• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A new and clever way to approach rewards: Nintendo 3DS pedometer coins discussion

Maybe the pedo-meter is Nintendo's child friendly alternative to friend codes!

We can only hope.

Is there anything to stop the Wii Balance Board from hooking up with 3DS game(s)?
A portable Wii Fit (3DS Fit or whatever) that took account of the pedometer data AND used the balance boards people already own would probably find itself doing very well...

Does anyone else miss the rumour mill that used to surround Nintendo hardware launches? Remember the days of IGN FAQs and fact-sheets, regularly updated with the latest rumours, the Gamecube Mastah and so on? If there's anything new at the January 19 event, I just wish there were some rumour of it...

Sounds like a really progressive concept, although I don't think it will be used quite how you guys are saying. I really doubt it's going to be used for core game content for one thing. You won't unlock world 8-2 for going on a jog. Ever.

And also, are you that really worried about it being abused? As far as we know, there aren't a finite amount of coins to be won. That - coupled with the fact that we don't have much information on Nintendo's online infrastructure, any online games or any rewards for those online games (or if those rewards are tied into gameplay for that matter) - seems like you guys are trying to hard to be honest.

Foffy

Banned
Here's hoping I can get enough coins to unlock the region free mode to the system! :D

Seriously though, it sounds like an interesting idea but I only really have time for games at home, so I don't think I'll take advantage of this system.

Freezie KO said:
Further, I would argue that Person B is not hindering Person A's enjoyment at all. It's very laissez faire.
that doesn't change the fact the psychologically, their IS a difference between having an option and not using it, and not having an option. you can't say 'well they can just choose not to use that option' as if thats equivalent to the option not being there.

person A and person B both, cannot have their own way in a manner that doesn't effect the other. person A likes having an achievement (or unlocking something) because it *means* something. whether that's access to a mode, or a level, or a magic badge on their profile, that thing has worth to them because it can't just be easily unlocked.

if you make the required work to unlock it optional, you have drastically devalued it for person A. there's no way around that. you have now made 'unlocking X' feel like less of a reward.

now i don't have any issue with a game that has everything unlocked from the beginning, and i'm no fan of grinding, but it means something to me to say 'have you unlocked that level yet?' to my friends.

i don't like the new levels and unlocks direction that online gaming has gone in, personally, but i can clearly see that millions do, and i understand that it can't be had both ways. not because it fits what i want to hold that position, but because its true.

people like grinding to earn things, or they wouldn't buy the games that required it. it would absolutely fundamentally change their experience to make the griding optional even if they chose never to excercise that choice, because they'd always know that whenever they felt like it they *could* excersize that option.

it can't be had both ways. that's all i'm getting at.

Just had another thought (one that indicates I should probably stop thinking) -- it'd be really great / annoying if the 3DS made the d-ding coin noise as you walked / jogged / ran. I kinda wish they'd included GPS.

rdaneel72

What 3DS really needs is a GPS, so it can track distance travelled, not merely steps taken. I bring my DS to work every day (though I rarely have the time to play it there), but I drive to work. Last August, wife and I drove across the USA and back, 7000 miles and 14 states in 3 weeks. Could've racked up a lot of coins.

Perhaps you could enter your location into the 3DS system memory, then, if you travel across the country and connect with many 3DSs with different locations, that could be translated as distance travelled. Same idea without a GPS chip.

Vinci

Danish
Stumpokapow said:
the cleverness is that it takes the existing paradigm of using game-external actions to unlock game rewards (seen all over the place; register at the developer's site for bonus content, like us on facebook for new levels, play game x to unlock a costume in game y) and marries it to encouraging people to carry their 3ds with them all the time.

this has a triple effect:
- 1) positive active living pr garbage with respect to kids
- 2) streetpass might not totally suck outside of japan as a result of this
- 3) the 3ds will be carried with people, heading off the "i've got a phone so i'm not carrying anything else" argument.

Thank you for writing this out more clearly than I could have. People not understanding the reasoning behind this is baffling as all hell - and some of those people are actually good, smart posters ordinarily too.

Honestly, this is a brilliant idea. I've given Nintendo shit for other things related to this system, but this one? It's gold.

Vinci said:
Thank you for writing this out more clearly than I could have. People not understanding the reasoning behind this is baffling as all hell - and some of those people are actually good, smart posters ordinarily too.

Honestly, this is a brilliant idea. I've given Nintendo shit for other things related to this system, but this one? It's gold.

I'm betting that they probably have some sort of focus test or research behind it too... perhaps something simple and obvious, suggesting that users who carry their portable with them the most play and buy more games. I just hope that there isn't an over-reliance on StreetPass as a community building gimmick, and that their online plan is improved this time around.

I *do* think it will be cool to inadvertantly meet gamers in the locality, and as I mentioned in other posts - if they made a 3DS Fit game that used the pedometer data or something, I'd lap it up. I'm keen to see what use these coins really have, what they're worth virtually, and how they market and incentivise people using them... like the Points system and Stars on the Club Nintendo and Nintendo-Europe VIP sites, it could either be awesome or not so awesome.

Amir0x

Banned
I mean the actual effectiveness of it will still depend on how many developers decide to actually allow free unlockable content with no real perceptible benefit to themselves (except, maybe, 3DS owners might play more games, which may lead to more people playing their games), but I'm surprised so many people can't even see the shred of brilliance in it.

From a marketing standpoint alone, it seems just incredibly 'why-didn't-anyone-think-of-this-before' clever.

Hiltz

It sounds like an interesting concept. However, it will probably be another one of Nintendo's underused gimmicks. Just like GBA connectivity, e-card reader, Wii Speak, DS microphone, Wii remote speaker, Wii wheel,MotionPlus, and the Wii channel concept to name a few.

Top Bottom