'A new level of inhumanity': Dems denounce WH idea to release migrants in sanctuary cities

dolabla

Oct 9, 2013
Wait... what.........: https://www.yahoo.com/news/apos-level-inhumanity-apos-democrats-034120778.html

WASHINGTON – The revelation late Thursday that the White House tried multiple times to pressure immigration authorities into releasing migrants on the streets of sanctuary citiesdid not go over well with Democrats, who denounced the Trump administration as cruel.

The plan, reported by the Washington Post, was concocted to retaliate against Democrats and target sanctuary cities in liberal strongholds. It didn't come to fruition after pushback from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, the Post reported. ICE rejected the idea after at first thinking it was a joke, the Post reported.

Members of Congress and immigration advocates called the idea inhumane and called for those within President Donald Trump's administration to be held accountable.

"This reporting exposes yet a new level of inhumanity in this Administration," Rep. Marcy Kaptur, D-Ohio, wrote on Twitter. "Those who pursued this disgusting policy are beneath the dignity of the offices they hold and must be held to account."
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's district was specifically targeted, according to the Post, noting that the White House wanted to transport migrants into her congressional district in San Francisco.

Ashley Etienne, a spokeswoman for Pelosi, called the proposal "despicable."
"The extent of this Administration’s cynicism and cruelty cannot be overstated," Etienne said in a statement. "Using human beings — including little children — as pawns in their warped game to perpetuate fear and demonize immigrants is despicable, and in some cases, criminal."

Rep. Mike Quigley, D-Ill., agreed.
"Immigrants are people. Not pawns to deploy in the President's petty political fights," Quigley said on Twitter. "@realDonaldTrump’s cruelty knows no limits."

Former Secretary of Housing and Urban Development, Julián Castro, who is running for president in 2020, reacted to the news live on CNN during a town hall.

"The cruelty of this administration never seems to end," Castro said, noting the list of Trump's immigration policies that have been criticized or challenged in court. "These folks want us to choose cruelty as a weapon against these people and against political opponents."

Actress and activist Alyssa Milano called the proposal "so sick and twisted." Other activists chimed in, also denouncing the idea.
"Trump is failing and flailing at the border, so he’s looking to blame Democrats with a desperate and cynical ploy. Despicable," said Frank Sharry, president of America’s Voice, a progressive group that advocates for immigration-system reform. "This is what you’d expect from an out-of-control 12-year-old bully, not a president of the United States."

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
You would think it would help all parties involved. Dems get to welcome them in a safe environment and treat them humanely with Democrat hospitality.

But seems Democrat hospitality is not what it's cracked up to be. This is no way to treat guests :unsure:
I understand their complaint: "Trump is just doing this to mess with us and force our hand".

Uhhh... yeah? Welcome to politics. They stomped their feet and complained when Green New Deal was pushed to a vote, too. "How dare they make us vote on the bill that will save humanity within 12 years!" and the result was all their bluster and showmanship went down the toilet.

Once again, Democrats don't want to be held accountable for their policies.

The smart thing to do would be to wear a grin and say "bring it on!" Democrats are huge cowards and this is just another example of it. They'll preach about noble causes until they actually have to put up, then they clam up. Republicans used to pull this card all the time with "muh Christian voting bloc". This kind of backpedaling doesn't win elections.

dolabla

Oct 9, 2013
I understand their complaint: "Trump is just doing this to mess with us and force our hand".

Uhhh... yeah? Welcome to politics. They stomped their feet and complained when Green New Deal was pushed to a vote, too. "How dare they make us vote on the bill that will save humanity within 12 years!" and the result was all their bluster and showmanship went down the toilet.

Once again, Democrats don't want to be held accountable for their policies.

The smart thing to do would be to wear a grin and say "bring it on!" Democrats are huge cowards and this is just another example of it. They'll preach about noble causes until they actually have to put up, then they clam up. Republicans used to pull this card all the time with "muh Christian voting bloc". This kind of backpedaling doesn't win elections.
No doubt. When push comes to shove, they can't even back their own policies. I love when Trump does shit like this so all the hypocrisy is on display.

Shaqazooloo

Nov 3, 2018
Canada
I don't understand... Donald Trump is proposing sending them to sanctuary cities like San Francisco and the dems are opposed to it? Is that right?

infinitys_7th

Oct 1, 2006
Of course they don't like it - they want illegals migrants but they don't want to deal with them personally :messenger_grinning:
What Democrats want (and what Republicans want as well, but would piss off their base) is for illegals to settle in rural areas. This way they can continue working as a slave caste and low-skill caste without adding further poverty to their failing boondoggle cities like San Francisco and Seattle.

Then, their kids, being raised in a household which will carry over the collectivist, Catholic, almost identitarian Hispanic culture, will then then vote Democrat (what Democrats want, and what will happen) or social conservative (what SoCon Republicans want, but will never happen because the kids will statistically be atheistic). This also allow Democrats to hack the electoral college.

I wish Trump had accepted this - it would have been a brilliant political move. In one stroke he would have just moved more Democrats into Democrat states to protect the electoral college and proved the concept of state government barring constitutionally granted federal authority (as sanctuary cities actively hinder immigration enforcement, rather than jus doing nothing) to be a farce.

Last edited:

Shaqazooloo

Nov 3, 2018
Canada
That's correct. Crazy, isn't it?
And they're also calling it cruel? Thats a real bad look, they obviously don't want to deal with it, but at the same time they want to use it to claim moral superiority and demonize the opposition. It's on full display.

Nov 17, 2012
Ohio
As a pretty liberal person this really isn't a good look for us. A system where migrants get placed in Sanctuary Cities while they await finding out if they will be able to stay should be welcome(A much better solution than a crowded facilities). Most of those Sanctuary Cities are desired location for migrants as they are looking for areas with the most perceived opptunities (Which isn't a rural area in a middle of fucking no where) and it gives them an opportunity to make connections within the community giving them an upper hand if they are eventually allowed to stay. Well I'm sure their additional context to this at least the way it's being reported even on CNN it's making the Democratic party look like Hypocrites.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Am I in bizaro land? Isn't the point of sanctuary cities to give sactuary to illegal immigrants? How is this cruel or inhumane?

I swear tomorrow Trump will release the cure for cancer and Democrats will call it cruel and do everything to prevent its release LOL.

Great move by Trump to make Dems look stupid.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Am I in bizaro land? Isn't the point of sanctuary cities to give sactuary to illegal immigrants? How is this cruel or inhumane?

I swear tomorrow Trump will release the cure for cancer and Democrats will call it cruel and do everything to prevent its release LOL.

He's exposing them.

Honk Honk.

infinitys_7th

Oct 1, 2006

The only complaint they cn muster is a Kantian one about Trump using illegals as part of a political ploy, but any refusal to accept them is just as much using the illegals as a means and not an end. It is brilliant.

Freedom Gate Co.

Please ELI5
Oct 10, 2018
www.kickstarter.com
Sending them into black Communities for decades? A-ok for the democrats.

Sending them to Democrat Illegal sanctuarys outside the black communities? Not ok with the democrats.

So wait, I though the democrats were supposed to be the ones that weren't racist?

dolabla

Oct 9, 2013
More. Los Angeles Mayor says it's hateful. Hilarious seeing these virtue signaling politicians stumbling all over themselves: https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Garcetti-Calls-Plan-to-Release-Immigrant-Detainees-Into-Sanctuary-Cities-Hateful-508507891.html

Friday, Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti called an announcement by President Donald Trump that he is considering releasing immigrant detainees into sanctuary cities "hateful" and a "waste of time."a

Trump said on Twitter Friday that his administration is giving "strong considerations" to the idea. His comments followed a Washington Post report that the administration had been looking at releasing detainees into districts of political adversaries, including that of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-San Francisco.

"The Radical Left always seems to have an Open Borders, Open Arms policy - so this should make them very happy!" Trump wrote.

According to The Post, immigration officials rejected the idea in November and February, and Trump's tweet contradicted an official White House statement sent on Thursday that the idea was no longer under consideration.

Garcetti, a Democrat who considered running for president in 2020 to oppose the Republican Trump before abandoning the idea in January, took to Twitter himself to respond to Trump's plan, and said, "The Trump Administration's latest hateful idea is nothing more than a needless distraction and a waste of time. We need real solutions that uphold our values - not disgraceful policies that demonize immigrants and will never become reality."

The Los Angeles City Council unanimously approved a resolution in February declaring Los Angeles a "city of sanctuary" for immigrants, although it is non-binding and did not change any city laws.

While there is no legal definition of a sanctuary city, it generally applies to municipalities that limit cooperation with federal authorities on immigration enforcement. Embracing the term has become a way for cities to defy Trump, who has tried to cut off some federal funding to sanctuary cities.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018

Teletraan1

May 17, 2012
Canada
Illegal immigrants commit less crimes than normal citizens, they are a net positive financially, illegal immigration rates are lower than in the 90s so big whoop, if you are against illegal immigration you must hate brown people.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Someone needs to bump the 4D chess thread because I might be changing my mind.

This and the Ilhan tweet is Trump just messing with Democrats.

Shaqazooloo

Nov 3, 2018
Canada
So all these democrats that are against this are gonna be called out as racists right? They're against bringing in illegals so that means they're racist right?

Also, really curious we haven't seen the usual suspects come in and blindly defend demacrats...

Boss Mog

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
And they're also calling it cruel? Thats a real bad look, they obviously don't want to deal with it, but at the same time they want to use it to claim moral superiority and demonize the opposition. It's on full display.
It's virtue signaling 101, pretend to care deeply about a problem that in reality you don't want to deal with.

zelo-ca

Jan 26, 2018
Illegal immigrants commit less crimes than normal citizens, they are a net positive financially, illegal immigration rates are lower than in the 90s so big whoop, if you are against illegal immigration you must hate brown people.
You have to be joking. Go look at statistics they are not a net positive you dolt. I hope you're just trolling.

Last edited:

Teletraan1

May 17, 2012
Canada
You have to be joking. Go look at statistics they are not a net positive you dolt. I hope you're just trolling.
I am using a handful of talking points used here by left wing posters to object to the wall. Funny how these talking points don't stand up when these illegal immigrants are about to be placed in sanctuary cities. I am perfectly aware how incorrect/disingenuous those statements are.

Darkangel

Jul 16, 2011
Canada
This sounds like the kind of boomer plan my grandfather would come up with during a BBQ. Wouldn't the people (once released) simply head to their original destinations? Obviously the idea here is that by dumping everyone at once it will overload local resources and give the R's a "told you so!" moment. If refugees were actually processed as refugees they would be legal residents and distributed more evenly.

I'm totally against illegal immigration but this whole situation has me rolling my eyes.

TheShadowLord

Jan 7, 2018
If refugees were actually processed as refugees they would be legal residents and distributed more evenly.

I'm totally against illegal immigration but this whole situation has me rolling my eyes.
That would depend rather or not this administration would want to treat them as refugees. I doubt that though