• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A new PlayStation 5 exclusive FINAL FANTASY game will be announced in June

BlackM1st

Banned
cl3pnT8.jpg

Believe.
it hurts lol

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
watcxh it be World Of Final Fantasy 2

:messenger_crying:
Not sure why sad face, World of Final Fantasy was a fun game that was a breath of fresh air after so many action Final Fantasy games. I'd be okay with another return to turn based / ATB games.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Each expansion for FFXIV has added more storyline than practically every other FF title in history. Final Fantasy as a whole is alive because of the name and pretty graphics....
FFXIV: A Realm Reborn 2013
FFXIV: Heavensward 2015
FFXIV: Stormblood 2017
FFXIV: Shadowbringers 2019
FFXIV: Endwalker 2021 (soooooooon)
Sorry, but as good as FFXIV might be, it is saddled with an MMO grindfest and not what many people want in their FF. I played it in 2014 for 2 months or so and really did not like the grinding aspect at all.

EDMIX

FFVII Remake Part 2 probably.
I mean but listen to what they're saying.

"Just to set expectations: It's something new. Not as high-end as FFXVI or Forespoken but certainly more significant than World of FF or a remaster."

I would assume Final Fantasy XVI and Forespoken is in that ballpark high-end so to say not more significant than that must mean they are not talkin about Final Fantasy 7 remake.

So I'm not really sure what they're talkin about especially when they're saying very specifically exclusive Final Fantasy game. At first I thought they were probably talking about that Babylon game.

Then I remembered they're saying Final Fantasy. Maybe they are ready to announce the next Final Fantasy MMO or Maybe they actually are working on a remake of another Final Fantasy game ( people need to consider a remake does not always need to be made in-house look at all the stuff Blue Point has made for Sony) plus didn't Square say something about wanting to do more remakes or some info came out on something about them getting some team specifically to do something like that?

I can see a new online FF.

Very well could be.

All the Bravest HD

Could be, they do say Final Fantasy though, maybe Square considers that FF or something internally. They did say not a remaster, so a remake of the series? They did say they want to have it on many platforms, but my money is on a remake of older FF titles or FF Online.

driqe

Final Fantasy is essentially dead on Xbox. As bad as the games may be, the franchise has its fans. I'm curious to see how/if Xbox will respond.

Lethal01

I'll take a guess.

Final Fantasy 7 Dirge of Cerberus remake (But they changed it from 3rd person shooter to the action RPG style of FF7Re)

514SSA3HZ7L._SY445_.jpg

My bet:

Sony is already getting the FFVII Remake, so to complete the FFVII storyline they're adding the remake of Crysis Core (a gem of a game tha only those with a PSP could play) and/or perhaps Dirge of Cerberus.

They are already remaking Dirge of Cerberus Crisis core, advent children and just about everything from the FF7 Canon in Ever Crisis, looks great.

WCCFfinalfantasy7evercrisis1-1030x579.jpg

I'm getting deja vu about the unprecedented Gamecube partnership that only gave us Crystal Chronicles.

It's not a major game but bigger than WoF.

EDMIX

They are already remaking Dirge of Cerberus Crisis core, advent children and just about everything from the FF7 Canon in Ever Crisis, looks great.

WCCFfinalfantasy7evercrisis1-1030x579.jpg

oh yea, I completely forgot about that shit lol

I'm just waiting for them to port it over to PS4/PS5.....we all know its coming so.... I think its a great idea and makes complete sense to have all of them linked, redone, brought up to date etc. Because the person is making a big deal about it being a FF, but not a remaster, port etc, it tells me it might very well be a AAA remake of an older FF title.

https://www.vg247.com/2021/03/01/square-enix-remakes-forever-entertainment/

Maybe this is the company that will be doing a bunch of remakes or something.

I think the should start with FF 1 and 2, but who knows how beefy those remakes will be, for all we know they are massive AAA Unreal Engine 5 remakes and share many of the same assets and they are looking to remake the first titles.

Last edited:
This year's E3 (or Summer Game Fest) has me excited. Dragon Quest XII has been teased for a reveal this year for a while now and we're possibly also getting Deus Ex 5 from Eidos Montreal along with another Final Fantasy while also waiting to see more of Final Fantasy XVI.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Lot of love for Tactics on here, and even on Resetera as well. Love to see it.

Would be rather serendipities if it ended up actually being a new Tatics entry for PS5 lol
Like could you imagine? Even with Matsuno-san writing as well, or maybe that's asking for too much? haha.

Kumomeme

new Dssidia perhaps

dont expect something big. even the source said that. dont think square even has spare team for that.

Dacon

Banned
Coming from Navtra, who has leaked tons of Square stuff during the past year (Project Athia, Final Fantasy XVI's exclusivity, Avengers' Spider-Man PlayStation exclusivity, FF7 Remake Intergrade, Life Is Strange: True Colors...)

https://www.resetera.com/threads/pl...s-in-post-14649.407436/page-346#post-65417462

UPDATE

https://www.resetera.com/threads/pl...s-in-post-14649.407436/page-347#post-65420492

https://www.resetera.com/threads/pl...s-in-post-14649.407436/page-347#post-65420663

Weren't they hiring and outsourcing projects for remakes of older square games?

Maybe a toned down remake of an old FF game more in line with the style of those times.

Last edited:
I would love it, but I doubt it'd be of the same caliber as the original Tactics. Square would have to bring back Matsuno on board for one last job. Otherwise it may have solid gameplay and nice aesthetics like Tactics Advance 1/2 but not the storytelling of the original.

Personally I'd prefer an AA 3D RPG (NOT a Bravely Default/Octopath knock-off) with turn-based combat.

In any case if it's an Ivalice game I'll be beyond stoked, regardless of how it turns out.

Handel

Might care if it's something to do with Tactics, and even then would remain skeptical.
Final Fantasy is essentially dead on Xbox. As bad as the games may be, the franchise has its fans. I'm curious to see how/if Xbox will respond.
The first FF game put on an Xbox console was XIII, one of the worst in the series. Then they got the unfinished XV. These last couple years have seen the older, better titles join GamePass, but then SE goes and cucks Xbox fans with their first chance at a good "new" FF release with VIIR timed exclusivity. SE only have themselves to blame for not fostering a fanbase on Xbox.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Lethal01

oh yea, I completely forgot about that shit lol

I'm just waiting for them to port it over to PS4/PS5.....we all know its coming so.... I think its a great idea and makes complete sense to have all of them linked, redone, brought up to date etc. Because the person is making a big deal about it being a FF, but not a remaster, port etc, it tells me it might very well be a AAA remake of an older FF title.

We really don't, that's extremely wishful thinking. Square has tons of mobile only games. It's likely, but I'd say just play it on an emulator.

FingerBang

I've got a few guesses...

I'm guessing it's a completely new game, so you're all off.
I'm guessing that, despite the name, it won't be a classic RPG. It will have RPG elements though.
I'm guessing it will be made by an external studio, a Japanese one.
I'm guessing there will be a showcase with a demo soon.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Sorry, but as good as FFXIV might be, it is saddled with an MMO grindfest and not what many people want in their FF. I played it in 2014 for 2 months or so and really did not like the grinding aspect at all.

Jup u need to be a propper autist to get through that questing system. took me 300 hours.

Go_Ly_Dow

Sort of expecting VII part II to be announced in June. Nomura teased he wanted to show it off already. Intergrade is releasing and so is E3. Perfect time to announce it.

Perrott

Gold Member
From Reddit:

-It's being developed by an external studio that has worked with Square Enix in the past
-Said studio has a mixed track record in the leaker's opinion, although he says that "the team behind the game has a very good reputation with the genre it'll be tackling"
-Won't be a numbered title or a new entry in an existing subseries (it would actually be the start of an entirely new subseries)
-It is set in an existing world and lore: Ivalice
-Won't be an RPG "in the sense people are thinking"
-It's not a Warriors/musou type of game

So... Platinum Games x Final Fantasy?

Last edited:

GuinGuin

Banned
From Reddit:

-It's being developed by an external studio that has worked with Square Enix in the past
-Said studio has a mixed track record in the leaker's opinion, although he says that "the team behind the game has a very good reputation with the genre it'll be tackling"
-Won't be a numbered title or a new entry in an existing subseries (it would actually be the start of an entirely new subseries)

Still sounds like it could be tactics.

Thirty7ven

Banned
From Reddit:

Sounds more like a Souls like Final Fantasy by Team Ninja.

FingerBang

From Reddit:

Not platinum, still Japanese though, and I agree with the fact that they have a very good reputation with the genre.

I mean, I guess.

Sounds more like a Souls like Final Fantasy by Team Ninja.

Oh, maybe say it's more similar to Nioh and we might have a winner

Last edited:

John Wick

Sony have 45 billion in cash, most of which is lying in accounts and we have high inflation at the moment.... meaning they will be more inclined to spend than let it diminish in value.

Square are down to 6.17 billion market cap and is a Japanese company, 30% of the company is Anime and Film. It just makes sense. Anime depends on Sony for western distribution anyway.

Nobody will outbid them, Sony have more cash than Tencent and Square will not sell to Microsoft or an american company.
Also Tencent is Chinese so no way it would ever be sold to them

Top Bottom