• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A message from Tetsuya Nomura

Translation from here:

Usually when new information is released I speak about it in interviews with the media etc., but this time the opportunity didn't line up, so I'm going to speak to you directly through Twitter.

First, I must apologise. As was stated today, due to the adjustment of contiguous titles, our estimated release date for KINGDOM HEARTS 2.8 of December 2016 has become (for Japan) the 12th January 2017. To everyone who was looking forward to a release before the end of the year, I'm so sorry. Please rest assured that development itself is moving along as planned without a single issue and we are nearly finished.

There will again be two kinds of demo booths at TGS, 0.2 and DDD. The number of DDD booths in particular will be quite low, so if you have your heart set on experiencing KH at 60fps, please leave plenty of time to come to the booths. The smoothness and feel of the controls of DDD in actual motion is very fresh. Also, the 0.2 demo booths are the same style as the ones that were out at E3 this year. That means the style is already different compared to the style in the trailer we just released. The final commercial version is currently undergoing even more quality upping, but I think you can get a pretty good taste of the controls themselves from the demo. Please take this chance to get a feel of the first KH game produced for PS4.

In the trailer released at the same time as this message, I included some rather interesting scenes, as this won't be the last trailer, and it's designed to make you look forward to what's coming next. Best of all, the Hikaru Utada's Hikari -Ray of Hope Mix- included in the trailer was remixed ESPECIALLY FOR the opening of 0.2. Please look forward to getting to hear this new version of Hikari along with the opening movie.

With the development deadline approaching we are currently busy with last-minute work on 2.8, but for the first time in history our box art was actually ready before the release date announcement. I think I'll let the awesomeness of this miraculous planning speak for how well things are going. By the way, it will of course be compatible with the PS4Pro, so be excited. Furthermore, the other game we are working on while doing this, KH3, is coming along steadily. There are new worlds in which you can run, jump, [spoilers], [spoilers]... I'm very excited about moving Sora around in the wider space with his higher range of maneuverability. Next year is the 15th year anniversary, and first there's the release of 2.8, then that same month Unchained χ gains multiplayer functionality, and in March the full orchestra world tour (reservations for which opened today) begins, and actually, there's something else being planned for around then that I can't announce yet… One way or another, I think next year will be full of chances for me to announce new information, and I will be blessed to have reached fifteen memory-filled years with all of you.

Kingdom Hearts series director Tetsuya Nomura

DKHF

That KHIII tease. Really cool to get a message like this from him.

Next year is the 15th year anniversary, and first there's the release of 2.8, then that same month Unchained χ gains multiplayer functionality, and in March the full orchestra world tour (reservations for which opened today) begins, and actually, there's something else being planned for around then that I can't announce yet…
Hmm KHIII release date announcement event? Please Nomura.

raven777

First, I must apologise. As was stated today, due to the adjustment of contiguous titles, our estimated release date for KINGDOM HEARTS 2.8 of December 2016 has become (for Japan) the 12th January 2017.
should just straight out say FFXV. :p

Vashetti

Banned
so be excited

PLEASE-BE-EXCITED-MEME-03172015.jpg

JTripper

No way KH3 is coming out next year. Best we can hope for or expect is just more game info/footage, possibly a release window of 2018, and/or a huge collection of all the remasters for current gen systems. That's what I think anyway.

Or the real dream announcement that Utada returns for a new original theme for KH3.

RPGCrazied

The real reason its being delayed is cause of XV delay and PS4 Pro. But we don't want to actually say that. Got it.

JSevere

did FFXV's delay really cause this game to get pushed back to Jan? lol, that makes the shade thrown on the box art even funnier

really excited for the future of the series so I can't wait to see what they have in store. hope we get plenty of KH3 news next year

Hasney

Maybe so but still would be cool to have an event like that with other big announcements besides the date.

True, just hopefully learn lessons and have a KH3 detail blowout with a target area like Q3 2017 or something, just no date so far out!

Pendas

Banned
Can't say I'm surprised. I lost a lot of faith in Nomura over the years. His projects are too ambitious and suffer from constant push backs. I lost interest in Kingdom Hearts years ago when they kept rehashing / remaking the same games to stretch the series (and cash the fanboy paychecks.)

RK128

With KHII.8 releasing next year & more content coming to KH Chi, its very likely KH3 will not even hit 2017 :l. Meh, don't mind waiting if the final game is fun :). But similar to Persona 5, all the delays and long development drastically lowered my hype for KH3.

Personally happy with what I saw of KHII.8 (the Aqua portion); it seems Aqua will be exploring the princess-themed worlds from Birth By Sleep but with a 'dark twist' to them considering
she is stuck in the Realm of Darkness

Hopeful we get to explore all the Princess worlds from BbS (Cinderella & Sleeping Beauty confirmed so far based on released gameplay footage).

RK128

I wonder if Kingdom Hearts 3 is going to be cross-platform with the PS5.

If the PS5 releases in 2020, then I wouldn't expect that. But if the game is pushed back again next year, then I could see it really end up being a early-life PS5 launch game.

Look at this way, at least FFXV left development hell and is coming out this Fall :).

KH3 or FF7 remake. Which one do you think will come first?

Wouldn't be shocked if next year has the first release of FFVII Remake (if its three parts) alongside a Complete collection of I.5, II.5 & II.8 for PS4 next year.

The real reason its being delayed is cause of XV delay and PS4 Pro. But we don't want to actually say that. Got it.

This right here. Smart move to delay it so SE can bank on XV more-so, especially how much the company has invested in this project, yet I still feel uneasy that development in certain games is being halted so it can be optimized for the PSPro.

DKHF

KH3 or FF7 remake. Which one do you think will come first?
I think (at least) one of them will come out near the end of 2017 (obviously only part 1 of FFVIIR, not the full series of games). Which one though I'm not sure, it could go either way, 50/50 chance.

Famassu

No way KH3 is coming out next year. Best we can hope for or expect is just more game info/footage, possibly a release window of 2018, and/or a huge collection of all the remasters for current gen systems. That's what I think anyway.

Or the real dream announcement that Utada returns for a new original theme for KH3.
There's a chance it could be out by the end of 2017. Not a huge chance, but a chance still. I mean, the development of the game started around Summer/Fall 2012 and we already got to see the game in action at E3 2015 (somewhat early, clearly, but not some total pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre alpha build with completely unfinished assets, simple environments & gameplay without any polish). Despite some technical hurdles, the Osaka Team have proven to be a pretty efficient developer so I'd imagine almost 5,5 years for the big finale could be enough for them.

Top Bottom