, but the damn game keeps selling. I guess it keeps selling because the price drops so much on sales, and that wouldn't be there for a new release. But surely by now the sales price would have been $5-10 anyway.

That Dragon's Dogma number and Capcom still have yet to reveal DD 2. Classic Capcpom.

The director of Dragon's Dogma Online considers it to be DD2. Anyway, Dragon's Dogma is one of the most expensive games Capcom has made. So far DD + DA has sold about 3m. It's probably gonna need a lot more for it to be worth making a non-online Dragon's Dogma 2 for consoles.

Top Bottom