• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A new and clever way to approach rewards: Nintendo 3DS pedometer coins discussion

Amir0x

Banned
So, here's what the word is about the coins that we've seen around town on the 3DS:

The internal podometer of the console gets how many steps you've walked and will reward you with Game Coins that can be used to unlock extra content.

This content will be unlocked in the different retail games, and coins are not tied to an specific game, nor the AR games or the embedded software. All games can use this feature.

It's expected the Street Pass feature will be emphasized through this

Link

Now, let's just assume it's 100% true for a moment. There are some real clever implications here that I think are really forward thinking on Nintendo's part. For one, you can earn stuff for your game even when you're not playing. This ties "lifestyle" to your game, which is so brilliant I'm a little surprised this is the first time it has been thought of at this level.

I hate achievements, but, I don't hate walking. I don't hate doing shit in real life. Real life is awesome. But I do like games and it's a hobby. The added bonus, of course, is it might encourage some to keep walking. If I was not thinking of taking my 3DS with me some times, now I certainly would. Even from a marketing standpoint this is a really incredibly clever bit of functionality.

So, discuss this little under-reported feature and its implications, along with other "lifestyle marriage" type functionality that can be implemented into these devices.

rxBj4.png

But I definitely think its a great way to promote a more active lifestyle in combination with the fact that it's a portable device. Imagine gaining gold in an RPG through this "feature" or something like that.

DangerStepp

WickedLaharl said:
wonder if i can strap it to a pet and earn shit when i'm not using it.
:lol
Your cat is gonna love you.

It's a pretty neat idea... I guess the idea is to encourage you to tote around your 3DS more than you usually would?

garth2000

I just had a hilarious image of a line up of people at the hardware store waiting to put their 3DS in the paint shaker to quickly unlock a rare weapon.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
TBH it seems like a fairly silly idea to me. I'm not sure what the logical connection is? I can think of many other cross-game systems relating to 'currency' in games that would make a lot more sense.

But maybe it'll make sense in some games. Like maybe nintendogs - where you go walking and stuff with your dog, maybe your dog will be happier the more you walk in the real world or something (?) I dunno. But otherwise I think it's either going to go very unsupported by games, or have very tenuous/contrived connections.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
WickedLaharl said:
wonder if i can strap it to a pet and earn shit when i'm not using it.

This is a brilliant idea by Nintendo, but couldn't you just turn on the dryer/washer with the 3DS on top of it and earn tons of coins? And what is the incentive for Third Parties to included extra content unlocked by pedometer coins? They don't get any money from it (neither does Nintendo, but this whole system is obviously there to encourage people to always have their 3DS on them.Which you would figure that would equal more purchases which leads to more ching ching for Nintendo).

I think we gotta wait until we have more information before we fully can judge this system.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Seems like the entire point is to counter the movement of other devices (iPad, smart phones and iPodTouche) from replacing the DS/PSP as a device which you travel with.

Seems like a very simple way to reward players who travel with their system.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Skiesofwonder said:
but this whole system is obviously there to encourage people to always have their 3DS on them.Which you would figure that would equal more purchases which leads to more ching ching for Nintendo).

Pretty much. It's an extremely contrived system designed to support Nintendo's goals, not what would actually make sense in a games achievement system.

I mean, people mentioned unlocking a costume in Street Fighter using this for example. But...really? What's the logical connection again? It may as well count how many times I take it to the toilet and reward me for that. It would be about as relevant a connection to make.

Raxus said:
Nintendo's polite way of saying "get your moving if you want to play, fatass."
I think Nintendo actually wants to encourage you to take your 3DS with you to make the Street Pass feature a more widely used thing. We already have a situation in Japan where many people carry their handhelds with them and have them interact with other peoples handhelds. It's a very social thing and a big selling point for games like Pokemon, Dragon Quest or Monster Hunter. I'm sure Nintendo would like to have a similar situation outside of Japan.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
:lol @ ppl getting so defensive just because you can unlock some extras by takin your 3ds with you..... I dont see a Problem with that. I'll take my 3ds with me as often as possible because if this ( and spotpass)

Instro

gofreak said:
Pretty much. It's an extremely contrived system designed to support Nintendo's goals, not what would actually make sense in a games achievement system.

I mean, people mentioned unlocking a costume in Street Fighter using this for example. But...really? What's the logical connection again? It may as well count how many times I take it to the toilet and reward me for that. It would be about as relevant a connection to make.

Im pretty sure you earn coins by playing games as well, walking with the 3DS is just a way to earn extra coins for your unlocks. I dont see what is so contrived about it?

gofreak said:

Ehh, I don't see how this is in any way contrived and why do people keep asking for a logical connection? Why does it matter? It's a system wide rewards system. Games can be played on the system. There's the connection

swerve

gofreak said:
What's the logical connection again? It may as well count how many times I take it to the toilet and reward me for that. It would be about as relevant a connection to make.

But that wouldn't be the *only* way to unlock it, just a special reward for people who have saved up enough coins.

They trialled it with the PokeWalker, and before that with Nintendogs (using time instead of footsteps), getting you new routes, picking up in-game items as you were out and about, etc.

It's totally fluff, but brilliant, happy-making, player-rewarding fluff.

Emitan

I spend all day sitting in a chair at work and I try to just lay around playing games on the weekend. Sure, there's time on the weekend for walking but I better not be locked out of content because I don't bring a game system with me when I'm walking.

Skiesofwonder

gofreak said:

I figure (hope) they're other ways to gain coins through an achievement system or money, and the walking aspect can only gain you a small fraction of coins unless you walk a TON.

That way Third Parties will have an incentive to use it for extra content as well.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
gofreak said:

it isn't a games achievement system, so i'm not sure why you expect it to be.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Amir0x said:
I hate achievements, but, I don't hate walking. I don't hate doing shit in real life. Real life is awesome. But I do like games and it's a hobby. The added bonus, of course, is it might encourage some to keep walking. If I was not thinking of taking my 3DS with me some times, now I certainly would. Even from a marketing standpoint this is a really incredibly clever bit of functionality.
Eh...I love walking. I walk pretty much wherever I go. Problem is I never take my DS with me. Too bulky and when I'm out I don't really have time to play.

Billychu said:
I spend all day sitting in a chair at work and I try to just lay around playing games on the weekend. Sure, there's time on the weekend for walking but I better not be locked out of content because I don't bring a game system with me when I'm walking.
It will really have to depend on how restrictive game developers work around this feature.

Wiseblade

Nintendo must really believe in this "always-on-connectivity" gimmick.

Iwata: Carry you 3DS with you ALL THE TIME to unlock stuff!
Miyamoto: Bump into other people carrying their 3DS to unlock even more stuff!

It's nice, but it's only going to appeal to people who live in cities ad regularly commute. AS secondary (tertiary?) gimmick maybe, but not something I'd imagine will be a big focus in Nintendo advertising campaign, especially outside of Japan.

However, the gaming possibilities have got me thinking...

Very clever idea. I do agree that this seems to be more about getting people to have a 3ds on them, and not so much about encouraging exercise. Regardless, cut the person who came up with that a check because it's a great concept for them.

I don't like it, because I only play handheld systems at home. In fact I don't use any kind of portable entertainment device when I'm outside, because I think "real life is awesome" and don't want any of that shit to distract me.
I don't like the concept that it's done to promote an active lifestyle. My lifestyle is active as it is and I fitness 3 times a week. I seperate gaming from this "lifestyle", because I see it as my lazy/relaxing/comfy hobby when I have free time at home.

Instro

Stumpokapow said:

Assuming you can get coins through normal gameplay, they could build an achievement system around it no? Instead of just getting trophies or whatever, you receive a set coin reward as well.

Skiesofwonder

Stumpokapow said:

We don't know all the details about it do we? So it potentially could be an evolution of such a system with a Nintendo spin on it.

Skiesofwonder said:

This is a brilliant idea by Nintendo, but couldn't you just turn on the dryer/washer with the 3DS on top of it and earn tons of coins?
With the Pokéwalker, a Pokémon would reach their next level and then not be able to go any further until they'd been transferred back to the game. Perhaps there's something similar here. It can still be gamed, surely, but they could have it so you could only gain X number of coins in a given sleep session or something.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Instro said:
Assuming you can get coins through normal gameplay, they could build an achievement system around it no? Instead of just getting trophies or whatever, you receive a set coin reward as well.

yes, assuming there is a totally different system that we don't know about where you can unlock achievements, that would be an achievement system. but this isn't any more than the pokewalker is an achievement system.

the pillars of something being an achievement system are:
1) a set of in-game actions or behaviours are codified into a checklist
2) performing these behaviours checks off the item on the list, which may or may not contribute to an overall score and may or may not result in in-game benefits or unlocks
3) these lists can be shared and compared

I'm cool with the idea but isn't it a little big to be carrying around in your pocket all day?

I was planning on taking it with me most places I go since I already wear a backpack most of the time, but I doubt the pedometer will register that way.

Einbroch

Banned
Herbspicesoy said:
I don't like it, because I only play handheld systems at home. In fact I don't use any kind of portable entertainment device when I'm outside, because I think "real life is awesome" and don't want any of that shit to distract me.
I don't like the concept that it's done to promote an active lifestyle. My lifestyle is active as it is and I fitness 3 times a week. I seperate gaming from this "lifestyle", because I see it as my lazy/relaxing/comfy hobby when I have free time at home.
Put it in your bag if you go to classes. Put it in your suitcase if you ride the train to work. Put it in your pocket if you walk to the local grocery store. Leave it in your car when you drive to work or go to a bar.

Even if you don't, oh well. You won't get that extra skin for your character.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i guess i'm just imagining the ideal scenario--some kid who would otherwise be pretty idle going out for a walk to earn coins, realizing the walk is enjoyable separate of the coin-earning, developing healthier habits--but regardless of whether this is an arbitrary connection or not, it's something that could potentially lead to more movement in human beings, and is therefore not a bad thing. i don't see how it could be construed as a negative.

Instro

Stumpokapow said:
yes, assuming there is a totally different system that we don't know about where you can unlock achievements, that would be an achievement system. but this isn't any more than the pokewalker is an achievement system.

the pillars of something being an achievement system are:
1) a set of in-game actions or behaviours are codified into a checklist
2) performing these behaviours checks off the item on the list, which may or may not contribute to an overall score and may or may not result in in-game benefits or unlocks
3) these lists can be shared and compared

Correct, Im just suggesting that this coin system would work well with an achievement system or something similar.

DarkWish

The best part about this to me is the fact that it means more people will use the StreetPass functionality. More people carrying around their 3DS to earn coins means more 3DS systems out in the wild to connect with. Very clever.

zigg

I think this is the first thing I've actually been intrigued about re the 3DS since StreetPass was first hinted at last E3.

Top Bottom