• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A love letter to The Wonderful 101

kenji

don't know how to start or even why I opened this thread since I'm not that active on the forum, got back home and I'm half drunk so maybe it's just that I want to write something, if it's a problem then close the thread

anyway, today was the first good day in two weeks, I'm sad because my girlfriend broke with me and I'm trying to figure what to do with myself for the time beings, I finally finished Twilight Princess, played Bravely Second with interest and talked with good friends

one of the best things about today was remembering and listening to this AWESOME song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9jbdsTkTmQ

and I thought about this game, how awesome it was when I played it two years ago

the_wonderful_101-1-11.jpg

so well.. I don't actually know what to say.. I don't want to really talk about it's gameplay, or it's story, or it's flaws (like every game has), it's just.. like I said.. like a love letter

I don't have this game anymore unfortunately, sold ita long time ago and now I'm looking fora cheap copy to buy, but I remember it with great pleasure, it was absolutely a blast to play,it was one of the most awesome games I ever played
not only about it's gameplay (always loved the stylish-action of Platinum Games), or it's awesome ost or story, but also the seriousness of the story and dialogues and at the same time a parody of a tragic story, I will never forget the awesome final act it had, when
I had to press A "TO SAVE THE WORLD", and the main characters inside the robot were pressing A with me
it was.. WONDERFUL

seriously, a WONDERFUL experience

the_wonderful_101_ending_screen_wallpaper_high_res_by_evpointmaster-d6yvx7u.png

I actually think that this game is what will represent Wii U for me, as a BIG Monolith Soft and Takahashi fan, I bought the Wii U for Xenoblade X alone when it was announced, and I played a lot of games with it, even big surprises I didn't expect to like (Mario Kart 8 for example, never was a fan of MK,but this was sooo good), but this game...I want to rememeber it for the rest of my life, it's such an awesome game and a fantastic experience,and even if it didn't sell, I'd really thank Nintendo for funding this,and Platinum Games and Hideki Kamiya for giving all their love to a masterpiece like this,and creating a game like this

so..well... PLAY IT! :p

It's the Gurren Lagann of Videogames. It's stupid and absurd to such an unbelievable scale. But the genuine feeling and heart that it possesses is ever more greater.

The best game Platinum has ever put together. It definitely has its own issues at times, but the combat mechanics are by far the greatest they have crafted. Bayonetta 2 felt less exciting and a bit stale coming after such an awesome game, and that's saying something.

EhoaVash

I recently went back to this, tried multiplayer with my brother now that he has a better understanding of the mechanics, lots of fun .

NotLiquid

This is one of the few games this gen that, when I completed, I took a good 10 minutes just soaking in the ending screen.

It's like, it didn't matter to me that it was flawed in several ways or that it took time to properly get around it. It was an experience. The kind of experience that constantly ramps itself up into a grand stakes finish that ends in the most explosive, satisfying way possible that allows you to reflect on the preceding hours. It's a game that makes you feel empowered. It's a game that wants you to do good, and it is incredibly encouraging.

With this game and Viewtiful Joe, Kamiya recognizes how much of an asset the player is and how much making them feel like they're great for playing and beating the game is important. It's the kind of game that might just appreciate you more than you appreciate it, and I love it for that.

My favorite game this gen, still.

Mr_Moogle

I own a copy of this game but I find the controls confusing as hell. It's a shame because I really want to like this game.

Neff

I felt like Kamiya and PG made the game just for me. That's how much of a perfect fit it is.

Instant modern classic.

Nosgotham

I borrowed this game from a friend and played it every day til I beat it. Then I gave it back to him and went to the store and bought a copy immediately. I have never done that in my life.

The game was so refreshing and unique

I own a copy of this game but I find the controls confusing as hell. It's a shame because I really want to like this game.

Just put more time into it, Learn them and perfect that. That's part of the greatness of this game.

Jashobeam

Reminds me that I still need to finish this game, now I feel bad for ignoring my Wii U for many, many months.

*looks at unplayed copy of of Xenoblade Chronicles X....

kenji

Reminds me that I still need to finish this game, now I feel bad for ignoring my Wii U for many, many months.

*looks at unplayed copy of of Xenoblade Chronicles X....

seriously, I was actually thinking about talking about all the Wii U games other than W101, there are SO many games that are just awesome and fun to play, on this failed console

oh and I have a 3DS and a PS4, it's not like I only have the Wii U, I love playing on those other consoles, but damn..

I have to buy W101 and Bayo 2 again, I love Platinum Games too much

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Yo when red and blue had that rivalry, right in the feels bro.

Neff

This game... It was too good for this world...

Why didn't it sell well?!

No advertising whatsoever, reviewers sucked at playing it and marked it down as a result, and it was released while interest in Wii U was at its all-time lowest.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if NX got a port, though.

Still one of my favorite Wii U games to play, but I will say that it's not that fun to replay a good chunk of.

Having a Wonderful 102 with everything refined/polished like how Bayonetta was would make it my favorite action game of all time.

OryoN

Hmm, where to start?

- The Wonderful 101 - along with Splatoon - is easily one of the most refreshingly fun games I played this generation.

- It's one of the most unique action games I've played, period.

- It's the most insane/over-the-top action games I've ever played(Bayo 2 is super close!).

- It #1 on my list for most incredible/memorable ending chapters ever!

If you've been weary of the direction most games have been going today(bloated/padded open-worlds, or tiresome hand-holders), then this game is a true diamond in the rough. Even among other gems, it's still precious.

PedroRVD

Same here... I love my Wii U so much and I have bought every exclusive for it and loved them. This was the only game that never clicked with me ... So confusing, my first 2 hours with it were terrible and never gave it another chance.

I really wanted to like it :( ... Especially because I love platinum

Aldric

Always been baffled by the popularity of this game. It's an unfocused frustrating mess. Having a good idea isn't enough if the execution doesn't follow and this game is just terrible at focusing on its strenghts.

And no, l don't think the game is too hard, nor do l want to watch hours of let's play videos to "understand" it.

Hmm, where to start?

- The Wonderful 101 - along with Splatoon - is easily one of the most refreshingly fun games I played this generation.

- It's one of the most unique action games I've played, period.

- It's the most insane/over-the-top action games I've ever played(Bayo 2 is super close!).

- It #1 on my list for most incredible/memorable ending chapters ever!

If you've been weary of the direction most games have been going today(bloated/padded open-worlds, or tiresome hand-holders), then this game is a true diamond in the rough. Even among other gems, it's still precious.

This. The game's only fault was being released too soon in the console generation cycle (when everybody was paying attention to Watchdogs, Destiny and all that crap).

Hindsight is 20/20.

Arthimura

You guys just convinced me to get this game, i bought a Wii U a few months ago and i didn't played The Wonderful 101 yet, looks like it will be a amazing experience, and i remember watching Viewtiful Joe when i'm was a kid.

TheOasis

Damn, even though I played TW101 almost 2 years ago just thinking about it's finale and how it was such a glorious, climactic, over-the-top treat for the senses STILL makes me all giddy inside.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I bought it a few months ago when I saw a copy. It had long disappeared from store shelves. As something of a Platinum and Nintendo completist I needed it.

But I haven't played it much yet. It's on my to do list...

Raysoul

Always been baffled by the popularity of this game. It's an unfocused frustrating mess. Having a good idea isn't enough if the execution doesn't follow and this game is just terrible at focusing on its strenghts.

And no, l don't think the game is too hard, nor do l want to watch hours of let's play videos to "understand" it.

You don't have to watch hours of gameplay videos to understand it. The game is very easy to learn even for 10 year olds.

One of the GOAT games for me. It really justifies my Wii U purchase.

TW101 is probably my highlight of the console gen. I don't even care for character action that much but like the OP says, it was an experience. All the frustration worth it for the last few hours, smiling like a loon. Gurren Lagann is a great comparison.

Aldric

You don't have to watch hours of gameplay videos to understand it. The game is very easy to learn even for 10 year olds.

l was mocking the common defenses used against any criticism of the game (another personal favorite of mine is "the first playthrough is like a tutorial!!"), but thanks for the heads up.

jdstorm

Banned

I felt like that at first. played the demo and liked it. Then put it down for a few months. Got a free digital copy with Mario Kart 8, played a few early missions and got frustrated and put it down. Then I picked it up again a few months later and everything just clicked. Ended up finishing the game within a few weeks and had a blast

Yes, The Wonderful 101 is a fantastic game. It's absolutely one of my favourite action games that I've ever played. A highly underrated game, in my opinion.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I can't sing this game's praises enough.
It's one of the reasons I consider the Wii U an underappreciated gem.

I'm still salt that Wonder Red didn't make it into Smash 4.

There's always hope for Smash 5, or the NX Remaster.

It really does help that the sheer dearth of original superhero concepts in video games helps give this thing a major sense of identity off the bat.

Otherwise its a game that's flawed but immensely fun, and yeah, my standout for the generation. It was the first game I got for the Wii U (technically I got the Wind Waker HD bundle, but I bought W101 the day before the console arrived), and I feel it's gonna stick with me.

It also gave me one of my favourite video game characters. I can't explain why without too many spoilers, but Wonder Red is an awesome example of how you write a superhero.

Top Bottom