• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Metal Gear Timeline to rule them all - a fan project

Hey everyone,

I'm here to show you something I've made with passion and love in the past month. I've recently taken a short break from gamedev to make Metal Gear Timeline, a website that includes (in chronological order) all the events of the saga, starting from MGS3 all the way to Rising.

THE TIMELINE DOES NOT INCLUDE MGSV:TPP SPOILERS :)

I've made it for all the fans who have no time to watch long YouTube videos but still want to freely check a relatively in-depth explanation of the events of the saga. I hate to self-promote like this, and I sincerely hope this doesn't go against the rules of the forum.

Many people reached out to translate the timeline to other languages (right now it's in English and Italian) and the Dutch, Russian, French, Spanish and German translations are on their way.

The website was built in my spare-time and I hope I will be able to spend more time on it to improve it as much as possible. I'm absolutely open to contributions in terms of feedback or donations to support hosting and development costs (more info directly on the website). I would really appreciate to have feedback for what concerns form and content.

I hope you find the website helpful, which is the reason why I made the Metal Gear Timeline in the first place.

Only 7 days left!

A Metal Gear fan

aember

Oh wow! I saw this back when it was posted in /r/metalgearsolid, like 10-ish days ago and was considering sending you some ideas/suggestions for the site, but over a day or two it completely went out of my head. Nice to see you're posting this here now though!

BB_Salute.gif

Wow, this looks good! But before I read everything I have to ask, there are spoilers for the TPP?

I updated the open post, the timeline DOES NOT include spoilers of TPP. I think I will include TPP as soon as I finish it, but will force users to show it by manually by pressing a "Show TPP" button. I would hate to spoil it to new players!

Thanks everyone for the kind comments, they are really encouraging :)

Hopeford

Man, excellent work!

Also I hope I'm not the only one who can't stop giggling from the slow descent from super serious cold war stuff into Rising cyborg ninjas. Goddamn it I love that Rising is part of the timeline, it makes everyone so much funnier in hindsight.

I updated the open post, the timeline DOES NOT include spoilers of TPP. I think I will include TPP as soon as I finish it, but will force users to show it by manually by pressing a "Show TPP" button. I would hate to spoil it to new players!

Thanks everyone for the kind comments, they are really encouraging :)

Fantastic! Thanks for that, going to read everything now!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
You forgot Brawl.
My headcanon tells me that was a younger Solidus, as it was Big Boss' face model with a modern sneaking suit.

I'm sorta joking, but that would be cool

Woffls

Excellent work. Look forward to reading this whilst I rewatch Portable Ops and Peace Walker.

If you feel like extending it, maybe allow filtering by character to look at a specific character's timeline for research? Either by tagging each event with relevant characters, or just basing it on keywords I guess.

Just read through it all.....wow that was a lot to take in. I only beat MGS1 and 2 and played most of 4 so I had a lot to catch up on.

Thanks for all the hard work!

Thanks everyone for the kind words and especially to some of you who are sharing the timeline on Twitter and other social media!

Excellent, OP! Congrats!

If you need help for the French translation, I'd love to help you!

We have two people on it already, I hope it's enough for having it ready before the release. In any case, drop me an email :) Thank you!

I notice you use both Grey Fox and Gray Fox, not sure if intentional. American spelling is with an a, if that is relevant.

Thanks! The mistake is fixed and the timeline will be updated soon (I usually update when there is a "block" of small fixes)

Excellent work. Look forward to reading this whilst I rewatch Portable Ops and Peace Walker.

If you feel like extending it, maybe allow filtering by character to look at a specific character's timeline for research? Either by tagging each event with relevant characters, or just basing it on keywords I guess.

That would be really cool but perhaps it would diverge from the original vision of the project. The timeline doesn't want to be a Wiki (there's a Wiki for that ^^), but rather a very linear and accessible timeline. I am actually trying to figure out if there are ways to simplify the timeline (removing unnecessary details) but the amount of data is extremely overwhelming... Thanks for the suggestion!

Sakujou

Banned
what about ghost babel?
i thought this game has something to do with the original stuff?
or is it a complete non-canon-spin-off?

seems so.

RAIDEN1

Thing is though with Metal Gear 5 being set in 1984, the tech they are using, as if it is 2084! So in Kojima's world of 1984, technology is sooo advanced, that whatever happens, in 1995- 2005, is amateurish by comparison....

Double D

Just read all of this. I've played MGS 1, 2 and 4. While I was reading it I realized that the only story element I actually remembered (comprehended?) was that Big Boss was Solid Snake's dad.

Top Bottom