• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Look at Japanese Game Sales on Steam - Post-holiday 2016 edition [Steamspy figures]

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm sure revelator would've done better with a non-ridiculous price point and non-late release

And not piece-mealing DLC. They had it oh so right with Sign's release ($20, all DLC included) that it boggles my mind they fucked up that hugely with Revelator. I was there day-one for it until that price and the DLC not being included was announced. Now I'm in the "wait until it's $20 or so on Steam sale by which point GG will have a fifth revision hitting consoles before the fourth revision hits PC."

I have too many unplayed games on steam and pretty much stopped buying games. I'm one of the LotH: FC buyers that haven't installed the game and won't be buying the SC until I finish the first game. I feel bad for Xseed. I need to finish Ys games I've bought and then try out Xanadu Next.

Gurnlei

Got a lot of these games wishlisted but so many games in my backlog. I think a lot of lacking sales for newer games is for that reason.

kswiston

Got a lot of these games wishlisted but so many games in my backlog. I think a lot of lacking sales for newer games is for that reason.

That's definitely part of it. I think the days of blindly buying Japanese games on Steam because they were novel, or because you wanted to support future efforts, are done. We now have hundreds of titles to choose from. I think that there's still some holes in the Japanese game library (more recent, larger budget JRPGs being one), but some genres are beyond swamped.

Mrbob

Those Trails SC sales aren't too bad when the game is more expensive than the first and hasn't gone on sale as cheaply.

I'm one of those who bought the first game and haven't finished it yet. No reason to buy the sequel unless it goes on sale under 10 as an impulse buy.

Tizoc

i'm 100% sure that if XSEED used streamers and such for Xanadu Next that it would do better
This
When xseed announce their pc projects of 2017 ima gonna tweet them to get in touch with ytoubers at least to help promote the game
They lose nothing by doing this

Fdkn

200k+ since end of Oct 2016
Dragons Dogma - 644.000 (426.000)

As a sidenote, we can estimate that Humble Monthly subscriber for December were ~200k at most, probably less than that because the game was on sale also on steam by itself.

kswiston

As a sidenote, we can estimate that Humble Monthly subscriber for December were ~200k at most, probably less than that because the game was on sale also on steam by itself.

It was much less than that. Mordheim in that same bundle has increased about 70k since Dec 1st. 45-50k shortly after the humble monthly, and the rest during the Winter Sale.

Maybe 20-30% of Dragons Dogma's increase was related to the bundle.

Lomax

It was much less than that. Mordheim in that same bundle has increased about 70k since Dec 1st. 45-50k shortly after the humble monthly, and the rest during the Winter Sale.

Maybe 20-30% of Dragons Dogma's increase was related to the bundle.

Well we know the monthly has over 100k subscribers, but we also know (as you point out) that only about 50k keys tend to get activated for each game. Since Dragon's Dogma was a headline game that percentage is probably a bit higher, but yeah, definitely not all 200k.

The significant thing about Dragon's Dogma was it was in valve's own top 100 revenue for the year list, and that's direct sales on steam only.

ArjanN

This
When xseed announce their pc projects of 2017 ima gonna tweet them to get in touch with ytoubers at least to help promote the game
They lose nothing by doing this

I've seen this brought up before but I'm guessing it's actually harder to get streamers/youtubers to pay attention to your game than people think. Probably because tons of people are already trying to get their attention/ to feature their game.

I've seen this brought up before but I'm guessing it's actually harder to get streamers/youtubers to pay attention to your game than people think. Probably because tons of people are already trying to get their attention/ to feature their game.

Well you have to pay them a good portion of the time. XSeed probably just has no advertising budget.

kswiston

Well you have to pay them a good portion of the time. XSeed probably just has no advertising budget.

Their advertising budget is basically hitting twitter and saying

"BTW, we are releasing Trails in the Sky TC on Steam in 10 minutes"

Then calling it a day.

People seem to think it would work for all their games because it worked for the earlier Corpse Party games. What people don't get is there's a difference between streaming a 40+ hour niche jrpg and a horror game that someone can scream at and get millions of views. There's no money or viewers to be had in streaming a niche jrpg, why would anyone noteworthy want to bother streaming them?

Xseed also doesn't really have much of an advertising budget, so it's not like they could just pay people off to stream their games, like some other publishers do. They pretty much only stick to social media and rely on fans to spread the word, which works for some games, but isn't exactly doing well at getting people to actually finish the games they buy so they can move on to the sequels (Trails), which is where Xseed really needs help.

NeoRaider

Attack on Titan numbers are tragic. And i think that it deserves better.

Too bad KT priced it 60 and don't want to put it on bigger sale.

The Silver Case: 5,000 sales?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

My soul is crushed. We're never getting any more classic Suda games now, are we? :'(
I was wanting Moonlight Syndrome and The Silver Case: Ward 25 so bad too.

Was my GOTY 2016, possibly my favourite visual novel I've played yet. I'm so enamoured with Suda's Kill The Past series.

Xanadu Next's sales are really sad as well but at least that doesn't need a sequel to come over.

NeoRaider

The Silver Case: 5,000 sales?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

My soul is crushed. We're never getting any more classic Suda games now, are we? :'(
I was wanting Moonlight Syndrome and The Silver Case: Ward 25 so bad too.

Was my GOTY 2016, possibly my favourite visual novel I've played yet. I'm so enamoured with Suda's Kill The Past series.

Xanadu Next's sales are really sad as well but at least that doesn't need a sequel to come over.

He can always release Lollipop Chainsaw and Shadows of the Damned. I would be more than happy. :)

Their advertising budget is basically hitting twitter and saying

"BTW, we are releasing Trails in the Sky TC on Steam in 10 minutes"

Then calling it a day.

Thanks to this guy doubling the budget, you guys can expect a tweet AND maybe a post on FB now.

C1WuorCUUAAl9cU.jpg

Top Bottom