• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A new Ip blows you away. Which do you want next - Sequel or prequel?

Which would you want as the next game in a new franchise?

• Sequel

Votes: 33 45.2%
  • Prequel

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • Either/No preference

Votes: 9 12.3%
  • Depends on the story/world

Votes: 27 37.0%

• Total voters
A new ip gets released. It has an Interesting world, characters, mechanics, or plot.
It's received well and another entry in that franchise is announced.

Which would you want it to be, Sequel or Prequel?

Kokoloko85

That really depends on the story / lore / characters etc

E.G -

Give me a prequel to MGS2 - A prime Solid Snake doing his thing.

Demon Souls, Gimme a prequel. Ghost of Tsushima give me a Sequel.

But when it comes to TLOU, Id like a different take set in the same universe. With different characters in a different part of the world, either before or after TLOU1. Id like to see how it all went to shit

Pikmin... Give me a sequel lol

Last edited:

NahaNago

A sequel since you would probably want more of that main character. An eventual prequel since you would want to explore side characters. Plus like those above me have mentioned it also depends on other factors.

an example would be I like mega man legends and I also like the Bonne family. I wanted a sequel of mega man legends but I would also love to see how the Bonne family became who they are

Last edited:
That question doesn't make much sense without more context.
That really depends on the story / lore / characters etc
I realized I tend to want a prequel more than a sequel.
Something about wanting the world to be fleshed out more before the sequel tries to top the events in the first game.

But yeah, of course it all depends on the content of the first game.

Last edited:

Esca

I prefer a new ip then go back the sequel after the new ip. Not a big fan of having more and more sequels all the time. I tend to lose interest in a like of sequels unless they are far a part.

Arachnid

99% of the time, I'd rather have a sequel. I'd rather move the story forward into unknowns than live an outcome I already know is going to happen.

D3SCHA1N

Whether a sequel or prequel were to follow a new IP's debut would depend on a multitude of factors. For example, a prequel to RDR1 made a lot more sense considering the context and setting the first game took place in and the entire premise being the "end of the wild west" era. Making a sequel to that game wouldn't even make sense.

Aenima

Depends how the story ends. Usually the stories end with room for a sequel, but for example i liked so much how TLOU ended that i would rather had a prequel.

Arachnid

Metal gear games must drive you insane then. They basically became prequels of prequels by Phantom Pain.
I think Metal Gear is actually the exception. There isn't anything you can do story wise with the Snakes after 4. All the best heroes and series villains are dead at this point (I've got no interest in Raiden, and he's never getting another tactical espionage sneaking title after how OP he was in MGS4 and Revengence). That makes it super hard to make any more sequels, which made Peace Walker and MGSV acceptable. MGS3 was fine for me because I was younger, so at the time I didn't have a preference. I just thought playing as Snake again but this time in the past was a cool concept. Otherwise, I know I was always a lot less hyped for Big Bosses games than I always have been for Solid just for that reason.

Like someone else already said, I just want to play as Prime Solid Snake again at this point. Prequels and remakes are all I have to look forward to with this series lol.

Last edited:
I realized I tend to want a prequel more than a sequel.
Something about wanting the world to be fleshed out more before the sequel tries to top the events in the first game.

But yeah, of course it all depends on the content of the first game.
What if it's a long running franchise? Would it just keep going further and further backwards?

What if it's a long running franchise? Would it just keep going further and further backwards?
The stipulation was for the very next game in a new franchise.

I mean, of course sequels are the next step in a regular franchise release progression.

This was a question about personal preference.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Well I want a prequel to BOTW so I can do all the cool stuff that happened BEFORE the game.

Edit: I realize one second later that yes, we have the new Hyrule Warriors. Nice joke, Nintendo (y)

Last edited:

graywolf323

Gold Member
usually sequel but it does depend on story/lore

like a Legend of Dragoon prequel set during the Dragon Campaign would be pretty awesome

Corgi1985

Banned
I'd like a sequel that dumbs down all the systems to baby's first videogame and butchers the interesting worldbuilding set up in the first game

RileyPust

Neo Member
Obviously, as others have said, it depends on the story. For argument's sake, I went with sequel. Personally I'm usually more interested in seeing a world that has been meaningfully affected by the events I experienced in the first game.

I'm defining a 'sequel' as something that directly continues a storyline, and a 'prequel' as something that occurs before the first game but still directly ties in. If I had my choice, I'd choose neither option and opt for games with a shared universe but an entirely independent story. I would have been cool if they never touched Joel and Ellie after TLoU and just had a separate cast of characters, showing you a different overall perspective of the world they created.

I'd like a sequel that dumbs down all the systems to baby's first videogame and butchers the interesting worldbuilding set up in the first game
Welcome to Destiny 2!

I would usually prefer a sequel, but some games I want to go back. I want to play Gears of War: Aspho Fields and the like.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It depends. Uncharted 4 has reached near the ceiling, so I would love a prequel before U1. We've had a taste of that in U3 as well.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Banned
A prequel is interesting depending on the setting and characters.

Star Wars prequels were supposed to make you see how Darth Vader came to be and how Palpatine rose to power, so they made sense.

Fear the Walkind Dead was *supposed* to show you how society crumbled into what you see near the end of Walking Dead's first episode (but it failed spectacularly).

In general, many people detest prequels because they tell events that have already transpired. Those people won't be interested in say, a WarCraft prequel telling how the orcs first appeared in Azeroth, because they already know the orcs are here *now* and the prequel won't change the story they already know (it will only enrich it).

For me, like I said above, it depends on what part of the story is told, and what characters it contains. If Shao Kahn was my favorite Mortal Kombat character and Boon announced an MK prequel which was about how Shao Kahn became the ruler of Outworld, I would be hype as fuck.

mrabott

It depends on the franchise.
For example, Horizon Zero Dawn, I would like a prequel playing in the last months of life on planet Earth. God of War, a prequel showing how Kratos arrived in the Nordic lands. However, I would like a sequel to the Infamous franchise.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I'm not a fan of prequels unless it's really a solid origin story of something that was barely touched in the first game. But even then I don't like playing the game already knowing how some story arcs will end. Sequels all the way.

AJUMP23

depends on the story i guess.

you can have a prequel without retconning.

look at RDR2. that's a prequel and respects the original game. it's actually interesting if you go replay RDR1 after 2. that's a prequel done right.
You can, but it feels hard to do. And RDR2 is one of the greatest games ever made.

Top Bottom